Friday, November 17, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: Friday, November 17, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by AFRET CMS »

kprather895 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:10 am For "hero sandwich"/"ham sandwich", do you accept "hoagie sandwich"?
I would, but I'm a little biased -- that was my response.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

AFRET CMS wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:37 pm
kprather895 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:10 am For "hero sandwich"/"ham sandwich", do you accept "hoagie sandwich"?
No question - if hero is the expected answer hoagie's correct too. I said "ham" and was a little unsure they'd take the neg back since you can see 2 kinds of meat in the sandwich they showed...but I'm glad they did.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

davey wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:15 am
No question - if hero is the expected answer hoagie's correct too. I said "ham" and was a little unsure they'd take the neg back since you can see 2 kinds of meat in the sandwich they showed...but I'm glad they did.
Well, we could see it. But we have a clearer view of visual clues.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey

Post by davey »

NPR/Will Shortz concluded a quiz this weekend similar to this FJ-

Clue-
Spoiler
Last week's challenge: This challenge came from listener Steve Baggish of Arlington, Mass. Take the name of a U.S. state capital. Immediately to the right of it write the name of a world capital. If you have the right ones, the name of a U.S. state will be embedded in consecutive letters within that letter string. What three places are these?

Solution-
Spoiler
Answer: State capital: Denver, Colo. or Dover, Del.; National capital: Montevideo, Uruguay; Embedded state name: Vermont
I'm not the sure the FJ rises to the level of "wordplay," but at least the 4 letters are a meaningful syllable that means the same thing in each word. I admire those who used logic - my only strategy was to go through the list of states, if only I'd started with Wyoming - but I could imagine the syllable just popping into one's head too because it's a little more than a random connection...
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Peter the accountant wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:33 pm
Wheatley wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:20 pm I think accidentals is acceptable - the clue only gave the definition of the word, and nothing that would make the band The Black Keys be the only possible answer
The musician in me is forced to disagree. In music, an accidental is a note that's not in the key of the music being played. If you're playing in the key of F, a Bb - a black key - is in the F scale. If you played a B natural, that would be an accidental, and would be a white key on the piano.
My ex-wife the conservatory graduate says "accidental" is music-speak for "wrong note."
TomFromMD
Valued Contributor

Post by TomFromMD »

Three kinds, no less. I said hoagie too. No question it would be accepted. Accepting "ham" was generous. If you order a ham sandwich and are served something with salami, someone screwed up your order. "Freudian slip" was at least as good an answer, IMHO.

"These slips of the tongue that bear a man’s name include “It is now kisstomary to cuss the bride.""

If you hate the bride, you might make that Spoonerism as a Freudian slip.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

TomFromMD wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:29 pm
Three kinds, no less. I said hoagie too. No question it would be accepted. Accepting "ham" was generous. If you order a ham sandwich and are served something with salami, someone screwed up your order. "Freudian slip" was at least as good an answer, IMHO.

"These slips of the tongue that bear a man’s name include “It is now kisstomary to cuss the bride.""

I'm going to disagree on the hoagie thing. I think sandwich is implied in hoagie, so saying "hoagie sandwich" is redundant. For some reason I don't think the same applies to "hero sandwich" -- I think you need the word "sandwich" there. But what do I know? Where I live these are called "grinders."
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Woppy T wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:20 pm

I'm going to disagree on the hoagie thing. I think sandwich is implied in hoagie, so saying "hoagie sandwich" is redundant. For some reason I don't think the same applies to "hero sandwich" -- I think you need the word "sandwich" there. But what do I know? Where I live these are called "grinders."
The category was 'starts and ends with 'H'' so '...sandwich' is required to meet category requirements.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Volante wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:25 pm

The category was 'starts and ends with 'H'' so '...sandwich' is required to meet category requirements.
Ooops -- I mispoke in my original response. My actual response was either "heroh" or "hogieh". Might have been "hamh".

Thankfully,misplaced sihlent Hs don't affect an FJ outcome! (FJ 3/21/17)
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

After seeing this weeks contestants, I just thought it was in interesting coincidence that one of the Friday contestants is from a former state capital, Corydon, Indiana.
rouquinne
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by rouquinne »

squarekara wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:55 pm
Just kidding, guys! But, honestly, there are some real characters coming up and a score to settle with online trolls over a certain issue. . .
Go get 'em!!!!
davey

Post by davey »

No, "hero" is just as autonomous as "hoagie" - or not. Try googling (an Image search) hero sandwich sign - you'll find many examples that refer to them with the first word only.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:06 pm No, "hero" is just as autonomous as "hoagie" - or not. Try googling (an Image search) hero sandwich sign - you'll find many examples that refer to them with the first word only.
I agree with this reasoning overall. But I think I'd say hoagie is somewhat more autonomous simply because there aren't other contexts in which the word means something different. A hoagie is always a sandwich. A hero sometimes isn't. "Let's go get ourselves a couple of heroes" doesn't have the same immediately clear meaning as "Let's go get ourselves a couple of hoagies."

But you're still right. Googling "hoagie sandwich" (in quotation marks to group the two words) can provide additional confirmation.
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:51 pm
davey wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:06 pm No, "hero" is just as autonomous as "hoagie" - or not. Try googling (an Image search) hero sandwich sign - you'll find many examples that refer to them with the first word only.
I agree with this reasoning overall. But I think I'd say hoagie is somewhat more autonomous simply because there aren't other contexts in which the word means something different. A hoagie is always a sandwich. A hero sometimes isn't...
So you've never heard of "Stardust"? (Granted, variant spelling!...) How about "A Hero Ain't Nothin' But a Sandwich"...??... ;)
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:19 pm
doihavetoreally wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:04 pm Wow.
Is this the first TOC where no one got fjs in two games?
How about the eventual champ starting at 0 on game 2?
This is the first TOC with 0/6 in the finals if that is what you meant. More than one finals have gone 1/6.
Six previous times someone has had zero after F1 and none of them won. Lucky seven today changed that trend.

The previous ones
Bruce Simmons - 2nd
Jeff Stewart - 2nd
Bob Harris - 3rd
Arthur Gandolfi - 3rd
Bill MacDonald - 3rd
Jason Zollinger - 2nd
While going through tapes looking for the next game to archive, I found the opening for the 1992 ToC Final Game 2. It's interesting to watch those heavy hitters with sheepish looks on their faces.

25 years ago basically today, that one was. On the tape it was preceded by Game 1, with the original broadcast of the Mr. Plow ep of The Simpsons sandwiched between them.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:58 pm 25 years ago basically today, that one was. On the tape it was preceded by Game 1, with the original broadcast of the Mr. Plow ep of The Simpsons sandwiched between them.
What's that name again?
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:44 pm After seeing this weeks contestants, I just thought it was in interesting coincidence that one of the Friday contestants is from a former state capital, Corydon, Indiana.
There's a cry across the heartland

A yearning for the days gone by

And in little ol' Corydon, Indiana

They're happy and they'll tell you why

They got Butt Drugs...
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:28 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:58 pm 25 years ago basically today, that one was. On the tape it was preceded by Game 1, with the original broadcast of the Mr. Plow ep of The Simpsons sandwiched between them.
What's that name again?
Señor Plow no es macho. Es solamente un borracho