Friday, November 24, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, November 24, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7640, 2017-11-24

CONTESTANTS
Jennifer Chang, a journalist from Brooklyn, New York
Marcus Gresham, a WRAP facilitator from Corydon, Indiana
Jesse Parks, a performance manager from Houston, Texas (whose 1-day cash winnings total $11,000)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. We started out this week with a big win, with $31,500. But since then, we've had more modest wins. Let's see if we can't end the week on a big, big win. Jennifer, Marcus and Jesse, it's up to you. Here we go. I hope you like the categories.

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
BILL'S BILL OF RIGHTS RIGHTS (4/5)
DETECTIVE FICTION (2/5)
PENCIL IT IN (4/5)
TEAM MASCOTS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
NOTABLE WOMEN (4/5)
ALL "IZE" ON YOU (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Marcus: 13 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Jesse: 10 R, 3 W
Jennifer: 1 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,000

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Marcus found the Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Jesse had $200, Marcus had $400, and Jennifer had nothing in the bank. Marcus wagered $1,000.

TEAM MASCOTS $600: In the "birthplace of rock 'n' roll", Moondog (an homage to DJ Alan Freed's nickname) barks for this NBA team

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Marcus: $5,600
Jesse: $1,600
Jennifer: -$600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Jennifer Chang is a journalist from Brooklyn, New York. Jennifer, I live near a park where people walk their dogs. I have a miniature Australian shepherd who is not intimidated by any dog except for corgis. You have a corgi that has a great deal of popularity.

Jennifer: Yes.

Alex: On social media. Tell me about it.

Jennifer: Yes. My dog is more famous than me and more famous than I'll ever be. She has over 8,000 followers on social media.

Alex: Good for her.

Alex: Marcus Gresham, a WRAP facilitator from Corydon, Indiana. Is that right?

Marcus: Yep.

Alex: Now, you have a family crest.

Marcus: We do.

Alex: How did that come about?

Marcus: I think it's probably the least imposing family crest in the history of heraldry. I've seen lions, I've seen dragons, stags--

Alex: Unicorns, things like that.

Marcus: We have the shield. We have the knight's helmet on top of the shield, and then on the knight's helmet there's a grasshopper.

[Laughter]

Alex: Ah.

Alex: Jesse Parks is our champion. He's from Houston. Used to work in a hotel as a manager.

Jesse: Yes, sir.

Alex: And you would collect what?

Jesse: When I was a kid and we would travel, I would always take a key card from any hotel that we stayed in. I thought it was a harmless, neat way for me to remember where I'd been, and places I had seen. Later, when I did it as a living, on the other side of it, I was always wondering where all these keys were going that I was ordering and having to pay for. All those kids that were staying in my hotel take 'em home, putting 'em in drawers. I now have two or three drawers full of them that I wish I could give back.

[Laughter]

Alex: Okay.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
NOTABLE WOMEN $1000: Her fight against gorilla poachers intensified in 1978 after the killing of Digit, one of her favorite animals
(Jennifer: Who is Goodall?)

PENCIL IT IN $200: Pencils have been around for centuries, but this aid wasn't patented until 1828, using "metal files set at 90°"
(Jesse: What is a compass?)
(Marcus: What is an eraser?)

DETECTIVE FICTION $400: Under the name Robert Galbraith, she's taken to writing detective novels featuring Cormoran Strike

DETECTIVE FICTION $600: Kathy Reichs' novels featuring Temperance Brennan include "Bare" these & "Cross" these

BILL'S BILL OF RIGHTS RIGHTS $800: Bill got out of jail without having to sell his Trans Am because the eighth amendment prevents excessive this
(Jesse: What is seizure?)

