Friday, November 17, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, November 17, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7635, 2017-11-17

2017 Tournament of Champions final game 2.

CONTESTANTS
Austin Rogers, a bartender from New York, New York (subtotal of $6,500)
Alan Lin, a software engineer from Riverside, California (subtotal of $8,800)
Buzzy Cohen, a music executive from Los Angeles, California (subtotal of $0)

OPENING REMARKS
[During the contestant introductions, Austin covers his eyes, Alan covers his ears, and Buzzy covers his mouth, referencing the "See no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil" monkeys.]

Alex: Thank you, Johnny. I’m dealing with three monkeys here today.

[Laughter]

Alex: This is pathetic. As I walked off this stage yesterday, I came to a conclusion that I want to run by all of you, and I hope you agree. Of all the tournaments we have done on Jeopardy!, this year's Tournament of Champions has been the most fun.

[Applause]

Alex: We've laughed, we've had some good times. It's almost as if the money isn't important. But it is. Now with these scores here at the end of the first round, I don't think Buzzy, Alan and Austin are going to exceed the minimum guarantees of 50, 100 and 250,000 dollars. But hey, it ain't chump change. Good luck. Let's go to work. Categories…

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
STARTS & ENDS WITH "H" (4/5)
STATE BY COUNTIES (4/5)
MONSTER MASH (4/4)
HISTORIC OBJECTS (4/5)
PUBLISHING (4/5)
MUSICAL GROUP NAMES DEFINED (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Austin: 10 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Buzzy: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Alan: 7 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,800

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Austin found the Daily Double on the 7th clue. Buzzy had $400, Alan had $600, and Austin was at $1,600. Austin made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,600.

MUSICAL GROUP NAMES DEFINED $1000: On a standard piano, there are 36 of these, sharps & flats

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Austin: $3,800
Alan: $3,400
Buzzy: $600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Welcome back. At the beginning of the program, Austin, I asked the audience if they agreed that this tournament had been the most fun. How do you feel about it?

Austin: I think it's been spectacularly fun. It's so amazing to meet all these amazing personalities and spectacular players. And everyone's just so fast. And everyone's at parity; everyone knows the same things. And can I give a quick thank you?

Alex: Sure, absolutely.

Austin: I'd like to thank my mom and dad who are in the audience, and I'd like to thank all my bartenders, every single one of 'em: Deimo, Johnny, Pete, Pat, Jimmy.

[Laughter]

Austin: Okay, I got enough of you guys. I'll see you guys at the bar.

Alex: Alan, what about you?

Alan: Yeah, I just wanna say, you know, despite looking like I'm on the verge of a nervous breakdown half the time…

[Laughter]

Alan: This has definitely been the most fun thing I've done in my life. And if you're looking for a question writer, perhaps, I would…

[Laughter]

Alex: Oh, thank God you said, "If you’re looking for a question writer."

Alan: Oh no, I couldn't.

Alex: And not, "If you’re looking for a replacement host…"

Alan: Yeah.

Alex: That would have scared the daylights out of me.

Alex: Buzzy, what about you?

Buzzy: Get scared.

[Laughter]

Alex: Anybody you wanna do a shoutout to?

Buzzy: Yeah, I just wanna thank all my friends and family. My wife, who's here, and my daughter. My mom, who is battling cancer at home, and my dad, who’s been helping to take care of her. My sister and brother-in-law, who helped take care of her. And also all of my clients who have had to put up with me prepping for this while taking care of all their needs.

Alex: Good for you. Not only are you bright, you got style.

Buzzy: I better have something.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
HISTORIC OBJECTS $600: The ancient Persian artifact called the "Spring of Khosrow" was this, reputedly covering 40,000 square feet

PUBLISHING $600: After buying Harper & Row, Rupert Murdoch made another merger & turned it into this giant
(Austin: What is NewsCorp?)

