FJs for the 11/27/17 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 11/27/17 week?

Poll ended at Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:51 pm

Of Germany's 16 states, these 2 at opposite ends of the country begin with the same letter & are the largest & smallest
23%
The desire in his childhood to catch every insect inspired Satoshi Tajiri to create this 1996 game
73%
In the 1870s this phrase meant a hairdo, using a British word for bangs; now it's an extreme group on the edge of a cause
16%
The central image on the flag of this nation is a symbol of strength in Psalm 92 & a prized building material in I Kings 5
67%
Rome’s Colosseum may have gotten its name because of a colossal circa 65 A.D. statue of this emperor erected nearby
66%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
No votes
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJ! clues.
2%
KEEP IT DOWN $400: On "Seinfeld" Jerry is compelled to wear one of these after an encounter with a "low talker"
46%
LITERATURE $1600: This Allen Ginsberg poem begins, "I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness"
76%
BUILDING, ROMAN $1600: Victor Emmanuel II & Raphael are at rest in this Roman structure; Paris has its own
31%
I did not solve the "Seinfeld" puffy shirt clue even though I have seen that episode more than once.
12%
I got Bavaria, but not Bremen for the Monday FJ! clue.
66%
I got Bremen, but not Bavaria for the Monday FJ! clue.
No votes
The map of Germany shown for the Monday FJ! clue aided me in correctly solving the clue.
16%
Whether video game, app, or cards etc. I have played some version of "Pokémon."
32%
The word "fringe" was part of my incorrect response for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
73%

Total votes: 128

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJs for the 11/27/17 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

11/27 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
GERMAN GEOGRAPHY

11/27 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Of Germany's 16 states, these 2 at opposite ends of the country begin with the same letter & are the largest & smallest

11/28 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
VIDEO GAMES

11/28 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The desire in his childhood to catch every insect inspired Satoshi Tajiri to create this 1996 game

11/29 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FAMILIAR PHRASES

11/29 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In the 1870s this phrase meant a hairdo, using a British word for bangs; now it's an extreme group on the edge of a cause

11/30 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD FLAGS & THE BIBLE

11/30 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The central image on the flag of this nation is a symbol of strength in Psalm 92 & a prized building material in I Kings 5

12/1 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
HISTORIC WORLD BUILDINGS

12/1 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Rome’s Colosseum may have gotten its name because of a colossal circa 65 A.D. statue of this emperor erected nearby

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Bavaria & Bremen
Pokémon
lunatic fringe
Lebanon
Nero
The players were 4/15 (26.67%) with a 1-1-0-1-1 success pattern.

The extra clues have a requested triple stumper followed by two other triple stumpers.

KEEP IT DOWN $400: On "Seinfeld" Jerry is compelled to wear one of these after an encounter with a "low talker"

LITERATURE $1600: This Allen Ginsberg poem begins, "I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness"

BUILDING, ROMAN $1600: Victor Emmanuel II & Raphael are at rest in this Roman structure; Paris has its own

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
puffy shirt
"Howl"
Pantheon
MarkBarrett

Re: FJs for the 11/27/17 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :(
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
No guess on puffy shirt
Bavaria & Baden-Baden
Have played Pokémon on Game Boy.
Splinter Group
Flavian
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

:( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Not seen the puffy shirt ro (not a big Seinfeld fan) but I know of it, entered my mind, but I rejected it because it made no sense. But then Seinfeld makes no sense so I should’ve ran with it.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Mon - Bavaria and Bonn
Wed - "fringe" and nothing else
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

:( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I had not known till now that we were given a map to work with on the Germany clue. It may not have helped me, as I hadn't realized Bremen was a state.

I think I thought Pokémon began as a card game. Video games were never my thing, but I knew Myst was from around then and it sounds like it might kill bugs.

"Lunatic fringe" sounded unlikely as a hairstyle, but "fringe" as a "phrase" seemed problematic. I wavered, and am unsure how I'd have gone. How's this--next time, I'll mark me wrong.

