Friday, December 1, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Vowela
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, December 1, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Vowela »

Oh, it's the colossal part that was named for Nero. Not the Flavian part. Guess they had a sense of humor back then. Not knowing the Colosseum's other name would've made the clue easier. Might've still gotten it wrong, I don't know, but at least I'd have been looking in the right direction for the answer.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

On my Jeopardy! calendar, which gives me one J! clue per day, and is the first, or, um, second thing I do each day upon rising:

Wed. November 22:

Category: Landmarks

This amphitheater was built on the grounds of what was Nero's golden house.

What is the colosseum (or Flavian Amphitheater)?

I don't know whether I would have answered this FJ correctly or not without this in my recent memory. Ya learns stuff from all kinds of places, and many times I get clues right on the show from stuff I've learned on the calendar, from contestant quizzes, from J! books, etc. I'll take it.

Tal played well overall. Too bad about the miss and loss. Melissa just seemed out of her element. The champ put it all together; congrats for a nice second win.
clt013
J! and SJ! Pool Participant

Post by clt013 »

John Boy wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:32 am On my Jeopardy! calendar, which gives me one J! clue per day, and is the first, or, um, second thing I do each day upon rising:

Wed. November 22:

Category: Landmarks

This amphitheater was built on the grounds of what was Nero's golden house.

What is the colosseum (or Flavian Amphitheater)?

I don't know whether I would have answered this FJ correctly or not without this in my recent memory. Ya learns stuff from all kinds of places, and many times I get clues right on the show from stuff I've learned on the calendar, from contestant quizzes, from J! books, etc. I'll take it.
The J! calendar (which is on my desk at work and sometimes serves as a "water cooler" of sorts as we discuss clues) definitely helped me get FJ.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Another good player beaten by poor strategy. Great game by Tal and Lisa.
Whatever Lisa talked about in her interview is impressive.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
Golf

Post by Golf »

MattKnowles wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:47 pm I would have wagered differently than Tal at that last daily double. The scores were 22,000/15,200/3,800 or something close to it and he opted to wager 2,000 only. I'd recommend wagering about 9,000 or 10,000. He bet 2,000 to maintain his lead no matter what but that doesn't maximize his chance to win. If he bets 10,000 and gets the clue right then he wins no matter what. If he bets 10,000 and gets the clue wrong then he is in a close second place and should win if Lisa misses FJ.

With a bet of 2,000 he has a crush game if he gets it right and he only loses if FJ is a miss by Tal and a hit by Lisa, if he gets the DD wrong then he is in a 2/3 scenario and he should win if he gets it right and should lose otherwise.

If all the contestants have the success rates of average Jeopardy! contestants then they get daily doubles right 60% of the time and FJ right 50% of the time. If Tal bets 10,000 his odds of winning the game is 80%. If he bets only 2,000 his odds of winning the game is only 65%. (0.6*1.0+0.4*0.5 = 0.8, 0.6*0.75+0.4*0.5 = 0.65)
His last DD wager was certainly sub-optimal for reasons you suggest. But had his first two DD wagers been optimal he wouldn't have been in that position in the first place. The first round DD was just begging for a TDD and that changes everything. Then early in the DJ round if he's even remotely optimal on the second DD, when he hits the last DD the game is already a lock.

As already stated, he was the better player by far and lost because of lack of strategy.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Thought of Flavius at first, reread the clue and went by the date, got to Nero. 5/5.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

As a public service, let me report here that there never was a Roman emperor named "Flavian". Flavius was the family name of the mini-dynasty that followed the post-Nero turmoil, but at best it would draw a BMS if the clue wanted Vespasian, Titus, or Domitian (and the latter two names are far more useful as Think Different possibilities).
I'm smart and I want respect.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

The date got me to Nero pretty quickly.
cmac24
Contributor

Post by cmac24 »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:18 pm Rome’s Colosseum may have gotten its name because of a colossal circa 65 A.D. statue of this emperor erected nearby

What?????

When Alex said "it helps to know your Roman Emperors", I was hosed. The clunky syntax of the clue made me consider the Colussus at Rhodes as an option, not really knowing the end of the timeline for the 7 Ancient Wonders. No excuse, I know Rhodes is a place name, but the idea of naming a giant amphitheater the "bigly theater" just because there was a bigly statue didn't seem sensible. Why not the "pigeon poop" theater?

If I'd parsed the sentence and taken the 65% confidence interpretation, at least I'd have taken a shot at a Roman Emperor in the year "about" 65 AD. I might have whiffed on Nero since he hasn't been in my space lately, but at least I could have been a contenda'.
I started with the colossus of rhodes but halfway through I saw they wanted an emperor and got Nero.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Lefty wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:33 pm As a public service, let me report here that there never was a Roman emperor named "Flavian". Flavius was the family name of the mini-dynasty that followed the post-Nero turmoil, but at best it would draw a BMS if the clue wanted Vespasian, Titus, or Domitian (and the latter two names are far more useful as Think Different possibilities).
Indeed. The Year of Four Emperors followed Nero's Praetorian 'assisted' suicide in June '68 and Vespasian's accession in July '69.
Knowing the four pretenders would be the most picayune minor trivia but I could easily pre-call a TOC-level clue like;
"This Year of __ __" was notable for Galba, Otho, Vitellus and Vespasian duking it out over control of the Roman Legions."