STARTS & ENDS WITH "H" $600: We have a feeling you might know that Merv Griffin once hosted a game show called "Play Your" this

STATE BY COUNTIES $1000: Time to give you a Hand (County): we'll throw in Walworth & Yankton

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Austin: $6,200
Alan: $5,600
Buzzy: $2,800
Last edited by Archivists on Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, November 17, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
EPONYMS (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
TYPES OF MOVIES (4/5)
THE BODY HUMAN (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
WORLD THEATER (2/4)
5 EXES (3/4)
4 O's (3/4)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Buzzy: 10 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Austin: 5 R, 1 W
Alan: 6 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Buzzy snagged the next Daily Double on the 10th clue. Buzzy had $10,800, Alan had $4,800, and Austin was at $9,000. Buzzy made it a True Daily Double, wagering $10,800.

THE BODY HUMAN $1600: The hip is this type of joint, meaning that a rounded surface of one bone moves with the depression of another bone

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Alan who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 19th clue. Buzzy had $23,200, Alan had $10,400, and Austin was at $9,000. Alan made it a True Daily Double, wagering $10,400.

EPONYMS $2000: These slips of the tongue that bear a man's name include "It is now kisstomary to cuss the bride"
(Alan: What's a Freudian slip?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
5 EXES $800: When Paula Abdul became an ex-judge on "American Idol", this talk show host was brought in to fill her shoes

WORLD THEATER $1200: This gentleman was a typical character in the 17th century's golden age of Spanish theater; Disney had 3 of him
(Alan: What's a troubadour?)

WORLD THEATER $800: In 1970, the year this actor was made a baron, he played Shylock at the Old Vic

4 O's $2000: This Spanish sherry is "O" so good

TYPES OF MOVIES $800: This alliterative term can refer to any type of olden furniture as well as a movie set in olden times
(Austin: What is a set piece?)
(Alex: Less than a minute.)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Buzzy: $25,600
Austin: $10,200
Alan: $1,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
STATE CAPITALS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; lock for second place.
Buzzy: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $5,199 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Austin: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $6,999 (martian), and enjoy 2nd place.
Alan: You've no hope of catching up... unless Austin does something stupid. So risk $1,599.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A state capital since 1805, its name begins with the last 4 letters of the state's name

FINAL SCORES
Alan: $1,600 - $1,200 = $400 = $9,200 cumulative (What is) (1st runner-up: $100,000)
Austin: $10,200 - $10,000 = $200 = $6,700 cumulative (What is Indianapolis?) (2nd runner-up: $50,000)
Buzzy: $25,600 - $1,301 = $24,299 = $24,299 cumulative (What is Love You!) (Tournament champion: $250,000)
(Alex: [To Buzzy] Are you referring to me?)
[Buzzy nods.]
(Alex: Thank you. The correct response is [*], the capital of Vermont.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $8,400

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Buzzy: $16,400, 18 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Alan: $12,000, 13 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Austin: $9,600, 15 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Combined Coryat: $38,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Buzzy: 18/59 = .305
Austin: 15/59 = .254
Alan: 13/59 = .220
Team: 46/63 = .730

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
HISTORIC OBJECTS $1000: The helmet is part of the Anglo-Saxon trove from this oddly-named site--a "hoo" is a little hill

MONSTER MASH $400: Luis Suarez, who bit a player in the 2014 World Cup, inspired one of these undead in a kids' book
(Alan: What's a zombie?)

MONSTER MASH $1000: The artwork here depicts Behemoth & this aquatic monster also mentioned in the Bible

STARTS & ENDS WITH "H" $400: For lunch, how about this 2-word filler-upper?
(Buzzy: What is a ham sandwich?)
[Originally ruled incorrect; ruled correct before Double Jeopardy!]

STARTS & ENDS WITH "H" $1000: Grown from bulbs, this colorful spring flower was named for a youth Apollo loved
(Alex: Less than a minute to go now.)

STATE BY COUNTIES $200: Houston (not that state!), Dallas (really, no!), Tuscaloosa (there you go)
(Buzzy: Thanks for the lay-up.)