I did not solve the Seinfeld clue though I had seen it on Jeopardy at least once. I misremembered it as "poofy".
I'm smart and I want respect.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:( :mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :(

Bavaria and Berlin; fringe; no guess.
I'm the inverse, re: Seinfeld; I got it right although I'm not sure I've ever seen an entire episode
I was working off the Clue of the Day, which didn't have the map. I don't know if I'd have come up with Bremen, but I would have known it wasn't Berlin.
Have never played any form of Pokémon as far as I know.
I tried to think of something that would go with "fringe" but couldn't make it work for both parts of the clue, so I stopped with just the word itself.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

:( :mrgreen: :( :( :(
This was a week of "almost solves." The "Howl" clue was a Final in MJ's thirteenth win, two years ago. He got it wrong.
Hoping for a third lap
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :(

I know nothing about Pokemon except by osmosis but it was a WECIB for my knowledge base.
TOM'd into the hairdo from deciding a "phrase" had to have two words and that was the only familiar combination even though it didn't make sense for the hairstyle.

I would have Wag'd puffy shirt without the low talker connection.
I just brainlocked on "Howl", would've WAG'd it for the $1600 and Clammed for bottom row if I had remembered it.
After Bavaria it was Balogna for me. NHO Bremen.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :(
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

:( :mrgreen: :(

Just Bavaria.
"Easy! Fringe!" (time passes) "Wait, phrases? Uh... Uhhhhhh, fringe group? wtf?"

I would have guessed the puffy shirt if it were a DD, but I clammed because I didn't know there was a (and still don't quite understand the) connection to the low talker.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:x :mrgreen: :( sure know how to pick 'em. Never watched Seinfeld, never will.
Leander

Post by Leander »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :(

Missed with radical fringe and Augustus.

Did not get Seinfeld despite seeing the episode several times.

Never played Pokemon

Played the Germany FJ off the Clue of the Day without the map. I wonder if the map might have hurt if I played it live, since I thought Bremen was closer to the North Sea than it appeared on the map. I think it helped though that I have briefly visited Bremen, although I didn’t realize it was a state.
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

DBear wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:01 pm :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:x :mrgreen: :( sure know how to pick 'em. Never watched Seinfeld, never will.
OK, I'll bite. Why will you never watch Seinfeld?
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Opposite was true for me in the Seinfeld clue - never seen the episode, I just remembered it from this game.

I should've asked for the poll question - I wrote down Pokemon with the proper accent over the e. :mrgreen: ... Played a lot of Pokemon in grade school.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

For the Seinfeld clue, since the category was Keep It Down, I think reversing the given and needed clauses would have been a better clue:
KEEP IT DOWN $400: On "Seinfeld" Jerry is compelled to wear a puffy shirt after an encounter with one of these
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

threearruda wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:59 am I should've asked for the poll question - I wrote down Pokemon with the proper accent over the e. :mrgreen: ... Played a lot of Pokemon in grade school.
In my case it was an autocorrect, courtesy of who, I don't know. Pokémon. There it is again.
I'm smart and I want respect.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :oops: :( :mrgreen:
:( :( :mrgreen:
Last edited by LucarioSnooperVixey on Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Douglas Squasoni
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

:mrgreen: :( :( :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

"Lunatic fringe" when through my mind - along with "fringe element" but neither sounded anything like a hairstyle, and lunatic fringe particularly didn't sound like something that would have been used in that time period. Considered whether "fringe" could be considered a phrase but yeah, this clue sucked.
davey

Post by davey »

:( :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

:cry: First <50% FJ week of the season... :cry: But see below...
I've seen the puffy-shirt Seinfeld exactly once - it went through my head, but I decided to clam...

My mini-protest for the week is not joining the 66% (so far) who've checked the last box - since I maintain my response, the fringe, meets both parts of the clue... :roll: