Wednesday, December 6, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, econgator, dhkendall, trainman

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, December 6, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:46 pm

J! Round

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, December 6, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:47 pm

DJ! Round

theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:49 pm

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
REFERENCE BOOKS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This manual resulted from a military engineer’s attendance at an unruly 1860s church meeting

Kyle Becker: 13200+1=13201 (3x = $43,601)
Lindsay Norsworthy: 6600-6600=0
Eric Dravland: 6600-6600=0

Correct response:
SpoilerShow
Robert’s Rules of Order (Lindsay – Military Code of Conduct) (Eric – army field manual)

Daily Doubles
Kyle: 3000+1000
Lindsay: 3400+2000
Eric: 4400+3000

Coryats
Kyle: 13200
Lindsay: 5400
Eric: 5200

Combined: 23,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Kyle: 6400
Lindsay: 3000
Eric: 4800

MarkBarrett
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MarkBarrett » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:50 pm

Kyle made it easy to root for him since he knew the show that had the owners of the TV dog, Tiger.

The players were 0/4 in HITCHCOCK RESENTS and time’s up kept them from the possibility of a complete skunk.

The DD wagers went up the ladder 1K, 2K, 3K and in player order starting from the left.

As someone on the board of directors of the church I attend I better have solved that FJ! clue. I’ve attended some meetings with heated discussion while it would never get to the level of unruly.

The challengers interpreted the clue from the military aspect of the wording. Before the night is out I wonder if someone on the J! Board will guess According to Hoyle in picturing an unruly church game night?

The fireworks were lit for an explosive finish and it turned out to be a dud. Both Eric & Lindsay did bet the farm each, but then could not solve the FJ! clue. It did not matter because Kyle not only solved the clue, he also bet the buck.

The dream of a 13200 all tiebreaker? Dashed. The result is Kyle is knocking on a Bronze door.

squarekara
LEGO my Ego

Post by squarekara » Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:54 pm

As a fan, was sorry to see the Hitchcock category fall so, so flat. :(

After the mention of high school Latin Club in Kyle's interview, we assumed he'd be likely to have had something else like Debate Club, Toastmasters, or Junior Statesmen in his not-too-distant past that would lead him easily to FJ. Whatever the means, he didn't let us down, but we did not anticipate that his would be the sole FJ get.

Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:09 pm

With apologies to Eric and Lindsay, those are two of the most unintentionally funny FJ responses in a while. An unruly church meeting would lead to an army field guide or the military code of conduct?? :lol:

It just goes to show that when one's mind starts down the wrong track [and obviously: lights + camera + audience = pressure!], it can end up in some strange places.

alchos
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by alchos » Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:35 pm

Lindsay's response to Marquis de Sade question was correct, but they counted her wrong.

She answered the French and Indian War which is what Americans call the 7 years war.

I was surprised that they never credited her with a correct response before showing the final jeopardy clue. They are lucky she got the final jeopardy clue wrong, otherwise, they would probably be bringing her back for another episode.

TenPoundHammer
Oahu? Wahoo!

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:30 pm

"Annelid" I remembered from the Earthworm Jim cartoon, Tiger = Blake I remember from Calvin & Hobbes, and "I Am Woman" from a previous FJ!

"Brave" was my only miss in the rightmost J! category, the bottom in Gravity and Fact, and the DD in hyphenated.

That Hitchcock category was garbage. I can see why they bombed it.

Lach Trash: cock-a-leekie, hurdy-gurdy, printer ink

NHO the correct FJ! response.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:33 pm

In spite of knowing better, I allowed myself to get really excited when I noticed the scores going into that Hitchcock category. I was begging them out loud not to ring in, screaming at the TV every time a clue finished w/o the end-of-round sounding. And then it happened! Two challengers with exactly half the leader's score!!!

...and then they both missed FJ. And the champ got it right and bet the dollar anyway. Sonuva bitch. The ti....just look at my signature, I give up.

Instaget FJ.
The tiebreaker is a lie.

threearruda
Valued Contributor

Post by threearruda » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:41 pm

Unlike our challengers, I got stuck on the "church" part of the clue and didn't get near the correct response. Might have with more time to think about it, but a miss is a miss.

