Tuesday, November 21, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Re: Tuesday, November 21, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by zerobandwidth »

As someone who struggled mightily against the light pen, just trying to chicken-scratch out "E ROOSEVELT", I feel horrible for Wilbur. "What is Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band?" is 46 characters — or just over one and a half per second, assuming you knew the answer instantly. I would say it's unreasonably difficult, if Kiana hadn't also written the whole title.

As expected, Eric was much more relaxed, and played a great game, but happened to face two strong opponents in the same game. Oh well.

Kiana pulled off an impressive win. I won't even pick on her Venusian DD wager since it turned out she didn't know the response. We've now had two lovely ladies with loud hair colors on J! this season. Could geek chick chic become the new fashion trend?
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
VicGChad07
Contributor

Post by VicGChad07 »

zerobandwidth wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:13 pm As someone who struggled mightily against the light pen, just trying to chicken-scratch out "E ROOSEVELT", I feel horrible for Wilbur. "What is Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band?" is 46 characters — or just over one and a half per second, assuming you knew the answer instantly. I would say it's unreasonably difficult, if Kiana hadn't also written the whole title.

As expected, Eric was much more relaxed, and played a great game, but happened to face two strong opponents in the same game. Oh well.

Kiana pulled off an impressive win. I won't even pick on her Venusian DD wager since it turned out she didn't know the response. We've now had two lovely ladies with loud hair colors on J! this season. Could geek chick chic become the new fashion trend?
As people like myself have mentioned, Wilbur would've won if he had taken the shortcut and just wrote down the acceptable alternative responses of "Sgt. Pepper's" or "Sgt. Pepper".

Now, people are saying that this shortcut tactic should be mentioned by the contestant coordinators. Myself, I think that it's not necessary; where's all the fun in explaining it? If you're a regular (read: diehard) viewer and you pay attention to how the chips fall where they may, then you'd have a significant, fully-legal advantage. I am not a contestant, but that is one of my goals on my bucket list.
VicGChad07
Contributor

Post by VicGChad07 »

Ironhorse wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:54 pm I made the mistake of looking at Twitter. Some people are even alleging racism. I'm guessing they're not regular viewers because otherwise they would know that right or wrong, the rulebook was followed in tonight's episode.
Honestly, who doesn't know that there are rules to adhere to on Jeopardy!? I mean, there's a rulebook!

Somehow, I don't think social media is designed for the gifted. Next time I confront someone who claims a particular contestant got "robbed" [sic], I'm gonna post the entire contestant coordinator spiel for them to read.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

VicGChad07 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:09 pm
Bamaman wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:08 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:54 pm I made the mistake of looking at Twitter. Some people are even alleging racism. I'm guessing they're not regular viewers because otherwise they would know that right or wrong, the rulebook was followed in tonight's episode.
They are racist but a non-Caucasian woman won.
therefore, no charges of racism. it's all a big hoopla over nothing, as concocted by the entitlement generation.
Real racism exists, but even if the white guy had won, it doesn’t here. Idiots like that make people take real cases less seriously.

The Jeopardy FB page is where the people from the revived Sony board when it shut down.
VicGChad07
Contributor

Post by VicGChad07 »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:26 pm
VicGChad07 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:09 pm
Bamaman wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:08 pm
They are racist but a non-Caucasian woman won.
therefore, no charges of racism. it's all a big hoopla over nothing, as concocted by the entitlement generation.
Real racism exists, but even if the white guy had won, it doesn’t here. Idiots like that make people take real cases less seriously.

The Jeopardy FB page is where the people from the revived Sony board when it shut down.
If I still had a Facebook account, I'd post the entire unabridged (redundancy?) contestant coordinator spiel for the riot group to read. >:T
VicGChad07
Contributor

Post by VicGChad07 »

Well, there we have it, people. We have lost all faith in social media users. Those nimrods on Facebook and Twitter cannot get it through their heads that there is a Jeopardy! rulebook to be followed, whereas we can recite the entire contestant coordinator spiels in our sleep.

