Thursday, November 30, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, November 30, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7644, 2017-11-30

CONTESTANTS
Lisa Kristina, a freelance musician from Chicago Heights, Illinois
Lily Gebrenegus, an accounting manager from Seattle, Washington
Matt Preston, an assets protection leader from Harvest, Alabama (whose 2-day cash winnings total $25,998)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. We are so delighted that you folks decided to spend this half-hour with us. We've got a good champion, although he struggled a bit yesterday. Didn't win too much money, but that 2-day total is impressive. Lily and Lisa--welcome aboard, ladies, and good luck. Here we go. Now let's find out what the categories are...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
BABY, YOU'RE A RICH MAN (3/3)
HISTORICAL FICTION (2/5)
NEW ENGLAND (2/5)
SOME CHOICE WORDS (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
IN THEIR LEAGUE (5/5) (Alex: We want you to name the league the franchise currently plays in...)
"C" IN COOKING (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Matt: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Lisa: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Lily: 3 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 8
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Lisa found the Daily Double on the 15th clue. Matt had $3,000, Lily had $600, and Lisa was at $1,600. Lisa made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,600.

SOME CHOICE WORDS $1000: What a parent does to a better-loved child, or what a person limping is doing to the bad leg
(Alex: Hurry.)
(Lisa: Oh...)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Matt: $3,000
Lily: $600
Lisa: $0

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Lisa Kristina is from the Chicago area in Illinois. And you did something that people here in southern California are reluctant to do right now because of the lasting drought. You tore up your entire backyard and what did you put in?

Lisa: Well, I put up a garden with a path. There's a little waterfall, there are fairy gardens, a bridge. And the nice thing about it is that it's completely hidden behind my garage, so you don't know that it's there from the street. So I call it my secret garden.

Alex: Your secret garden. How lovely. Good for you.

Alex: Lily Gebrenegus. Did I get it right?

Lily: You did.

Alex: From Seattle, Washington. What's this about the competition you and your boyfriend have with another couple?

Lily: We have, uh, best friends, two other couples that we've known for a long time. And when we travel together, we've kind of gotten this competition about who will pay for dinner.

Alex: Is the object to avoid paying for dinner or to be the one who does pay for dinner?

Lily: To be the one who does pay for dinner in a way that's the sneakiest and most surprising way possible.

Alex: I wanna go to dinner with you.

[Laughter]

Lily: Me too.

Alex: Matt Preston. He's our champ. Jeopardy! champions demonstrate knowledge in many areas. What inspired you to learn about many different areas?

Matt: Well, when I was growing up, my grandfather had a very large collection of National Geographic magazines. He would get a copy ever--all the way back to the '60s. He had every single edition. So if I was over there visiting them, I'd pull one out and look at it time to time. Kind of got me wanting to learn about the world and everything.

Alex: Good for you. Good for you.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
"C" IN COOKING $1000: Copra is the dried meat of this

SOME CHOICE WORDS $800: 12-letter adjective for excellent "treatment"

HISTORICAL FICTION $200: This 1936 novel was inspired by an aunt's scrapbook of the Civil War & its aftermath

HISTORICAL FICTION $600: This Philipp Meyer novel about the Texas frontier came to AMC with Pierce Brosnan as the powerful Eli McCullough

HISTORICAL FICTION $800: "Flight of the Sparrow" recounts the real tale of a Puritan woman from this colony captured by Indians in 1676
(Matt: What is Jamestown?)

NEW ENGLAND $400: Until the 1600s this tribe lived & fished on the bay that bears their name with no idea they were in Rhode Island

NEW ENGLAND $600: In 2003, after years of erosion, this state's iconic Old Man of the Mountain crumbled to the ground
(Alex: And we have less than a minute to go now.)

NEW ENGLAND $1000: This English explorer & captain gave New England its name after exploring the region in the 1600s

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Matt: $3,400
Lisa: $2,800
Lily: $1,000
Last edited by Archivists on Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, November 30, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
JOHNNY GILBERT, TOUGH GUY (3/5) (Alex: You have to identify the movie Johnny is quoting.)
CEREMONIES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE HUMAN BODY (3/5)
"K"9 (5/5)
MOZART (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
IN THE JUNGLE (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Lisa: 11 R (including 1 rebound and 2 DDs), 0 W
Matt: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W
Lily: 7 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $7,200

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Lisa snagged the next Daily Double on the 11th clue. Matt had $4,200, Lily had $1,800, and Lisa was at $6,000. Lisa wagered $2,000.