DETECTIVE FICTION $1000: In his novel "Devil in a Blue Dress", he introduced Easy Rawlins, an African-American detective in 1940s Los Angeles

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Marcus: $8,600
Jesse: $3,400
Jennifer: -$600
Last edited by Archivists on Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, November 24, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE EUROPEAN MIDWEST (4/5)
HOW MANY IN YOUR PARTY? (3/5)
THEY PLAYED JFK (5/5)
"P" IN PHYSICS (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE 300+ (3/5)
THIS...WAS...SPARTA! (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jesse: 8 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Marcus: 7 R, 2 W
Jennifer: 6 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 8
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $13,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jennifer snagged the next Daily Double on the 3rd clue. Jesse had $3,800, Marcus had $8,600, and Jennifer was at $200. Jennifer wagered $2,000.

THIS...WAS...SPARTA! $1200: In 480 B.C. King Leonidas & his men perished to the last Spartan defending this mountain pass from invasion
(Jennifer: I don't know.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Jesse who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 25th clue. Jesse had $6,600, Marcus had $12,600, and Jennifer was at $3,000. Jesse wagered $2,000.

"P" IN PHYSICS $800: This quantum of light is the particle that carries the electromagnetic energy

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THIS...WAS...SPARTA! $1600: In war Spartan soldiers called hoplites used this closely linked formation, from the Greek for "line of battle"

THE EUROPEAN MIDWEST $1200: A Nebraska city named for this Bohemian capital has "Beer Barrel Days" in August--everybody polka!
(Marcus: What's Warsaw?)

HOW MANY IN YOUR PARTY? $1600: A coven (traditionally)

HOW MANY IN YOUR PARTY? $2000: A minyan (minimally)

THE 300+ $1600: AL 333, AKA "the first family", is a group of hominid fossils found in Hadar in this Horn of Africa nation
(Marcus: What is Somalia?)

THE 300+ $2000: Built starting in 1948, the 356 was this company's first production automobile

"P" IN PHYSICS $1200: It's any object that after being given an initial velocity is allowed to fall under the effects of gravity alone

"P" IN PHYSICS $2000: In 1880 it was found that if you compress a crystal like quartz, you can produce this effect

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Marcus: $14,600
Jesse: $10,200
Jennifer: $4,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
NOVEL TITLE CHARACTERS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place.
Marcus: Wager $5,801 to cover Jesse.
Jesse: You'll want to wager between $0 (venusian) and $999 (martian), and you'll win the game if Marcus wagers enough and gets it wrong.
Jennifer: To win, you must get Final right and count on a wagering mistake on Jesse's part. Wager all $4,600.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
One orphan arriving before him was given the surname Swubble; some arriving later were to be Unwin & Vilkins

FINAL SCORES
Jennifer: $4,600 + $4,600 = $9,200 (Who is Oliver Twist?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Jesse: $10,200 - $4,800 = $5,400 (Who is Tom Thumb) (3rd place: $1,000)
Marcus: $14,600 + $5,801 = $20,401 (Who is Oliver Twist?) (New champion: $20,401)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $17,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Marcus: $14,200, 20 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Jesse: $9,000, 18 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Jennifer: $6,600, 7 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $29,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Marcus: 21/59 = .356
Jesse: 18/59 = .305
Jennifer: 8/59 = .136
Team: 47/63 = .746

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
ALL "IZE" ON YOU $600: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows a helicopter on the monitor.) Magic seemingly happens when a helicopter's rotor blades and a video camera's frame rate become this, from the Greek for "at the same time"

ALL "IZE" ON YOU $800: By definition, triage is an effort to do this to patients, in terms of their care
(Jesse: What is stabilize?)

NOTABLE WOMEN $200: Even after stepping down as a world leader, this woman stayed in Parliament and later moved on to the House of Lords

BILL'S BILL OF RIGHTS RIGHTS $400: According to the first amendment, the government can't establish this, but Bill is allowed to start the Billitarians
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

THEY PLAYED JFK $800: He got an Emmy nomination for the role in a 2011 miniseries

CORRECT RESPONSES
the Cleveland Cavaliers
Dian Fossey
a pencil sharpener
J.K. Rowling
bones
bail
Walter Mosley
Thermopylae
a photon
the phalanx
Prague
thirteen
ten
Ethiopia
a Porsche
a projectile
the piezoelectric effect
Oliver Twist
synchronized
prioritize
Margaret Thatcher
an official church (or religion)
Greg Kinnear
Last edited by Archivists on Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
NOVEL TITLE CHARACTERS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
One orphan arriving before him was given the surname Swubble; some arriving later were to be Unwin & Vilkins

Jesse Parks: 10200-4800=5400
Marcus Gresham: 14600+5801=20401 (New Champ)
Jennifer Chang: 4600+4600=9200

Correct response:
Spoiler
Oliver Twist (Jesse – Tom Thumb)

Daily Doubles
Marcus: 400+1000
Jennifer: 200-2000
Jesse: 6600+2000 (five clues remaining and trailing by 6000)

Coryats
Jesse: 9000
Marcus: 14200
Jennifer: 6600

Combined: 29,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Jesse: 3400
Marcus: 8600
Jennifer: minus 600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

For the first time this week we got 61 clues.

DETECTIVE FICTION was scored:
Players: 2
Viewers: 3

I had to take a loop to recall the author of Easy Rawlins as I blanked on his name and then recalled he shared the same surname as my 7th grade P.E. teacher. Whatever works.

When you go on the J! stage it can be helpful to have straight Fossey, Goodall and Mead as they all come up and sometimes there can be a rebound opportunity when first in goes the wrong way.

You can do a Google search for “Jennifer Chang corgi” to see the cute-looking dog she mentioned.

The FJ! clue was a solve for me as soon as I saw “orphan” and then I caught on to the alphabet assurance. Jesse missed while at least he had the right letter.

Marcus seemed to benefit from not only TEAM MASCOTS, but some bonus sports clues in other places.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I got FJ purely from "orphan." I didn't notice the alphabet angle until I saw Mark's comment.
Leander

Post by Leander »

I got this from “orphan”, plus Swubble sounded Dickensian to me.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

J! falls victim to college football today, so not sure when I'll be able to view this episode. Curious to see the final edit after audio glitches forced Jennifer to re-do her entire interview. During the shuttle ride to the studio that morning, the air was ELECTRIC with sports trivia. The guys were playfully throwing statistics back and forth with great gusto, and sports dominated the conversation from the get-go. The J! Gods must've had that in mind to finish off the day with a sports-heavy board. When those categories came up, it was a pretty galvanizing moment! :o
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

squarekara wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:52 pm J! falls victim to college football today, so not sure when I'll be able to view this episode. Curious to see the final edit after audio glitches forced Jennifer to re-do her entire interview. During the shuttle ride to the studio that morning, the air was ELECTRIC with sports trivia. The guys were playfully throwing statistics back and forth with great gusto, and sports dominated the conversation from the get-go. The J! Gods must've had that in mind to finish off the day with a sports-heavy board. When those categories came up, it was a pretty galvanizing moment! :o
Interesting. More evidence they're burning off their backlog of unused Sports Jeopardy material.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Pencils were a source of lead poisoning not because lead was ever used in the graphite mix that went into them, but because of the lead-based yellow paint that was used to color them for decades.

I got FJ from orphan, and the alphabetic sequence merely confirmed my conclusion. I did take note of Tom Thumb as negbait.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

squarekara wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:52 pm J! falls victim to college football today, so not sure when I'll be able to view this episode.
Yeah, normally I'm kinda pissed when J! gets preempted, but that UCF-USF game was just insane.

