HQ Trivia

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: HQ Trivia

Post by seaborgium »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:56 pm
tjconn728 wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:19 pm Speaking of Cash Show problems, has anyone gotten a payout from them recently? I had heard it can take a week or so, but I cashed out two weeks ago and it is still "under review." I've acquired an other $30+ since then but I'm hesitant to waste any more time there if they're not paying. I've also emailed them, but have not gotten a response.
I cashed out on 2/26 and I'm also in review still.
I just got an email from PayPal that my payment from Cash Show has come in.
billiej
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by billiej »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:32 am
tjconn728 wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:19 pm Speaking of Cash Show problems, has anyone gotten a payout from them recently? I had heard it can take a week or so, but I cashed out two weeks ago and it is still "under review." I've acquired an other $30+ since then but I'm hesitant to waste any more time there if they're not paying. I've also emailed them, but have not gotten a response.
I cashed out some time ago and got my money about 10 days later. However, this balance is still showing on the app as "under review", which is preventing me from cashing out again. It's been almost 3 weeks since I got that payment.
tjconn728

Post by tjconn728 »

billiej wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:17 am
seaborgium wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:32 am
I cashed out some time ago and got my money about 10 days later. However, this balance is still showing on the app as "under review", which is preventing me from cashing out again. It's been almost 3 weeks since I got that payment.

I also got my cashout this morning and it also shows as still under review in the app. These guys really need to get their act together.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Same here, but I've only earned 83 cents since cashing out.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

It looks like The Q is making a big change: players who have been eliminated can continue answering questions, their performance will be logged over the course of each month, and those with the best records at the end of the month will earn cash prizes. If I understand it correctly, the best performers in eight topics, as well as the person with the most correct answers overall, will get these prizes.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:19 pm It looks like The Q is making a big change: players who have been eliminated can continue answering questions, their performance will be logged over the course of each month, and those with the best records at the end of the month will earn cash prizes. If I understand it correctly, the best performers in eight topics, as well as the person with the most correct answers overall, will get these prizes.
This is a game changer, pun unavoidable! If they let you have access to score and position, it would make it much more appealing to blokes like me. I can't be bothered to keep records, but I love to see progress and failure documented.

Just had to throw in a comment from the peanut gallery. I'm not playing the game and I still see them all as a fad of the month but I thought they'd be trending down by now. I'm rooting for them to stay popular, else public attention will shift to something more ignorant like the Kardashians.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:40 pm
seaborgium wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:19 pm It looks like The Q is making a big change: players who have been eliminated can continue answering questions, their performance will be logged over the course of each month, and those with the best records at the end of the month will earn cash prizes. If I understand it correctly, the best performers in eight topics, as well as the person with the most correct answers overall, will get these prizes.
This is a game changer, pun unavoidable! If they let you have access to score and position, it would make it much more appealing to blokes like me. I can't be bothered to keep records, but I love to see progress and failure documented.

Just had to throw in a comment from the peanut gallery. I'm not playing the game and I still see them all as a fad of the month but I thought they'd be trending down by now. I'm rooting for them to stay popular, else public attention will shift to something more ignorant like the Kardashians.
Yeah, they rolled out leaderboards (in all subjects and overall performance) before these changes came. I really like the concept; it's a better way to differentiate itself from HQ than Cash Show's tiered payout structure.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

I've long thought HQ should reward extra lives to a certain number of viewers who stick around through the end of the game. I imagine it would drive up their numbers significantly.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Vermonter wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:59 am
I've long thought HQ should reward extra lives to a certain number of viewers who stick around through the end of the game. I imagine it would drive up their numbers significantly.
Yeah, I've been thinking that putting advertising in the shows could be difficult because of the precipitous drop-off in viewership that's a necessary part of each game.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:04 pm
Yeah, I've been thinking that putting advertising in the shows could be difficult because of the precipitous drop-off in viewership that's a necessary part of each game.
If you did it after question 3 and before question 4 (where they typically knock off a lot of people) you could deliver about a million people per game. Do it again at question 8 or 9 and you still have a 1-4 hundred thousand.