MOZART $1600: Count Almaviva invites everyone to a wedding banquet at the end of Act III of this comic opera

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Lisa who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 29th clue. Matt had $7,800, Lily had $3,000, and Lisa was at $14,400. Lisa wagered $1,400.

CEREMONIES $1600: In an African-American wedding tradition, the bride & groom do this to symbolically sweep away the past

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
JOHNNY GILBERT, TOUGH GUY $800: "I drink your milkshake! I drink it up!"

JOHNNY GILBERT, TOUGH GUY $1600: "Crush your enemies, see them driven before you & hear the lamentation of their women!"
(Lily: What is 300?)

THE HUMAN BODY $800: The heart comes in its own pouch--this membranous sac

THE HUMAN BODY $2000: T cells, part of the immune system, are so named for being derived from this gland
(Matt: What is the thyroid?)
(Lily: What is the thalamus?)

IN THE JUNGLE $2000: Hawaii's forests have many types of these, including the apapane & the honeycreeper
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Lisa: $15,800 (lock game)
Matt: $7,800
Lily: $5,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD FLAGS & THE BIBLE

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; crush for second place.
Lisa: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $199 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Matt: Wager $2,201 to cover Lily.
Lily: You have the hope of surpassing Matt for second place if you come up with the correct response or if your opponent fails to. Bet between $600 and $4,998.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The central image on the flag of this nation is a symbol of strength in Psalm 92 & a prized building material in I Kings 5

FINAL SCORES
Lily: $5,000 - $0 = $5,000 (What is steel?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Matt: $7,800 - $2,201 = $5,599 (What is Ethiopia?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Lisa: $15,800 + $100 = $15,900 (What is Lebanon?) (New champion: $15,900)
(Alex: [To Lisa] You were thinking of the cedars of [*]?)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $12,600

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Lisa: $17,200, 18 R (including 2 DDs), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Matt: $7,800, 16 R, 4 W
Lily: $5,000, 10 R, 4 W
Combined Coryat: $30,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Lisa: 19/61 = .311
Matt: 16/58 = .276
Lily: 10/58 = .172
Team: 45/63 = .714

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
IN THEIR LEAGUE $400: The St. Louis Cardinals
(Lily: What is the NBA?)
(Matt: What is the MLB?)
(Alex: MLB? Be more specific.)
(Matt: Major League Baseball.)
(Alex: Be more specific.)

IN THEIR LEAGUE $1000: The Minnesota Lynx
[Applause for Matt running the category]

"C" IN COOKING $800: Plural name of the versatile feta product seen here

SOME CHOICE WORDS $600: A court or boxing judgment
(Matt: What is a ruling?)

BABY, YOU'RE A RICH MAN $200: When this giant of retail died in 1992, his heirs split up more than $20 billion

BABY, YOU'RE A RICH MAN $800: After his 1906 death, the Chicago Board of Trade shut down to remember this merchant

JOHNNY GILBERT, TOUGH GUY $400: "Let's talk about something important. Put that coffee down! Coffee's for closers only"

JOHNNY GILBERT, TOUGH GUY $1200: "In this country... when you get the money, you get the power. Then when you get the power, then you get the women"

JOHNNY GILBERT, TOUGH GUY $2000: "What I do have are a very particular set of skills... skills that make me a nightmare for people like you"

MOZART $400: The joyful quality of this serenade makes it a favorite

MOZART $800: Mozart was born in this city in 1756; his birthplace has been a museum there since 1880
(Matt: Where is Vienna?)

MOZART $1200: Mozart wrote 41 symphonies, just 2 in this type of key that tends to connote sadness & seriousness

MOZART $2000: This scholar put together the most complete catalog of Mozart's work in chronological order, the source of the K. numbers

THE HUMAN BODY $1200: (Kelly of the Clue Crew shows an illustration of the upper airway.)Tissue like the soft palate in the upper airway can collapse during sleep, causing snoring as well as this disorder, from the Greek for "without breath"

IN THE JUNGLE $1200: A rainforest recently explored in this 4th-most populous country revealed new & unknown species of kangaroos
(Lily: What is Australia?)

