Sad Legal News About a Former Champion

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Sad Legal News About a Former Champion

Post by MarkBarrett »

Is there a zero missing in the attorney fees? In other parts of the country you can't sneeze around a lawyer for less than $16,000.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:00 pm Is there a zero missing in the attorney fees? In other parts of the country you can't sneeze around a lawyer for less than $16,000.
That was the school’s attorney fees. Maybe most of their work was done by house counsel that was already on payroll.

Glad she didn’t get jail time. I wonder what her next career move will be. I hope someone gives her a chance.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:45 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:00 pm Is there a zero missing in the attorney fees? In other parts of the country you can't sneeze around a lawyer for less than $16,000.
That was the school’s attorney fees. Maybe most of their work was done by house counsel that was already on payroll.

Glad she didn’t get jail time. I wonder what her next career move will be. I hope someone gives her a chance.
I wish her the best. In the grand scheme of crimes and misdemeanors, this is small stuff and she will leave this behind her.

I don’t understand the sentence, however. Probation from her job, as reported? I thought she was terminated by the university.
davey

Post by davey »

morbeedo wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:58 am
Bamaman wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:45 am

I wish her the best. In the grand scheme of crimes and misdemeanors, this is small stuff and she will leave this behind her.

I don’t understand the sentence, however. Probation from her job, as reported? I thought she was terminated by the university.
She's on probation with the state of Michigan. She's not getting her job back.
Quantum
Valued Contributor

Post by Quantum »

I am very glad that this has turned out as well as it did.

I continue to believe that Dr. Jass's actions should not have been prosecuted. It looks to me like an instance of pre-whistle blowing activity by Dr. Jass that yielded information the Adrian College administration found embarrassing; and (in my view) they over-reacted.

I don't view this as really analogous to the case mentioned, of someone coming into a house through an unlocked door. I have very high expectations of privacy in my home, whether the door is locked or not, and whether I am at home or not.

I don't have much expectation of privacy online. There have been so many data breaches at the university where I work and at the retailers where I have credit cards that it would be unrealistic to imagine that I could escape all data breaches of those types (short of having no credit cards; and even then, it's too late to avoid attending any university, or for that matter any K-12 school).

The better policy is not to put any information into an email that you would be unwilling to see on the front page of the local newspaper, attributed to you. If the college administrators had adhered to that, I am pretty convinced that the same actions would not have led to any legal case.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

https://www.mlive.com/news/jackson/inde ... essor.html

If she successfully completes the terms of her probation, which include making restitution to the college, the felony charge against her will be dismissed.
davey

Post by davey »

Quantum wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:17 pm I am very glad that this has turned out as well as it did.

I continue to believe that Dr. Jass's actions should not have been prosecuted. It looks to me like an instance of pre-whistle blowing activity by Dr. Jass that yielded information the Adrian College administration found embarrassing; and (in my view) they over-reacted.

I don't view this as really analogous to the case mentioned, of someone coming into a house through an unlocked door. I have very high expectations of privacy in my home, whether the door is locked or not, and whether I am at home or not.

I don't have much expectation of privacy online. There have been so many data breaches at the university where I work and at the retailers where I have credit cards that it would be unrealistic to imagine that I could escape all data breaches of those types (short of having no credit cards; and even then, it's too late to avoid attending any university, or for that matter any K-12 school).

The better policy is not to put any information into an email that you would be unwilling to see on the front page of the local newspaper, attributed to you. If the college administrators had adhered to that, I am pretty convinced that the same actions would not have led to any legal case.
Since you feel this way...Would you mind sending me your email account and log-in information? I merely want to be sure there's nothing shady going on...Just your work email is fine. I could get it with a FOIA request but this would save a lot of trouble. Thanks!... ;)
Quantum
Valued Contributor

Post by Quantum »

I understand that views on this differ.

And yes, I'm not opening my email to everybody, nor sending a complete transcript of everything to the New York Times.

But what you would not find in any of my email is: snarky comments about tenure candidates, snarky comments about candidates to be department chair, snarky comments about candidates for the deanship, snarky comments about higher-level administrators, snarky comments about undergraduates, snarky comments about grad students, snarky comments about post-docs, snarky comments about seminar speakers . . . well, you get the drift.

If there had been none of those things in the emails of the administrators at Adrian, there would have been nothing for Dr. Jass to talk about with her "friend" and nothing that the "friend" could fear that Dr. Jass might use for leverage (reportedly, could be newspaper error again).
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

The website Inside Higher Ed has covered this story:

http://www.insidehighered.com/news/2018 ... l-accounts
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

As someone who has suffered data breaches, I wish they’d thrown the book at her.