Sad Legal News About a Former Champion

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Re: Sad Legal News About a Former Champion

Post by goatman »

zerobandwidth wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:15 pm Definitely sounds like a strange situation. :?
There is clearly more to this story.
Absolutely. Boardies please don't speculate on this matter which is none of our business. I do not believe for one minute that she knowingly did any wrong. She has retained competent counsel who will discover the real truth. She is likely the target of malicious accusations or simply error.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

goatman wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:45 am
zerobandwidth wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:15 pm Definitely sounds like a strange situation. :?
Absolutely. Boardies please don't speculate on this matter which is none of our business. I do not believe for one minute that she knowingly did any wrong. She has retained competent counsel who will discover the real truth. She is likely the target of malicious accusations or simply error.
Umm, what exactly do you think the definition of 'speculate' is?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Stephanie waived the probable cause hearing today as well as a circuit court arraignment scheduled for Dec 20. No word on when her next court date is or what that will entail. So, really no new information and definitely no need to speculate. Just passing this along to people of good will who may feel that they know Stephanie a little bit and would like to know where we are in this process.

http://www.lenconnect.com/news/20171213 ... cking-case
Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Johnblue »

I had no idea that act was a crime, much less a felony! Not that I've ever done that. There does seem to be a rush to judgment these days all over the place.
BobF

Post by BobF »

Ish wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:08 am Sounds like something I may have done in the past without malicious intent and without knowing it was a crime.
Same, but I did mine on a company sanctioned prank day.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

This article's a month old now, but it doesn't look good for her (and it really doesn't look good for the university's IT department):
http://www.mlive.com/news/jackson/index ... ounts.html
Hoping for a third lap
okstater04
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by okstater04 »

Hello, all! I have not been here in awhile (my bad) and I'm digging through posts. To my amazement, I stumbled upon this, having heard nothing about it even though Google reveals it was picked up by most major outlets (People magazine, Huff Post, etc.)

I read an article that said she had a pre-trial hearing today and that her trial is in early June. No idea if her trial was delayed at all at today's hearing.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

goatman wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:45 am
I'm curious how you can possibly know the bolded statements? And how your confident declarations of her complete innocence are any less speculative or ridiculous than claims of her guilt? Which, to my knowledge, absolutely no one in this topic has made?

Having read through this topic, I have to ask; I wasn't around back then, but were people this understanding and generous ("there must be an innocent explanation!" and "we can't rush to judgment!") when the accusations against Jerry Slowik initially came out? I understand the latter was a more serious crime, but the presumption of innocence should be equally strong in weightier matters.
Quantum
Valued Contributor

Post by Quantum »

Just a couple of comments: First, that many people with experience in academic administration understand that there are personnel-related comments that should not go into email. They should be discussed in person, if at all. Some of them should not even be discussed It looks to me as though some of the emails in question had material that should have been only in a personnel file, or not written down at all. I am basing this on the report "Jeopardy! champ hacked accounts of college president, vice president," which I turned up in a Google search. It gives somewhat more depth to the story than the original link. Among the items that you will notice if you read it: Jass was an Associate Professor. At some point, she herself would logically be up for promotion to Full Professor. Also, the colleague with whom she shared some of the hacked information has "since been promoted." This is the first I have heard about this case, but I think I have a pretty good idea of what will eventually come to light, unless everyone involved agrees to some kind of "gag" order. (Disclaimer: I don't know Jass, but I know academia.)
davey

Post by davey »

Quantum wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 6:51 am Just a couple of comments: First, that many people with experience in academic administration understand that there are personnel-related comments that should not go into email. They should be discussed in person, if at all. Some of them should not even be discussed It looks to me as though some of the emails in question had material that should have been only in a personnel file, or not written down at all. I am basing this on the report "Jeopardy! champ hacked accounts of college president, vice president," which I turned up in a Google search. It gives somewhat more depth to the story than the original link. Among the items that you will notice if you read it: Jass was an Associate Professor. At some point, she herself would logically be up for promotion to Full Professor. Also, the colleague with whom she shared some of the hacked information has "since been promoted." This is the first I have heard about this case, but I think I have a pretty good idea of what will eventually come to light, unless everyone involved agrees to some kind of "gag" order. (Disclaimer: I don't know Jass, but I know academia.)
This is pretty mysterious, but I assume the thing that will come to light is whether or not Jass read and downloaded the emails. Their content is immaterial.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

davey wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 10:04 am This is pretty mysterious, but I assume the thing that will come to light is whether or not Jass read and downloaded the emails. Their content is immaterial.
Read sarisson's link above. http://www.mlive.com/news/jackson/index ... ounts.html

Jass allegedly accessed the e-mail accounts of the President and Vice President and took notes on what she found. She might have gotten away with it, too...except she bragged about it to a friend of her's at the college. Said friend then immediately went to the administration, and stated her concerns that Jass would use this to blackmail them, based on their conversation.

This happened in late April, early May of last year, and they didn't formally charge her until December. Which is probably a sign that they consulted a bunch of lawyers, built up their case, and still decided to go through with it. Incidentally, the pretrial hearing was yesterday and the trial itself is in early June.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

IronNeck wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 2:42 am

I'm curious how you can possibly know the bolded statements? And how your confident declarations of her complete innocence are any less speculative or ridiculous than claims of her guilt? Which, to my knowledge, absolutely no one in this topic has made?

