HQ Trivia

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bartleby
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: HQ Trivia

Post by Bartleby »

jeff6286 wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:10 pm One question from Thursday's 80s edition of HQ:

"Which TV show featured the catchphrase "I pity the fool"?

Knight Rider
The A-Team
Neither

Spoiler
Knight Rider 467
The A-Team 76,040
(correct) Neither 4,400

Maybe the closest in my life I can recall to feeling the Mandela Effect. As explained by Scott, the phrase was used by Mr. T in Rocky III but inexplicably never said on the A-Team. I have never seen Rocky III, and can vividly remember the phrase being said all the time on the A-Team...but apparently my whole life is a lie!

I did some post-question research and found ample confirmation that indeed, despite being the phrase most associated with Mr. T throughout the 80s, he never said it on the show. I guess he was just all over various media, TV commercials, and particularly the animated Mister T show, which ran coterminously with the A-Team from 1983-85, that the two were merged in my mind.
I've only been playing the Sunday game for the last few months (won for the first time in a while this week), so I didn't see this question live. Where did it fall in the stack? I'm pretty sure I would have figured it out if it was mid to late game (you really have to look for the traps on HQ) but if it was among the first four questions, I probably would have fallen for it.
I would prefer not to.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

RJRouge wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:38 pm Besides, what's to prevent any members of that chat room from using a search engine or a bot of some type after they've been eliminated, which would go against the TOS?
Search engines are legal; bots are not.
Sprinkles are for winners.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Bartleby wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:21 am
jeff6286 wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:10 pm One question from Thursday's 80s edition of HQ:

"Which TV show featured the catchphrase "I pity the fool"?

Knight Rider
The A-Team
Neither

Spoiler
Knight Rider 467
The A-Team 76,040
(correct) Neither 4,400

Maybe the closest in my life I can recall to feeling the Mandela Effect. As explained by Scott, the phrase was used by Mr. T in Rocky III but inexplicably never said on the A-Team. I have never seen Rocky III, and can vividly remember the phrase being said all the time on the A-Team...but apparently my whole life is a lie!

I did some post-question research and found ample confirmation that indeed, despite being the phrase most associated with Mr. T throughout the 80s, he never said it on the show. I guess he was just all over various media, TV commercials, and particularly the animated Mister T show, which ran coterminously with the A-Team from 1983-85, that the two were merged in my mind.
I've only been playing the Sunday game for the last few months (won for the first time in a while this week), so I didn't see this question live. Where did it fall in the stack? I'm pretty sure I would have figured it out if it was mid to late game (you really have to look for the traps on HQ) but if it was among the first four questions, I probably would have fallen for it.
I believe it was Question 7, so kind of in the middle. In hindsight the trap certainly seeemd obvious, as "neither" is such an odd inclusion if it's not the answer, but I don't think anything was going to talk me out of the wrong answer in this instance.
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:54 am
RJRouge wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:38 pm Besides, what's to prevent any members of that chat room from using a search engine or a bot of some type after they've been eliminated, which would go against the TOS?
Legal, but not ethical. Scott has mentioned on several occasions how it's preferable everything come out of somebody's head. The prospect of winning money seems to remove people's scruples.

I can't be the only one used to being banned from looking up answers during trivia competitions with lower stakes who gets salty about it happening there.

EDIT: Oh, I see. I left some ambiguity in that post. My fault on the sentence structure.
billiej

Post by billiej »

RJRouge wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:02 am
BigDaddyMatty wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:54 am
Legal, but not ethical. Scott has mentioned on several occasions how it's preferable everything come out of somebody's head. The prospect of winning money seems to remove people's scruples.

I can't be the only one used to being banned from looking up answers during trivia competitions with lower stakes who gets salty about it happening there.

