Thursday, December 7, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Peter the accountant
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, December 7, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Peter the accountant »

Wheatley wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:24 pm Alex's parrot impression was horrendous - the contestants were wise not to say, but the miss speaks for itself.
I don't know. I managed to get it from his impression. (And the repeated clue.) So it couldn't have been too bad. I'll admit that a chicken did come to mind at first, but after the second bird noise and the repeat of the phrase, I switched to parrot. By the third time around on the braawk, I thought it was a passable parrot.

More interesting to think about would be that morning's meeting with Alex and the writers.
Alex: "What's this word here?"
Writer: "We're going for the sound of a parrot squwak."
Alex: tries out several different parrot impressions. :shock: :lol:
--Peter
davey

Post by davey »

Peter the accountant wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:51 pm .

In terms of study for an appearance (or just the appearance of appearing), wouldn't the list of Time Magazine man/person of the year be a list to memorize? If Academy Award winners by year is worth knowing, so would this. And in terms of knowledge that can make a difference in your thinking, I'd think that the Time info (and a bit of background on the person) would be far more important.
To go through them would be interesting and instructive on the history of the 20th C. But to memorize them? Oscar winners come up in many contexts, Time covers won't. You'd be better off memorizing People's sexiest man alive, it's probably been clued more...this was really an FJ about almost-current events. You only had to think of a major European woman, knowing it from the Time cover would have been impressive but really unnecessary...

I have no interest in seeing the Wonder Woman (or any superhero) movie, but that clue snapped into place anyway....I knew Gal Gadot was Israeli, but in the moment I forgot and gave her name with a silent t, as if she were French. I counted it, any contrary opinions?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

davey wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:21 pm I have no interest in seeing the Wonder Woman (or any superhero) movie, but that clue snapped into place anyway....I knew Gal Gadot was Israeli, but in the moment I forgot and gave her name with a silent t, as if she were French. I counted it, any contrary opinions?
I counted it. All my years of French class, I can't pronounce an ending 'T' anymore.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Volante wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:36 pm
davey wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:21 pm I have no interest in seeing the Wonder Woman (or any superhero) movie, but that clue snapped into place anyway....I knew Gal Gadot was Israeli, but in the moment I forgot and gave her name with a silent t, as if she were French. I counted it, any contrary opinions?
I counted it. All my years of French class, I can't pronounce an ending 'T' anymore.
To be honest, I had assumed that's how her name is pronounced until just now.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

davey wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:21 pm

In terms of study for an appearance (or just the appearance of appearing), wouldn't the list of Time Magazine man/person of the year be a list to memorize? If Academy Award winners by year is worth knowing, so would this. And in terms of knowledge that can make a difference in your thinking, I'd think that the Time info (and a bit of background on the person) would be far more important.
To go through them would be interesting and instructive on the history of the 20th C. But to memorize them? Oscar winners come up in many contexts, Time covers won't. You'd be better off memorizing People's sexiest man alive, it's probably been clued more...this was really an FJ about almost-current events. You only had to think of a major European woman, knowing it from the Time cover would have been impressive but really unnecessary...
I'll memorize anything and everything to improve. I'm not memorizing Time's Person of the Year.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Golf wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:11 pm
davey wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:21 pm

I'll memorize anything and everything to improve. I'm not memorizing Time's Person of the Year.
I was Person of the Year in 2006.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:55 pm Should Kyle have been negged for Ole Miss?
Isn't someone named "Bamaman" familiar with the entire SEC?

The University of Mississippi is very commonly known as "Ole Miss," so, no, he shouldn't have been negged.
davey

Post by davey »

trainman wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:27 pm
Bamaman wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:55 pm Should Kyle have been negged for Ole Miss?

The University of Mississippi is very commonly known as "Ole Miss," so, no, he shouldn't have been negged.
I didn't have any problem with "Ole Miss," what I found annoying was the repetition of "University of..." every time when that was the category, only the state was needed.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

trainman wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:27 pm

I thought they wanted the name of the state. Ole Miss is another name for the university.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

The category was “the state university in...”, not “the state’s university in...”

Ole Miss absolutely is fine
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

jeff6286 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:55 pm The category was “the state university in...”, not “the state’s university in...”

Ole Miss absolutely is fine
Giving the state would be fine too as long as they didn't ask for, say, Rutgers. Past precedence is you're allowed to drop 'University' from responses.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:05 pm
zerobandwidth wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:56 pm
John Boy wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:27 pm P.S. Really? have none of these people ever been put to bed, or put a child to bed, and heard or recited "Now I lay me down to sleep?"
…or heard Metallica's "Enter Sandman"? 8-)
Here is one of the best covers of that song.
Finally something I like about your musical tastes! (As you might imagine) I’m also a Rob Scallon fan!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012