Sad Legal News About a Former Champion

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Sad Legal News About a Former Champion

Post by alietr »

She posted that things went better than expected today. That's great news.
Quantum
Valued Contributor

Post by Quantum »

I am really glad to hear that things went better than expected!

Also, I would like to apologize for not thinking about how frequently news stories are wrong, even in terms of important elements of the story. I know that is often the case.

I regard Dr. Jass as a legendary figure in the Jeopardy! world. It is too bad that Adrian ever made a legal case out of the situation.
Quantum
Valued Contributor

Post by Quantum »

And thanks, Stanislaus Jacob. It was my intent to defend Dr. J. I just did it poorly.
Anachronism
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Anachronism »

http://www.mlive.com/news/jackson/index ... s_gui.html

I hope the deal is a favorable one.
Quantum
Valued Contributor

Post by Quantum »

If this news is accurate, my opinion of Adrian College's administrators is even lower than it had previously been.
I suppose the news is better than might have been the case, but it is still tragically wrong.
I feel very bad about the actions of the acquaintance with whom Dr. J spoke. This was sadly misplaced trust. I am especially uncomfortable if the news is true that the acquaintance has "since been promoted."

With these comments, I mean only 100% to be supportive of Dr. J, and to offer my condolences to her.

If I lived in the county where Adrian College is located, I would never vote for anyone currently in the prosecutor's office to continue as DA.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I'm curious why you are so adamant in your defense of Stephanie, Quantum. To me it's clear what she did was wrong and illegal and she must suffer the consequences. She was a great player and she's an entertaining individual, but that doesn't make her above the law.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:43 am I'm curious why you are so adamant in your defense of Stephanie, Quantum. To me it's clear what she did was wrong and illegal and she must suffer the consequences. She was a great player and she's an entertaining individual, but that doesn't make her above the law.
What Adrian College did is the security equivalent of leaving a front door not just unlocked but completely wide open.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Quantum
Valued Contributor

Post by Quantum »

Of course no one is above the law. I don't believe that anyone is.

However, to the extent that one can rely on the reports, a blunder by the IT staff left the entire email system accessible to anyone at the college. Resetting everyone's passwords to the same thing? This was essentially an open door. I think Dr. J's actions would be analogous to entering, but not breaking. It definitely does not seem like hacking to me. I don't know the technicalities of Adrian's policy about email privacy.

Clearly the administrators at Adrian had been sharing confidential information by email, or at least opinions that would be embarrassing to them, if they were publicized. If there had not been such information in the email, there would have been nothing for Dr. J to talk about. Putting information that does not belong in email into email is another blunder, or multiple blunders.

Thirdly, I am very uncomfortable with the apparent fact that a friend whom Dr. J told about the email contents immediately went to the administration and has "subsequently been promoted."

Our faculty have to take "FERPA" quizzes every so often (on education rights for students). As I understand it, email between administrators or between a faculty member and an administrator about a student, on a university system, would constitute a record that the student had a right to access. I think the faculty should have the same right. (Okay, not by walking into a wide open system, but rather by requesting the records. If that did not work, at my university I believe the emails would have been subject to FOIA; but my university is public.)