EDIT: Oh, I see. I left some ambiguity in that post. My fault on the sentence structure.
Since it's not against the rules, I don't condemn Googlers, I just prefer not to do so myself. I'm sure I've gotten indirect search assistance through Friends Friday (which now seems defunct) and on Confetti (which also shows friends' responses). Otherwise, I take pride in earning my wins the hard way, such as they are.
merica
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by merica »

After I don't know how many attempts, I finally conquered HQ last night. It took an extra life after missing round 9, but I am now $2.47 richer. :lol:
Sure wish I didn't mess up an easy (for me) Q12 in the HQ football quiz on Sunday. I used an extra life on that one, missed Q13, then had gimmes for Q14 and Q15, missing out on $57. That would have been worth the effort.
How many others on here still play frequently?
kerryoakie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kerryoakie »

merica wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:41 am After I don't know how many attempts, I finally conquered HQ last night. It took an extra life after missing round 9, but I am now $2.47 richer. :lol:
Sure wish I didn't mess up an easy (for me) Q12 in the HQ football quiz on Sunday. I used an extra life on that one, missed Q13, then had gimmes for Q14 and Q15, missing out on $57. That would have been worth the effort.
Congrats! I try to pick up the 9 PM game when I'm available; you can add me @kerryoakie. I've added most people that have listed their handle on this thread. I only have one win under my belt, but it was a cool $22
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Learned League helped me with Q12 tonight. I wouldn't have known that I Sing The Body Electric was by Walt Whitman, who was the only poet listed contemporaneous with the Civil War.
merica
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by merica »

merica wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:41 am After I don't know how many attempts, I finally conquered HQ last night. It took an extra life after missing round 9, but I am now $2.47 richer. :lol:
Look out, I now have a 2-game winning streak! They must have made the questions a little easier. Not ready to retire with the kitty up to $3.82 but I did run the table on all 12 this time.
jlgarfield

Post by jlgarfield »

I've actually played since about May. Haven't won anything so far, though.
Creed Bratton
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Creed Bratton »

Played from the beginning without winning until this week, and have won three times in the last week. Weird.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

For the benefit of Canadians:

The Canadian version of "Confetti" will debut on Facebook Watch at 5:30 PM Eastern on Monday, October 15.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:42 pm For the benefit of Canadians:

The Canadian version of "Confetti" will debut on Facebook Watch at 5:30 PM Eastern on Monday, October 15.
Oof - that is an awful time. I am typically mid commute or scrambling to feed my kids dinner then.
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by cmp146 »

boson wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:09 am
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:42 pm For the benefit of Canadians:

Oof - that is an awful time. I am typically mid commute or scrambling to feed my kids dinner then.
The revised time of 5:30 PM EDT on Wednesday October 17th is a bit better- we have 45 minutes left of figure skating lessons to watch at the arena with decent wifi. :-)
jlgarfield

Post by jlgarfield »

I've also played Confetti as well; like HQ Trivia, I have yet to win anything.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

I've won twice on Confetti. Total of $458 so far. Both times my fiancee has played beside me, so she's won too, doubling our money :mrgreen:
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

HQ seems to have taken a lead from Cash Show and is now offering a "remove one wrong answer" power-up; right now it seems the only way to get one is to have Bluetooth on and be near two other players who do too.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Confetti Canada just launched yesterday - check it out on Facebook, Canadians! Only about 200 people played yesterday and today, and winners split $5000 (US currency, for unknown reasons). Get in now while the ratio is good! I won $300 (in proper loonies) yesterday answering 10 easier-than-hq questions. Missed one today (Dan Ackroyd has not been on a stamp, unlike Mike Myers and Martin Short). Payouts are still big!

I plan to milk Zuckerberg for selling my data until this gravy train ends.
merica
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by merica »

merica wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:19 am
Look out, I now have a 2-game winning streak! They must have made the questions a little easier. Not ready to retire with the kitty up to $3.82 but I did run the table on all 12 this time.
Finally got a "bigger" win last night on the Baseball-only trivia. 25 winners, each earning $40. Also had a 1-in-25 chance of winning Game 4 World Series tickets, but alas, I did not receive that call. I'll still gladly take the 40 bills though :lol:
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

I would have never been aware Confetti existed without this thread, and I've only played twice so far, but I do hope to score a win on it eventually.

I've usually been sticking to Cash Show Monday-Wednesday, since even with what appears to be rampant botting, I can still earn a few cents per game.