There is no justice here. :evil:
Vowela
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Vowela »

There's a difference between not knowing rules exist, and knowing but not liking the rules. The complaining is loud, but it's ultimately not a big deal. If it makes people feel better to vent, there's no harm in letting them vent.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

squarekara wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:13 pm I was sitting with Wilbur's entourage in the studio audience during this game. The episode hasn't aired here yet, but if anyone noticed a tire-screechy gasp of horror when they ruled against Wilbur's FJ, that was me.
I'll be in the audience next month and if this happened it would be hard for me not to boo the ruling. I wouldn't do it because, well, manners but this is terrible and avoidable miscarriage. I marveled at his comeback and when I saw the Baby Boomer friendly category I knew it was just up to the betting.
squarekara wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:13 pm Kiana is a deserving champ, but I think Wilbur should be brought back for another game. Write your congressman.
My congressman is a Right Wing white supremacist who would give it to the Pink Floyd guy because "we don't need no education" in 7th District of Missouri.

I also am sure that Kiana must have been devastated to get a victory on a technicality. She played a good game and made a good wager, but was outplayed and beaten fairly and squarely. I hope she gets a win tomorrow without the asterik.

Thanks for clarifying Eric's interview letdown. It makes sense now why it fell flat. I did enjoy his run.
===============

I got FJ subliminally, and decided the 50th anniversary was a puff piece news item earlier this year. That's why the clue had enough TOM in it, once you figure out the 50 years, then where's the recent hoopla?
I flip flopped between the whole title and just "Sergeant Pepper", not knowing if the long one was the title of a track. BOTH SHOULD BE ACCEPTED as well as any variant in between. Is there any doubt what answer the contestant is giving?
Of course rules is rules but rulings are supposed to be fair and in the spirit of the rules. Unless the game is renamed Jeopardy and Speedwriting, then it was a bad call. The fault may be in the pre-called acceptable responses and they should have sent it to New York for review (NFL reference). They screwed the pooch on this one.

No, there's no race card and anybody who plays one is diminishing the real issue (as bamaman has already posted). I don't belong to or ever see social media, and it doesn't bother me that there are haters and flamers over there. (Snark alert--Except when they pick my President :( )

And yes, Wilbur was ROBBED (SIC SIC SIC).
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

I thought the negbait of the night was "Torah" instead of Pentateuch. I said the latter as well and didn't realize that those first five books could also be called "Torah." Obviously neither did the contestants.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

I know the rule, and figured it wouldn't be accepted when I saw his answer, but I don't like it one bit in this case. That's just too much to write and he wrote enough to identify the album.

Went with the White Album. Given my knowledge of music, I'm happy to get that close. I would have bet 0 in that category if there was any justification.

Second game in recent weeks where a promo category cost us seeing quite a few clues. It's really time to put those to an end.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

thenextofken wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:23 pm I thought the negbait of the night was "Torah" instead of Pentateuch. I said the latter as well and didn't realize that those first five books could also be called "Torah." Obviously neither did the contestants.
I too said Pentateuch. What was the wording of the question again?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Ironhorse wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:32 pm
thenextofken wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:23 pm I thought the negbait of the night was "Torah" instead of Pentateuch. I said the latter as well and didn't realize that those first five books could also be called "Torah." Obviously neither did the contestants.
Used to refer to the first 5 books of the bible, this Hebrew word is usually translated as "law"

Pentateuch does not translate to law.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

+ 1, mainly because I couldn't pull Torah, but I knew I wanted to. After Pentateuch was negged, I rebounded it. The wording was exculpatory for Pentateuch, but I don't recall it.
That was a hard Bible category, congrats to the Penguin for missing the land mines.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:37 pm
Used to refer to the first 5 books of the bible, this Hebrew word is usually translated as "law"

I even started with Torah and then switched it to Pentateuch. Oops.

