Monday, November 27, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Monday, November 27, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:12 pm Oh, I understand all that completely. I was speaking simply to the clues that were linked stating that the Constitution gives the President a military rank, which is 100% wrong.
What are the practical differences between a civilian rank and a military rank? I know the distinction gets made, but I'm totally unclear on what it means.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:38 pm
econgator wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:12 pm Oh, I understand all that completely. I was speaking simply to the clues that were linked stating that the Constitution gives the President a military rank, which is 100% wrong.
What are the practical differences between a civilian rank and a military rank? I know the distinction gets made, but I'm totally unclear on what it means.
I'm not sure there's any distinction beyond one of them is a member of the Armed Services and the other is not.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:34 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:38 pm
I'm not sure there's any distinction beyond one of them is a member of the Armed Services and the other is not.
That's pretty much it.
bbird
Valued Contributor

Post by bbird »

Was there some joke/reference in "Ranking the New Military Man" that I missed? Once I figured out how the category worked (it's like the "salute" Ted and Robin did on How I Met Your Mother), I understood why Commander-in-Chief wasn't accepted, but I wondered if the category title was supposed to be a hint I didn't get. Regardless of civilian vs. military, Commander-in-Chief doesn't work because it's literal rather than cutesy.
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

bbird wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:03 am Was there some joke/reference in "Ranking the New Military Man" that I missed? Once I figured out how the category worked (it's like the "salute" Ted and Robin did on How I Met Your Mother), I understood why Commander-in-Chief wasn't accepted, but I wondered if the category title was supposed to be a hint I didn't get. Regardless of civilian vs. military, Commander-in-Chief doesn't work because it's literal rather than cutesy.
Also why did it have to be ranking the new military MAN? General election or corporal punishment couldn't have been a woman? I was late watching the show and haven't looked at the Jeopardy! Facebook or Twitter this week, but that category seemed to just be begging for trouble.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $28,200
41 R/2 W
DD: 0/3
FJ: :(
LT: The Course Whisperer

This was my first 0-fer on DDs since November 2015. Bavaria and Berlin on FJ!
Sprinkles are for winners.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

The Seinfeld Puffy Shirt episode is on right now on TBS.