Tuesday, November 21, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

squarekara
J! Reactionary

Re: Tuesday, November 21, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by squarekara »

So, it was pretty clear as it all went down that they had predetermined what would be acceptable in this FJ. There was no discussion, no stopping the show. It played out just as it aired. I'm not a Facebook/Twitter user, so I haven't seen the FJ "storm" in those arenas, but I hope the outcry results in Wilbur being asked back. And I do not want to see Kiana vilified in any way. She's a quiet, unassuming, highly intelligent young lady who played well and doesn't deserve to be swept into the maelstrom. The FJ technicality is a separate issue from the great game she played.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

Anachronism wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:23 pm I know the rule, and figured it wouldn't be accepted when I saw his answer, but I don't like it one bit in this case. That's just too much to write and he wrote enough to identify the album.
I agree. The writers need to cool it with these novel-length FJ responses. But since they only seem to be getting longer, I guess it's about time I memorize the title of Fiona Apple's second album and Chumbawamba's penultimate album.

Not knowing the exact years of release or any reason why a particular album would have topped the charts 50 years later, I guessed the best one, Abbey Road.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

mfc248 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:59 pm
DBear wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:00 pm If "Sgt. Pepper" is an acceptible answer, then there is no question Wilbur's answer should be accepted. He gave additional info which wasn't wrong.

Now if the complete title was necessary, ok then. Just say so. :|
The affected contestant has so said: I asked. The judges wanted the complete album title, so even "Sgt. Pepper's" wouldn't have been acceptable.
Interesting. I was curious if the reason they wouldn't accept Wilbur's response was he didn't complete the word "Hearts" thus making it incorrect, but Wilbur's testimony would seem to kill that theory.

A fairly easy FJ that was anything but easy to write down in time. Yuck.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Over on "Parallel Universe Jeopardy!", the correct answer was "Smile" (or "SMiLE" if you prefer the logo typography), and Wilbur won because he had plenty of time to write that in its entirety.
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

One of my favorite long anagrams (found by David Bourke in the UK, so make it "favourite") is "crap LP sung by the LSD-prone Beatles".

I think they ought to have accepted "Sgt Pepper", and while rejecting the in-between seems consistent with rules and precedent, it is suggestive that a bad FJ has been written. Had they wished to TOM it up, as someone suggested, how about "it was 50 years ago today (give or take a few months), ......."

Sgt. Pepper is sort of famous for being critically acclaimed (made the cover of TIME at the time), "capturing the Zeitgeist", all that rot. Each of the Four named a different album as his favorite (differing from each other; Sgt. Pepper was Paul's pick).

I haven't watched any games for some time, so they're all just names on a screen to me, but damn, Wilbur.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

VicGChad07 wrote:
DBear wrote: The White Album was an intelligent guess, but the Wall, which came out in 1979? :o
Once I saw that, I thought to myself, rather horrified-like, "I...don't think The Wall is that old, Eric..."
So he was 12.5 years off, from a 50 year anniversary.
Considering Eric may not have been born when The Wall was released, I can give him credit for a nice guess. I'm thinking that album may be in the top ten of whatever survey hailed SPLHCB as the greatest of all time.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I hate that awful album and I don't think Wilbur should be brought back just because of a Facebook uproar but it's going to happen. Bet on it.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

If Kiana had bet everything on her DD, she would have had her score bumped to $11,200 against Wilbur's $11,600 at the point of his DD. I wonder if he would have bet to keep his lead in that case. If not, then the sad outcome of the time limit costing him the game wouldn't have occurred.

Someone once lost a game because FJ sought the month of April, and his response was both a letter too long and too short to be acceptable. (It's archived as "Apli" for some reason.)
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:04 am Someone once lost a game because FJ sought the month of April, and his response was both a letter too long and too short to be acceptable. (It's archived as "Apli" for some reason.)
I guess that would qualify as the cruelest FJ.
yclept

Post by yclept »

I would have also ruled it to be incorrect, through if Sgt. Pepper’s is commonly used as the name of the album, I would have accepted that.

