Thursday, November 23, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: Thursday, November 23, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by TenPoundHammer »

econgator wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:06 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:26 pm Seriously: Divorced, beheaded, died, divorced, beheaded, survived. (For values of "divorced" that include "retroactively declared never to have been a marriage.")
Right, although as you allude to, even that's not entirely correct. The more correct version would be: annulled, annulled (and beheaded), died, annulled, beheaded, widowed. Anne of Cleves also survived Henry (and all the other wives, too).
Which is why I lapsed into quoting Train lyrics instead.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

floridagator wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 7:03 pm Kiana would have won if she knew how to bet in Final. But the new champ didn't know how to bet either. So he grabbed Victory from the jaws of defeat. Me, I came up with Greece and Iran quickly. But then I wondered what former Soviet countries Turkey bordered.
Having spent a little time at various sites in northern Turkey during the cold war, my instinctive instaresponse was "U.S.S.R., of course. Wait, that doesn't exist any more. Does Russia directly border Turkey?" Took too long trying to visualize the region. I finally got to Iran, but probably would have missed it due to running out of time while writing, especially since I dithered an extra five seconds between Greece and Bulgaria before settling on Greece.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:30 am
Lach Trash: "Oh, Pretty Woman", Calder, Mondrian, crisper. Surprisingly, I also got all three of the Daily Doubles.
Word up for the boardies in case spelling ever matters: the acronym is CRISPR, and is one of the achievements by the "squishy" sciences that I am overwhelmed by. That a win for the stamp collectors!

From google: CRISPR -Clustered regularly-interspaced short palindromic repeats are segments of prokaryotic DNA containing short repetitions of base sequences.

I'm not being pedantic about the spelling, but I was surprised to see it show up here and not surprised at the TS. And I thought they might have an alternate acronym.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:30 am I have a vague idea of where Turkey is, but I couldn't tell you what countries border it. I somehow got Greece, but had China for the other country. But that's nobody's business but the Turks'.
We should poll THAT and see who knows the Mills' Brothers tune :lol: . (turns out to be the Four Lads) :oops:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:41 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:30 am I have a vague idea of where Turkey is, but I couldn't tell you what countries border it. I somehow got Greece, but had China for the other country. But that's nobody's business but the Turks'.
We should poll THAT and see who knows the Mills' Brothers tune :lol: . (turns out to be the Four Lads) :oops:
I actually know it through the They Might Be Giants version. Which may forever win the award for "most left-field song I've ever heard playing over the speakers in a store".
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Poll request for Wat.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

27 R
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Tyler, (Sinister), Arizona & Alaska, Alexander Calder, James Comey, Piet Mondrian, Paul Klee
Douglas Squasoni
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

Do I really need to fess up to this mess?

OK. Here goes.

R:9 W:4 costing 3200.
FJ: :mrgreen: on two lucky guesses
Coryat: 1600. No, I didn't miss a digit there.
LT: only Gills, in spite of plentiful opportunities.

I blanked on 7 entire categories, if you include the two cut short by time and those that I ventured an answer that was wrong. This whole game has got to be close to my personal worst case scenario.

I cannot claim any great knowledge in getting FJ correct. I had a rough idea of Turkey's southern border. I was pretty sure both Greece and Iran bordered Turkey (as well as Iraq and I think Syria). But I have no clue about Turkey's norther border. Got lucky that sort of knowing those 4 was enough.

Who: Wat. Color me clueless. I thought of Angkor Wat, but that's a "what" not a "who", and the "where" was completely wrong. Cambodia is not in Africa. I'll take the under 25% on the weekly poll.

The art DD - I quickly saw how to get to the answer, but I don't know enough Spanish to translate Dove/Paloma. If the category didn't have 3 TSs and a neg on the DD, I'd argue that it's overpriced in the $1600 slot. On the art knowledge alone, it's probably well-placed, but the completely unrelated second path to the response makes it quite a bit easier.

Got stumped on Geraldine Ferraro. I recognized the face right away, but I could only come up with "Walter Mondale's running mate". I suspect the judges are not going to accept that at all.
--Peter
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Lach Trash: "Oh, Pretty Woman", Calder, Mondrian, crisper. Surprisingly, I also got all three of the Daily Doubles.
Word up for the boardies in case spelling ever matters: the acronym is CRISPR, and is one of the achievements by the "squishy" sciences that I am overwhelmed by. That a win for the stamp collectors!

From google: CRISPR -Clustered regularly-interspaced short palindromic repeats are segments of prokaryotic DNA containing short repetitions of base sequences.

I'm not being pedantic about the spelling, but I was surprised to see it show up here and not surprised at the TS. And I thought they might have an alternate acronym.
The closed-captioning (which is usually pretty good about spelling stuff you’d only see on Jeppardy!) spelled it “crisper”. :(
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
zerobandwidth
That Guy Who Said "Yay!"