IN THE JUNGLE $1600: We've high hopes for the ficus elastica, this jungle tree, whose latex was once a valuable commodity

CORRECT RESPONSES
favoring
coconut
preferential
Gone With the Wind
The Son
the Massachusetts Bay Colony
the Narragansett
New Hampshire
Captain John Smith
The Marriage of Figaro
jump the broom
There Will Be Blood
Conan the Barbarian
the pericardium
the thymus gland
birds
Lebanon
the National League
the WNBA
crumbles
a decision
Sam Walton
Marshall Field
Glengarry Glen Ross
Scarface
Taken
"A Little Night Music"
Salzburg
a minor key
Köchel
apnea
Indonesia
a rubber tree
Last edited by Archivists on Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD FLAGS & THE BIBLE

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The central image on the flag of this nation is a symbol of strength in Psalm 92 & a prized building material in I Kings 5

Matt Preston: 7800-2201=5599
Lily Gebrenegus: 5000-0=5000
Lisa Kristina: 15800+100=15900 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Lebanon (Matt – Ethiopia) (Lily – steel)

Daily Doubles
Lisa: 1600-1600
Lisa: 6000+2000
Lisa: 14400+1400 (Matt 7800 with $2000 clue left)

Coryats
Matt: 7800
Lily: 5000
Lisa: 17200

Combined: 30,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Matt: 3400
Lily: 1000
Lisa: 2800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Matt faced a double BMS by Alex with MLB & Major League Baseball to get the right league for the baseball team on his way to running the opening category. $3000 was a great start for Matt. His $3,400 at the end of the J! round was not as great.

In the case of to BMS or not to BMS Alex was fine with just Rockefeller and he provided the John D.

Any significance to Lily’s pin? Image

The stage stumper of the day was in HISTORICAL FICTION $200: This 1936 novel was inspired by an aunt’s scrapbook of the civil war & its aftermath

I have to believe one of the players gets this from the comfort of the couch at home.

The $600 clue: This Philipp Meyer novel about the Texas frontier came to AMC with Pierce Brosnan as the powerful Eli McCullough

This one I got at home while barely recalling the title in time even though I watched the show and I can imagine not being so fortunate on the stage.

WORLD FLAGS & THE BIBLE wagers
Matt: 2201
Lily: 0
Lisa: 100

DHKendall: Scoreboard + wallet + home + kids college fund + wife’s wedding ring +…

I would not have as much confidence to do anything crazy even though my one precall off the category turned out to be correct.

Matt could have put more money on Lisa’s total if he had found DD3. His picks in the last category were $800 and $1200 and in this case it was in the $1600 slot where Lisa found it.

Lisa’s total is $15,900 so that means I will in jest root against her tomorrow as any time someone is a little shy of my winning total I like to be petty and avoid dropping a spot on the all-time winnings list even with thousands of champs ahead of us.

Lisa did not get the applause for running MOZART as I’m guessing the rebound correct response and later the Daily Double affected the flow of the feat.

Lisa set off my please-ometer, so she must have been a little heavy on the manners in clue selection.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Made sense once saw the answer, but no clue here. I guessed Egypt just to say something, but I think they only have an eagle on their flag.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

The FJ clues are getting worse by the day. Are they really thinking that someone would be that familiar with the cited verses, or were they thinking that someone might know every single flag so well - or just that you might guess a country close to Biblical locations??

Because I got hung up on Kings, guessing that the material referenced was stone for the foundation of Solomon's Temple and then was completely lost on what flag might have stone depicted in some form or fashion. :oops:
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I was hoping Matt could keep it going but both ladies were fun to watch so it was fine foe me no matter how it turned out. As always, glad to see the oldest player win (gives me faint hope) and was glad she was able to rebound from the early wipeout. Like her, I could not pull out what was a headslapper upon reveal.

I was stumped on FJ for a bit but got it right. I was far from certain, but they have a tree on their flag so it made sense.

Isn't this the third time in recent days we've had a DD in the next to last clue of the game?

I also missed GWTW.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:13 pm
Isn't this the third time in recent days we've had a DD in the next to last clue of the game?
DD3 this week has been:
30th
28th
29th
29th

which is probably a 4-day record to start a week.
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

