Tuesday, November 21, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

BennyBXB
Valued Contributor

Re: Tuesday, November 21, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by BennyBXB »

(Bias alert: I was pulling for Wilbur as I grew up in Suffolk County.)

My take on Final: If the only correct response was "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band," then I think that's a bad clue, but it was judged fairly. If "Sgt. Pepper" was acceptable, Wilbur got screwed and should be invited back. If I was the judge, I would have accepted anything from "Sgt. Pepper" to the full title, as long as there were no mistakes. But I don't get paid for this stuff.

Chuckled at the DJ name theme. Am I the only one who likes category themes, corny as they are?

For "Installation" of a foreign leader, would "Installing" have been acceptable? I'm pretty sure it would have been, but a second opinion couldn't hurt.
"It's always better to know a thing than not to know it." -Samuel Parr (as cited by Ken Jennings)

VicGChad07
Contributor

Post by VicGChad07 »

As expected, there's a riot on the official Facebook page, with people claiming that Wilbur got "robbed" [sic].

Well, I let them in on a little secret: The "response must be completed in time" rule has been in place since March of 1964. That also explains why Wilbur M. lost $MMM.

In short, I told them: "STOP WRITING IN TO COMPLAIN ABOUT THE RULING, PEOPLE. YOU'RE WRONG. WILBUR WAS RULED INCORRECT BY THE JUDGES. SUCK IT UP, ENTITLED CRYBABIES."
because I'm a bitter but ardent supporter of the show. "Bitter" because nothing peeves me more than people who don't know the rules of Jeopardy!. :T

mxc_takeshi
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mxc_takeshi »

31 right.

Bible (0), Greek (2), Haiku (5), "HOLE" (2), Star (3), 20/20 (5)
Millenials (2), Unplugged (3), Truuue (4), "Insta" (3), Thirsty (1), Netflix Spell (1)

No Lach Trach. Daily Double: The Wright Brothers

Instaget FJ.

DBear

Post by DBear »

The weather forecast is calling for a major crapstorm on social media...
The White Album was an intelligent guess, but the Wall, which came out in 1979? :o

Ironhorse
Wagering Pacifist

Post by Ironhorse »

hscer wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:11 pm
Seems like it would have been appropriate for the staff to mention during FJ that common short forms of the correct answer would be accepted, or something of that nature. Disappointing ending.
That advice (if given specifically for this FJ) probably would have helped narrow down the answer too much, though.

I went with Pet Sounds. I was able to eliminate The White Album because I knew it was later than 1967. For some reason I thought Sgt. Pepper was 1965 so didn't consider it. (And yes, I know now that Pet Sounds was 1966.
Never been on J!, but once won a knockoff version that aired on local access TV.

VicGChad07
Contributor

Post by VicGChad07 »

DBear wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:36 pm
The White Album was an intelligent guess, but the Wall, which came out in 1979? :o
Once I saw that, I thought to myself, rather horrified-like, "I...don't think The Wall is that old, Eric..."

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I think this is the second time where I've precalled "It's a Beatles album" off the category alone, but still couldn't sift my way through to the right one in time.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

DBear wrote:
That would be putting it lightly right now.

VicGChad07
Contributor

Post by VicGChad07 »

badgerfellow wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:49 pm
DBear wrote:
That would be putting it lightly right now.
Yeah, "crapstorm" is too kind a word to describe it. What it really is is a riot.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

VicGChad07 wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:18 pm
As expected, there's a riot on the official Facebook page, with people claiming that Wilbur got "robbed" [sic].

Well, I let them in on a little secret: The "response must be completed in time" rule has been in place since March of 1964. That also explains why Wilbur M. lost $MMM.

In short, I told them: "STOP WRITING IN TO COMPLAIN ABOUT THE RULING, PEOPLE. YOU'RE WRONG. WILBUR WAS RULED INCORRECT BY THE JUDGES. SUCK IT UP, ENTITLED CRYBABIES."
because I'm a bitter but ardent supporter of the show. "Bitter" because nothing peeves me more than people who don't know the rules of Jeopardy!. :T
I don’t do Twitter, but the FB page is a riot.

I do think they’d have taken just Sgt. Pepper and clues that require super-long FJ questions should not be used.

