Monday, November 20, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, November 20, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7636, 2017-11-20

CONTESTANTS
Alex Jumper, a graduate student from Cambridge, Massachusetts
Eric Maher, an attorney from Epping, New Hampshire
Kara Chandler, a stay-at-home mom from Berwyn, Illinois (whose 1-day cash winnings total $12,799)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. And welcome. We are now back to our regular competition games. We certainly had some exciting moments in the past two weeks in our Tournament of Champions. Some great performances. Performances that these three players will try to emulate as they wanna qualify for next year's Tournament of Champions. So Kara, Eric and Alex, good luck. Here we go. Now the categories in the first round today…

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
STILL PHOTOGRAPHY (5/5)
GRIDIRON GREATS (5/5)
TECH CRUNCH (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
LITERATURE, SCIENCE & THE ARTS (5/5)
"HOME" LINES (5/5)
IN THE CITY (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Kara: 13 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Alex: 10 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Eric: 6 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $600

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Kara found the Daily Double on the 9th clue. Kara had $1,400, Eric had $1,600, and Alex had nothing in the bank. Kara wagered $500.

TECH CRUNCH $800: In 2013 this .com had the youngest CEO in the Fortune 500 when it debuted on the list at 482
(Alex Trebek: Mark Zuckerberg. He was under 30.)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Alex: $3,000
Kara: $2,500
Eric: $2,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex Trebek: Alex Jumper is now a graduate student, but when she was four years old, she performed at Carnegie Hall?

Alex Jumper: I actually was in fourth grade, so a little bit less impressive. But it was a fantastic experience. I was really into theater and music when I was younger, and I was lucky enough to get a part in a revival.

Alex Trebek: In what?

Alex Jumper: It’s called Sail Away. It's a Noel Coward musical that premiered in the '60s, and what was really interesting about it--about this production was that Elaine Stritch reprised the role that she had originated in the Broadway production.

Alex Trebek: She was a great actress.

Alex Jumper: She was. She was.

Alex Trebek: Fun lady, too.

Alex: Eric Maher, an attorney from New Hampshire, who met his wife at a mall when he was doing something that sounds a little, well, strange.

Eric: I was returning an acne product that didn't do anything for my pizza face.

[Laughter]

Eric: So I was returning it, saw my wife from across the way, and I thought, "Hey, she’s cute." So it didn't damper my confidence.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Kara Chandler is our champion. She is from Berwyn, Illinois. And this champion once shared a bathtub with Winston Churchill.

Kara: Oh, that is correct. In 1929, Churchill was between jobs, and so he was hitting the American lecture circuit, traveling by private railcar. Stopped at an old railroad hotel, and though it's not operating as a hotel anymore, the building is still there, and the fixtures are still intact, and maybe behind some closed doors some stuff happened.

[Laughter]

Alex: What was the year?

Kara: Well, he was there in 1929. And I came along some decades later.

Alex: Right, okay. Thank you for clearing that up.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
TECH CRUNCH $600: QuickBooks FAQs at the site of this co. include "How much accounting do I need to know?" (Not much, apparently)
(Eric: What is TurboTax?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Kara: $6,900
Alex: $5,600
Eric: $3,800
Last edited by Archivists on Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, November 20, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
ANATOMY? ANATO-YOU! (5/5)
THE PERSIAN PAST (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ACTORS (5/5)
COLORING BOOKS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
PRISONS (4/5)
IN THE CITY (4/4) (Alex Trebek: Let me give you an example. "Everything in Big D." Correct response: "What is all?" "A-L-L" in Dallas.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Eric: 12 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W
Kara: 11 R (including 2 rebounds and 1 DD), 2 W
Alex: 3 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Eric snagged the next Daily Double on the 18th clue. Kara had $9,300, Eric had $13,000, and Alex was at $6,400. Eric wagered $3,000.

COLORING BOOKS $800: A quote from this 19th century novel: "Woman, it is thy badge of shame!"

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Kara who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 24th clue. Kara had $14,100, Eric had $18,000, and Alex was at $5,600. Kara wagered $2,000.

