TPH on WoF 12/8/17 discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: TPH on WoF 12/8/17 discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by AFRET CMS »

Have to add to the general cacophony of acclaim! I don't watch Wheel very often, but that one was one for the ages with a superlative performance from our friend.

I'm SO glad I wasn't playing against you, Bobby. You would have ground me to powder and then nonchalantly dusted off your hands without breaking a sweat. Super impressive and way too much fun to watch -- way to go!
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Winchell Factor »

I haven't been here in forever, and I haven't watched Wheel in even longer. But this episode brought me back to read this thread.

Damn, Bobby! That was just masterful, and I'm delighted for you.
sarisson
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by sarisson »

That was a masterful performance, TPH!
I used to think I was good at Wheel, but I would've flubbed that one puzzle even with just the last letter remaining. :oops: Maybe I should change my rank to "Not WOF Material."
I hadn't seen a full episode in over a year, since my high school classmate was on. TPH even did the recap on the Buy a Vowel Board: http://buyavowel.boards.net/thread/8193 ... discussion
Hoping for a third lap
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

boson wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:27 am I loved the "Oahu? Yahoo!!" cheer.
That and his banter with Pat after he had to take away his competitor's million wedge "Can you give it to me?" were my favourite parts

Remember, TPH, you have talent that many on this board don't. Speaking for me at least, I don't think you can teach that, I've watched Wheel for years (albeit incredibly sporadically) and I can't get it (the only time anything was solved before the contestants when we watched today was mrs. dhkendall calling out "Forecast" for "Weather forecast". I felt really dumb watching). We have talents in Jeopardy! that you can't seem to get. Don't sweat it. You have shown you're as awesome as what you excel at as we are in what we do. Wear that with pride. You can't figure out math tricks, you can't figure out WLT, but damn, you can solve Wheel puzzles and use strategy like a Hugo Boss!!! No one can take that away from you! (And, what's better is, no one can unseat you as there's no repeat champions.)

Savour the moment, Bobby. You are an absolute Wheel champion. I am in awe.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Congrats Bobby. In your big moment you stepped up to the big stage and owned it.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

dhkendall wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:55 pm
That and his banter with Pat after he had to take away his competitor's million wedge "Can you give it to me?" were my favourite parts

Remember, TPH, you have talent that many on this board don't. Speaking for me at least, I don't think you can teach that, I've watched Wheel for years (albeit incredibly sporadically) and I can't get it (the only time anything was solved before the contestants when we watched today was mrs. dhkendall calling out "Forecast" for "Weather forecast". I felt really dumb watching). We have talents in Jeopardy! that you can't seem to get. Don't sweat it. You have shown you're as awesome as what you excel at as we are in what we do. Wear that with pride. You can't figure out math tricks, you can't figure out WLT, but damn, you can solve Wheel puzzles and use strategy like a Hugo Boss!!! No one can take that away from you! (And, what's better is, no one can unseat you as there's no repeat champions.)

Gag, can't you just congratulate him without making it about you??? "You're as awesome at what you do as we are in what we do." That's disgusting, if you're going to constantly make these statements, make them "I" statements, not "we" statements, because you don't have the right to lump the rest of the board in with your condescending attitude.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

Congratulations, Bobby! Savor your victory, champ!
Last edited by mxc_takeshi on Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

jeff6286 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:06 pm
dhkendall wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:55 pm

Gag, can't you just congratulate him without making it about you??? "You're as awesome at what you do as we are in what we do." That's disgusting, if you're going to constantly make these statements, make them "I" statements, not "we" statements, because you don't have the right to lump the rest of the board in with your condescending attitude.
Seriously?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

jeff6286 wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:06 pm Gag, can't you just congratulate him without making it about you??? "You're as awesome at what you do as we are in what we do." That's disgusting, if you're going to constantly make these statements, make them "I" statements, not "we" statements, because you don't have the right to lump the rest of the board in with your condescending attitude.
You've turned into quite the curmudgeon over the years.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

If you all enjoy being a part of dhk's "we" that thinks they're better than TPH and tells him every chance he gets, then enjoy, but after 7 years I'm getting tired of it. I've messaged david about it privately in the past but it doesn't seem to have an effect.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

jeff6286 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:52 am If you all enjoy being a part of dhk's "we" that thinks they're better than TPH and tells him every chance he gets, then enjoy, but after 7 years I'm getting tired of it. I've messaged david about it privately in the past but it doesn't seem to have an effect.
Perhaps it's time to consider the possibility that it doesn't strike others quite the same way it strikes you.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:49 am
jeff6286 wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:52 am If you all enjoy being a part of dhk's "we" that thinks they're better than TPH and tells him every chance he gets, then enjoy, but after 7 years I'm getting tired of it. I've messaged david about it privately in the past but it doesn't seem to have an effect.
Perhaps it's time to consider the possibility that it doesn't strike others quite the same way it strikes you.
It certainly wasn’t meant that way. At least not consciously.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

Also congrats to Bobby for being an entertaining and funny contestant. The producers must have been very happy.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

dhkendall wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:56 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:49 am
It certainly wasn’t meant that way. At least not consciously.
What about the long-running "Official TPH Education Thread" on this board? That must be ground zero of condescension due to the inherent "master/apprentice" dynamic in every single exchange! I think David's goodwill was clear. By the way, please add me to the list of people who couldn't play "Wheel" to save my life.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

Congratulations, TPH! Thoroughly enjoyable episode with pure domination.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

squarekara wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 1:31 pm By the way, please add me to the list of people who couldn't play "Wheel" to save my life.
Kara, I could play the game, I would just be utterly horrible at it.

This thread forced me to watch a game of wheel of fortune for the first time, in maybe, 30 years, and all I can say is, "TPH you are now codename: Stallion, Stud or some other word that shows dominance of the common man."

The only general question I have regarding wheel of fortune. "Are other people commonly solving puzzles that early, or is TPH truly good at that game well above the norm of what is on there?"

Based on what I saw, I would have been good enough to maybe compete with Lynette, get my thousand dollars and a butt kickin-to-go.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Sherm wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:54 pm The only general question I have regarding wheel of fortune. "Are other people commonly solving puzzles that early, or is TPH truly good at that game well above the norm of what is on there?"
The stagehands said during the break that we seemed to be solving very quickly. As I said, I didn't go for the G's in Round 1 because I knew I was close to spinning Lose a Turn or Bankrupt.

A common mistake people make in the Prize Puzzle is spinning when it gets back around to them. Usually, they'll either hit Bankrupt, or hit a low amount like $500, call a letter that's up there once, and then solve for the prize. I knew what the answer was, so I figured I'd solve despite having no money -- because I'd at least have the trip.
Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Winchell Factor »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:32 pmA common mistake people make in the Prize Puzzle is spinning when it gets back around to them. Usually, they'll either hit Bankrupt, or hit a low amount like $500, call a letter that's up there once, and then solve for the prize. I knew what the answer was, so I figured I'd solve despite having no money -- because I'd at least have the trip.
I'll confess, when you solved that puzzle without spinning, I thought you'd made a mistake. But when you said to Pat, "I had to do it. It's the prize puzzle," I realized you were a lot smarter about the playing the game than I would have been.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

Congrats, TPH!!! Well deserved! Enjoy your winnings :)
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

Great job... now where can I watch this episode?
Now swimming in the J! pool.