That is, until the fad wears off. I give it until ~June at most, before the viewership declines like Pokemon Go.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

They did that a few times early on. A box would appear on each player's screen à la Candy Crush bonuses, and the player would have a few seconds to tap the box before it disappeared. Most of the boxes were empty, but some percentage contained extra lives.
Sprinkles are for winners.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

boson wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:52 pm
That is, until the fad wears off. I give it until ~June at most, before the viewership declines like Pokemon Go.
Hey now, Pokemon Go may have lost 95% of its users from the initial explosion, but I just passed 33 million XP and took over a bunch of gyms on my commute to work this morning! :lol:
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

I can't tell if this is supposed to be comedy or not. The host is quoted:
"“I’m very happy here,” he told the Baltimore Sun last month about hosting HQ. “I’m going to sign up with these guys and be part of their long-term future.”"

We must have very different ideas about what "long-term" means.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

heppm01 wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:44 am
"“I’m very happy here,” he told the Baltimore Sun last month about hosting HQ. “I’m going to sign up with these guys and be part of their long-term future.”"

Sounds more like you have very different ideas about what HQ's future is.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

seaborgium wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:07 am
heppm01 wrote: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:44 am

Sounds more like you have very different ideas about what HQ's future is.
Omg, if Rogowsky comes out of stand-up, he's already past the "long-term" threshold for a paying gig.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

How do these guys make money to pay people out?
Now swimming in the J! pool.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:07 pm How do these guys make money to pay people out?
If you're not buying product, you are the product.

See: Facebook, Cambridge Analytica.
...that should be a current events drop too...one sec...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

This past Sunday's $25,000, "keep playing until we have exactly one winner" game had two players left after 26 questions. No one got Q27 right, and only one of them even guessed (so the $25,000 rolls over to make next Sunday's prize $50,000)! As it turns out, one player was kicked out before he could answer. Someone on LL posted a link to this article which discusses the weird finish. (Supposedly, both finalists were part of an online group using bots and group voice chat to game the spate of trivia-for-cash apps. The other one apparently just clicked the wrong choice by accident on Q27.)

edit: Someone on Reddit posted a screenshot of the chat the moment the kickout occurred.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:26 am This past Sunday's $25,000, "keep playing until we have exactly one winner" game had two players left after 26 questions. No one got Q27 right, and only one of them even guessed (so the $25,000 rolls over to make next Sunday's prize $50,000)! As it turns out, one player was kicked out before he could answer. Someone on LL posted a link to this article which discusses the weird finish. (Supposedly, both finalists were part of an online group using bots and group voice chat to game the spate of trivia-for-cash apps. The other one apparently just clicked the wrong choice by accident on Q27.)

edit: Someone on Reddit posted a screenshot of the chat the moment the kickout occurred.
What do they expect when there's such a high incentive to cheat?
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

alietr wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:31 am
seaborgium wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 2:26 am This past Sunday's $25,000, "keep playing until we have exactly one winner" game had two players left after 26 questions. No one got Q27 right, and only one of them even guessed (so the $25,000 rolls over to make next Sunday's prize $50,000)! As it turns out, one player was kicked out before he could answer. Someone on LL posted a link to this article which discusses the weird finish. (Supposedly, both finalists were part of an online group using bots and group voice chat to game the spate of trivia-for-cash apps. The other one apparently just clicked the wrong choice by accident on Q27.)

What do they expect when there's such a high incentive to cheat?
Thanks for the update Seaborgium. It was definitely weird to see the end of that game, and this explains it. There is no way for the main part of this cheating strategy (online chat where people google fast) to be beaten with the game as it is structured now.

But it doesn't need to be 25k$ for there to be an incentive to cheat - people cheat for nothing (exhibit 1 - Learned League) and with the proliferation of copycat apps, you can make some reasonable money winning a few of these a week.