Post by zerobandwidth »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 12:18 pm Future contestants take note. Just last month we had an FJ asking for the only country to border the Caspian Sea and the Persian Gulf. It could really be worth your time to learn the basic geography of the region. I got both that FJ and this one, but I was guessing both times. If I had a show date coming up, I'd definitely want to get this nailed down. I don't think we need to know where Uzbekistan is in relation to Azerbaijan. (Correct answer: it's around there somewhere.) But they definitely ask about sizable countries and countries in the news from the Middle East and former SSR areas.
In particular, the geography of Iraq, Iran, Israel, Palestine, Lebanon, Syria, and Yemen (all current or very recent conflict zones) should be considered fair game. We fought _two_ major battles for Kirkuk since 2003 and it was a TS.
Battle of the Brains contestant, 1995-1997
Jeopardy! match 34:13, 2017-09-27
LearnedLeague: PatersonP (LL76: D Summit Div2)

The truth is rarely pure, and never simple.
— from Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

dhkendall wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:26 pm

The closed-captioning (which is usually pretty good about spelling stuff you’d only see on Jeppardy!) spelled it “crisper”. :(
That is sad! And they freaking want that Beatle album all written out with a light pen!
Mock outrage aside, they probably never see the transcription of the CC. The TOM of the clue talking about the refrigerator would have the "e". It is a cool acronym for a biologist, but nothing like the MACHO's and WIMPS we have in Cosmology, or even the TWAIN (Technology Without An Interesting Name) offered up by the Computer tech nerds. :lol:
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Another handy hint for Hank Tudor’s wives. If you ignore Jane Seymour (the one who died and only one with a unique name), notice the others served in alphabetical order by “last” name.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

Another Greece & Iraq here. I was just looking at Armenia on a map Tuesday night, and I noticed that Iraq extended farther east. But I failed to notice Iran sitting right there between them. When deciding between Iran and Iraq, I went with the one I was 100% sure borders Turkey. :roll:

I think I would have spelled CRISPR correctly if forced to, even though it's not an app for finding salads in your area.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

inadvertent spoiler deleted - mea culpa...
Last edited by twelvefootboy on Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

So, this is something I've never understood ... the games are chosen randomly before the match so as not to give a particular contestant an advantage. So how do they ensure that an FJ like this airs exactly on Thanksgiving?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

alietr wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:23 am So, this is something I've never understood ... the games are chosen randomly before the match so as not to give a particular contestant an advantage. So how do they ensure that an FJ like this airs exactly on Thanksgiving?
I suppose they could have specified that this FJ had to go with the Thursday game.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

alietr wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:23 am So, this is something I've never understood ... the games are chosen randomly before the match so as not to give a particular contestant an advantage. So how do they ensure that an FJ like this airs exactly on Thanksgiving?
It does seem to go against what we know about standards and practices, but of course we know there are holiday specific categories all the time. And it's discussed in Jeopardy books, once you know your tape date do some specific research about it.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

If everyone knows it airs on Thanksgiving, no one contestant is given an advantage over the other.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7), The Decline of the American Empire (7)
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $28,600
37 R/2 W
DD: 1/3
FJ: :(
LT: West Bank, president pro tempore, Arizona & Alaska, "Oh, Pretty Woman", James Comey, Geraldine Ferraro (DD), extremism, South Africa, CRISPR
This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:24 am I ended up putting down Greece and Russia. I came close to switching to Iran because I didn't think Turkey bordered Russia, but decided to stand pat. Oh well.

Wat Tyler was a "huh?" for me, too.
Ditto all of this. I wonder, though: could this response have led to a successful protest? After all, they didn't specify that it had to be a land border, and Turkey and Russia are directly across an intracontinental body of water from one another. For example, the DRC and Tanzania are considered to border one another, even though their border is made up entirely of Lake Tanganyika. This seems at least as arguable as that FJ! about Michael Collins.
Sprinkles are for winners.
davey

Post by davey »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:25 am Coryat: $28,600
37 R/2 W
DD: 1/3
FJ: :(
LT: West Bank, president pro tempore, Arizona & Alaska, "Oh, Pretty Woman", James Comey, Geraldine Ferraro (DD), extremism, South Africa, CRISPR
This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 1:24 am I ended up putting down Greece and Russia. I came close to switching to Iran because I didn't think Turkey bordered Russia, but decided to stand pat. Oh well.

Wat Tyler was a "huh?" for me, too.
Ditto all of this. I wonder, though: could this response have led to a successful protest? After all, they didn't specify that it had to be a land border, and Turkey and Russia are directly across an intracontinental body of water from one another. For example, the DRC and Tanzania are considered to border one another, even though their border is made up entirely of Lake Tanganyika. This seems at least as arguable as that FJ! about Michael Collins.
If this is so, I'll take this one as a win and withdraw my challenge to the FJ of 11/29 - they can have it!... ;)