Instaget off of reading the clue above.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

Judges: Fines instead of bail for the 8th Amendment clue? They were obviously going for bail because of the mention of getting out of jail, but the amendment does prohibit excessive fines as well.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

econgator wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:26 pm
squarekara wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:52 pm J! falls victim to college football today, so not sure when I'll be able to view this episode.
Yeah, normally I'm kinda pissed when J! gets preempted, but that UCF-USF game was just insane.
Tell me about it. Even my daughter, who has zero interest in football, couldn't get over how "crazy" it was.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

31 R
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Dian Fossey, J. K. Rowling, Bail, (Thermopylae), Prague, Thirteen, Ethiopia, Piezoelectric Effect
Douglas Squasoni
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

I wondered if the JFK category might contain Andrew Robinson, of Dirty Harry fame. Too obscure, I know.

I had a hunch Jesse would go for an even $15,000 in FJ wagering, instead of the venusian 999 to lock out Jennifer.

Lach Trash: Bail, Sharpener, 13, Porche
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

Category 13 wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:18 pm I wondered if the JFK category might contain Andrew Robinson, of Dirty Harry fame. Too obscure, I know.
Funny, I was wondering about Bruce Greenwood, who played him in Thirteen Days. Both he and Robinson also have Star Trek connections, so there might be a couple of ways to get there.

Marcus's wardrobe today kind of made me wish I'd gone to my last audition in my favorite Hawaiian shirt, which looks a lot like the one he sported. Good way to get noticed?
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

acthomas wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:35 pm
Category 13 wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:18 pm I wondered if the JFK category might contain Andrew Robinson, of Dirty Harry fame. Too obscure, I know.
Marcus's wardrobe today kind of made me wish I'd gone to my last audition in my favorite Hawaiian shirt, which looks a lot like the one he sported. Good way to get noticed?
That shirt perfectly suited Marcus' big, fun personality, which doesn't seem like the button-down type. If you wear a favorite Hawaiian shirt to an audition, you'll feel more at ease. As long as you don't pair it with cutoffs and flipflops, I think that's a plan for next time.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

squarekara wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:51 pm
That shirt perfectly suited Marcus' big, fun personality, which doesn't seem like the button-down type. If you wear a favorite Hawaiian shirt to an audition, you'll feel more at ease. As long as you don't pair it with cutoffs and flipflops, I think that's a plan for next time.
Corydon, where Marcus is from, is about a 30 minute drive west of Louisville. Besides being known as Indiana's first capital, it's also known for this gem of a commercial (first 90 seconds of the segment):

I'm thinking he gets a hoot out of this.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

badgerfellow wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:07 pm
squarekara wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:51 pm
Corydon, where Marcus is from, is about a 30 minute drive west of Louisville. Besides being known as Indiana's first capital, it's also known for this gem of a commercial (first 90 seconds of the segment):

I'm thinking he gets a hoot out of this.
Bam! Endorsement deal for Marcus! :lol: Now rethink your audition attire. . . unbuttoned Hawaiian shirt over t-shirt from colorful local business.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

My first thought was Twist. I considered Harry Potter, but I rejected him since Rowling came up earlier in the game.

Football knocked this game off my TV, but the Reddit guy seemed to get up early to get the Montgomery edition.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Argggh! Easy FJ clue for my first 5/5 week, and I totally could NOT get David Copperfield out of my brain to make room for the name I knew it was. I could see the street urchins and the famous tag line: Please, sir, may I have some more??

Yay, a Physics category with actual science questions! And sadly, a bit too YEKIOYD for the contestants and we will probably never see the likes again. I knew it was doomed when Jessie said "Air Pressure" in a P for Physics category. The "Projectile" one is a bit dodgy way to describe the subject of a ballistic trajectory, the term is used, but just incidentally. I assume Alex did some homework on pronunciation, but in the several hundred speakers I've heard discussing piezoelectricity, I've never heard it pronounced as "PIE-zoelectric" (It's PEE -eh zoelectric". Also too obscure for a FJ clue, even at $2K. :(

What a relief to see Jennifer finish strongly :) . The deer in the headlights on her first DD was scary. She was one David Copperfield brainlock away from becoming the champ today.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.