Thursday, November 23, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, November 23, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7639, 2017-11-23

CONTESTANTS
Jesse Parks, a performance manager from Houston, Texas
Liz Schultz, a retired project analyst from Manchester, New Jersey
Kiana Nakamura, a graduate student from Corona, California (whose 2-day cash winnings total $26,700)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. And a very, very happy Thanksgiving to each and every one of you. And to our three players, of course. Jesse and Liz, the newcomers; Kiana, the returning champ. Here we go. Good luck. Categories in play right now are...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
REBEL WITHOUT A PULSE (4/5)
LEFTIST PROPAGANDA (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
MOVIES BY OSCARS (4/5)
"WEST" SIDE STORY (4/5)
SHARKS & JETS (3/5)
I LIKE TO BE IN NUMERICAL ORDER (1/3)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Liz: 6 R (including 2 rebounds), 0 W
Kiana: 6 R, 1 W
Jesse: 8 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 7
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jesse found the Daily Double on the 14th clue. Kiana had $1,000, Liz had $2,000, and Jesse was at $400. Jesse wagered $1,000.

LEFTIST PROPAGANDA $800: When an organ is medically referred to as this, it's not evil, it's just on the left side of the body
(Alex: Jesse?)
(Jesse: Dorsal?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Liz: $2,000
Kiana: $1,000
Jesse: -$600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: As you heard in the introductions, Jesse Parks is a performance manager from Houston, Texas. What exactly is a performance manager?

Jesse: We manage performance, Alex.

Alex: Thank you.

Jesse: In all sorts of fields. I just kind of oversee our--what we do in the Houston market. We help out with technology and solutions for travelers while they're traveling.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Liz Schultz is from New Jersey. You and I have something in common. We have both ridden in a tank.

Liz: Yes. I worked for the Army both as a civilian and a contractor for 36 years. When I first started, they were testing development models of the M1 Abrams main battle tank, and I got to see a demonstration of it. Just before I retired, the office I worked in got a tour of the test facility at the base I was working at, and we ended up the test--the tour--with a choice of riding in a tank or an armored personnel carrier.

Alex: Pick the tank.

Liz: And I said, "I'll take the tank."

Alex: Absolutely.

Alex: Kiana Nakamura is our champion. She is from Corona, California. My wife and I have often thought of visiting some of the great national parks in one state in particular. And you have managed to visit all five of them in the state of...

Kiana: Utah.

Alex: What was your favorite?

Kiana: My personal favorite is Arches. Just the scenery there is so otherworldly, and it's like, just really great to see in person. Like, the pictures don't do it justice.

Alex: All righty, thanks.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
MOVIES BY OSCARS $800: 2013:
Cinematography, Emmanuel Lubezki & director Alfonso Cuaron

REBEL WITHOUT A PULSE $1000: Who? Wat! When? 1381! Where? England! Why? Wat, with this last name, died leading a rebellion vs. forced labor

"WEST" SIDE STORY $800: The Allenby Bridge takes travelers into this territory
(Kiana: What is the Northwest Territory?)

SHARKS & JETS $800: Most sharks have 5 pairs of these--those with 7 are among the oldest shark species in existence
(Jesse: What are vertebrae?)
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

SHARKS & JETS $1000: The first jetliner, the Comet, came in 1949 from this British company that could be in the cast of "Gone With the Wind"

I LIKE TO BE IN NUMERICAL ORDER $400: Like presidential succession, with vice president 1, House speaker 2 & this Senate position 3

I LIKE TO BE IN NUMERICAL ORDER $600: Like these US. states that start with the same letter, Nos. 48 & 49
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Liz: $3,600
Jesse: $1,400
Kiana: $1,200
Last edited by Archivists on Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, November 23, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
LINE CRAFT (1/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
AFRICAN LITERATURE (1/3)
COME UP TO THE LAB (3/5)
POLITICAL QUOTES (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
FOR A SONG (4/5)
"ICE" PACK (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jesse: 7 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Kiana: 6 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Liz: 3 R, 2 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 10
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $10,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Kiana snagged the next Daily Double on the 14th clue. Kiana had $5,600, Liz had $2,800, and Jesse was at $5,000. Kiana wagered $1,100.

