Wednesday, November 29, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Wednesday, November 29, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:59 pm
StevenH wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:40 pm I have heard the terms fringe and fringe group, but never with the word lunatic.
I have heard of lunatic fringe, but never would have associated it with a hairstyle.
That.

I just had fringe.
mxc_takeshi
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mxc_takeshi »

38 right.

History (4), TV (3), Spot (2), Numbers (4), Shoe (2), Bildungsroman (3)
Drones (2), Oceania (4), Motown (3), "H" "2" "O" (4), Science/Nature (4), Building (3)

Lach Trash: Deadwood, Emma, Of Human Bondage, Wellington, temple, Hadrian; Daily Double: Abraham Lincoln

I was along the lines of Missy's answer, thinking of just "fringe" or "on the fringe."
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

There have been many clues over the years, even recently, where part of the answer is repeated from the clue, just not the key part of the answer. I stopped at fringe group, didn't even consider it could be wrong - the English call bangs a fringe, fringe could well be how you describe a haircut. Thought negging "fringe element" was far too harsh, then was surprised at the reveal.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

I got Hadrian and Wellington and I'm surprised those were triple stumpers. I missed Doc Marten and said Dr. Scholls. I missed hooligan and said hoodlum. I was waiting for hoodlum to come up the entire category and answered with it even though I've seen "Green Street Hooligans" and know the word.

I said radical fringe and not lunatic fringe. I really don't see lunatic fringe being used to describe extreme groups but I do see radical fringe being used. I wonder if the phrase has been transforming or if I'm simply fooling myself.

Frequent poster goatman has repeatedly recommended The Dictionary of Cultural Literacy as a study tool and I've been reading it. Lunatic fringe is an entry in the idioms section that I've read within the last week and I still missed it. Constant improvement is fine but I think I need to start picking things up a little bit faster since I won't be young forever.

Fun game. I'm always rooting for somebody named Matt.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Those were some tough TV settings. I actually got the Top 3, but NHO the bottom 2.

Couldn't figure out how to get "crusade" in the top box.

I thought the "Blahnik" clue was stupid. I'm supposed to know it entirely from an episode of a TV show?

Ran the Numbers category.

"Hootenanny" was my only miss in H2O.

That Drone category wasn't tough, but I was just brainfarting so hard.

I thought the Motown category was tough. I recognized only $400.

I had "fringe" but couldn't think of anything to add to it. Close but no cigar.

Lach Trash: Deadwood, wampum, Of Human Bondage, Wellington, Hadrian
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

There was just enough in the clue to make me think of fringe, then add lunatic to it, courtesy of the song by Red Rider. I had serious doubts it would be what they were looking for until Alex told Missy she was on the right track. Still surprised me when he revealed the answer. NHO the haircut aspect of that phrase.

Knew the Abe Lincoln DD thanks to one of Indiana's specialty license plates.
Wild guessed Florshiem shoes and went 5/5 in the Motown category.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Another one for just "fringe." So obviously not a phrase, but it's amazing how easy it is to disregard key elements of the clue when you're certain you know the answer!

I was thinking the Stevie Wonder song was called "Ma Cherie Amour" rather than "My..." but it's not.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:42 pm Those were some tough TV settings. I actually got the Top 3, but NHO the bottom 2.
Same here.
davey

Post by davey »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:10 pm Another one for just "fringe." So obviously not a phrase, but it's amazing how easy it is to disregard key elements of the clue when you're certain you know the answer!

I was thinking the Stevie Wonder song was called "Ma Cherie Amour" rather than "My..." but it's not.
I think you would have gotten away with "Ma cherie..." I know I did... ;)
I said "the fringe" to make it a phrase, and I'm having trouble seeing why it shouldn't be accepted. If "lunatic fringe" and "cunning fringe," as in this article
https://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/lunatic-fringe.html
were hairdos, they must have been built on a more average hairstyle just called a fringe, no? ...a hairdo, using a British word for bangs.... No indication of "crazy" in that part of the clue...
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

So disappointing compared to yesterday's show. I also just had "fringe" so this is turning into a bad FJ week for me.
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

Got "fringe" right away but figured it couldn't be that simple, so I tried to think of a multi-word term that included the word. Good enough.

That capital of NZ business as well as "roman guy who had a wall built in britain" had me screaming.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

LT: Deadwood, wampum, Of Human Bondage, Wellington, guanine

Couldn't come up with more than "fringe".
MDaunt
Weighed in the balance and found wanting

Post by MDaunt »

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I try not to speak ill of contestants but Wellington and Hadrian are TSS... really?? It is a harsh comedown from the TOC. Got lunatic fringe straight off, though my wife was one who went with just fringe. It's a phrase that I use somewhat often, especially in the last 18 months or so. PSA: any SF Giants fan should know that erstwhile 3rd base coach Tim Flannery's band is called The Lunatic Fringe :mrgreen:
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

davey wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:38 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 11:10 pm I was thinking the Stevie Wonder song was called "Ma Cherie Amour" rather than "My..." but it's not.
I think you would have gotten away with "Ma cherie..." I know I did... ;)
I remember a contestant saying "ma cherie amour" and getting credit. I just now was able to dig up my post about it.

I never got further than "fringe." I was desperately turning it over in my head to get some words to attach to it and form a phrase, but "group" was all that came out of it, and that was already in the clue and didn't seem like it could be a hairstyle. I guess I was stuck trying to give a phrase where "fringe" was the descriptor rather than the descriptee.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:42 pm I thought the "Blahnik" clue was stupid. I'm supposed to know it entirely from an episode of a TV show?
Yeah, that was just guess an expensive trendy shoe brand. On a DD I would've said Jimmy Choo. Otherwise I'm clamming.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

42R. "Radical Fringe" here. Agree, another 'guessing' FJ. 11 LT: Deadwood, wampum, Florsheim shoes , Chicago 1892, Austen > EMMA (!?Really?!), OF Human Bondage, Papeete, Tahiti, "temple", Hadrian's Wall (Oops- Guess not everyone knows it, contrary to clue verbage! :o ), Wellington, guanine, Pantheon; & gets on MDD: Lincoln horse-kicked, Tagus River. IDK but fair certain of a 4th podium win off trash &tc... 8-)
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

Even a lifetime of listening to Tom Cochrane and Red Rider didn't help me with this FJ.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:28 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:42 pm I thought the "Blahnik" clue was stupid. I'm supposed to know it entirely from an episode of a TV show?
Yeah, that was just guess an expensive trendy shoe brand. On a DD I would've said Jimmy Choo. Otherwise I'm clamming.
Sex and the City and Manolo Blahnik shoes were...a thing, back in the day. I never watched the show but I remember hearing about it. I kinda hate myself for remembering, but I've got too much random TV trivia rattling around in my brain.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

But didn't Horseface talk about other shoemakers? Laboutins & others.