If a clue asks for the 2016 NBA champs, Cavaliers is correct. Cavs is correct. Cavalier is incorrect...nobody ever refers to the album in the way he wrote it, so it should be considered wrong.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Anachronism wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:04 am
seaborgium wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:04 am Someone once lost a game because FJ sought the month of April, and his response was both a letter too long and too short to be acceptable. (It's archived as "Apli" for some reason.)
I guess that would qualify as the cruelest FJ.
:lol:
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

mfc248 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:59 pm
DBear wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:00 pm If "Sgt. Pepper" is an acceptible answer, then there is no question Wilbur's answer should be accepted. He gave additional info which wasn't wrong.

Now if the complete title was necessary, ok then. Just say so. :|
The affected contestant has so said: I asked. The judges wanted the complete album title, so even "Sgt. Pepper's" wouldn't have been acceptable.
That goes against what happened in the game Mark linked early in the thread.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Just a reminder that there are two surviving Beatles, either or both of whom might be lurking here, especially after the recent publicity. So let's refrain from trash talking their album, ok?
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:38 pm 1967 seems a little late for a Beatles album.
How so? It's dead center in their 1963-1970 recording lifespan.
I would prefer not to.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

VicGChad07 wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:09 pm
Bamaman wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:08 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:54 pm I made the mistake of looking at Twitter. Some people are even alleging racism. I'm guessing they're not regular viewers because otherwise they would know that right or wrong, the rulebook was followed in tonight's episode.
They are racist but a non-Caucasian woman won.
therefore, no charges of racism. it's all a big hoopla over nothing, as concocted by the entitlement generation.
I have no problem with Wilbur's answer being ruled incorrect (though, man, did it hurt seeing it go down) and immediately knew it would be based on previous rulings, but I can't fault others for thinking it didn't feel right. To suggest this thinking is somehow the result of an "entitlement generation" and not perennial general ignorance is ahistorical ("these kids today!") and not in the spirit of a knowledge-based pursuit such as J!
I would prefer not to.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:17 pm
squarekara wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:13 pm Kiana is a deserving champ, but I think Wilbur should be brought back for another game. Write your congressman.
My congressman is a Right Wing white supremacist who would give it to the Pink Floyd guy because "we don't need no education" in 7th District of Missouri.
Billy Long resembles an exceptionally outlandish political cartoon come to life, a wholly sub-bestial, Lovecraftian horror of a man.
I would prefer not to.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

Category 13 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:34 am
VicGChad07 wrote:
DBear wrote: The White Album was an intelligent guess, but the Wall, which came out in 1979? :o
Once I saw that, I thought to myself, rather horrified-like, "I...don't think The Wall is that old, Eric..."
So he was 12.5 years off, from a 50 year anniversary.
Considering Eric may not have been born when The Wall was released, I can give him credit for a nice guess. I'm thinking that album may be in the top ten of whatever survey hailed SPLHCB as the greatest of all time.
I see "before he/she was born" frequently invoked to excuse an incorrect response. 99.99+% of everything happened before we were born! The Wall might be a better guess than Nevermind or Stankonia or Kid A or Lemonade but it's still not a good guess. Pop music must just not be a wheelhouse for Eric.
I would prefer not to.
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

Wilbur was robbed. That album has always been known as "Sgt. Pepper."
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

Volante wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:55 pm Kenny better pop back in and take credit for this one, too! :lol:
Kenny wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:11 pm Today is the 50th anniversary of the release (or drop, as they say in the music biz) of the Beatles' "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band," June 1, 1967. Not sure how that would come up in a question.
Thanks!
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

Kenny wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:37 am
Volante wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:55 pm Kenny better pop back in and take credit for this one, too! :lol:
Kenny wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:11 pm Today is the 50th anniversary of the release (or drop, as they say in the music biz) of the Beatles' "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band," June 1, 1967. Not sure how that would come up in a question.
[\quote]
Thanks