HQ Trivia

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

HQ Trivia

Post by Woof »

Since I haven't seen a post about it here yet...
HQ Trivia is a free app for IOS (Android version coming in January) that permits you to play a twice-daily trivia game show for cash prizes. During the week, $1000 contests are held at 3 pm and 9 pm EST daily and in weekends at 9 pm. Today (Sunday) the prize is $10000.

The format of the game is 12 rounds of multiple choice questions getting progressively harder a la Millionaires original format. All who get all 12 correct share in the prize. Typically, there will be anywhere from 15-100 winners. Groups can play together and one can use an "extra life" to remain in the game after a miss (one per game). You can extra lives by referring people or by purchasing them.

If you haven't yet signed up and want to, you can use my referral name LiptonM. :D
Bartleby
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: HQ Trivia

Post by Bartleby »

Woof wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:42 pm You can extra lives by referring people or by purchasing them.
I’ve played HQ a few times (missed on the final question for yesterday’s quiz) since discovering it last week and wasn’t aware you can buy extra lives. How does one do that?
I would prefer not to.
Woof

Post by Woof »

Bartleby wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:09 pm
Woof wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:42 pm You can extra lives by referring people or by purchasing them.
I’ve played HQ a few times (missed on the final question for yesterday’s quiz) since discovering it last week and wasn’t aware you can buy extra lives. How does one do that?
I can't tell you precisely but I've seen that option in my setup screen.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

When someone else signs up and uses your username as their referral, you get an extra life once they play their first game.
Andy Saunders
Moderator, #JeopardyLivePanel
Host, Complete The List
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Wheatley

Post by Wheatley »

Does it cost anything?
Coryats calculator, share and enjoy. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Wheatley wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:22 pm Does it cost anything?
Not so far. It's created by a couple of the creators of Vine, and it seems like they've got a pile of venture capital going into the prizes. They must have their eyes on big things.
ChexMix
Valued Contributor

Post by ChexMix »

I use an Android, and thus have been unable to try it out. Sounds like a fun app, and will be excited to try it once it does expand. Can anyone who has it chime in on how the actual interface works, and more specifically, how easy it is to "game" the system? My one worry on anything that involves monetary prizes is what is preventing people from looking up answers on a computer while the question is on their phone screen? I'm assuming there is a time limit of some sorts, but even a fast reader and/or typist can usually find ways around this. I typically keep to playing family and friends on apps like Quizup for this very reason.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

ChexMix wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:40 pm I use an Android, and thus have been unable to try it out. Sounds like a fun app, and will be excited to try it once it does expand. Can anyone who has it chime in on how the actual interface works, and more specifically, how easy it is to "game" the system? My one worry on anything that involves monetary prizes is what is preventing people from looking up answers on a computer while the question is on their phone screen? I'm assuming there is a time limit of some sorts, but even a fast reader and/or typist can usually find ways around this. I typically keep to playing family and friends on apps like Quizup for this very reason.
Ten second time limit from the time he starts reading the question. (Usually he takes 5-7 to read it). I have (especially in the early days) missed a few questions because I took too long to think (and once you miss one, you can't answer any more, unless you have an extra life).

That's one thing I like about the game, as I'm training myself to do my trivia quickly with little time to think, in preparation for Jeopardy! (Even things like LL where I have a very long time to think)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

For Android users who'd like to get in on the action, there's a knockoff called "The Q." It's still in beta, and the jackpots are smaller, but they've got less than 1% of HQ's level of participation, so the individual payouts can be comparable to or better than HQ's.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

It wouldn't be impossible to google some of the answers in the time allotted, but there are plenty that I think would be very difficult to find an answer in <10 seconds, to the point that I think it would be virtually impossible in most of the races for a player to win based solely on googling and without any knowledge. It could be possible if a player is good enough and knows 9 or 10 answers that they could conceivably fill in the gap and google the few they don't know but I don't think it's likely enough to worry about.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

rouquinne

Post by rouquinne »

