Wednesday, November 22, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Wednesday, November 22, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:40 pm My bad and I’ll take the miss since I play properly with the time restriction and a written response. Under the looser standard of only thinking my response then it’s a get.
Kudos for not using the loser standard. :D
floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by floridagator »

Peter the accountant wrote:
Quick question: Does J! use BC/AD or BCE/CE with their calendar years? Or does it really matter?
Jeopardy! uses BC/AD, and of course it matters. It's a battleground in the culture wars. The main reason people use BCE/CE is to signal their hostility to the traditional people of the West.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

floridagator wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:10 pm
Peter the accountant wrote:
Quick question: Does J! use BC/AD or BCE/CE with their calendar years? Or does it really matter?
Jeopardy! uses BC/AD, and of course it matters. It's a battleground in the culture wars. The main reason people use BCE/CE is to signal their hostility to the traditional people of the West.
That must be it. It couldn't possibly be used to signify that the numbers pertain to the Christian rather than the Jewish or Muslim ones.
Last edited by Woof on Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

33 right.

Police (4), World (4), TV (2), "B"reeds (2), Word (3), Made (2)
Chapels (1), Singers (4), Age (4), "MOTHER" (2), Language (3), Poe (2)

Lach Trash: Bob's Burgers, Iraq, little finger, DuPont, Rihanna, Tamil, radio

Instaget FJ.
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:50 pm
A+.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:50 pm
And the Webby goes to...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

squarekara wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:09 pm
floridagator wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:49 pm I said propaganda for what the weapon was that got Lord Haw Haw in trouble. Judges?
My husband and I also said "propaganda."
Me too. That's precisely what Lord Haw-Haw was known for; radio was just the medium, not the 'weapon'.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Good showing from the champ. Impressive gets in DJ..I have NHO that 2k Poe story. Kind of blah game overall.

I really need to cut down on the negs. Happy Thanksgiving y'all.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

During the first DD, did anyone else hear someone saying "you wanted me to remind you?" I've replayed my recording several times and heard it each time.

Lach trash: Bob's Burgers. There are several leftover elements that suggest cannibalism:

-In the pilot, Bob is falsely accused of making burgers from human flesh
-The restaurant is next to a funeral home, and the Belchers are close friends with the director.
-A lot of Season 1 episodes have an antagonist who might have originally been dealt with by getting turned into burgers.

Got FJ by process of elimination - no religion besides Islam would logically have a calendar that starts later than the Gregorian
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Could I have thought of anyone else remotely plausible, I might have whiffed on this. 2017-1439=578, which seemed quite early in Muhammad's life for anything earth-shaking. But...it's a lunar calendar (354 or 5 days), which confirms the vague notion I had that Ramadan occurs at all different times of year (solar).

It does strike me as silly to give the moon such precedence. What is it, after all?
I'm smart and I want respect.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:47 pm
squarekara wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:09 pm
floridagator wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:49 pm I said propaganda for what the weapon was that got Lord Haw Haw in trouble. Judges?
My husband and I also said "propaganda."
I said "voice," which I think is also reasonable.
Voice was my guess, too.
TheTabbyWhisperer
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by TheTabbyWhisperer »

Could someone identify the uniform Kelsey was wearing? She wasn't introduced with a branch of the service at the start of the show, and the uniform seemed rather incognito.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TheTabbyWhisperer wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:47 pm Could someone identify the uniform Kelsey was wearing? She wasn't introduced with a branch of the service at the start of the show, and the uniform seemed rather incognito.
US Navy Lieutenant
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I've been to both the chapel in Sedona & the one outside Prague ("Church of Skulls") so that was nice to see. The FJs this week are almost as easy as last week!
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Wheatley wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:05 pm Got FJ by process of elimination - no religion besides Islam would logically have a calendar that starts later than the Gregorian
Julian. Gregorian started in the 1500s, about 900 years after the Islamic one started. (Julian started in the first (last?) century BC with Julius Caesar. (I think you’re referring to the Christian epoch year (1 AD) rather than the calendar as technically they are independent from each other.

FJ was an insta for me too, as the above shows I do have a fascination with and interest in calendars ever since I was little (I believe it even predates my well known geography passion).

What was Alex holding when he was demonstrating what a crozier is? My logical guess is it’s his crayon he uses to mark his answer sheet, but I thought it looked more like an actual crayon (I’m sure I’ve seen pictures of it on the lectern once or twice), it actually looked a little like a Jeopardy! pen - perhaps it’s the poor resolution on my TV (I don’t have an HD set, it’s not even a flatscreen) but it even looked like there was a red clicky button on top.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:48 pm
TheTabbyWhisperer wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:47 pm Could someone identify the uniform Kelsey was wearing? She wasn't introduced with a branch of the service at the start of the show, and the uniform seemed rather incognito.
US Navy Lieutenant
Checking so that I understand as well. The sleeve had two full gold stripes and above was a gold leaf, so that tells not only US Navy Lieutenant, but the medical portion as well since it was not a star?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

dhkendall wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:37 am
What was Alex holding when he was demonstrating what a crozier is? My logical guess is it’s his crayon he uses to mark his answer sheet, but I thought it looked more like an actual crayon (I’m sure I’ve seen pictures of it on the lectern once or twice), it actually looked a little like a Jeopardy! pen - perhaps it’s the poor resolution on my TV (I don’t have an HD set, it’s not even a flatscreen) but it even looked like there was a red clicky button on top.
We have enough smart people here that someone should be able to identify it.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:38 am
US Navy Lieutenant
Checking so that I understand as well. The sleeve had two full gold stripes and above was a gold leaf, so that tells not only US Navy Lieutenant, but the medical portion as well since it was not a star?
Depending what was (or wasn't) on the leaf, it could be medical, nurse, or dental. I'd need a close-up.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:43 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:38 am
US Navy Lieutenant
Depending what was (or wasn't) on the leaf, it could be medical, nurse, or dental. I'd need a close-up.
Ah okay. I looked at the closing handshake which had the best image of the leaf, but it's too far away to see more detail on it. Since Kelsey was introduced as an intern physician does that likely eliminate nurse or dentist? I did not see anything on her collar or shoulder and the only decoration visible was a small rectangle with red, yellow, red above the pocket.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

floridagator wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:10 pmThe main reason people use BCE/CE is to signal their hostility to the traditional people of the West.
I don't think the Native Americans particularly care.