Thursday, November 30, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Ironhorse
Second Banana

Re: Thursday, November 30, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Ironhorse »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:14 pm
Volante wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:45 pm
"Building material? Wood. Tree. Cedar. Lebanon."
"Prized building material" - Not wood, unless you want the big bad wolf to huff and puff and blow your house down. I'll take bricks any day. I couldn't think of a way to have gold or stone as an icon, wondering if these were temple building materials. The clue was above my pay grade anyway, but I did attempt to use this iterative process. It works better when you go backward from the answer. Which is part of the TOM process, but I think the "prized building material" was unhelpful. (disclaimer - I haven't looked up the scripture and just now realized that might be the reason for the pin.)
Lebanese cedars were used to build the Jerusalem Temple that's a major part of the biblical narrative. They were highly sought by traders from various nations.
acthomas
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by acthomas »

I had never heard of the custom of "jump(ing) the broom". On researching it, I have learned that for this and many other reasons, I should get around to watching Roots.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

acthomas wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:26 pm I had never heard of the custom of "jump(ing) the broom". On researching it, I have learned that for this and many other reasons, I should get around to watching Roots.
I still remember watching Roots when it was originally broadcast. I highly recommend it.
--Peter
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who thought FJ was describing a flag with two things in the central image. Eventually I just went, "There's a tree on Lebanon's flag, isn't there? Maybe there's something else, too. Whatever, it's better than nothing."

This is one of those games that makes me wish I tracked my LT.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I got this FJ wrong by naming the only country I could think of that had a material in its name, albeit not what you'd call a building material: Côte d'Ivoire.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

econgator wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:24 pm
Bamaman wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:10 pm
econgator wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:04 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:00 pm Matt faced a double BMS by Alex with MLB & Major League Baseball to get the right league for the baseball team on his way to running the opening category.
Why did that one require such specificity? In most of the others, just the sport was fine.
I am guessing it is because MLB is subdivided into leagues, which were once much more independent than they are now.
Maybe, but they are in baseball's Major League as opposed to the Minor League. That should have been more than enough.
I agree it was a bad BMS, but I do find the title "Major League Baseball" rather arrogant. They're a baseball league, they aren't baseball.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

DBear wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:45 pm
goforthetie wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:38 pm Precalled FJ; in fact, I would have laid heavy, heavy odds that Lebanon would be involved in the clue, and would have been sorely tempted to go all in even from a lock.
darn, I thought I would be the only one. Elijah Baley, you should know that Lebanon has a cedar tree on the flag and that cedars are mentioned in the Bible. Easy precall.
Based on the comments, I guess I overthought this. Although I'll still point out that the Kings verse does, in fact, talk about stones for the foundation and stones are a finer (i.e., better) building material than wood - just ask those three little pigs.
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

I guess I will be one of the few to defend "National League" as the correct and proper answer. Everyone agrees that "Pac 12" was the correct response for the Stanford Cardinal, not "NCAA" or "NCAA Division I" or (if we mean the football team only) "NCAA Bowl Subdivision." Granted, it is not a perfectly analogous situation since the clue specified a conference, which none of those other things is, but I think it is roughly comparable. MLB or NCAA is the overarching authority; National League or Pacific 12 is the league.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

So, another Stand-and-stare category of New England this game. *sigh* Instaget FJ for me. Building material in the Bible? Flag? Lebanon it is.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I'm another one who thought they were talking about two different objects. I was sure it wasn't hammer and sickle, but then I got nowhere after that thinking of two objects on a flag. Easy in retrospect, but I wasn't getting there the way it was worded.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:59 am I'm another one who thought they were talking about two different objects. I was sure it wasn't hammer and sickle, but then I got nowhere after that thinking of two objects on a flag. Easy in retrospect, but I wasn't getting there the way it was worded.
Re-reading the clue, I can see how people took it that way. The central image is a combination of 1) this symbol of strength, and 2) this prized building material. Hammer and sickle is at once obviously not quite right and tantalizingly close.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

The NHL, NBA, and NFL award one MVP for the entire league.

MLB does not award a singular MVP award. You have American League and National League MVPs.

That in of itself should be enough to say that the leagues are separate enough entities so as to warrant a BMS.
Andy Saunders
Moderator, #JeopardyLivePanel
Host, Complete The List
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I recently took the Sporcle quiz on modern day countries mentioned in the Bible, and it turns out there aren't that many.

https://www.sporcle.com/games/LTH/bible_countries
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Elijah Baley wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:53 pm The FJ clues are getting worse by the day. Are they really thinking that someone would be that familiar with the cited verses, or were they thinking that someone might know every single flag so well - or just that you might guess a country close to Biblical locations??

Because I got hung up on Kings, guessing that the material referenced was stone for the foundation of Solomon's Temple and then was completely lost on what flag might have stone depicted in some form or fashion. :oops:
Not sure what your problem is with this clue. As is the case many times, you don't need to know the verses at all, or really anything about the Bible at all, except, "in what part of the world did the events of the Bible take place?" Then "What country in that area has a flag with an image on it of something that might be used as a building material?"

Relatively few flags have such images, as opposed to stripes, colors, etc. What jumps out immediately is Lebanon, famous (even outside of the Bible) for the "Cedars of Lebanon." cedar = tree = building material. bang. done. Even if your confidence level isn't high, that certainly seems like a reasonable guess.

I agree with another boardie who expressed surprise that this was not a triple-get.
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:07 am The NHL, NBA, and NFL award one MVP for the entire league.

MLB does not award a singular MVP award. You have American League and National League MVPs.

That in of itself should be enough to say that the leagues are separate enough entities so as to warrant a BMS.
I think that's a strange, arbitrary standard. Same goes for the DH rule.

AL and NL teams play against each other, and those games count the same way as when the AL plays the AL and when the NL plays the NL. Players are traded freely between the AL and NL. They play for the same championship award. "MLB" alone should have been plenty.
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

mikebdoss wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:18 am I think that's a strange, arbitrary standard. Same goes for the DH rule.

AL and NL teams play against each other, and those games count the same way as when the AL plays the AL and when the NL plays the NL. Players are traded freely between the AL and NL. They play for the same championship award. "MLB" alone should have been plenty.
But when those teams play against each other, it is referred to as "inter-league" play.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Stanislaus Jacob wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:45 am I guess I will be one of the few to defend "National League" as the correct and proper answer. Everyone agrees that "Pac 12" was the correct response for the Stanford Cardinal, not "NCAA" or "NCAA Division I" or (if we mean the football team only) "NCAA Bowl Subdivision." Granted, it is not a perfectly analogous situation since the clue specified a conference, which none of those other things is, but I think it is roughly comparable. MLB or NCAA is the overarching authority; National League or Pacific 12 is the league.
Yes, but essentially the clue was asking what league the St. Louis Cardinals are in. Certainly the National League is correct, but how is Major League Baseball wrong? Would it have been right if the MLB called itself "The Major Baseball League" instead?
sillymonkey
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by sillymonkey »

So for Final, almost nobody else seems to have been stranded by focusing on the New Testament line: "The stone which the builders rejected has become the cornerstone."? Stranded, because it doesn't lead to a flag, and stranded I was.
Peter the accountant

sillymonkey wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:13 pm So for Final, almost nobody else seems to have been stranded by focusing on the New Testament line: "The stone which the builders rejected has become the cornerstone."? Stranded, because it doesn't lead to a flag, and stranded I was.
Nope. The references in the clue (1 Kings and Psalms) are both Old Testament. But I'm not without sin and won't cast stones. I know how easy it is to start off on the wrong track and never make it back.
--Peter
Peter the accountant

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:14 pm "Prized building material" - Not wood, unless you want the big bad wolf to huff and puff and blow your house down. I'll take bricks any day. I couldn't think of a way to have gold or stone as an icon, wondering if these were temple building materials. The clue was above my pay grade anyway, but I did attempt to use this iterative process. It works better when you go backward from the answer. Which is part of the TOM process, but I think the "prized building material" was unhelpful. (disclaimer - I haven't looked up the scripture and just now realized that might be the reason for the pin.)
Keep in mind that "prized" is not the same as "structurally critical". Take a look around a modern house. What are the prized building materials? How abut the hardwood floors? Maybe the granite countertops? The stained wood kitchen cabinets? The marble tile in the bathroom? I'd argue that any of these could be "prized" building materials, yet none of them are important to the structure.
--Peter