Friday, November 24, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Re: Friday, November 24, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $31,400
47 R/4 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Dian Fossey, pencil sharpener, J.K. Rowling, bail, Thermopylae (DD), phalanx, projectile

I didn't know about the hot gates of Thermopylae when it was asked about in LL several seasons ago, but I definitely do now.

Orphan + Dickensian names + alphabetic sequence = a lot of TOM for one FJ!
squarekara wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:52 pm J! falls victim to college football today, so not sure when I'll be able to view this episode.
The J! Reddit subgroup always posts it in the respective daily game thread. So as to not be spoiled, I recommend clicking on the thread, then running a ctrl-F for "drive."
Plactus wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:33 pm Judges: Fines instead of bail for the 8th Amendment clue? They were obviously going for bail because of the mention of getting out of jail, but the amendment does prohibit excessive fines as well.
I'd give it to you. It's conceivable that one might be held in jail pending the payment of a fine.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Peter the accountant
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Peter the accountant »

A bit of redemption from yesterday for me.

R: 22 W: 4, costing 2800
FJ!: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Coryat: 13200
LT: projectile, piezeoelectric, Porsche, bail

FJ was extremely frustrating for me. I knew it was Dickens right away. I'm horrible at literature in general, but Dickens is one corner that I've read and remember. Except under pressure. I couldn't come up with Oliver Twist to save my life. I got stuck on Tom Sawyer, knowing full well he's a Mark Twain character and he's not in the title of the book (which would be Huckleberry Finn). Once I got stuck, I couldn't get out of that hole.

Apparently, today's players have the same lack of penchant for lit that I do. I blanked that category, along with the actors and Sparta. I did run the Bill of Rights

Once again, I can't figure Jesse's final wager, not that it mattered today. Marcus wagered correctly, as did Jennifer. She had to get it right to win even if Marcus didn't while wagering enough to lock out Jesse. In that setting, wagering everything is the correct move.
--Peter
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Not knowing what "triage" meant kept me at 4/5 in "Ize".

How was "pencil sharpener" a TS? I ran the category.

PT-109 and dialing 311 were completely unfamiliar to me in the top box.

Also got lach trash on coven = 13.

Yes, I got the clue with Otter in it. My only get in JFK, too.

Blah blah orphan, I see names with S, U, and V. Hey, Oliver Twist slots in there nicely.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

For some reason, Wheel of Fortune aired late at night here, which usually happens when it's interrupted earlier, but not Jeopardy! I don't remember that happening before. Wonder if it was a one-time mistake, or if they just aren't going to show Jeopardy! if sports interrupt anymore.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Peter the accountant wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 12:34 am I got stuck on Tom Sawyer, knowing full well he's a Mark Twain character and he's not in the title of the book (which would be Huckleberry Finn).
Actually, Huckleberry Finn first appears in Twain's novel The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. He then gets his own spinoff book. So they each get to be a title character in their own novel and each makes some guest appearances in the other's novel.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:44 amActually, Huckleberry Finn first appears in Twain's novel The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. He then gets his own spinoff book. So they each get to be a title character in their own novel and each makes some guest appearances in the other's novel.
Thank you. Gotta keep learning!
--Peter
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:21 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:54 pm
Hey, your last post in Thursday's thread contains an FJ-spoiling quote from this thread. I already reported it, but maybe you can remedy it sooner than a mod can. Here's a link to your post so you don't have to hunt it down.
Huh? I deleted the linked post, but don't see the spoiler. I'm not curious enough to know what the conflict was but apologetic for the mistake. The post was just a quip with no redeeming value but just repeated other info in the thread already. Sorry for anyone who is dumber now. 8-)
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:51 pm
Hey, your last post in Thursday's thread contains an FJ-spoiling quote from this thread. I already reported it, but maybe you can remedy it sooner than a mod can. Here's a link to your post so you don't have to hunt it down.
Huh? I deleted the linked post, but don't see the spoiler. I'm not curious enough to know what the conflict was but apologetic for the mistake. The post was just a quip with no redeeming value but just repeated other info in the thread already. Sorry for anyone who is dumber now. 8-)
The mods already got to it. After your innocuous comment about Thursday's game in that thread, you quoted and responded to Peter the accountant's post from this thread. I don't know how you managed that! But as I said, the offending portion was already edited out by the mods.

Edit: and now I see you took out what was left! I should have just left it to the mods and not posted about it.
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

I told myself “this seems like a good FJ category to bet big on, worst case scenario there’s a finite number of choices for a wild guess,” but I never expected a kids’ week answer.

Lach Trash: Pencil Sharpener, Prague
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:38 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:51 pm
The mods already got to it. After your innocuous comment about Thursday's game in that thread, you quoted and responded to Peter the accountant's post from this thread. I don't know how you managed that! But as I said, the offending portion was already edited out by the mods.

Edit: and now I see you took out what was left! I should have just left it to the mods and not posted about it.
I kind of wondered if I got to the sanitized version. No problem deleting any of my dreck! Thanks for protecting the thread integrity. Missing Wednesday's game outright made them all blend together and I tried to make a smaller footprint. Now I've wasted way too many ones and zeroes. And I remember the comment
Spoiler
about a stupid magician (now I use the spoiler box!)
. Way to go Mods! BTW, the answer to next Monday FJ is 42 :lol: .
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

floridagator wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:44 pm Pencils were a source of lead poisoning not because lead was ever used in the graphite mix that went into them, but because of the lead-based yellow paint that was used to color them for decades.

THAT I did not know, and I'm sure I would have called Junk Science and Fake News if somebody told me that in a bar. Where I live, lead is the fifth base pair in our DNA so we don't need to get it from our lapices. I'm guessing the yellow paint had a fair amount of Cadmium as well. Lead is pretty bad stuff and it's hard to believe we fogged our environment with it for 50 years to keep our engines from knocking.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Vowela wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:26 am For some reason, Wheel of Fortune aired late at night here, which usually happens when it's interrupted earlier, but not Jeopardy! I don't remember that happening before. Wonder if it was a one-time mistake, or if they just aren't going to show Jeopardy! if sports interrupt anymore.
Don't know what market you're in, but the same thing happened with the Denver station that airs Jeopardy!. Sports ran long, WOF was on at midnight, but Jeopardy! vanished into the ether. Looks like it was an interesting game from reading the comments.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.