I have been defending Dr. J from the get-go, but I started out pretty clumsily and inadvisedly. So partly, I am trying to make amends for that. Partly, Adrian seems to me to have over-reacted badly. I actually doubt that a faculty member at my university would have tenure revoked for doing the same thing--let alone be prosecuted. (Obviously I am not planning to test that.) Also, I have been a faculty member for quite a long time, and I have seen a very wide variety of administrators. Enough said about that.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:25 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:43 am I'm curious why you are so adamant in your defense of Stephanie, Quantum. To me it's clear what she did was wrong and illegal and she must suffer the consequences. She was a great player and she's an entertaining individual, but that doesn't make her above the law.
What Adrian College did is the security equivalent of leaving a front door not just unlocked but completely wide open.
This is certainly true and it was a huge blunder, but at the same time if I leave the front door of my house unlocked I don't expect that makes it OK for someone to come in and kick their feet up on my couch.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:25 am What Adrian College did is the security equivalent of leaving a front door not just unlocked but completely wide open.
This.
If everyone knew that there was a college-wide password reset, very likely dozens (if not hundreds) of people took advantage of it to get into other people's accounts. Were they all terminated or expelled? No, because they didn't get caught.
According to articles published within the last 24 hours (google "Jeopardy" and you'll see them on NBC News, the NY Post, etc.) she could get up to 5 years in prison. I don't know about Michigan law, but in most states, a felony conviction would bar you from voting, not to mention ruin your post-prison life. That seems incredibly excessive for entering with the door wide open.
Hoping for a third lap
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

sarisson wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:39 pm If everyone knew that there was a college-wide password reset, very likely dozens (if not hundreds) of people took advantage of it to get into other people's accounts.
Really? I guess I'd like to think people are more honest than that as a rule, but perhaps I'm wrong.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:25 pm
This is certainly true and it was a huge blunder, but at the same time if I leave the front door of my house unlocked I don't expect that makes it OK for someone to come in and kick their feet up on my couch.

I agree.

By the way, you need to buy more beer.
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

sarisson wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:39 pm I don't know about Michigan law, but in most states, a felony conviction would bar you from voting, not to mention ruin your post-prison life. That seems incredibly excessive for entering with the door wide open.
I strongly suspect (since this seems to have been a plea bargain) that a 5-year prison sentence will not happen. As far as other penalties go, a felony is a felony. The Michigan legislature chose to make this a felony and not a misdemeanor, so any quarrel you have is with the law, not with these specific prosecutors as Quantum claimed.
davey

Post by davey »

Stanislaus Jacob wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:42 pm
sarisson wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 3:39 pm I don't know about Michigan law, but in most states, a felony conviction would bar you from voting, not to mention ruin your post-prison life. That seems incredibly excessive for entering with the door wide open.
I strongly suspect (since this seems to have been a plea bargain) that a 5-year prison sentence will not happen. As far as other penalties go, a felony is a felony. The Michigan legislature chose to make this a felony and not a misdemeanor, so any quarrel you have is with the law, not with these specific prosecutors as Quantum claimed.
I agree. She shouldn't get 5 years, and she probably won't.
Still, another apt scenario might be: The power goes out, your security company resets your code to 123, and you think, Gee I wonder if my neighbors got the same dumb reset? They're not home, and I've always wanted to know if any of them keeps a diary...
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

Stanislaus Jacob wrote: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:42 pm
I don't think she'll have to spend time in jail. I hope not. The judge can consider many factors here and if her lawyer is even minimally competent, the prosecution won't even ask for jail time at sentencing. But I think it's likely the felony plea itself, which sticks, is what the prosecution insisted upon.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

I am not an attorney, and I'm not completely clear what she allegedly did. But, since you use the analogy of the unlocked door...

My understanding of the law is that if you leave the door to your house standing wide open and someone who's not suppose to enter does in fact enter, that person has committed burglary, whether or not he/she steals/removes anything.

I saw last weekend that Stephanie had entered a guilty plea. I know, none of this sounds like the Great Train Robbery and it saddens me to see her suffer these consequences.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

John Boy wrote: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:01 pm My understanding of the law is that if you leave the door to your house standing wide open and someone who's not suppose to enter does in fact enter, that person has committed burglary, whether or not he/she steals/removes anything.
Probably just trespassing. Burglary generally requires the intent to commit a crime within.
julycoaron
Contributor

Post by julycoaron »

In California, burglary is entering the building of another with the intent to commit theft or some other felony.
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

Does that make it OK to enter? Not locking your bike is stupid but that doesn't mean it's not a crime to take it.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

Hoping for a third lap