STARTS & ENDS WITH "H" $200: Hyphenated term that's used to describe all the latest cutting-edge electronic devices
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

5 EXES $1600: Seen here is this ex-top cop of Boston, Los Angeles and New York City--twice

5 EXES $1200: Best-known nickname of ex-White House communications director Anthony Scaramucci
(Alan: What is Goochi?)

4 O's $1200: 2-word term for where to go in the mall to get a strip of memories of the day
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
The Black Keys
carpet
HarperCollins
hunch
South Dakota
a ball and socket joint
a Spoonerism
Ellen DeGeneres
a caballero
Lord Laurence Olivier
oloroso
a period piece
Montpelier
Sutton Hoo
a vampire
Leviathan
a hero sandwich
a hyacinth
Alabama
high-tech
(Bill) Bratton
the Mooch
a photo booth
Last edited by Archivists on Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Code: Select all

Buzzy:     0 25600 25600 51200
Alan:   8800  1600 10400 12000
Austin: 6500 10200 16700 26900
Buzzy: Bet $1,301 to cover Austin.
Austin: You have a lock on second place, but you have to risk it for a chance to win. To hold second place, bet less than $4,700. Since you have to get FJ right to win, you might want to bet it all, but betting more than $7,900 will drop you behind Alan's day 1 score if you're wrong, guaranteeing you a finish behind him. A bet from $7,601 to $7,899 will get you a win if you're right and Buzzy gets FJ wrong with a cover while keeping you above Alan's day 1 score if you're wrong.
Alan: You can't win without a ridiculous overwager from Buzzy, but if Austin attempts to win and gets it wrong, he'll drop below your current cumulative total to $9,100 at most. Bet less than $1,300 to stay above this.
Last edited by seaborgium on Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
STATE CAPITALS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A state capital since 1805, its name begins with the last 4 letters of the state’s name

Buzzy Cohen: 25600-1301=24299 + 0 = 24299 = $250,000
Alan Lin: 1600-1200=400 + 8800 = 9200 = $100,000
Austin Rogers: 10200-10000=200 + 6500 = 6700 = $50,000

Correct response:
Spoiler
Montpelier (Buzzy – Love You!) (Alan – What is) (Austin – Indianapolis)

Daily Doubles
Austin: 1600+1600
Buzzy: 10800+10800
Alan: 10400-10400 (Read the Daily Double clue twice!)

Coryats
Buzzy: 16400
Alan: 12000
Austin: 9600

Combined: 38,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Buzzy: 2800
Alan: 5600
Austin: 6200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

See no evil, hear no evil and speak no evil was a clever opening and Alex got a laugh saying he was dealing with three monkeys.

Buzzy was introduced with, “…who has no winnings.”

I’m sure the people over at Reddit will enjoy their clue in MONSTER MASH.

Four clues were not played today which is too bad for a F2 game. The board skipping and the chat segment took up a little too much time.

No 60% for me in the TOC as I could not solve the brain buster in time. My first thought was 1805 could mean states as part of the Louisiana Purchase. After wasted time there I could sense I was working on states that joined later and tried Kentucky in remembering it was early and not too early like the 13 colonies I knew to avoid. Frankfort having a K (even though in the middle) caused a second’s delay.

There was the logic right there in front of me and I went right past the sweet spot of in between the colonies and KY.

With time up I took the Hammer with a blank page since Columbus, Ohio left me with no desperate guess to write. I either figured it out or it was easy to determine the capital did not fit the clue.

I know J! likes these kind of clues for the FJ! round. My preference would be F1 if it is going to be in the finals. Ouch for the contestants going 0/6 in the finals.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Wow.
Is this the first TOC where no one got fjs in two games?
How about the eventual champ starting at 0 on game 2?
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

doihavetoreally wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:04 pm Wow.
Whoa, I mis-read the results and thought Alan won it. Did Buzzy get the "from third place" pep talk from Alex at the top of the show or no?

I eventually got Montpelier, and I'll say it was within 30 seconds, but my brain was mush there for a minute.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

This is the first TOC with 0/6 in the finals if that is what you meant. More than one finals have gone 1/6.
Six previous times someone has had zero after F1 and none of them won. Lucky seven today changed that trend.