ChexMix wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:40 pm I use an Android, and thus have been unable to try it out. Sounds like a fun app, and will be excited to try it once it does expand. Can anyone who has it chime in on how the actual interface works, and more specifically, how easy it is to "game" the system? My one worry on anything that involves monetary prizes is what is preventing people from looking up answers on a computer while the question is on their phone screen? I'm assuming there is a time limit of some sorts, but even a fast reader and/or typist can usually find ways around this. I typically keep to playing family and friends on apps like Quizup for this very reason.
CBS Sunday did a story about them yesterday and showed the screen:

www.cbs.com/shows/cbs-sunday.../hq-a-no ... l-pursuit/
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

Just played my first game. (Enjoy the extra life, Woof!!) The game started with something around 400k players. Pure random guessing over the 12 questions would leave approximately one player. There were three survivors. From what I've seen here and elsewhere, that's unusually low. Typically, it seems there are more like 50 winners.

So the results aren't completely random. But knowing the answer to 4 questions and randomly guessing on the rest would leave about 50 winners when starting with 300k players.

Personally, I found the questions pretty darn hard. I didn't keep track, but I think I got about 1/2 of them right. That's better than random, but not much. Clearly, I'm not terribly good at trivia.

It would be interesting to see a distribution of winners. (There's a leaderboard in the app, but that only gives dollar winnings, not a count of the number of times won, which is what I'm looking for.) Is there a reasonably small group of players (something in the 100 to 1000 range) that win often? If so, then clearly it's a decent test of trivia, with knowledge being appropriately rewarded. If not, it's closer to a random test of luck of picking the right button 12 times in a row.

Still, the app is set to notify me for tomorrow's games, and I'll play some more.
--Peter
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

seaborgium wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:57 pm For Android users who'd like to get in on the action, there's a knockoff called "The Q." It's still in beta, and the jackpots are smaller, but they've got less than 1% of HQ's level of participation, so the individual payouts can be comparable to or better than HQ's.
I tried it last night, and they clearly need to scale their servers: it partially crashed with the countdown to start at 3 seconds, and never showed me the first question. I got the feel for the game as it stuttered showing me bits of the rest. If that is what it does for 4,000 players, they'll never make it to 400,000.
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

boson wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:19 am
seaborgium wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:57 pm For Android users who'd like to get in on the action, there's a knockoff called "The Q." It's still in beta, and the jackpots are smaller, but they've got less than 1% of HQ's level of participation, so the individual payouts can be comparable to or better than HQ's.
I tried it last night, and they clearly need to scale their servers: it partially crashed with the countdown to start at 3 seconds, and never showed me the first question. I got the feel for the game as it stuttered showing me bits of the rest. If that is what it does for 4,000 players, they'll never make it to 400,000.
I think HQ needs to do the same - they may have grown too fast for their own servers. The video is often laggy or skippy, even when I have a good wifi or data connection.
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

Does anyone know if someone is systematically archiving HQ games, either in text or video form? Youtube has the occasional game posted but nothing comprehensive.

My request has nothing* to do with missing out on the bonus game last night and wondering how I would have done.

*everything
SweepingDeveloper
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by SweepingDeveloper »

On their Christmas Eve show, two winners split a $12,000 jackpot, and have become the newest members of the 1099 Club.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

acthomas wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:23 pm Does anyone know if someone is systematically archiving HQ games, either in text or video form? Youtube has the occasional game posted but nothing comprehensive.

My request has nothing* to do with missing out on the bonus game last night and wondering how I would have done.

*everything
I compulsively screenshot each question's results (mostly so I can more accurately talk about Savage Questions and/or ones that knock me out), but sometimes I suffer technical difficulties, either with questions that don't show up or results screens that go away too fast.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

Picked up my first win in tonight's game, alongside 386 others, for a whopping $5.17 payday!
I would prefer not to.