LINE CRAFT $1600: Picasso made many line drawings of this bird whose Spanish name Paloma he gave to one of his daughters
(Kiana: What is a parrot?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Jesse who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 19th clue. Kiana had $4,500, Liz had $4,000, and Jesse was at $8,600. Jesse wagered $2,000.

POLITICAL QUOTES $1600: Politician seen here in 1984
(Jesse: Boy, I'm going to be in real trouble for this one. I don't remember her name. I am sorry.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
FOR A SONG $1200: Roy Orbison recorded this song years before Van Halen's 1982 hit
(Liz: What is "Dock Of The Bay"?)

LINE CRAFT $400: He took his continuous line drawings into 3 dimensions with sculptures that got him nicknamed "King of Wire"

POLITICAL QUOTES $800: In May 2017 this man soon to be fired said he was "mildly nauseous to think we might have had some impact on the election"

LINE CRAFT $1200: Check out the lines crafted by this Dutch painter in his "Broadway Boogie Woogie"

LINE CRAFT $2000: This man from Bern said, "Drawing is like taking a line for a walk", and here's one of his strolls

POLITICAL QUOTES $2000: In 1964 Barry Goldwater said, "I would remind you that" this -ism "in the defense of liberty is no vice"
(Liz: What is patriotism?)

AFRICAN LITERATURE $400: Alan Paton's novel "Cry, the Beloved Country" focused on the fight for freedom & justice in this country

AFRICAN LITERATURE $800: Joseph Mbele's "Matengo Folktales" includes a story about one of these long-eared beasts outwitting a lion

COME UP TO THE LAB $800: From the Latin for "growing plants", it's a lab specimen proliferated to identify the possible source of a disease
(Alex: We have less than a minute to go now.)

COME UP TO THE LAB $1200: A revolutionary gene-editing tool is called by this acronym, sounding just like a refrigerator drawer

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Jesse: $7,800
Kiana: $6,900
Liz: $3,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
TURKEY WITH THE TRIMMINGS
(Alex: This is a category about geography, okay? That's the Turkey we're referring to.)

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Jesse: Wager $6,001 to cover Kiana.
Kiana: You have to wager $301 to cover Liz's doubled score, but certainly no more than $3,299, so as to force Liz to be right to have a chance at winning.
Liz: Think about risking $1,800 or less, thereby beating Jesse on the Triple Stumper (should Jesse wager to cover Kiana's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Of the 8 countries that border Turkey, these 2 extend the farthest east & west

FINAL SCORES
Liz: $3,600 - $2,401 = $1,199 (What are Greece & Iraq) (3rd place: $1,000)
Kiana: $6,900 + $3,000 = $9,900 (What are Greece and Iran?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Jesse: $7,800 + $3,200 = $11,000 (What Iran + Greece) (New champion: $11,000)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $16,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Jesse: $10,800, 15 R, 5 W (including 2 DDs)
Kiana: $8,000, 12 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Liz: $3,600, 9 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $22,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Jesse: 16/60 = .267
Kiana: 13/59 = .220
Liz: 9/58 = .155
Team: 38/63 = .603

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
MOVIES BY OSCARS $600: 2001:
Supporting actress Catherine Zeta-Jones & Costume Design, Colleen Atwood
(Jesse: What is The Legend of Zorro?)

REBEL WITHOUT A PULSE $600: In 1884, 14 years after Robert E. Lee died, this city put up his statue; to Mayor Landrieu's approval, it was removed in 2017
(Jesse: What is Richmond?)

AFRICAN LITERATURE $1200: Naguib Mahfouz' novel "Midaq Alley" brings to life the bustling atmosphere of this largest north African city
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
sinister
Gravity
Tyler
the West Bank
gills
de Havilland
president pro tem of the Senate
Arizona and Alaska
a dove
Geraldine Ferraro
"Oh, Pretty Woman"
Alexander Calder
James Comey
Piet Mondrian
Paul Klee
extremism
South Africa
a hare
a culture
a CRISPR
Iran and Greece
Chicago
New Orleans
Cairo
Last edited by Archivists on Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
TURKEY WITH THE TRIMMINGS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Of the 8 countries that border Turkey, these 2 extend the farthest east & west

Kiana Nakamura: 6900+3000=9900
Liz Schultz: 3600-2401=1199
Jesse Parks: 7800+3200=11000 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Iran & Greece (Liz – Greece & Iraq)

Daily Doubles
Jesse: 400-1000
Kiana: 5600-1100
Jesse: 8600-2000

Coryats
Kiana: 8000
Liz: 3600
Jesse: 10800

Combined: 22400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Kiana: 1200
Liz: 3600
Jesse: 1400

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The game had some laugh-inducing misses (Catherine Zeta Jones Oscar for The Legend of Zorro & “Dock of the Bay” for the Orbison/Van Halen song) and stunning stumpers (Wat ____? & no guess for Alan Paton’s “Cry, the Beloved Country” country in AFRICAN LITERATURE) to make the game a 4th podium special.