Ironhorse
Wagering Pacifist

Post by Ironhorse »

I made the mistake of looking at Twitter. Some people are even alleging racism. I'm guessing they're not regular viewers because otherwise they would know that right or wrong, the rulebook was followed in tonight's episode.
Never been on J!, but once won a knockoff version that aired on local access TV.

VicGChad07
Contributor

Post by VicGChad07 »

Bamaman wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:52 pm
VicGChad07 wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:18 pm

I don’t do Twitter, but the FB page is a riot.

I do think they’d have taken just Sgt. Pepper and clues that require super-long FJ questions should not be used.
I believe I made mention of this a while back, but according to The Jeopardy! Book (published in October 1990 -- might be outdated, but it's still relevant in ways), when there's an accepted alternative response, it's indicated on Alex's game sheet with "ACC"; therefore, "ACC: Sgt. Pepper" may well have been written on the card.

Conversely, if there's a response not to accept as correct, it's denoted with a "DNA" for "Do Not Accept".

acthomas

Post by acthomas »

Ironhorse wrote:
I went with Pet Sounds. I was able to eliminate The White Album because I knew it was later than 1967. For some reason I thought Sgt. Pepper was 1965 so didn't consider it. (And yes, I know now that Pet Sounds was 1966.
I had it between Pet Sounds, Are You Experienced and Sgt Pepper, but spent a good 10 seconds trying to reason why in particular one of them would be back on the charts this year -- did someone from that period recently die? What did Bowie do? -- before deciding on Sgt Pepper. I would like to think I'd have the wherewithal to cross out everything but those two words if I knew I was running out of time.

On the subject of long responses, been crawling through the archive trying to find other killer-length responses. The longest I've found that I can't abbreviate is "speak softly and carry a big stick" from March 1, 2005, at 35 characters and 10 seconds of writing in pen.

VicGChad07
Contributor

Post by VicGChad07 »

Ironhorse wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:54 pm
I made the mistake of looking at Twitter. Some people are even alleging racism. I'm guessing they're not regular viewers because otherwise they would know that right or wrong, the rulebook was followed in tonight's episode.
Ironhorse gets it. Thank you.

DBear

Post by DBear »

If "Sgt. Pepper" is an acceptible answer, then there is no question Wilbur's answer should be accepted. He gave additional info which wasn't wrong.

Now if the complete title was necessary, ok then. Just say so. :|

hscer

Post by hscer »

Ironhorse wrote:
hscer wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:11 pm
Seems like it would have been appropriate for the staff to mention during FJ that common short forms of the correct answer would be accepted, or something of that nature. Disappointing ending.
That advice (if given specifically for this FJ) probably would have helped narrow down the answer too much, though.
You're probably right. It's just such an obviously unsatisfactory situation and for reasons that seem avoidable.
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer

VicGChad07
Contributor

Post by VicGChad07 »

DBear wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:00 pm
If "Sgt. Pepper" is an acceptible answer, then there is no question Wilbur's answer should be accepted. He gave additional info which wasn't wrong.

Now if the complete title was necessary, ok then. Just say so. :|
What is Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band?
(ACC: Sgt. Pepper's, Sgt. Pepper)
(DNA: Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart)

VicGChad07
Contributor

Post by VicGChad07 »

acthomas wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:57 pm
Ironhorse wrote:
I had it between Pet Sounds, Are You Experienced and Sgt Pepper, but spent a good 10 seconds trying to reason why in particular one of them would be back on the charts this year -- did someone from that period recently die? What did Bowie do? -- before deciding on Sgt Pepper. I would like to think I'd have the wherewithal to cross out everything but those two words if I knew I was running out of time.

On the subject of long responses, been crawling through the archive trying to find other killer-length responses. The longest I've found that I can't abbreviate is "speak softly and carry a big stick" from March 1, 2005, at 35 characters and 10 seconds of writing in pen.
Probably not as long, but Norman Rogers in circa 1997 wrote down "Who is Crosby, Still, Nash and Young?"...and got zapped because he left out an S in Stephen Stills's last name.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Ironhorse wrote:
They are racist but a non-Caucasian woman won.

VicGChad07
Contributor

Post by VicGChad07 »

Bamaman wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:08 pm
Ironhorse wrote:
They are racist but a non-Caucasian woman won.
therefore, no charges of racism. it's all a big hoopla over nothing, as concocted by the entitlement generation.