HQ Trivia

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: HQ Trivia

Post by twelvefootboy »

boson wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:57 am I had the first game where an extra life would have helped yesterday... Missed Q11 and knew Q12.

Considering the format, I think the questions are very well written. For now I'm happy to give them 15 minutes a day. I'm surprised they haven't tried to monetize yet though.
THEY HAVE YOUR PHONE NUMBER :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Mwaaah Hah hah!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:25 am
boson wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:57 am I had the first game where an extra life would have helped yesterday... Missed Q11 and knew Q12.

Considering the format, I think the questions are very well written. For now I'm happy to give them 15 minutes a day. I'm surprised they haven't tried to monetize yet though.
Mwaaah Hah hah!
Huh. Does this make a Do Not Call loophole? (Established business relationship, though you don't buy anything from them...)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Shadows (5), Foxy Brown (7), Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Volante wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:51 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:25 am

Mwaaah Hah hah!
Huh. Does this make a Do Not Call loophole? (Established business relationship, though you don't buy anything from them...)
I assume the worst. I certainly assume the privilege to sell a list of numbers of a pretty decent market demographic. Hell, some of them have multiple dollars in winnings!

But I'm not personally phobic about these things. I'll never understand how it is possible for stuff like your medical data to be monetized. Or children's conversations through IOT toys. Or fitbit data. Or even my SS#. It's ridiculous that our system even allows credit card abuse - make the vendor take the loss and they will stop it overnight. You give out cash, goods, or services to a bogus account, you lose it all! Instead, the Credit Card issuers are happy to pass on the 1-2% fraud right back to us (indirectly), and keep looking for delinquent high interest paying suckers.

By all means, enjoy the game! When the spam shows up, just delete, delete, delete... :) It sounds like the game is getting a little better, but lets see how long it lasts.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

jeff6286 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:00 pm
SweepingDeveloper wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:30 pm Vermonter, was that you I saw in the lineup of champions tonight? Nice job, dude!
I saw him as well, nicely done. That was a brutal set.
Thanks, guys! I was playing with two friends and we had most of our categories covered (one of my friends also won). We've tried to replicate our success since then but haven't been able to recapture the magic.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

It doesn't quite count as a personal win, but after pub quiz last night, I helped one of my teammates win $22.12, the precisely same amount that I won last Sunday.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Today I learned what a contronym is, so this hasn't been a complete waste of my time.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

After winning $1.86 today, I'm glad I didn't cash out the moment I broke $20.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:33 pm After winning $1.86 today, I'm glad I didn't cash out the moment I broke $20.
I was thinking the same thing, but because today's win was on my wife's phone it wouldn't have added to my total anyway.
billiej

Post by billiej »

I won the whopping $1.86 too. Good thing I can't cash out, I'd get into big trouble blowing all that. :lol: It was fun though finally making it through.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:33 pm After winning $1.86 today, I'm glad I didn't cash out the moment I broke $20.
Well, I guess it wouldn't have been too bad if I had cashed out before today...
Attachments
9A857089-0437-4CD9-86ED-455EAF4BD895.png
9A857089-0437-4CD9-86ED-455EAF4BD895.png (38.97 KiB) Viewed 7262 times
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I just learned this, and I want to ensure the HQers among us survive if it ever comes up in a question: although he was Norwegian, Henrik Ibsen wrote his plays in Danish. Don't say I didn't warn you!
pinkfreud
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by pinkfreud »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:00 pm I just learned this, and I want to ensure the HQers among us survive if it ever comes up in a question: although he was Norwegian, Henrik Ibsen wrote his plays in Danish. Don't say I didn't warn you!
Fascinating! Although I've enjoyed performances (in English) of several Ibsen plays, I never knew this. Thanks, Stefan.
kprather895
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kprather895 »

HQ has spawned a few clones. One of which is quite a treat. Its called "The Cash Show". Just like HQ, you play 12 questions, but in The Cash Show, payouts begin at question six. The result is easier, smaller wins.

The best part for HQ fans is that each episode is one half hour after HQ: 3:30pm ET and 9:30pm ET. So you don't have to choose between the two, and you can have a fun double-header of free trivia.

If you love HQ, give The Cash Show a try!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

kprather895 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:27 pm The best part for HQ fans is that each episode is one half hour after HQ: 3:30pm ET and 9:30pm ET. So you don't have to choose between the two, and you can have a fun double-header of free trivia.
Unless HQ has technical difficulties and runs a half-hour later, like today!
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

kprather895 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:27 pm HQ has spawned a few clones. One of which is quite a treat. Its called "The Cash Show". Just like HQ, you play 12 questions, but in The Cash Show, payouts begin at question six. The result is easier, smaller wins.

The best part for HQ fans is that each episode is one half hour after HQ: 3:30pm ET and 9:30pm ET. So you don't have to choose between the two, and you can have a fun double-header of free trivia.

Thanks! Just won $15.90 US on this. The questions aren't as obscure as HQ - nor as well written, and there is no live host, but hey - I got money where I never have in HQ.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Latest notification from HQ: "We removed our minimum cashout balance! Update your app to get your money now 🤑"

(If you can't see emojis, that last thing is a smiley with dollar-sign eyes sticking out a green, dollar-signed tongue.)
merica
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by merica »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:37 pm Latest notification from HQ: "We removed our minimum cashout balance! Update your app to get your money now 🤑"

(If you can't see emojis, that last thing is a smiley with dollar-sign eyes sticking out a green, dollar-signed tongue.)
I believe the latest update also allows you to choose when to apply your extra life (if you have one).

If you want someone to try out that feature, be sure to send me an extra life when you sign up :D
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

boson wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:45 pm
kprather895 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:27 pm HQ has spawned a few clones. One of which is quite a treat. Its called "The Cash Show". Just like HQ, you play 12 questions, but in The Cash Show, payouts begin at question six. The result is easier, smaller wins.

Thanks! Just won $15.90 US on this. The questions aren't as obscure as HQ - nor as well written, and there is no live host, but hey - I got money where I never have in HQ.
Hey, yeah! I just made 20 bucks on Cash Show first time out. Over the past week or so we've been trying out HQ on Android, but the glitches were too frustrating to bear. Thanks for the great tip!
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I just got the $20 and change in Cash Show too.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Before this afternoon's game, Scott Rogowsky said that HQ will no longer require contestants to accumulate $20 in winnings before being able to cash out.