Tuesday, November 28, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, November 28, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7642, 2017-11-28

CONTESTANTS
Matt Preston, an assets protection leader from Harvest, Alabama
Amanda Barlau, a stay-at-home mom from Seymour, Indiana
Marcus Gresham, a WRAP facilitator from Corydon, Indiana (whose 2-day cash winnings total $46,802)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Hi, folks, and welcome to our program. You people watching at home will have noticed by now as Marcus makes his third appearance on our program that he likes to bring extra color to our show. For you, Marcus, I feel every day is Aloha Friday. Amanda and Matt, welcome aboard. Good luck. Here we go. Now the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
PICK A PLANET (3/5)
EMMY-WINNING WOMEN (5/5)
TIME TO SAY GOODBYE (4/5)
COLD PLACES (5/5)
TRANSPORTATION (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ON THE "GO" (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Matt: 10 R, 1 W
Amanda: 11 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W
Marcus: 6 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,200

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Amanda: $2,800
Matt: $2,200
Marcus: $1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Matt Preston is from Alabama, and he has an obsession. And it is with...

Matt: Grape soda, Alex.

Alex: You're wearing a grape-colored shirt.

Matt: Yes, I am.

Alex: Is that significant?

Matt: It's not a coincidence.

Alex: No. Okay.

Matt: I've had over a hundred different types from all across the country.

Alex: Oh, gosh.

Matt: I'm obsessed with it, yeah.

Alex: I didn't even know there were a hundred different types of grape soda.

Matt: There's so many more that I haven't tried that I'd like to try.

Alex: What's the best one you've tried?

Matt: Oh, it's gotta be NuGrape.

Alex: And is that carbonated?

Matt: It is, but it's N-U Grape. So you gotta make sure you spell it right, so you can find it.

Alex: You know, they use grapes to make wine.

Matt: Mm-hm.

Alex: If you're gonna have an obsession--well, never mind. It's okay.

[Laughter]

Alex: Amanda Barlau.

Amanda: Yes.

Alex: Good to have you with us. You're a stay-at-home mom.

Amanda: I am. I am.

Alex: Married to a Lutheran pastor.

Amanda: Yes. My husband, Joe, a Lutheran pastor.

Alex: And you're about to tell me about your children.

Amanda: I have a daughter, Miriam, who just turned two, and a daughter, Naomi, who is ten months old.

Alex: Do they watch the show?

Amanda: Not yet. Not yet.

Alex: Not yet? I get mail from people who tell me that their one-year-old can't get enough of Jeopardy! As soon as the music, the opening theme starts, they rush to the TV set to watch. You want to train your children.

Amanda: We'll have to start.

Alex: Please. Please. We'd like to go for another 34 years.

Alex: Marcus Gresham is our champion. We heard yesterday about some of the good work you do with kids and parents, but your first job was kind of a job also, but where?

Marcus: Underground. I was a cave--a cave guide. Tour guide in a cave.

Alex: Where?

Marcus: It's called Squire Boone Caverns. It's Daniel Boone's brother originally built the mill there, and they blasted a hole in the side of the hill and put a door in it, so you could go through the cave.

Alex: So it's a man-made cave?

Marcus: Well, it's a natural cave. They made an entrance for you to get in. 'Cause you had to go up three--

Alex: How deep is it? How far do you travel into it?

Marcus: I think it's--It's been so long, I don't remember. I think it's about a half-mile through.

Alex: Wow.

Marcus: I think it's longer than that.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Amanda found the Daily Double on the 24th clue. Marcus had $3,600, Amanda had $4,600, and Matt was at $2,200. Amanda wagered $1,000.

TRANSPORTATION $800: Not quite as romantic, public ferries called vaporetti have largely replaced these
(Alex: In Venice.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
PICK A PLANET $200: In ancient Greece it was called Apollo
(Amanda: What is Mars?)

PICK A PLANET $400: It was discovered in 1846
(Matt: What is... Saturn?)
(Amanda: What is Uranus?)