Then what do the players do? Of course. Go 2/3 on a 2-part world geography type FJ! clue. Go figure. 50% for me getting the west and missing the east by a letter like Liz did.

If Kiana had won I like to imagine the reaction of those who would want to protest that she wrote the countries west & east when the clue wanted east & west.

Alex gave an unusual heads up with the FJ! clue category to let the players know it was geography as in the country of Turkey. Perhaps I may have been better off if it was the bird.

PanthersFan1
Contributor

Post by PanthersFan1 »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:26 pm
The game had some laugh-inducing misses (Catherine Zeta Jones Oscar for The Legend of Zorro & “Dock of the Bay” for the Orbison/Van Halen song) and stunning stumpers (Wat ____? & no guess for Alan Paton’s “Cry, the Beloved Country” country in AFRICAN LITERATURE) to make the game a 4th podium special.

Then what do the players do? Of course. Go 2/3 on a 2-part world geography type FJ! clue. Go figure. 50% for me getting the west and missing the east by a letter like Liz did.

If Kiana had won I like to imagine the reaction of those who would want to protest that she wrote the countries west & east when the clue wanted east & west.

Alex gave an unusual heads up with the FJ! clue category to let the players know it was geography as in the country of Turkey. Perhaps I may have been better off if it was the bird.
Kiana had the right countries so who cares what order they are in.

Quit trying to start up a controversy when there is none.

squarekara
LEGO my Ego

Post by squarekara »

Any controversy will do in the post-ToC week, eh?

My experience with Turkey usually involves a fair amount of "Final Jeopardy," but today, the bird made it safely out of the oven just in time for me to tune in. (Yeah, and Iran into the kitchen as the timer went off to confirm that it was bordered on all sides by grease.) I'm checking in here while the juices redistribute.

There was a time when high schoolers could not escape "Cry, the Beloved Country." Now, schools are teaching "The Hunger Games." Whatever.

Today's win could not have been clinched by a nicer guy! Way to go, Jesse! And bonus points to Kiana for coordinating hair color and blouse. It looked awesome and capped off a great run. Happy Thanksgiving, folks!

floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Kiana would have won if she knew how to bet in Final. But the new champ didn't know how to bet either. So he grabbed Victory from the jaws of defeat. Me, I came up with Greece and Iran quickly. But then I wondered what former Soviet countries Turkey bordered.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.

Golf

Post by Golf »

MarkBarrett wrote:
PanthersFan1 wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:19 pm
Quit trying to start up a controversy when there is none.
Oops, Mark forgot to hold up his sarcasm sign. :roll:

The DJ DD's were frustrating, both contestants were obviously not comfortable with the categories yet they wagered over $1000 each time instead of the minimum.

Kiana was in a tough spot wagering in FJ. She has to wager $301 to cover Liz, $901 to cover a 0 wager from Jesse. As it played out Liz wagered thinking she would wager the $901. In the end, all three wagers were far from ideal.

I thought Kiana and Jesse made very good solves on FJ.

hscer

Post by hscer »

I was a bit off on the wagers too, so I went to the archive calculator. It suggests Liz bet under 1800, Kiana between 301-3299, and Jessie to cover at 6001. But Jesse's wager turns out to beat a 3299 wager. Arguably, all three did players did fine.
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer

BennyBXB
Valued Contributor

Post by BennyBXB »

squarekara wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:51 pm
My experience with Turkey usually involves a fair amount of "Final Jeopardy," but today, the bird made it safely out of the oven just in time for me to tune in. (Yeah, and Iran into the kitchen as the timer went off to confirm that it was bordered on all sides by grease.)
uuuuuuuuuugggggggggghhhhhhh

19 right, 1 wrong for me this evening. One right answer short of my daily goal, but much better than the 13 I got yesterday. I wonder if the contestants found out that they would be playing on Thanksgiving and frantically memorized the "Pilgrims" Wikipedia page. Clever of TPTB to throw a Butterball with the country of Turkey tonight.