THE PERSIAN PAST $1600: One story says the Persians diverted the Euphrates to help them take this great city in 539 B.C.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE PERSIAN PAST $400: A good-time charlie as holder of this kingly title, Muzaffar Al-Din faced unrest & had to grant Persia's first constitution

PRISONS $2000: This Berlin prison was demolished after the death of its last inmate, Nazi Rudolf Hess
(Kara: What is Nuremberg?)

THE PERSIAN PAST $2000: Around 550 B.C. this great king founded the Persian empire by overthrowing Astyages, king of the Medes
(Eric: Who is Darius?)
(Kara: Who is Xerxes?)
(Alex Jumper: Who is Nebuchadnezzar?)
(Alex Trebek: Less than a minute now.)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Eric: $16,800
Kara: $15,700
Alex: $5,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FAMOUS NAMES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Eric: Wager $14,601 to cover Kara. If you feel like using Shoretegy, try wagering $4,201.
Kara: Your score is within 4/5ths of Eric's, so wager between $2,201 (venusian) and $5,299 (martian), beating Eric's maximum safe bet of the difference between your scores while still covering against a doubled score on Alex's part.
Alex: There's no way you can cover a rational wager by Kara, but if Kara decides for some reason to wager everything, you can eke out a win on a Triple Stumper if you wager no more than $3,000.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
She declared, "By blood, I am Albanian... as to my calling, I belong to the world"

FINAL SCORES
Alex: $5,200 + $1,500 = $6,700 (Who is Mother Theresa?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Kara: $15,700 + $10,000 = $25,700 (Who is Mother Theresa?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Eric: $16,800 + $14,700 = $31,500 (Who is Mother Theresa) (New champion: $31,500)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $5,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Kara: $15,600, 24 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W
Eric: $14,600, 18 R (including 1 DD), 4 W
Alex: $5,200, 13 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $35,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Kara: 25/60 = .417
Eric: 19/59 = .322
Alex: 14/58 = .241
Team: 58/63 = .921

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
"HOME" LINES $200: These 5 words follow "be it ever so humble"
(Eric: What is "home sweet home"?)

LITERATURE, SCIENCE & THE ARTS $800: Known for his portraits of full-figured ladies, this 17th c. Flemish artist painted 20+ large pictures of Marie de Medicis
(Alex Trebek: Less than a minute now.)

STILL PHOTOGRAPHY $200: A still is seen here in the McCreary County Museum in this state, perhaps most associated with moonshining

STILL PHOTOGRAPHY $400: A photo by Heinrich Kuhn was part of a 2010 Getty Museum show of this type of photography, also a type of painting

STILL PHOTOGRAPHY $600: A famous work mentions the "glassy surface" of this pond's still water

STILL PHOTOGRAPHY $800: Andrew Taylor's still founded this type of medicine that stresses the relation between skeletal health and organ function

STILL PHOTOGRAPHY $1000: Clyfford Still left 2,000 artworks to any city that would give him his own museum; this city put it near the Molly Brown House

ANATOMY? ANATO-YOU! $1600: The internal these veins help bring blood from the brain to the heart

ACTORS $1200: This Brit has played a mechanic and a transporter
(Eric: Who is Str... Strahan?)

ACTORS $1600: TV viewers have seen this 3-named actor on "Grey's Anatomy", "The Good Wife", and "The Walking Dead"

ACTORS $2000: On the wrong side of the law in his youth, he changed his ways and has starred in films like "Machete"

PRISONS $800: This prison is in the title of Johnny Cash's song that says, "I shot a man in Reno just to watch him die"
(Alex Jumper: What is San Quentin?)

THE PERSIAN PAST $800: It was in the 1500s that Persia became majority this branch of Islam
(Alex Jumper: What is Sunni?)

IN THE CITY $400: A big weight in Beantown
(Alex Trebek: You don't need the city, just the word.)

IN THE CITY $800: Gas mixture in Egypt's capital
(Alex Trebek: Cairo.)

IN THE CITY $1200: A Bos taurus in Kremlinville
(Alex Trebek: In Moscow.)