The previous ones
Bruce Simmons - 2nd
Jeff Stewart - 2nd
Bob Harris - 3rd
Arthur Gandolfi - 3rd
Bill MacDonald - 3rd
Jason Zollinger - 2nd
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:16 pm
Whoa, I mis-read the results and thought Alan won it. Did Buzzy get the "from third place" pep talk from Alex at the top of the show or no?

I eventually got Montpelier, and I'll say it was within 30 seconds, but my brain was mush there for a minute.
Alex's opening remarks did not include the "from third place" remarks. He had to deal with monkeys and then made a crack about the guys not exceeding the minimums. Reddit Guy has the game up already.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:19 pm
This is the first TOC with 0/6 in the finals if that is what you meant. More than one finals have gone 1/6.
Six previous times someone has had zero after F1 and none of them won. Lucky seven today changed that trend.

The previous ones
Bruce Simmons - 2nd
Jeff Stewart - 2nd
Bob Harris - 3rd
Arthur Gandolfi - 3rd
Bill MacDonald - 3rd
Jason Zollinger - 2nd
Thanks MB. The openings of Finals are a new twist and lots of fun to watch. Loved how Austin peeked to see if he is off the camera.

Buzzy's interview perfectly followed Alan's -- loved it! Alan might forget birthdays of his loved ones, but not that DD response. It is stored right next to Montpelier.
Last edited by doihavetoreally on Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

It's one hell of a final when any one of two *non-FJ* responses could swing the tournament -- let alone Austin's FJ answer.

To recall but definitely not invoke my favorite Spoonerism, all three players are genuine examples of shining wits.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

The year got me to Ohio, Vermont, and Maine as the most likely candidates...and I stupidly dismissed Vermont by thinking that Burlington was the capital during my brainstorm.

Congrats to Buzzy on the win!
Leander

Post by Leander »

I’m amazed I could go 2 for 2 in the TOC Finals FJs while the competitors go 0 for 6. Somehow I immediately flashed on Vermont.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

Another great game today. One DD to each player, and they each went all-in. Austin's didn't seem important at the time, but it ended up being enough points to give him a chance in the finals and avoid a runaway. Alan's miss basically cost him the championship, but the wager was necessary to have a realistic chance at catching Buzzy. It's way more math than could have been done at the time, but had he wagered significantly less - effectively zero - and still missed, it wouldn't change Buzzy's win on a triple stumper.

FJ! wagering was pretty much spot on. Buzzy's was perfect by my math, protecting from Austin doubling up in FJ!. Alan was mathematically eliminated from winning. Austin has to wager at least 7600 AND get FJ! right while Buzzy misses to win. With that minimum wager by Austin, Alan needs to hang on to at least 300 to beat Austin on a TS, which he did by risking only 1200. Austin is basically stuck between a rock and a hard place. He's either going to win or finish in 3rd place, unless he concedes the win to Buzzy and wagers nothing (well, less than 4700) to lock in second place. Assuming Austin wants to win, his wager is correct.

You could make an argument that the most likely result is they all get it or they all miss. In that case, Austin can't win and wagering for second place and an extra $50k would be reasonable. Clearly, Austin chose to wager for the win.

Another typical game for me. My stats:
R: 16
W: 4, costing 3400
Coryat: 11,000
FJ!: :cry:
LT: Hero (if that can be considered LT)
--Peter
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $31,200
38 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: rug, Harper Collins, (hero sandwich), Hunch, Ellen Degeneres, caballero, spoonerism (DD), period piece

Great game, and great guts with both Buzzy and Alan going all in with five-figure wagers. I still think Alan has the deepest knowledge base of the three, but he seemed to have trouble getting in on easier clues.

No get for me on FJ!, as I tried out the rest of the states east of the Mississippi before circling back to the northeast. I ran out of time just before a scheduled tour of New England.