Having read through this topic, I have to ask; I wasn't around back then, but were people this understanding and generous ("there must be an innocent explanation!" and "we can't rush to judgment!") when the accusations against Jerry Slowik initially came out? I understand the latter was a more serious crime, but the presumption of innocence should be equally strong in weightier matters
Slowik was caught in a van with an underage girl who wasn't wearing a top. So the evidence was a lot more cut and dried (and easier to explain in a newspaper article) than what she is accused of doing.

Also, she was once a fairly active poster here. Her profile says she last posted here on February 2, 2017 and her last time to log on here was October 19, 2017. However, she could still be lurking while logged out. So I suspect people may be going easier in their judgement since they have encountered her here and some have even met her in real life.

This of course, is human nature. People on here know her (as well as you can know someone on a message board) and found her to be a very nice person. I always liked her and enjoyed reading her contributions. So naturally we are going to be less likely to think she is guilty than we would a total stranger.

Also, as you said, the crimes are very different. He was engaged in sexual activities with an underage girl. She is charged with a cybercrime. From what I gather, they are saying she hacked into the e-mail for some office related issues. I don't think they have accused her of stealing money or identity theft.

You are right that everyone is innocent until proven guilty. But in reality, we all deal with these things on a case by case basis. And since none of us will be on her jury or Slowik's jury, it really doesn't matter what we think or say on here.

Had she never posted here, this story probably barely gets a mention here.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

One point: she didn't hack anything. She allegedly accessed accounts without authorization. Way different.
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

alietr wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 8:17 pm One point: she didn't hack anything. She allegedly accessed accounts without authorization. Way different.
True, but relatively few people understand what "hacking" really means, plus it's a more concise descriptor in a newspaper headline.

That being said, the charge is a really big deal. I can think of several cases during my time in academia with milder allegations than this where the suspect was sentenced to significant jail time.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

alietr wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 8:17 pm One point: she didn't hack anything. She allegedly accessed accounts without authorization. Way different.
I apologize for misspeaking about the charges.
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

There is a difference between "Remember that she is innocent unless she is proven guilty" and "I just know by instinct that she is actually and truly innocent." I think Goatman probably went too far when he said the latter, but I sympathize with his desire to hope that the charges were not true.
davey

Post by davey »

IronNeck wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 7:09 pm
davey wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 10:04 am This is pretty mysterious, but I assume the thing that will come to light is whether or not Jass read and downloaded the emails. Their content is immaterial.
Read sarisson's link above. http://www.mlive.com/news/jackson/index ... ounts.html

Jass allegedly accessed the e-mail accounts of the President and Vice President and took notes on what she found. She might have gotten away with it, too...except she bragged about it to a friend of her's at the college. Said friend then immediately went to the administration, and stated her concerns that Jass would use this to blackmail them, based on their conversation.

This happened in late April, early May of last year, and they didn't formally charge her until December. Which is probably a sign that they consulted a bunch of lawyers, built up their case, and still decided to go through with it. Incidentally, the pretrial hearing was yesterday and the trial itself is in early June.
I didn't mean that the charges were mysterious. I meant that Quantum's post was purposely mysterious, maybe suggesting that there was whistleblowing going on rather than just stealing.
Quantum
Valued Contributor

Post by Quantum »

I wasn't deliberately trying to be mysterious, just trying to avoid being defamatory in any way. Here is my suspicion: Jass and the unnamed "friend" to whom she showed the results Jass obtained by logging in to the accounts of the President (and others) at Adrian College may both have been up for promotion to Full Professor. Or possibly just the friend who has "since been promoted" (according to the news account I mentioned) was up for promotion to Full Professor, and Jass anticipated following within a few years. The news account I mentioned (that you can Google) indicated that unfavorable comments about Jass's "friend" were apparently made in the email by the University President. If I were advising a University President about what goes in email and what doesn't, I would have said that the type of comments that were apparently made (again, just judging by the article) are the type that one should only share orally with one's spouse, and no one else, and certainly not put in email. Obviously, this is all based on assuming that the article is accurate.

I also make the distinction (as some have before) between "hacking" and "unauthorized access." The re-set of the university's passwords apparently made everything wide open for a few days. That was poor planning in itself. I would be willing to bet a 50 point handicap in the next TD round that the felony Jass is charged with (using a computer to commit a crime) is just accessing the accounts of administrators, via computer.

I could be wrong, of course, but these are among the things I suspect.
Quantum
Valued Contributor

Post by Quantum »

Also, I saw no sign whatever that Jass intended to blackmail anyone--just the word of the "friend" who has "since been promoted."
IronNeck

Post by IronNeck »

Quantum wrote:Here is my suspicion: Jass and the unnamed "friend" to whom she showed the results Jass obtained by logging in to the accounts of the President (and others) at Adrian College may both have been up for promotion to Full Professor.
This is silly, baseless speculation. Unless you're personally involved in the investigation (in which case, you're probably committing a crime by writing about it here), wait for the court case and stop making up ridiculous theories.
Quantum wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 10:23 pm Also, I saw no sign whatever that Jass intended to blackmail anyone--just the word of the "friend" who has "since been promoted."
So you know better than Jass' friend and direct witness who has made a formal police statement of what she experienced? And from what "source" do you get this knowledge?

Also, why do you like using quotation marks to question the credibility of someone you've never even met?

It's funny; there have indeed been a few people in this topic jumping to conclusions and slandering people they've never met. Only the conclusions are that Jass is innocent and the slander that her friend is a liar.