IN THE CITY $1600: Mr. Onassis' nickname in the birthplace of Baudelaire
(Alex Trebek: In Paris.)
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Facebook
Intuit
The Scarlet Letter
Babylon
a shah
Spandau
Cyrus the Great
Mother Teresa
"there's no place like home"
Rubens
Kentucky
still life
Walden Pond
osteopathy
Denver
the jugular veins
(Jason) Statham
(Jeffrey) Dean Morgan
(Danny) Trejo
Folsom
Shiite
a ton in Boston
air
a cow
Ari
Last edited by Archivists on Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FAMOUS NAMES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
She declared, “By blood, I am Albanian… as to my calling, I belong to the world”

Kara Chandler: 15700+10000=25700
Eric Maher: 16800+14700=31500 (New Champ)
Alex Jumper: 5200+1500=6700

Correct response:
Spoiler
Mother Teresa (All three players spelled her Theresa)

Daily Doubles
Kara: 1400+500
Eric: 13000+3000
Kara: 14100+2000 (Eric had 18000 with 6 clues worth $8000 left)

Coryats
Kara: 15600
Eric: 14600
Alex: 5200

Combined: 35,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Kara: 6900
Eric: 3800
Alex: 5600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Eric’s introduction included a wave and a wink. His victory celebration included multiple fist pumps and a clap.

The players got me as I wrote my FJ! response without the H. When I saw that all three of them had an H in there I thought I my 6-letter response must have been a letter shy.

Kara began the game in GRIDIRON GREATS and Eric finished play in there for the first five clues of the J! round. The split of the clues 3-2 in Eric’s favor was an early indication that a good match might be happening.

The Johnny Cash clue had me thinking, “Don’t do it!” Sure enough, Alex, the first player in named the wrong prison and served up the layup rebound.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

I'd like to see Tim Aten's instant classic ToC FJ response gain acceptance as a legit acronym: TOAST. "Too old and slow, Trebek" or "Too old and slow--Tim." Can we make this happen? (No disrespect toward Tim at all, only admiration!) Yeah, I got TOASTed, but it was a thriller. I acknowledge that my wagers could have been gutsier, but, eh, that's not my game. And, seriously, Eric's day two interview NEEDED to make it to air! Tune in tomorrow!
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a loss for the Strong Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "big." --Bob
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Alex was doomed when she corrected Alex.

I also left out the h but I am counting it as correct.

You did fine, Kara. One clue going the other way and you are a two-day champ. Congratulations on doing better than I ever will.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:17 pm

You did fine, Kara. One clue going the other way and you are a two-day champ. Congratulations on doing better than I ever will.
Thanks! I just watched the episode and am recalling fun and laffs galore. Beforehand, we were talking classic rock with Maggie. She started singing the Weill/Doors "Alabama Song," and the three of us joined in as she led us onto the stage. "Oh, show me the way to the next whiskey bar. . ." Now, THAT'S priceless.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Strangely, the Lady Antebellum one was the only "Home" I didn't get. They threw me for a loop because they asked for an album cut and I was stuck on trying to pull one of their singles. Also doesn't help that the song was on their first album.

"Shah" made sense after the fact, but I couldn't pull it either.

Clockwork Orange was my only miss in Coloring Books.

"Devil's Island" joins the "things in the top box that I don't recognize at all" pile.

Instaget FJ!
Golf

Post by Golf »

How easy did this game seem after after watching the ToC? Nice.

Who tries to pronounce LT's first name? That's just asking for trouble. Give the last name and move on.

Kara finds the first DD and shakes her head like it's the worst thing in the world when in reality it's quite the opposite. If the category is not appealing just wager the minimum $5 and move on. This can be optimal play. Otherwise wager everything, it's less than the value of clues in the DJ round.

3 of the 5 clues in the football category could have been answered with no knowledge of the players involved thanks to the ToM's.

With 14 clues to go and both DD's uncovered, Kara chooses one of the 2 boxes almost guaranteed not to hold a DD. Then Eric finds one on the very next clue. After answering correctly both Kara and Eric immediately finish off the three clues in that category also guaranteed not to hold a DD.

Danny Trejo and The Silver Skates as $2k clues?

Kara didn't seem to like the Persia category, so why when finding the DD wager any more than $5?