TIME TO SAY GOODBYE $600: In June 2017 "The Fantasticks" had its last show in a theater named for this "Law & Order" star who opened the show in 1960

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Amanda: $7,000
Matt: $4,800
Marcus: $3,600
Last edited by Archivists on Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, November 28, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
KNOTTY BY NATURE (1/5)
LITERATURE (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
ONOMATOPOEIA (4/5)
FRENCH HISTORY (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
TWO-DIMENSIONAL PEOPLE (4/5)
MADE IN THE USA (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Marcus: 9 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Amanda: 6 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Matt: 5 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 10
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $14,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Amanda snagged the next Daily Double on the 24th clue. Marcus had $11,600, Amanda had $11,000, and Matt was at $10,400. Amanda wagered $1,000.

FRENCH HISTORY $1600: Awarded to Germany after the Franco-Prussian War, these paired regions became part of France for good in 1945

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Marcus who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 28th clue. Marcus had $12,400, Amanda had $12,400, and Matt was at $10,400. Marcus wagered $2,000.

LITERATURE $1200: James Dickey is best remembered for this novel about a harrowing canoe trip

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
KNOTTY BY NATURE $400: The roots of a shrub called knotty rhatany were used to color this sweet red wine from the Douro Valley

KNOTTY BY NATURE $800: Knotroot is another name for Chinese this, though it's no relation to the globe or Jerusalem type

KNOTTY BY NATURE $1600: Caused by a fungus, black knot is a disease that occurs in both the Japanese & Damson types of this fruit

KNOTTY BY NATURE $2000: Horticulturist Rudolph turned this blackberry offshoot over to Walter Knott, but it isn't the knottberry

ONOMATOPOEIA $2000: He's the clockwork man of the land of Oz

TWO-DIMENSIONAL PEOPLE $800: Cooper is the last name of this Archie Comics blonde

FRENCH HISTORY $1200: The Jacobites were Scottish; this similar-sounding group were extremists during the French Revolution

FRENCH HISTORY $2000: Founded in 1972 as a neo-fascist party, it's been led for most of its history by the Le Pens, father & daughter

LITERATURE $1600: This Allen Ginsberg poem begins, "I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness"

LITERATURE $2000: Elizabeth Strout won a 2009 Pulitzer Prize for her book of stories, set in coastal Maine, about this title woman

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Marcus: $14,400
Amanda: $12,400
Matt: $10,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
VIDEO GAMES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Evenly spaced scores with two-thirds for first.
Marcus: Wager $10,400--wagering any more risks falling behind Amanda's wager of $8,400.
Amanda: While wagering all $12,400 may be a rational possibility, your more optimal choice is to wager $8,400.
Matt: Wager $10,400.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The desire in his childhood to catch every insect inspired Satoshi Tajiri to create this 1996 game

FINAL SCORES
Matt: $10,400 + $10,399 = $20,799 (What is Pokemon?) (New champion: $20,799)
Amanda: $12,400 - $6,000 = $6,400 (What is Splat?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Marcus: $14,400 - $10,001 = $4,399 (What is Centipede?) (3rd place: $1,000)
(Alex: One of the slogans of this game is "Gotta catch 'em all!")

Total Potential Lach Trash: $15,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Marcus: $13,600, 15 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Amanda: $12,800, 17 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W
Matt: $10,400, 15 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $36,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Amanda: 17/60 = .283
Matt: 16/58 = .276
Marcus: 15/59 = .254
Team: 48/63 = .762

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
PICK A PLANET $600: It rotates on its axis every 24 hours, 37 minutes
(Marcus: What's Venus?)

PICK A PLANET $800: You'll spot its symbol

TRANSPORTATION $400: For 2017, Kawasaki revived the stand-up model of this product, which had given way to tamer sit-down ones

KNOTTY BY NATURE $1200: (Sarah shows a bird on the monitor.) A type of sandpiper, the red knot, makes its nest in the Arctic tundra, migrating 9,300 miles from its winter home at the southern tip of Argentina in this fiery province

TWO-DIMENSIONAL PEOPLE $1600: Marvel has revived this first black superhero in mainstream comics

CORRECT RESPONSES
gondolas
Mercury
Neptune
Jerry Orbach
Alsace and Lorraine
Deliverance
port
artichokes
plums
the boysenberry
Tik-Tok
Betty
the Jacobins
the National Front
"Howl"
Olive Kitteridge
Pokémon
Mars
Jupiter
a jet-ski
Tierra del Fuego
Black Panther
Last edited by Archivists on Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
VIDEO GAMES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The desire in his childhood to catch every insect inspired Satoshi Tajiri to create this 1996 game

