HQ Trivia

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Ironhorse
Second Banana

Re: HQ Trivia

Post by Ironhorse »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:32 pm My first win came this evening (though I've only been playing again for less than a week) for $3.02.
I like how they'll usually cash you out within 30 minutes.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:14 pm Lauren from that viral video has done all right since her win on HQ. Earlier this year she was on Ellen (no last name required) and won $5,000 + an extra $11.30 matching her HQ win. Yesterday she was on the show again and got the honor of being the guest DJ with tWitch away. She's done all right with her 15 minutes of fame.
Huh, maybe I should’ve gotten all excited instead of a “huh! I won! Cool!” for my big wins.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
RJRouge
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by RJRouge »

It took me 9-10 wins to top 20 dollars. I was frustratingly close to a good payout last night during the Double Dare game and flubbed the final question despite knowing the answer. Something doesn't allow me to succeed when I really need to. Here's hoping that doesn't happen if I get the call this year.

Also hey, new to the board, etc.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

RJRouge wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:53 pm It took me 9-10 wins to top 20 dollars.
I hope you're just using that as a benchmark, because they did away with the $20 cash-out minimum a while ago.
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:04 am
RJRouge wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:53 pm It took me 9-10 wins to top 20 dollars.
I hope you're just using that as a benchmark, because they did away with the $20 cash-out minimum a while ago.
It is indeed a benchmark. I didn't even bother to cash out once I hit $20 because I've been worked over by PayPal to the point where I can't even recover my account. But that's a can of worms I'd rather not open at the moment.

I may have tried again if I'd won the $200 I should have Sunday, though.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

If anyone likes trading cards the 2018 Allen Ginter set has Scott Rogowsky included. You can do a search on eBay of "allen ginter rogowsky" to see the relic, autograph, etc. available.

Austin Rogers is also part of this year's set.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:28 am If anyone likes trading cards the 2018 Allen Ginter set has Scott Rogowsky included. You can do a search on eBay of "allen ginter rogowsky" to see the relic, autograph, etc. available.

I bought a blaster box at Target the other day and the best I got is a Tommy Wiseau. I will probably buy a couple more; I love the visual aesthetic of the Allen & Ginter sets.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:28 am If anyone likes trading cards the 2018 Allen Ginter set has Scott Rogowsky included. You can do a search on eBay of "allen ginter rogowsky" to see the relic, autograph, etc. available.

Just want to say thanks for bringing this to my attention, I love baseball cards but typically refrain from buying Allen & Ginter for some reason. Obviously I could've found them on Amazon or something, but I prefer doing things the hard (fun?) way. No avail in the box I bought two weeks ago, but had to stop at Target again today so I tried my luck with one more pack.. lo and behold!

It's also awesome that I appear to be the only owner of the John Smoltz cyan printing plate. The cards are indeed really neat visually and I'll try to get my hands on Rogowsky at some point now that I have 1 of 2 game show stars from last year. I also learned of a Ken Jennings card from some years back I'll need to get someday.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

threearruda wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:36 pm

Just want to say thanks for bringing this to my attention, I love baseball cards but typically refrain from buying Allen & Ginter for some reason. Obviously I could've found them on Amazon or something, but I prefer doing things the hard (fun?) way. No avail in the box I bought two weeks ago, but had to stop at Target again today so I tried my luck with one more pack.. lo and behold!

It's also awesome that I appear to be the only owner of the John Smoltz cyan printing plate. The cards are indeed really neat visually and I'll try to get my hands on Rogowsky at some point now that I have 1 of 2 game show stars from last year. I also learned of a Ken Jennings card from some years back I'll need to get someday.
You are welcome. This link is the question from the TD game I hosted that featured some of the cards: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2895&start=80#p173193

Yes, the printing plates for each color are 1/1. That's cool you got the Austin card the legitimate way and not through eBay. I just received the Austin autograph card today in the mail to make me happy as well as the seller.
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 11:01 pm

You are welcome. This link is the question from the TD game I hosted that featured some of the cards: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2895&start=80#p173193

Yes, the printing plates for each color are 1/1. That's cool you got the Austin card the legitimate way and not through eBay. I just received the Austin autograph card today in the mail to make me happy as well as the seller.
the sheep for that was a dude that i had never heard of before
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

CasketRomance wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:48 am

That's too bad you missed the 6/29/18 game as it was a good one:

#7795, aired 2018-06-29 BIRTH OF A SALESMAN $800: Born in 1914 in San Francisco, this fitness marvel & juicing guru swam handcuffed from Fisherman's Wharf to Alcatraz
CasketRomance

Post by CasketRomance »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:05 am
CasketRomance wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:48 am

That's too bad you missed the 6/29/18 game as it was a good one:

#7795, aired 2018-06-29 BIRTH OF A SALESMAN $800: Born in 1914 in San Francisco, this fitness marvel & juicing guru swam handcuffed from Fisherman's Wharf to Alcatraz
i saw that episode...didn't retain the information as it was boring AF
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

Could've/ should've won 100 or so Sunday night. I answered Lorde, which was right, and then got kicked out of the game. Every other answer I either knew or guessed correctly while playing along. I've never won before, so I missed out on a really good first payout.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

ouachiouat wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:33 pm Could've/ should've won 100 or so Sunday night. I answered Lorde, which was right, and then got kicked out of the game. Every other answer I either knew or guessed correctly while playing along. I've never won before, so I missed out on a really good first payout.
I made it cleanly through 14 questions without even using an extra life, and Scott was about two words into Q15 when suddenly the app exited into the lobby/home screen/whatever; assuming technical difficulties I pounced on that Join button to try and get a shot, and a box popped up saying, "You have been removed from the game for a violation of HQ's Terms of Service and Contest Rules."