The $2k clue in Persia is a great example of starting the guessing chain when the first player answers incorrectly. The $400 clue could be a good example of one not to guess at unless 67%+ sure on. 50/50/90.

Then in FJ, why would Kara give Alex a chance to win? She can bet to cover a 0 wager from Eric while locking out Alex. This wager substantially reduced her winning chances. Luckily it did not matter.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

This game was definitely a refreshing change of pace difficulty wise from the ToC with a nice confidence-booster, instaget FJ!

Was pleased to see the football category go first and go 5/5 as well! Always have to root for fellow New Englanders so I had a 66% shot today. Congrats to Eric on his win, $30k is nothing to sneeze at!

Wrote Teresa with the extra H, for some reason, though I realized after that I misspelled it.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:27 pm Strangely, the Lady Antebellum one was the only "Home" I didn't get. They threw me for a loop because they asked for an album cut and I was stuck on trying to pull one of their singles. Also doesn't help that the song was on their first album.
I rarely miss country music clues but the writers got me as well with that one. Kind of obscure if you ask me, but I don't listen to Lady A all that much.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

threearruda wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:09 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:27 pm Strangely, the Lady Antebellum one was the only "Home" I didn't get. They threw me for a loop because they asked for an album cut and I was stuck on trying to pull one of their singles. Also doesn't help that the song was on their first album.
I rarely miss country music clues but the writers got me as well with that one. Kind of obscure if you ask me, but I don't listen to Lady A all that much.
What set me off course is that in trying to pull the name of a single that fit, I came up with "American Honey" and tried to "home" it up by crossbreeding it with Darius Rucker's "Homegrown Honey".

Also, I hope to never hear "Homegrown Honey" again for the rest of my life. SO overplayed, even worse than "Wagon Wheel" in these parts.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

Golf wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:39 pm How easy did this game seem after after watching the ToC? Nice.

Who tries to pronounce LT's first name? That's just asking for trouble. Give the last name and move on.

Kara finds the first DD and shakes her head like it's the worst thing in the world when in reality it's quite the opposite. If the category is not appealing just wager the minimum $5 and move on. This can be optimal play. Otherwise wager everything, it's less than the value of clues in the DJ round.

3 of the 5 clues in the football category could have been answered with no knowledge of the players involved thanks to the ToM's.

With 14 clues to go and both DD's uncovered, Kara chooses one of the 2 boxes almost guaranteed not to hold a DD. Then Eric finds one on the very next clue. After answering correctly both Kara and Eric immediately finish off the three clues in that category also guaranteed not to hold a DD.

Kara didn't seem to like the Persia category, so why when finding the DD wager any more than $5?

The $2k clue in Persia is a great example of starting the guessing chain when the first player answers incorrectly. The $400 clue could be a good example of one not to guess at unless 67%+ sure on. 50/50/90.

Then in FJ, why would Kara give Alex a chance to win? She can bet to cover a 0 wager from Eric while locking out Alex. This wager substantially reduced her winning chances. Luckily it did not matter.
There were exactly 4 Triple Stumpers in this game, and yet you put out a 262 word screed about how terrible this game allegedly was.

Serious question, and a hat-tip to Kara for these words, that she used on #JeopardyLivePanel two weeks back: Have you considered birdwatching?
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
BennyBXB
Valued Contributor

Post by BennyBXB »

22 right, 3 wrong today. Was 100% on Kim Kardashian for Final, remembering her outspoken opposition to Armenian Genocide deniers. I only had five seconds left when I realized that it said "Albanian," and I panicked and threw out Nadia Comaneci. Turns out she's Romanian :oops:
"It's always better to know a thing than not to know it." -Samuel Parr (as cited by Ken Jennings)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

squarekara wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:04 pm And, seriously, Eric's day two interview NEEDED to make it to air! Tune in tomorrow!
Surprised then that Alex didn't pick it for his Day 1 interview, as he stood a chance to never revisit his card again. (Alex does like to "bury the lede" sometimes, sometimes to his detriment as I hear awesome card stories that never make it to air after the fact from one-and-dones.)

