Friday, November 17, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: Friday, November 17, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by nlw44 »

mrparadise wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:43 pm
teapot37 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:08 pm I never considered Vermont, because I knew it became a state in 1791 (the year before Kentucky). So for me, the year in clue was an an anti-TOM.
A state capital since 1805 ruled out every state except the 13 colonies, Vermont and Kentucky. I'm usually not so hot with word clues but I had the good fortune to immediately think of Vermont so it was close to an instaget.
How are you ruling out Tennessee (1792) and Ohio (1803) based only on 1805? Unless there is some commonly known (except to me) factoid about Nashville and/or Columbus that immediately dismisses them.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Johnblue »

FJ took about ten seconds but how did none of them get it?? Anyway, disappointing final after great start. More difficult DJ round today but the 1st round was fairly easy.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

mrparadise wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:43 pm
teapot37 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:08 pm I never considered Vermont, because I knew it became a state in 1791 (the year before Kentucky). So for me, the year in clue was an an anti-TOM.
A state capital since 1805 ruled out every state except the 13 colonies, Vermont and Kentucky. I'm usually not so hot with word clues but I had the good fortune to immediately think of Vermont so it was close to an instaget.
This was my reckoning as well, and I'm surprised Austin picked a midwestern state. The only trickery I was worried about was the phrasing that "since 1805" might indicate a relocated capital, but I would never have known the earlier one anyway.
I just thought about the state name endings that might match cities and made a nice syllable. York, nope. Ania, Lina, Inia, Setts, Ucky, nope. Mont - bingo.

Yes, Spoonerism. A term we all have been subjected to as tribal knowledge that is otherwise a useless word that will just get you a "say what?" if you ever try to use it. I'm not 100% sure that "Freudian slip" should be negged, but I think they used an actual example from the Reverend Spooner in the clue.

I decided to be on team Alan for rooting purposes, but yeah, slow down and re-think the clue on a DD. The ball and socket was a top box clue - at the 2K level you should have to name the head of the femur (condyle) and acetabulum. But, as previously posted, Buzzy made the ballsy wager in advance of the softball clue.

Great game and fun to watch. The boards only seemed hard when Alan was wiping out YEKIOYDS.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Full disclosure: I’d never heard of Consumer Celullar before this TOC!

I always thought it was a “ball-in-socket” joint. I’m having heart palpitations imagining myself going TDD in game 2 of a TOC final and losing on that slip up

Alan’s DD also took me to Freudian slip first, but it made no sense so I thought another second and got to the right eponym

Caballero! The Spanish equivalent of my last name!

Also 2/2 on the Final Finals

Feel really good about how I performed relative to the champions. Just need to get The Call now ... tic toc Clarisse :shock:
Last edited by morbeedo on Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:08 pm Yes, Spoonerism. A term we all have been subjected to as tribal knowledge that is otherwise a useless word that will just get you a "say what?" if you ever try to use it. I'm not 100% sure that "Freudian slip" should be negged, but I think they used an actual example from the Reverend Spooner in the clue.
I don't remember the exact wording of the DD, but it definitely had the reversed first letters that are the hallmarks of a Spoonerism. So I think that Spoonerism was the only correct response.

Somewhat sloppy but very exciting ToC finals, great TV!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:02 pm I know it's a common error, but I'm sort of surprised the judges didn't neg Buzzy for his response of tricep.
Agreed. Not sure how that one got through without a neg.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Peter the accountant wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:13 pm Had Alan got that DD right, he would have gone into FJ! with 22400 for the day, and have to risk 20001 to protect from a double by Buzzy. Buzzy would normally wager 14399, leaving him with 2 more than Alan if they both neg on FJ.

BUT! Austin becomes a factor here. Buzzy would limit his wager to the same 1301 he actually wagered to protect from Austin coming up behind him. (That's a quirk of the math due to the tournament format and their previous day scores.)

So in the end, Buzzy still wins on a TS, but Austin and Alan swap places.
Wagering suggestions and predictions if Alan had gotten his DD:

Code: Select all

Buzzy:     0 25600 25600 51200
Alan:   8800 22400 31200 53600
Austin: 6500 10200 16700 26900
Alan: Bet $20,001 to cover Buzzy.
Buzzy: Bet $1,301 to cover Austin.
Austin: If Alan covers Buzzy and misses FJ, he'll drop below your cumulative score to $11,199, but you can't beat Buzzy by staying above that. Bet at least $7,600, but you might as well bet it all if you're betting above $5,500.