Sending my love to all of you tonight. Have a happy holiday :)
"It's always better to know a thing than not to know it." -Samuel Parr (as cited by Ken Jennings)

zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

Meh, I think Kiana should have gone all-in. But then, I was comfortably on my couch, not under the lights. Sad to see her go, but congrats to Jesse on the comeback win.

Would be interested to hear, if Kiana joins this week's #JeopardyLivePanel, whether her lunch choice had a measurable effect on her performance in this game. :lol:
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest

Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

We finished dinner at 7:30. Unfortunately, thanks to Complete the List, I knew that Philadelphia is a 7:00 market as opposed to Hashem's intended time of 7:30 like it is in Dayton. Looking at the FJ from Andy's site, that's what I would've guessed, but I couldn't remember if Turkey had a boundary with Kazakhstan.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I must have a food coma, as I only got something like $12,000 for my Coryat today, at least half my average lately.
MarkBarrett wrote:
stunning stumpers (Wat ____?)
I was going to take TPH's place since he hasn't chimed in yet and say, with all sincerity, that I haven't heard of Wat Tyler before, and was surprised you thought it was a relatively easy clue. I checked the Archive and see about 7 previous mentions (or allusions) to him before (not a lot, but not super rare either), didn't check previous get rates though. Still I'd like to request it as a polling option as I still don't think I've heard it before (the other mentions in the Archive were from games during the period when I wasn't watching religiously, started doing that in early 2009).
floridagator wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:03 pm
Kiana would have won if she knew how to bet in Final. But the new champ didn't know how to bet either. So he grabbed Victory from the jaws of defeat. Me, I came up with Greece and Iran quickly. But then I wondered what former Soviet countries Turkey bordered.
Since I came up with the answer quickly, I tried to come up with the other 6 countries Turkey bordered during the remaining time. (Missed Syria and Georgia - I remembered Azerbaijan as I remember the Turkey-Azerbaijan border is one of the shortest in the world).
zerobandwidth wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:16 pm
Would be interested to hear, if Kiana joins this week's #JeopardyLivePanel, whether her lunch choice had a measurable effect on her performance in this game. :lol:
Maybe she had a turkey sandwich? :lol:
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

sarisson

Post by sarisson »

Manchester is the town(ship) next to my hometown, and is technically also the site of the Hindenburg disaster. My grandparents lived in a retirement community there. So you can probably guess who I was rooting for.
I made the same mistake on Final. I knew Armenia bordered Iran, but I wasn't sure about Turkey.
Hoping for a third lap

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Lot's of lach trash in this game.
I picked up Gills, De Havilland, Arizona & Alaska, Oh, Pretty Woman, James Comey, Hare, Extremism.
Also on the missed DD, knew it was going to be Geraldine Ferraro before they even showed the video.

hscer

Post by hscer »

btw is "Pretty Woman" considered okay for the Orbison song or is that like leaving off an S?
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

floridagator wrote: Kiana would have won if she knew how to bet in Final. But the new champ didn't know how to bet either. So he grabbed Victory from the jaws of defeat.
He would have also won on a triple stumper with those wagers. Hard to say whether he was aware Kianna would likely bet less than 3300, or he just liked the ring of $11,000. It'll be interesting to see what he does in Friday's FJ.

Ironhorse
Wagering Pacifist

Post by Ironhorse »

Today's game seemed like a bit of a dozer, but it may just be me and my post-Thanksgiving dinner malaise. I didn't have a problem with Kiana's cautious DJ wagering throughout her run, which is probably garnering more attention due to the TOC featuring some particularly martian wagering.
Never been on J!, but once won a knockoff version that aired on local access TV.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

hscer wrote:
Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:26 pm
btw is "Pretty Woman" considered okay for the Orbison song or is that like leaving off an S?
The Van Halen song is "(Oh) Pretty Woman", so I would say just two words is fine.

doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

The way the game was going, I'm surprised that they did so well in fj. I'm disappointed to see Big O as a TS.

For extremism question, I said communism. Ouch.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!