I know it's a common error, but I'm sort of surprised the judges didn't neg Buzzy for his response of tricep.
Sprinkles are for winners.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:30 pm Buzzy was introduced with, “…who has no winnings.”
I believe it was "who had no winnings yesterday"
theFJguy wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:30 pm Alan: 10400-10400 (Read the Daily Double clue twice!)
???
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:19 pm Six previous times someone has had zero after F1 and none of them won. Lucky seven today changed that trend.
You mean *sniff* Alex's pep talk (which, btw, wasn't given today, Myron) *sniff* lied?? (I know, "from a distant third" doesn't necessarily mean "zero")

Sad break for Alan on the Final, I was cheering for him to get it, as I got it right away. Wasn't a bad guess though. I also ran the "h" category once they reversed their decision on "ham sandwich".

I'm curious to know if Alan would have won if he got that TDD today.

This is under the assumption that:
  • Final goes the same way, with a Triple Miss
  • Alan (and everyone else) would wager appropriately
Spent half my time in Final thinking that, for some reason, it had to be a newer state so went through the west coast (and AK & HI) for about 15 seconds. Then the mid-south (whatever you call the area south of the Ohio, east of the Mississippi, and west of the Appalachians). Did not help. Plus, I'm sure that for part of my search, I was thinking that the last four letters of the *capital* had to match the first four of the *state* and though "Vermont doesn't begin with L-i-e-r!" I was just not getting FJ today, no way, no how
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

Someone should have shouted "Yo Adrian!" prior to this game. Because Buzzy was facing against two guys with a good knowledge base, and somehow managed to pull through. Buzzy was pretty much the underdog, the Rocky Balboa of Jeopardy. He started without any money heading into day 2 of the tournament finals and won big time.

Of Austin's chances to miss on FJ, this was pretty much a bad time for him to blank out and lose this game.

Any time we get FJs involving U.S. cities or State Capitals, this one gets your goat. If you do the math right, you have 50 states and 30 seconds to figure it out. Basically, you're gonna have to use 1.6 seconds to get through one state and know any others. This clue in particular would stump anybody if they don't know where to start. If I had the time to go through the capitals, I could have made the list of what the capitals are and X them to be deemed incorrect guesses.

Man...everybody that was hoping Alan or Austin to win all are probably wanting their bets back after this because it could have gone either way for anybody.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

dhkendall wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:08 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:30 pm Buzzy was introduced with, “…who has no winnings.”
I believe it was "who had no winnings yesterday"
theFJguy wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:30 pm Alan: 10400-10400 (Read the Daily Double clue twice!)
???
You're right for what Johnny said. Thanks. There is no rule that a Daily Double must be questioned immediately. My reaction was that if Alan took the time to read the clue twice he might not have made the slip. It's a good practice for any contestant to use the extra allowed time on a Daily Double to be careful and check their work.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

dhkendall wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:08 pmI'm curious to know if Alan would have won if he got that TDD today.

This is under the assumption that:
  • Final goes the same way, with a Triple Miss
  • Alan (and everyone else) would wager appropriately
I've been questioning my math all over the place on this one. (Even posting and then deleting, because I thought I screwed up badly. I only screwed up a little bit.) [Mods, I apologize for that - I'm going back something close to my original post here.]

Had Alan got that DD right, he would have gone into FJ! with 22400 for the day, and have to risk 20001 to protect from a double by Buzzy. Buzzy would normally wager 14399, leaving him with 2 more than Alan if they both neg on FJ.

BUT! Austin becomes a factor here. Buzzy would limit his wager to the same 1301 he actually wagered to protect from Austin coming up behind him. (That's a quirk of the math due to the tournament format and their previous day scores.)

So in the end, Buzzy still wins on a TS, but Austin and Alan swap places.
--Peter
howardnyc

Post by howardnyc »

Ball and socket joint sure seems like an easy one for a $2000 DD clue in the TOC finals. Much less to be the one clue most instrumental in the win for champion Buzzy. This tourney was a lot of fun.
Last edited by howardnyc on Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.