Likely results on triple miss: Alan loses $20,001 and finishes with $11,199, Buzzy loses $1,301 and finishes with $24,299, and Austin loses $10,000 and finishes with $6,700. The standings are the same, and only Alan's score changes.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Vermontpelier is something I've previously noticed on my own, like how KentucKY ends with its abbreviation (which I managed to notice while trying to think of FJ precalls for this game) and AlbaNY ends with its state's abbreviation (which hasn't been in an FJ yet; keep it in your back pocket!).
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:38 pm
dhkendall wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:08 pm Then the mid-south (whatever you call the area south of the Ohio, east of the Mississippi, and west of the Appalachians).
FYI, that region is generally referred to as the Deep South.
"Deep South" usually refers to the cotton states. A good bit of it is east of Appalachia. The area described by dhkendall would include parts of Kentucky, Tennessee, and Mississippi, and not much else.
I'm smart and I want respect.
flemmingfan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by flemmingfan »

Yes, this was a memorable game with great contestants worthy of a Champion's final and what a comeback for Buzzy. I wonder if his tieless attire had anything to do with it. BTW, I think Buzzy would be an acceptable successor to AT (and he was warned)
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

OSXpert wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:52 pm Austin posted a reasonably funny reaction video to today's result.
He should have done it in a 1991 Mercedes.
kprather895
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kprather895 »

For "hero sandwich"/"ham sandwich", do you accept "hoagie sandwich"?
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

Based on a certain other thread, I assume I wasn't the only one who laughed when the MONSTER MASH category was revealed.

I spent all the think time on this FJ wandering around the midwest and Louisiana Purchasey areas. Because there are only so many states, I paused it after time ran out, and about a minute into that, I remembered not every New England state was one of the original 13. I got it quickly after that.

Fun tournament!
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

morbeedo wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:21 pmI always thought it was a “ball-in-socket” joint. I’m having heart palpitations imagining myself going TDD in game 2 of a TOC final and losing on that slip up
A little bit of mumbling might be your friend here. Something that sounds like "ball 'n socket" might cover both bases. :D

Of course, the judges could stop the game and ask you to clarify. In which case, you'd better know which one is right!
--Peter
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

flemmingfan wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:43 am BTW, I think Buzzy would be an acceptable successor to AT (and he was warned)
Seconded. And the best game show host moniker since Wink Martindale or Guy Smiley.
Peter the accountant

seaborgium wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:46 pmLikely results on triple miss: Alan loses $20,001 and finishes with $11,199, Buzzy loses $1,301 and finishes with $24,299, and Austin loses $10,000 and finishes with $6,700. The standings are the same, and only Alan's score changes.
On yet another pass at the numbers and logic, I agree.

Back to the reality: Is Buzzy's total of 24,299 one of the lowest 2 day totals to win any tournament?
--Peter
Peter the accountant

dinghammer wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:32 am I spent all the think time on this FJ wandering around the midwest and Louisiana Purchasey areas. Because there are only so many states, I paused it after time ran out, and about a minute into that, I remembered not every New England state was one of the original 13. I got it quickly after that.
I was including the original colonies, assuming that one or more of them may have changed their capital city since 1776.
--Peter
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Peter the accountant wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:48 am
I was including the original colonies, assuming that one or more of them may have changed their capital city since 1776.
And rightly, as Teapot37's post makes clear.
I'm smart and I want respect.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Peter the accountant wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:45 am Back to the reality: Is Buzzy's total of 24,299 one of the lowest 2 day totals to win any tournament?
As far as ToCs go, Vijay Balse won with $23,000, and Celeste DiNucci won with $22,000. Pre-doubling ToCs saw Robin Carroll win with $8,000. So if we double old ToC finals, Buzzy's finish is fourth-lowest.

Other lower-scoring tournament winners in reverse chronological order:
Brad Rutter won the Battle of the Decades with $21,800.
Patrick Quinn won his Teachers Tournament with $22,300.
Vinita Kailasanath won her College Championship with $22,401.
Leonard Schmidt won his Seniors Tournament (pre-doubling) with $11,200.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:41 pm
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:02 pm I know it's a common error, but I'm sort of surprised the judges didn't neg Buzzy for his response of tricep.
Agreed. Not sure how that one got through without a neg.
While we're at it, I wonder why Alan wasn't negged for saying The Enemy of the People, when it's An Enemy of the People. I know it's okay to drop articles, but can you use the wrong one? Maybe the title being translated from Norwegian makes the judges allow some leeway. Anyone have any insight?

Being UVM class of '86 did not get me that FJ--needed an extra 10-15 seconds with the DVR paused.
In and out of the pool four times