Precalled FJ; in fact, I would have laid heavy, heavy odds that Lebanon would be involved in the clue, and would have been sorely tempted to go all in even from a lock.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

goforthetie wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:38 pm Precalled FJ; in fact, I would have laid heavy, heavy odds that Lebanon would be involved in the clue, and would have been sorely tempted to go all in even from a lock.
you're not dhkendall, though
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Congrats to Lisa for handling the ups and downs of the game with great aplomb. Small world: years ago she and my husband played opposite each other in The Yeomen of the Guard, and I missed running into her in Culver City by one lousy day. Lisa, if you happen to read this, great game, and Henry says Hi! We were screaming "Do it! Do it!" when you hit the Mozart DD, but I guess one TDD per game is enough. Well done!
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I hope they were prepared to accept "What is best in life?" on JOHNNY GILBERT, TOUGH GUY for $1600. :D
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I guessed Turkey, but I think that it was a fine clue since it pointed you to the right part of the world.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:00 pm Matt faced a double BMS by Alex with MLB & Major League Baseball to get the right league for the baseball team on his way to running the opening category.
Why did that one require such specificity? In most of the others, just the sport was fine.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

econgator wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:04 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:00 pm Matt faced a double BMS by Alex with MLB & Major League Baseball to get the right league for the baseball team on his way to running the opening category.
Why did that one require such specificity? In most of the others, just the sport was fine.
I am guessing it is because MLB is subdivided into leagues, which were once much more independent than they are now.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:10 pm
econgator wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:04 pm
I am guessing it is because MLB is subdivided into leagues, which were once much more independent than they are now.
Maybe, but they are in baseball's Major League as opposed to the Minor League. That should have been more than enough.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I was worried about the strength of the players after a few stand and stares during the movie quotes categories, but Lisa was quite strong.

I remembered some vague notion from either this board or LL that Lebanon was associated with a certain type of tree, so I got this one.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Yeah I don't get that BMS either. They're not independent leagues anymore; it's not like you required them to add NFC for the Arizona Cardinals.

1936 novel, Civil War...*crickets*
Rhode Island bay...*crickets*
One of my favorite movie quotes from Conan, and that overused milkshake quote...*crickets*

I could forgive all of that and the other TSes...but then down 7 grand, LTaM, DD still on the board, and the champ takes the clues top to bottom. That was my true "screaming at the TV" moment of the day. At least he missed FJ so it didn't matter.

For FJ, I took the wrong approach first, of course, thinking of every flag with an image in the middle (Mexico? Brazil? Vatican?) before the lgihtbulb came on about 25 seconds in: building material -> wood -> tree -> Lebanon. Whew.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

Interesting game to watch. One of the more fun games since the TOC. The players seemed to actually show some personality.

R: 21, W: 4, costing a whopping 5400. Two negs at the 2000 level really hurt.
FJ: :mrgreen:
Coryat: 11,400
LT: Gone with the Wind, (favor).

I think my slightly lucky guess on a lit question early on made me too bold the rest of the game, guessing on things I should have clammed. I fell for the neg baits of Thyroid and Australia. (Really, Peter? Australia, the 4th most populous country? You know better than that!) I did manage to run Ceremonies, but didn't come up with any of the movies, even though some of the quotes sounded familiar.

I try to play along a bit, not counting an answer as right if I don't beat a player. So Matt's run of the sports leagues was a bit frustrating. I knew all but one, but I needed those couple of seconds you get when ringing in to pull them out of the grey matter. Aside from that, it was an impressive run (and I claimed only one right answer because of his speed, going straight to National League without having to go through the two BMSs).

I had a pre-call of Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Slayer for the Historical Fiction category. Apparently my tastes are a bit strange. Then again, honest Abe was on the board yesterday, so it would be very unusual to see him two days in a row.

FJ! was a true instaget for me. Finally. Knew the answer and knew it was right. I would have been standing there grinning like the Cheshire cat after reading that clue. The Cedars of Lebanon were used by Solomon in the building of the First Temple. Got that from learning the Bible. That a cedar appears on Lebanon's current flag is a tidbit that I learned long ago and stuck - probably because of the Bible connection.

Interesting that Alex didn't mention Lisa's runaway today. Perhaps he was a bit slow on the math, or perhaps he didn't want to tip off the players in case Matt or Lisa didn't get the math right.

Matt appeared to be wagering to remain in 2nd place as long as he and Lily matched results (right or wrong). May as well, since he couldn't win without a serious misstep by Lisa. Lisa's wager was right on. She could have risked an additional 99, but I consider rounding to the nearest 100 the same as going to the exact dollar.

This was definitely Lisa's game - strong from start to finish. Well done.
--Peter
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

I can only wish for categories about sports and New England if I ever get the chance..... of course that was nullified by skunks in the food and movie categories, but so it goes. :D

Generally pretty weak in Bible categories, but I burned pictures of world flags into my head in elementary and middle school (though probably not as much as dhkendall). Sure enough Lebanon was on my page very quickly. No problems here to get back to .500 this week.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host