Marcus Gresham: 14400-10001=4399
Amanda Barlau: 12400-6000=6400
Matt Preston: 10400+10399=20799 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Pokémon (Marcus – Centipede) (Amanda – Splat)

Daily Doubles
Amanda: 4600+1000
Amanda: 11000+1000
Marcus: 12400+2000

Coryats
Marcus: 13600
Amanda: 12800
Matt: 10400

Combined: 36,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Marcus: 3600
Amanda: 7000
Matt: 4800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Alex’s opening went to what everyone had been noticing and said for Marcus every day is Aloha Friday.

:( for the players not knowing the Baum mechanical man from the illustration or the Law & Order/The Fantasticks gentleman aka Jeopardy! champion.

The FJ! category looked promising and the clue did not disappoint. It does not take long to write seven letters and I was not sure if Marcus was already done when they showed him after the clue reading or if he was stumped.

Amanda looked lost on the clue and I suspected a miss was coming. Splat was an -oon short of being a game on the more recent Nintendo consoles. I wonder if she was going for that or was going for a more generic thing of a character getting run over or falling from a high place?

Marcus went from insect in the clue’s wording and stayed in the bug world with his Centipede guess. He was in position for a third win, another good pay day, and a knock on the TOC’s door. Splat!

Matt caught a break on a FJ! clue that will definitely do better than 33% in the weekly poll and as Marcus & Amanda will find out will also do well on the family, friends and neighbors poll.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The reddit video had some issues and the final clue of the DJ round was cut out. It appears to have been a stand-and-stare, Could someone please post the clue? (With the correct response spoilered).

The year meant I had no chance. Yesterday, I said I learned about certain European regions. Today I learned Pokémon is a video game. I thought they were trading cards.

Sorry to see Marcus go, but glad the Alabama guy won.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:05 pm The reddit video had some issues and the final clue of the DJ round was cut out. It appears to have been a stand-and-stare, Could someone please post the clue? (With the correct response spoilered).
LITERATURE $2000: Elizabeth Strout won a 2009 Pulitzer Prize for her book of stories, set in coastal Maine, about this title woman

Yes, that TS clue concluded the DJ! round.

Correct response:
Spoiler
Olive Kitteridge
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

From the fourth podium I made it a QS.

Thank you.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

49R, instaget FJ & LT: Duro Valley > PORT; TIKTOK of OZ (Loved those books!); Betty Cooper > Archie; Jacobites >> Jacobins; Ginsberg > HOWL. Grats Matt! :D
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

I'm watching the Northwestern-Georgia Tech basketball game. One of Northwestern's players is Charlie Hall, whose mom--a seven-time Emmy winner--came up on this evening's game.

Video games are one of my weakest categories but I remember that Pokemon's tagline was "Catch 'em all!"
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran Cold Places, Made in the USA, and 2 Dimensional. Strangely, I bombed Onomatopoeia.

"Fandango" rang no bells for either meaning.

Once again, I can't keep any of the planets straight. Apollo = Mercury was news to me, and I can NEVER manage to keep Jupiter-Saturn-Uranus-Neptune straight in terms of "which is biggest", "which has rings", etc.

I thought that Knotty category was extremely tough.

Lach Trash: boysenberry, Betty, "Howl"

I missed the last clue of the game due to a recording hiccup. What was it?

I had FJ! correct before Alex was done reading the clue.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:20 pm I missed the last clue of the game due to a recording hiccup. What was it?
I read all of your posts. Read all of mine. ;)

Congrats on getting to 50% for the week on FJ! clues. We're tied.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:20 pm I had FJ! correct before Alex was done reading the clue.
That would've been an all-time low if you hadn't, Dewott. Like me missing a Yankee- or Jets-related FJ.

Just 'catch every insect' -> 'gotta catch em all' would've sufficed, but I even recognized the creator's name. Surprised 2/3 focused on the insect part of the clue.

I'm guessing Marcus' FJ wager was just a math error.

Jacobins a TS when spotted French Revolution and the 'jacobi-'? Howl in the 1600 box was silly....and then it was a TS as well. Maybe the writers are right about the contestants :?
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

In case anyone is wondering, I'll be the only one who missed this on the poll this weekend. I'm sorry for ruining the otherwise 100% get rate.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I said Jacobeans. Am I negged?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Blue Lion wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:17 pm I'm watching the Northwestern-Georgia Tech basketball game. One of Northwestern's players is Charlie Hall, whose mom--a seven-time Emmy winner--came up on this evening's game.
And Matt was wearing purple when he gave the correct response.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

With two hoosiers on the stage, Amanda won the buzzer race on the clue asking for which state Elhkart is in.
I really liked Marcus and hoped he would be able to have a six game stay, but I also warmed up to Amanda pretty quick. She was expedient in selecting clues but weak on wagering.
I can forgive timid DD wagers most of the time, but this FJ wagering scenario demanded better than a generic, even thousand figure. If she covered 3rd place by a buck and Marcus made the standard cover wager from 1st, she could possibly face a tie-breaker with Marcus on a triple stumper, depending on how much Matt wagered. Plus she could lose to Matt if she holds back a buck or two to stay above Marcus and only Marcus gets it wrong.
With that in mind, Matt has a strong case for going all in. So if Amanda had bet 8399 to outlast Marcus, Matt would have still been good for a tie-breaker in the W-R-R scenario.

Neptune was the logical choice after Uranus was illiminated. Other LT; Boysenberry, Betty.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

xxaaaxx wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:28 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:20 pm I had FJ! correct before Alex was done reading the clue.
That would've been an all-time low if you hadn't, Dewott. Like me missing a Yankee- or Jets-related FJ.
TENPOUNDHAMMER used FINAL JEOPARDY!

It's super effective!
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

R: 24 W: 4 costing 3600
FJ! :(
Coryat: 15,400
LT: Neptune, Boysenberry

I did too much guessing at high value clues again. I need to remember to be more cautious as the clues get more expensive. I did well in the J! round again, with 2/3 of my right answers and over half of my coryat there.

All of you young'ns need to remember that us old folk didn't get into your games. FJ! was easy if you played with Pokemon, much harder if you didn't. Take it easy on us. We creak. :) (Wonder if the judges would accept "squeak" instead?) I recall Pokemon as playing cards, not a video game. At least not until Pokemon Go, which is more of a smart phone app than a video game.

I agree with the previous comment that the Knotty category was pretty tough. I mainly got Boysenberry because I grew up fairly close to Knott's Berry Farm and knew the history of the boysenberry.

As already noted, I think Marcus made a math error in his FJ! wager. I came up with 10,401. Amanda was squeezed to an 8400 wager. I wonder if Matt liked the category, causing him to take the chance of an all-in wager. A wager of something less than 6400 could be argued for, hunting for a win on a triple stumper. But if he decides to go all in, he should be aware of Amanda's dilemma and the possibility she'd wager exactly 8400 and not 8401 or 8399. She's kind of stuck on the rounding. She doesn't need to take a dollar off of 8400, since Marcus should wager 10,401. He'd lose by a buck on a logically-wagered TS. She could wager 8401 to protect against Matt going properly all in, but that risks a tie with Marcus if they both neg. Sticking with 8400 makes more sense for Amanda as it keeps her ahead of Marcus on a TS while still tying Matt if he goes all-in and they both are correct. So Matt should have put that last dollar in. It would have been painful to lose by a dollar when saving that dollar does nothing, as neither of the other two players are compelled to wager anything close to it all.
--Peter
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

xxaaaxx wrote:I'm guessing Marcus' FJ wager was just a math error.
Maybe, but he might have realized Amanda was in a spot where she could cover 3rd place and still clinch a tie-breaker on a TS if Matt went all in. He was probably counting on her making the smart wager (8400-8401), thus giving him a $4,000 safety cusion on a triple get. Perhaps the extra dollar was in case Amanda bet an even 12,000.
Last edited by Category 13 on Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:59 pm :( for the players not knowing the Baum mechanical man from the illustration
Yeah, I was definitely wishing for a contestant named Clarice on that one.