It's nice to know that watching old episodes multiple times obsessively does pay off! That's the only way I got hurdy-gurdy and cock-a-leekie.

'Grats to Kyle for occupying the first ToC tracker slot for the new cycle!

hscer

Post by hscer » Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:57 pm

What a wagering scenario for the leader in the post-co-champion era.
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer

heppm01
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by heppm01 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:03 pm

All the wagerweenies here must have been drooling at the FJ setup. Looking forward to reading some analysis.

Near instaget on the final. My only concern was whether the Rules were part of a larger work.

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:10 pm

hscer wrote: What a wagering scenario for the leader in the post-co-champion era.
xxaaaxx wrote:And then it happened! Two challengers with exactly half the leader's score!!!

...and then they both missed FJ. And the champ got it right and bet the dollar anyway.
It seems he cheated himself out of quite a bit of cash by betting the measly dollar. If he was willing to take that chance, he may as well write down $6599.

Denise511

Post by Denise511 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:16 pm

Will someone please tell me why the leader going into final jeopardy bet $1 tonight??? It seems to me that he was risking $13200(minus of course what he would have won for 2nd or 3rd place) just to win $1. If he would have wagered $0 he would have guaranteed himself a tie for 1st thus keeping the $13200 and moving onto the next game? Am I missing something? Thanks

acthomas
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by acthomas » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:21 pm

Category 13 wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:10 pm
hscer wrote: What a wagering scenario for the leader in the post-co-champion era.
xxaaaxx wrote:And then it happened! Two challengers with exactly half the leader's score!!!

...and then they both missed FJ. And the champ got it right and bet the dollar anyway.
It seems he cheated himself out of quite a bit of cash by betting the measly dollar. If he was willing to take that chance, he may as well write down $6599.
With due respect to the contestants tonight, there have been enough past contestants who haven't bet to cover that I might play it safe just in case as well.

Denise511

Post by Denise511 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:27 pm

Can two people tie and get their money and move onto next show?

Peter the accountant
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Peter the accountant » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:35 pm

I did much better today (as did the players).

R: 25 W: 2, costing 2600
FJ! :mrgreen:
Coryat: 17,200

Just missed the LT on the Mad Hatter. I said Oct 4. That useless bit of trivia is probably now forever burned in my memory. My only other miss was joining Eric picking Luzon in the Philippines.

Took me a while to dredge up FJ. Long enough that light pen issues would have arisen. I managed to get it all down in time with pencil and paper, so I'm counting it. Wonder if "Roberts Rules" would suffice?

Kyle's DD find in the J! round could have saved him a bunch of worry at the end of the game. He was doing very well at that point and could have easily risked another $1000. I was telling him to go all in.

It appears we are destined never to find out if the tiebreaker actually exists.

FJ! wagering strategy? Lindsay's and Eric's is pretty simple. Gotta wager it all. That's the only way to have a shot at coming back for the next game. Kyle has the hard choice. Wager zero and take your chances with a tie breaker. Or wager a buck and guarantee an outright win if he's right, but risking a loss if he's wrong. It's probably easier to wager the buck when you've already won two games. Of course, if you're going to wager a buck, why not wager half of your score (less a buck in case one of the other players wagers zero)? To bet anything is to bet on getting the response right, so why hold back?
--Peter

badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:45 pm

As a Knight of Columbus who is a Council Advocate/Parliamentarian, I thoroughly enjoyed this Final. Now if only we could apply these rules a bit more in society.

badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:47 pm

Peter the accountant wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:35 pm

Took me a while to dredge up FJ. Long enough that light pen issues would have arisen. I managed to get it all down in time with pencil and paper, so I'm counting it. Wonder if "Roberts Rules" would suffice?
I think that would be allowed. Colloquially, the phrase is often amended to "Robert's Rules" as "Order" is implied.

MarkBarrett
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MarkBarrett » Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:56 pm

badgerfellow wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:47 pm
Peter the accountant wrote:
Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:35 pm

I think that would be allowed. Colloquially, the phrase is often amended to "Robert's Rules" as "Order" is implied.
Do we have a second? Discussion?