HQ Trivia

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Ironhorse
Second Banana

Re: HQ Trivia

Post by Ironhorse »

acthomas wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 10:42 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 10:35 pm
acthomas wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 8:30 pm

It's a reward for reaching Q5 last night. This is the first time I've ever seen HQ use an expiring Extra Life, so I'm guessing it's an experiment to see if it drives off-night participation.
Or to depress the total winning amounts so fewer people can reach the cash-out threshold.
Unless they changed it back, they got rid of the cash-out threshold a couple of months ago:
You appear to be correct. I tried cashing out my 16 cents as a test and it allowed it.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

On tonight’s show, the host said “we should remember what Memorial Day is about. Thanks to all who served”.

Perhaps she should learn what it is about before lecturing others.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

They found a sponsor to provide $100,000 for Game 1 of the NBA Finals, $200,000 for Game 2, and so forth, up to a potential game 7.
9021amyers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by 9021amyers »

Ironhorse wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 9:15 pm They found a sponsor to provide $100,000 for Game 1 of the NBA Finals, $200,000 for Game 2, and so forth, up to a potential game 7.
This is going to be a stinker of a series, so it would be merciful for both basketball fans and the sponsor if the Warriors could wrap things up in five.

But I won $21.42 tonight, so I can’t complain. I could actually find something useful to cash out for at that price!
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

9021amyers wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 9:27 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 9:15 pm They found a sponsor to provide $100,000 for Game 1 of the NBA Finals, $200,000 for Game 2, and so forth, up to a potential game 7.
This is going to be a stinker of a series, so it would be merciful for both basketball fans and the sponsor if the Warriors could wrap things up in five.

But I won $21.42 tonight, so I can’t complain. I could actually find something useful to cash out for at that price!
I won as well! Congrats. Look out dhk and Paul Paquet - I'm coming for you!

There is the possibility of some really large cash to be won during this sponsored series of games. That is a ridiculous amount of money for one silly app to sponsor another one with. This is unsustainable - grab winnings while you can.

(ps. I'm robknobel on HQ - add me as a friend)
hscer

Post by hscer »

Another jboard HQ winner here, my first ever. Amazing that my favorite movie ever was the subject of question 12 (was also the theme of a TD I did a ways back)
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I too won, though with a WAG on question 12.

The Cavs look very competitive through the first half of Game 1 so here's hoping. I imagine the Death Lineup will get in gear shortly though.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

Ironhorse wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 10:10 pm I too won, though with a WAG on question 12.

The Cavs look very competitive through the first half of Game 1 so here's hoping. I imagine the Death Lineup will get in gear shortly though.
There’s no guarantee Iggy will be healthy enough to suit up this series, so they can’t depend on Lineup of Death to get them out of trouble.

Come on, promised sports spinoff...
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Are the questions and answers logged somewhere? I'm curious about the difficulty levels.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

alietr wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:53 am Are the questions and answers logged somewhere? I'm curious about the difficulty levels.
I believe Sg is cataloging them for himself, but I'm not aware (caveat: I haven't really looked) of a public compendium.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

teapot37 wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:33 am
alietr wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:53 am Are the questions and answers logged somewhere? I'm curious about the difficulty levels.
I believe Sg is cataloging them for himself, but I'm not aware (caveat: I haven't really looked) of a public compendium.
https://hqtriviaarchive.com/

I just found this now, and I'm a little disappointed it gives the correct answers with the questions.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

teapot37 wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:33 am
I started (and stopped) transcribing questions a while ago, and if I ever finish, I'll probably just dump it to pastebin.

Also, I decided last night not to bother taking screenshots of the sports games' questions.
kettledrum
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kettledrum »

Here's a good archive that doesn't give the answers with the questions. I'm not sure how far back it goes.

http://hqbuff.com/

Still looking to build off of my single $0.85 win a while back....
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Just won HQ for the first time! $2.60 :|
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Still looking for my first HQ win. I've gotten to Q12 once, and Q11 twice. Close, but no cigar.

By the way, did anyone else see the story about Scott Rogowsky's appearance on Yahoo Sports' "Old Baseball Cards" show? He's a die-hard NY Mets fan (as I was growing up in NJ), so we have that in common:

https://sports.yahoo.com/hqs-scott-rogo ... 52970.html
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Finally broke my maiden to claim a whopping $1.49.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Lauren from that viral video has done all right since her win on HQ. Earlier this year she was on Ellen (no last name required) and won $5,000 + an extra $11.30 matching her HQ win. Yesterday she was on the show again and got the honor of being the guest DJ with tWitch away. She's done all right with her 15 minutes of fame.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Woohoo - 70 bucks tonight! I like these big payout HQ episodes. :mrgreen:
hscer

Post by hscer »

I was unlucky tonight as I was a split-second late trying to tap the Goodfellas answer. I was lucky in that they just yesterday released the Android extra life update. (If you don't know it, swipe up with two fingers, rapidly and multiple times, from the gray extra lives heart.) I got lucky again on the Sam Cooke question, in that "Sentimental Reasons" was the first answer, hence the only one I was able to look up (if the game creators don't frown on it, I won't), and it was right. Overall tonight had more easy questions than usual, including Q12, but they sort of made up for it with two questions that eliminated a ton of players. (I had to look up ye-ye too, but figured it would be weird to name something after both Oxford and Cambridge.)
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

My first win came this evening (though I've only been playing again for less than a week) for $3.02.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan