HQ Trivia

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Bartleby
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: HQ Trivia

Post by Bartleby » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:21 am

jeff6286 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:10 pm
One question from Thursday's 80s edition of HQ:

"Which TV show featured the catchphrase "I pity the fool"?

Knight Rider
The A-Team
Neither

SpoilerShow
Knight Rider 467
The A-Team 76,040
(correct) Neither 4,400

Maybe the closest in my life I can recall to feeling the Mandela Effect. As explained by Scott, the phrase was used by Mr. T in Rocky III but inexplicably never said on the A-Team. I have never seen Rocky III, and can vividly remember the phrase being said all the time on the A-Team...but apparently my whole life is a lie!

I did some post-question research and found ample confirmation that indeed, despite being the phrase most associated with Mr. T throughout the 80s, he never said it on the show. I guess he was just all over various media, TV commercials, and particularly the animated Mister T show, which ran coterminously with the A-Team from 1983-85, that the two were merged in my mind.
I've only been playing the Sunday game for the last few months (won for the first time in a while this week), so I didn't see this question live. Where did it fall in the stack? I'm pretty sure I would have figured it out if it was mid to late game (you really have to look for the traps on HQ) but if it was among the first four questions, I probably would have fallen for it.
I would prefer not to.

BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!

Post by BigDaddyMatty » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:54 am

RJRouge wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:38 pm
Besides, what's to prevent any members of that chat room from using a search engine or a bot of some type after they've been eliminated, which would go against the TOS?
Search engines are legal; bots are not.
Sprinkles are for winners.

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:15 am

Bartleby wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:21 am
jeff6286 wrote:
Thu Aug 16, 2018 11:10 pm
One question from Thursday's 80s edition of HQ:

"Which TV show featured the catchphrase "I pity the fool"?

Knight Rider
The A-Team
Neither

SpoilerShow
Knight Rider 467
The A-Team 76,040
(correct) Neither 4,400

Maybe the closest in my life I can recall to feeling the Mandela Effect. As explained by Scott, the phrase was used by Mr. T in Rocky III but inexplicably never said on the A-Team. I have never seen Rocky III, and can vividly remember the phrase being said all the time on the A-Team...but apparently my whole life is a lie!

I did some post-question research and found ample confirmation that indeed, despite being the phrase most associated with Mr. T throughout the 80s, he never said it on the show. I guess he was just all over various media, TV commercials, and particularly the animated Mister T show, which ran coterminously with the A-Team from 1983-85, that the two were merged in my mind.
I've only been playing the Sunday game for the last few months (won for the first time in a while this week), so I didn't see this question live. Where did it fall in the stack? I'm pretty sure I would have figured it out if it was mid to late game (you really have to look for the traps on HQ) but if it was among the first four questions, I probably would have fallen for it.
I believe it was Question 7, so kind of in the middle. In hindsight the trap certainly seeemd obvious, as "neither" is such an odd inclusion if it's not the answer, but I don't think anything was going to talk me out of the wrong answer in this instance.

RJRouge
Valued Contributor

Post by RJRouge » Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:02 am

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:54 am
RJRouge wrote:
Besides, what's to prevent any members of that chat room from using a search engine or a bot of some type after they've been eliminated, which would go against the TOS?
Legal, but not ethical. Scott has mentioned on several occasions how it's preferable everything come out of somebody's head. The prospect of winning money seems to remove people's scruples.

I can't be the only one used to being banned from looking up answers during trivia competitions with lower stakes who gets salty about it happening there.

EDIT: Oh, I see. I left some ambiguity in that post. My fault on the sentence structure.

billiej
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by billiej » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:18 am

RJRouge wrote:
Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:02 am
BigDaddyMatty wrote:
Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:54 am
RJRouge wrote:
Legal, but not ethical. Scott has mentioned on several occasions how it's preferable everything come out of somebody's head. The prospect of winning money seems to remove people's scruples.

I can't be the only one used to being banned from looking up answers during trivia competitions with lower stakes who gets salty about it happening there.

EDIT: Oh, I see. I left some ambiguity in that post. My fault on the sentence structure.
Since it's not against the rules, I don't condemn Googlers, I just prefer not to do so myself. I'm sure I've gotten indirect search assistance through Friends Friday (which now seems defunct) and on Confetti (which also shows friends' responses). Otherwise, I take pride in earning my wins the hard way, such as they are.

merica
Valued Contributor

Post by merica » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:41 am

After I don't know how many attempts, I finally conquered HQ last night. It took an extra life after missing round 9, but I am now $2.47 richer. :lol:
Sure wish I didn't mess up an easy (for me) Q12 in the HQ football quiz on Sunday. I used an extra life on that one, missed Q13, then had gimmes for Q14 and Q15, missing out on $57. That would have been worth the effort.
How many others on here still play frequently?

kerryoakie
Valued Contributor

Post by kerryoakie » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:14 pm

merica wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:41 am
After I don't know how many attempts, I finally conquered HQ last night. It took an extra life after missing round 9, but I am now $2.47 richer. :lol:
Sure wish I didn't mess up an easy (for me) Q12 in the HQ football quiz on Sunday. I used an extra life on that one, missed Q13, then had gimmes for Q14 and Q15, missing out on $57. That would have been worth the effort.
Congrats! I try to pick up the 9 PM game when I'm available; you can add me @kerryoakie. I've added most people that have listed their handle on this thread. I only have one win under my belt, but it was a cool $22

Ironhorse
Wagering Pacifist

Post by Ironhorse » Wed Sep 12, 2018 9:15 pm

Learned League helped me with Q12 tonight. I wouldn't have known that I Sing The Body Electric was by Walt Whitman, who was the only poet listed contemporaneous with the Civil War.
Never been on J!, but once won a knockoff version that aired on local access TV.

merica
Valued Contributor

Post by merica » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:19 am

merica wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:41 am
Look out, I now have a 2-game winning streak! They must have made the questions a little easier. Not ready to retire with the kitty up to $3.82 but I did run the table on all 12 this time.

jlgarfield
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jlgarfield » Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:27 pm

I've actually played since about May. Haven't won anything so far, though.