Tuesday, November 28, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Tuesday, November 28, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:20 pm Lach Trash: boysenberry, Betty, "Howl"
Nice! How do you know boysenberry? I can't get in the Kansas City area. I can't imagine it's available in your one-McDonalds town.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Instaget FJ! Thought sure it would be a triget.
Came home in time for the last two categories and picked up some easy trash--Jacobins, National Front, and Howl.
Kittridge was a total stumper, tho.
Last edited by DBear on Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I agree. I assumed this would be a triple get. Even when Amanda missed it, I still figured Marcus wouldn't. Dude works with kids and all. Sad to see him go, seeing as how he knows my home town.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:22 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:20 pm Lach Trash: boysenberry, Betty, "Howl"
Nice! How do you know boysenberry? I can't get in the Kansas City area. I can't imagine it's available in your one-McDonalds town.
I think I saw it in a Bathroom Reader
mcsheffrey
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by mcsheffrey »

I completely whiffed on FJ. I'm slightly too old to have grown up with it and only ever experienced it through my kids as a card game and TV show.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

When I saw the Final category, I had to call my son down, at least give him the opportunity to beat his old man at Jeopardy! for once maybe. However, it turned out to be an instaget for both of us ("instaget" defined as "writing down our answers before Alex is even done reading the clue") He even had the accent mark over the "e". (I didn't).

The most interest story out of our journey to getting Final is the different ways we went about it. He initially thought of the game "Pikmin", because the hero, Olimar, is very small and the pikmin he collects are "the size of ants". But the 1996 part led him away from Pikmin and into the loving embrace of Pokemon. Whereas I, I just looked at the clue and read "blah blah blah catch every insect blah blah blah" and wrote down Pokemon. (If I was asked to guess what year Pokemon debuted, I don't think I would have guessed 1996.) Interestingly, my daughter, who is also a big fan of video games and has a YouTube channel where her and her brother play them, didn't get Final at all. I explained to her the term we sometimes use on the board of "blah blah blah relevant info here blah blah blah" to describe some clue structures and she explained that she read it where she only "blah blah blah"'d over the "catch every insect" part. (TPH has said he's done that several times before so if there's a name for it, I"m sure it has something to do with TPH)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

37 R
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Mercury, Neptune, Port, Plum, Boysenberry, Betty, Jacobins
Douglas Squasoni
Wheatley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Wheatley »

I hate to call an FJ "Kids' Week" after saying the same about one from last week, but if the size 3 Keds fits. I say this because of the amount of help in the clue, not just the subject material.

This tip is probably not helpful since they'll never do a video game question agian, but the Atari and most obscure consoles died before the 90's, So if they ask for a game from that decade, it's probably a Playstation or Nintendo game, or if they're feeling really mean, Dreamcast.

Played way too fast & loose today and whiffed on 4/5 Knotty questions.
Last edited by Wheatley on Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Wheatley wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:32 pm I hate to call an FJ "Kids' Week" after saying the same about one from last week, but if the size 3 Keds fits. I say this because of the amount of help in the clue, not just the subject material.
And yet it went 1/3...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:20 pm I had FJ! correct before Alex was done reading the clue.
@TPH, isn't your avatar a Pokemon?

I also had instaget, but simply because is was a complete WECIB for me. I think I knew it was invented by an individual, sort of like emojis are also credited to one creator. But otherwise, it's only the Pokemon Go game that has it on my radar. I think I remember they are Pocket Monsters, so I don't know how they got the Anglicized name from a Japanese creator.

I got boysenberry from seeing it in jam/jelly assortments. I didn't know it wasn't an indigenous species.

I had "squeak" for "creak", but accept the verdict that the actual sound matches the latter more than the former.

I was shocked that this wasn't a triple get. Once again the clue writers have perfect pitch. People who know the answer almost all learned something new - the boy insect collector, or the year, or the name - well done!

The betting conversations have my head spinning. My first instinct on Matt's bet was DUMB BET - IT COULDA BEEN A TRIPLE STUMPER! Instead, he made 10 grand and I'm glad to see TPTB lose the cash. But he could have felt good about the category, and why not go all in. The whole +/- $1 and tiebreak strategies befuddle me - glad I'm not calling the shots.

Good paced game. I just loved the "what is $1000" bet, even if it was an incorrect wager.
Last edited by twelvefootboy on Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

Volante wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:36 pm
Wheatley wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:32 pm I hate to call an FJ "Kids' Week" after saying the same about one from last week, but if the size 3 Keds fits. I say this because of the amount of help in the clue, not just the subject material.
And yet it went 1/3...
Granted, nothing's Kids Week if the topic is outside their wheelhouse, and that category was, given they both got the wrong hemisphere and decade - which isn't knocking their general Jeopardy skills, it just is what it is. I'm asserting that it's kids' week because if you ask someone who's scratched the surface of video game trivia to simply name a random 90's Japanese video game, they will say Pokemon
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

floridagator wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:45 pm I said Jacobeans. Am I negged?
You are.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

One more whiff on FJ. I really had nothing other than Centipede which I knew was more than ten years earlier. I know of Pokemon, but clearly don't know much about it besides the name.
davey

Post by davey »

Since I've been beating up on Alex lately, I might as well say that I didn't get the National Front clue, but I do know that Pen in that name is pronounced like an English word, not like a French one. Penn, not Pawnh...
I probably know less about video games than German geography...like others, I thought Pokemon was a card game...nor would I ever have connected the "characters" with insects...
davey

Post by davey »

econgator wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:59 pm
floridagator wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:45 pm I said Jacobeans. Am I negged?
You are.
Not necessarily, if pronounced in 3 syllables... ;)
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

This was a nice day for the board. We had a Bloom County clue and a Pokemon clue. A Mustang isn't a Pontiac GTO though.

I said "Jacobian" just like floridagator and it's wrong. Save that one for the linear algebra category.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:22 pm
Now I'll have to look next time I'm at the Leawood Trader Joe's.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Howl really surprised me as a TS.

The FJ reminded me of one episode of the prime time run of Millionaire, where a $500,000 question was "Which of these is not a Pokemon?" (the answer being Frodo)
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I said "whoosh" instead of "swish" for the nothing but net clue in Onomatopoeia category. Judges? I missed this FJ. I'm sure some would have been aghast but had I been up on the stage I would've bet zero once I saw the FJ category. Pretty cool to see Tierra Del Fuego up there! I spent some time there earlier this year! I was rooting for Amanda but it was nice to see 3 strong players up there. Good game!
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

45 right.

Planet (2), Women (5), Goodbye (4), Cold (5), Transportation (5), "GO" (4)
Knotly (1), Literature (4), Onomatopoeia (2), French (5), 2-D (3), USA (5)

Lach Trash: Neptune, Jerry Orbach, Betty, Jacobins, National Front, Howl

Instaget FJ.