I've never so much as Googled while playing HQ. I DMed both their main Twitter account and their support account, and I even emailed a guy who sent me a W9 back in March (now they take care of that stuff via a web form), and I've never gotten a response.

And besides that, a friend of mine had gotten out on Q6 and was texting me about subsequent questions, so the first thing I did once I gave up getting back into the game was to text him that I'd just been kicked, and he said, "Did you guess [correct Q15 response]?" When I told him I didn't see the question, he sent me the question and choices, and all I knew was that I could rule one of them out and it would be a 50/50 guess after that. So I don't even know if I would have won, but I was denied a chance at my 35th win and breaking $1,000 in my grand total.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

CasketRomance wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:44 pm i saw that episode...didn't retain the information as it was boring AF
CasketRomance, meet TenPoundHammer. TenPoundHammer, meet CasketRomance.
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:34 pm
ouachiouat wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:33 pm Could've/ should've won 100 or so Sunday night. I answered Lorde, which was right, and then got kicked out of the game. Every other answer I either knew or guessed correctly while playing along. I've never won before, so I missed out on a really good first payout.
I made it cleanly through 14 questions without even using an extra life, and Scott was about two words into Q15 when suddenly the app exited into the lobby/home screen/whatever; assuming technical difficulties I pounced on that Join button to try and get a shot, and a box popped up saying, "You have been removed from the game for a violation of HQ's Terms of Service and Contest Rules."

I've never so much as Googled while playing HQ. I DMed both their main Twitter account and their support account, and I even emailed a guy who sent me a W9 back in March (now they take care of that stuff via a web form), and I've never gotten a response.

And besides that, a friend of mine had gotten out on Q6 and was texting me about subsequent questions, so the first thing I did once I gave up getting back into the game was to text him that I'd just been kicked, and he said, "Did you guess [correct Q15 response]?" When I told him I didn't see the question, he sent me the question and choices, and all I knew was that I could rule one of them out and it would be a 50/50 guess after that. So I don't even know if I would have won, but I was denied a chance at my 35th win and breaking $1,000 in my grand total.
I find that to be an unfair judgment against you considering that the last person to win the $25,000 is known to have been a member of a Discord chat devoted to sharing answers during the game, which I find to be next-level cheating.

On the plus side, I did manage my biggest win that night, which puts me around the $150 mark. And that was the most income I've had since December that wasn't my insurance company repaying me for stolen goods. Sigh.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

RJRouge wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:04 am Discord chat devoted to sharing answers during the game, which I find to be next-level cheating.
The Terms of Service disagrees with your assessment.

It specifically states that you're allowed the help of up to 25 others during a game (through any means not provided by HQ)
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:45 pm
RJRouge wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:04 am Discord chat devoted to sharing answers during the game, which I find to be next-level cheating.
The Terms of Service disagrees with your assessment.

It specifically states that you're allowed the help of up to 25 others during a game (through any means not provided by HQ)
Hence the friend limit in the app, I would assume (given their occasional "Friend Fridays"), but a Discord server can hold considerably more than that. Personally, I'm still miffed over the fact that there were several people in the chat that night calling his victory several questions in advance. That strikes me as needlessly shady. Besides, what's to prevent any members of that chat room from using a search engine or a bot of some type after they've been eliminated, which would go against the TOS?
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

One question from Thursday's 80s edition of HQ:

"Which TV show featured the catchphrase "I pity the fool"?

Knight Rider
The A-Team
Neither

Spoiler
Knight Rider 467
The A-Team 76,040
(correct) Neither 4,400

Maybe the closest in my life I can recall to feeling the Mandela Effect. As explained by Scott, the phrase was used by Mr. T in Rocky III but inexplicably never said on the A-Team. I have never seen Rocky III, and can vividly remember the phrase being said all the time on the A-Team...but apparently my whole life is a lie!

I did some post-question research and found ample confirmation that indeed, despite being the phrase most associated with Mr. T throughout the 80s, he never said it on the show. I guess he was just all over various media, TV commercials, and particularly the animated Mister T show, which ran coterminously with the A-Team from 1983-85, that the two were merged in my mind.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

jeff6286 wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:10 pm One question from Thursday's 80s edition of HQ:

"Which TV show featured the catchphrase "I pity the fool"?

Knight Rider
The A-Team
Neither

Spoiler
Knight Rider 467
The A-Team 76,040
(correct) Neither 4,400

Maybe the closest in my life I can recall to feeling the Mandela Effect. As explained by Scott, the phrase was used by Mr. T in Rocky III but inexplicably never said on the A-Team. I have never seen Rocky III, and can vividly remember the phrase being said all the time on the A-Team...but apparently my whole life is a lie!

I did some post-question research and found ample confirmation that indeed, despite being the phrase most associated with Mr. T throughout the 80s, he never said it on the show. I guess he was just all over various media, TV commercials, and particularly the animated Mister T show, which ran coterminously with the A-Team from 1983-85, that the two were merged in my mind.
I enjoyed this article that confirmed it: https://uproxx.com/hitfix/timeless-ques ... he-a-team/