Interesting that the Final in today's Daytime Jeopardy! that I played immediately before watching this show (as both Daytime J! and regular J! are on when I'm at work) was also FAMOUS NAMES.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

It's nice to get back to questions us mere mortals have some chance of answering.

R:23
W:1 costing 600
Coryat: 12000 (unfortunately for this score, over 2/3 of my right answers were in the J! round)
FJ!: :mrgreen: After a couple seconds of thought to determine I didn't know with certainty the right answer, I knew who my best guess was going to be. Then it took me half the think music to get "Sister what" out of my head and switch to "Mother", after which Theresa came flowing right out.
3/3 on DDs today.
LT: Intuit (sometimes it's handy to be an accountant!)

How were they so fast on the answers to the DJ! In the City category? First I've got to figure out the answer to the question, then see if I can find another word in it. Clearly, word play isn't my strong suit.

I surprised myself by getting the two Art questions right in Lit, Sci, & Art. I must have learned something in that Fine Art class in college oh so many years ago.
--Peter
Golf

Post by Golf »

Golf wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:39 pm How easy did this game seem after after watching the ToC? Nice.

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:13 pm There were exactly 4 Triple Stumpers in this game, and yet you put out a 262 word screed about how terrible this game allegedly was.

Serious question, and a hat-tip to Kara for these words, that she used on #JeopardyLivePanel two weeks back: Have you considered birdwatching?
How terrible it was? Let's see now, I touched on 9 different things.

1, how it felt after the ToC, a positive
2, comment on non-optimal play
3, comment on non-optimal play
4, discussion about ToM's, a neutral
5, comment on non-optimal play
6, discussion about odd bottom row clues, a neutral
7, comment on non-optimal play
8, continuing discussion from last week regarding guessing, a neutral
9, comment on non-optimal play

1 positive, 3 neutral discussion points everybody mentions, 5 non-optimal plays.

So slightly more than half my post was discussing non-optimal play, a topic you have said repeatedly was fair game so long as it was done on a proper manner. Which I'm fairly sure this was. Yet you make a snarky comment regarding my post and then suggest I do something other than watch Jeopardy and post here.

But basically, I'm sick and bleeping tired of you continuing to rag on my posts. I've done nothing wrong here, I've never insulted a contestant for their mannerisms, for their stories, for their looks, not for anything. All I've done is make comments both good and bad regarding game play and basically be different from most boardies. And then you make snarky comments every chance you get. If the roles were reversed I'd be getting constant private messages from management regarding how others are supposed to be treated here. Especially if I insinuated that any boardie would be better off not being here, that's a bunch of crap coming from anybody, especially a mod. I'm sick and tired of the double standard and judging from posts from some others I'm not the only one.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

You're not the only one tired of reading his crap. On the one hand, there's the twop 2.0 board wherein they're incredibly nasty to some of the players (including one of them today) and on the other hand there's this board which jumps on any perceived insult. Weird all around. Cultish, almost.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

Winking and fist-pumps.

Oh, Austin, what have you done?

Get off of my lawn!

Yeah, count another in the category of a little relieved to get back to "normal" clues (though I'll add that I get a different charge out of hitting a few TSes, including a FJ, in the finals - not that I'd have a chance against those three). I really hope, though, that we're not entering an era where contestants feel encouraged to "be individuals." Personality comes through just fine without the shtick.

I think there's a huge difference between criticism of a game that millions watch every day and getting personal and nasty. I don't think I've seen the latter here more than a handful of times, which is nice. I don't like reddit. But I'm not the support group type, either. Just my 2c.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Anachronism wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:32 pm I really hope, though, that we're not entering an era where contestants feel encouraged to "be individuals." Personality comes through just fine without the shtick.
But that could very well be their personality. After all Jennifer Morrow could be smiling and jovial, and you’d say “there’s someone showing their personality”, but it’s not. She danced and told jokes and sang a little because that’s her. Not because a camera was in her face but because she’s always like that. (She’s said so here).

In fact I’ll guarantee you that these folks aren’t deliberately putting on a show but are showing their actual personalities. How do I know? The CCs are very good at their job and knows when someone is phony and when they are genuine. They see thousands upon thousands of people every year in auditions, it follows they are good judges of personality.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012