Each lasted ~3 months until the Flavians!

Feeling pretty ancient ATM, LOL, FGS! :P
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
davey

Post by davey »

Jasper wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:09 pm Re "Thrillers & Mysteries ($200.00): The Woman in Cabin 10", the correct response should have been: What is a yacht?

Neither ocean liner nor cruise ship should have been acceptable responses.

Jasper
I haven't read the book, but looking at a book preview, the text says,
"The Aurora was so small - more like a large yacht than a small cruise liner..."
That suggests that it's neither of those things with aspects of both. It evidently looks more like the former but functions as the latter. I'm not surprised that J! called it a cruise ship or that they decided to accept Tal's use of the word liner.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

Finally got around to watching the Friday game.

R: 20, W: 3, costing 1800
FJ: :(
Coryat: 11,200

Once again, I had a good board and a bad board. Unfortunately, the good board was the J! round. Only answered 6 clues in the DJ round.

For some reason, I had Nero pegged as a 2nd or 3rd century emperor, so dismissed him quickly. Ended up picking Alexander the Great, knowing full well that he wasn't Roman, but was the best guess I could come up with.

If there's anything to be learned from watching the recent TOC and some of the runs that got folks into the TOC, it's that wagering more aggressively on DDs is an important edge to winning. The DD in the J! round should almost always be all-in (perhaps with a max of $5k or $6k if you've got more than that). There's plenty of time and dollars available in the DJ! round to make up a miss this early.

DD wagering in the DJ! round is trickier, but should normally be fairly aggressive. Tal found all three DDs and got 2/3 right, yet didn't have a lock game. That's partly due to his timid wagering, and partly a tribute to Lisa's tenacity.

Not much to talk about on FJ wagering this game. It all seemed by the book to me. Lisa would risk no more than 5600 to stay ahead of Tal if both were wrong. Tal wagered to make sure he won if both were right. And in spite of Alex's comments to the contrary, Melissa is a factor only in a Clavin situation. Neither Tal nor Lisa should be risking enough to get below Lisa's doubled score.
--Peter
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

Coryat - $17,000 :oops:

25 right, 6 wrong.

DD: 0/3 :oops:

FJ: :oops:

Tough one for me.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I thought the top boxes were unnaturally steep today:

"Burrow" was tough to pin at $200 IMO. I said "hole" and figured it'd be BMS.

"Cruise ship" was extremely tough for $200 as well. Saw no way to figure that one out at all.

"Squeal" was also tricky at $200. I couldn't get "oink" out of my head even after it was negged.

Also saw no way to figure out "Washington Monument" at $200.

"Resistance" is a form of exercise?!

Also saw no way to figure out Spain, Common Cold, Philippines, or explosive in the top box. Explain?

How does "land office" fit the category?

No guess on FJ!
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:48 pm "Resistance" is a form of exercise?!
Compare exercise which is aerobic (walking, running, cycling etc, in which your heart-rate increases), with exercise which involves exercising your muscles using an opposing force - ie resistance. Examples of resistance training or exercise include using resistance bands, lifting weights, press-ups, squats, leg raises and many more.
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:48 pm Also saw no way to figure out "Washington Monument" at $200.
A structure with a cornerstone will be more a building than a monument. And I knew that the Washington Memorial was built much later than Washington died. So, Hamilton's widow still being there puts the time about right and suggests something related to the Founding Fathers (the White House would already have been built, and what other building might it be?).
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:48 pm Also saw no way to figure out Spain, Common Cold, Philippines, or explosive in the top box. Explain?
I know Semtex is an explosive. I only know this through references in TV and movies and stuff, if they don't want to use C4 in the plot. I think C4 is more industrial and Semtex is more military grade?

Rhinoviruses cause colds. If you don't know that, but know that colds are viral (rather than bacterial), then you might be able to piece it together as a disease that is referred to as "common."

Granada was, I believe, the last Moorish stronghold in Spain.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

tiwonge wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:28 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:48 pm Also saw no way to figure out "Washington Monument" at $200.
A structure with a cornerstone will be more a building than a monument.
Wouldn't that lead AWAY from Washington Monument rather than toward it?
tiwonge wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:28 amAnd I knew that the Washington Memorial was built much later than Washington died. So, Hamilton's widow still being there puts the time about right and suggests something related to the Founding Fathers (the White House would already have been built, and what other building might it be?).
The Treasury.
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

It's a building, at least in that you can go into it (and even travel to the top of it). Also, one of the stories of the building of the Washington Monument that I am familiar with is that every state donated blocks of marble and granite for it. While that's not the same thing as a cornerstone, it does, at least to me, bring to mind a construction built by lots of stone blocks.

Although I guess Hamilton's widow might suggest the Treasury. That hadn't occurred to me.