Zero clue on FJ, so I guessed Tapestry.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

[/quote]

That makes sense, thanks.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Kenny better pop back in and take credit for this one, too! :lol:
Kenny wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:11 pm Today is the 50th anniversary of the release (or drop, as they say in the music biz) of the Beatles' "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band," June 1, 1967. Not sure how that would come up in a question.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

DBear wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:00 pm If "Sgt. Pepper" is an acceptible answer, then there is no question Wilbur's answer should be accepted. He gave additional info which wasn't wrong.

Now if the complete title was necessary, ok then. Just say so. :|
The affected contestant has so said: I asked. The judges wanted the complete album title, so even "Sgt. Pepper's" wouldn't have been acceptable.
hscer

Post by hscer »

mfc248 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:59 pm
DBear wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:00 pm If "Sgt. Pepper" is an acceptible answer, then there is no question Wilbur's answer should be accepted. He gave additional info which wasn't wrong.

Now if the complete title was necessary, ok then. Just say so. :|
The affected contestant has so said: I asked. The judges wanted the complete album title, so even "Sgt. Pepper's" wouldn't have been acceptable.
This would appear to be contradicted by Jeopardy's website, which implies, albeit does not explicitly state, that "Sgt. Pepper" would have been acceptable. https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/highligh ... gt-peppers
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

See, that's what I love about jboard over some places *cough*Facebook*cough*, we talk about the ruling, why we agree or disagree, don't resort to name calling TPTB or anyone else, and eventually find out the behind the scenes reasoning behind it. All done calmly and reasonably. I'd wonder if we all became Canadians, but I'm sure most of y'all want your turkey this week.
Spoiler
Personally I want to thank OntarioQuizzer's Complete the List for having the year of Sergeant Pepper's in my mind when watching, One of the last questions I heard on his most recent episode on the way home before turned it off upon arriving home was the year of Sgt. Pepper's release, so it was forefront in my mind. (And while I personally think the Beatles were overrated, I'll fully agree that Sgt. Pepper's is one of the best albums ever made, and A Day in the Life in particular is one of the best crafted songs of all time.)
squarekara wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:13 pm I was sitting with Wilbur's entourage in the studio audience during this game. The episode hasn't aired here yet, but if anyone noticed a tire-screechy gasp of horror when they ruled against Wilbur's FJ, that was me. With single-letter FJ's still in recent memory ("Q" and "K"), this ruling is a heartbreaker. That's an awful lot to scrawl in the time given, and I believe Wilbur's response should have been accepted. Colloquially, the album is known by the first two words of the title, including the variant given by Wilbur. (My response was "Revolver.") Kiana is a deserving champ, but I think Wilbur should be brought back for another game. Write your congressman.
My two cents: They should just do away with clues that don't allow much time for thinking. (If this was a regular clue, you'd still be given a correct response if you run out of time on the lights in front of you while you're giving your answer).
Bamaman wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:26 pm The Jeopardy FB page is where the people from the revived Sony board when it shut down.
Is this metaphorically speaking or literally? Because I think the Facebook page either came about, or didn't get much traffic, until a couple of years after Sony kablooied.

Nor is it a Hebrew word. (The penta- prefix is Greek for five.) I wouldn't call it "negbait" as it clearly doesn't match the clue at all, but I also spoke without thinking and said "pentateuch" knowing full well it was wrong, and would have spoke even faster were I on stage.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Congrats to Kiana for winning. Eric won a lot yesterday and then started strong in the Jeopardy round. Final Jeopardy could have led to a tiebreaker clue but we're left without that again.

I guessed "Dark Side of the Moon" because the correct answer didn't occur to me. I started trying to think of artists that had died in 2017 to tie into the album topping the charts again.

J6 had a Ruth/Esther clue on it today. Thanks to the ToC I guessed the other one and got it right.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.