Tuesday, December 12, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, December 12, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7652, 2017-12-12

CONTESTANTS
Sarah Woodring, a crafter from Sturgis, Kentucky
Ian Shin, a professor from Lewiston, Maine
LaKedra Pam, a physician from Baton Rouge, Louisiana (whose 1-day cash winnings total $24,801)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Hey, it's deja vu all over again. Last week began with a big win for a brand new champion. This week began with a big win for a brand-new champion in LaKedra. Let's see what happens now that Ian and Sarah have joined us. Good luck. Here we go. Categories in this first round of play today are...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
HOLIDAY SONGS (5/5)
ANAGRAMMED STATE CAPITALS (5/5)
GOOD CAUSES (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
MAN MAKES THE CLOTHES (4/4)
"DOUBLE" FEATURE (4/5)
ROBERT SIEGEL SIGNS OFF (4/5) (Alex: The long-time host of NPR's All Things Considered is stepping down this January.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
LaKedra: 15 R (including 3 rebounds), 1 W (including 1 DD)
Ian: 6 R, 2 W
Sarah: 5 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,200

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
LaKedra found the Daily Double on the 2nd clue. LaKedra had $200, Ian was scoreless, and Sarah had a deficit with -$200. LaKedra wagered $1,000.

GOOD CAUSES $400: J. Robert Atkinson, blinded in an accident, founded this inst. after transcribing books for his own library
(LaKedra: What is Gallaudet?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
LaKedra: $6,200
Ian: $800
Sarah: -$200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Sarah Woodring is from Sturgis, Kentucky, and she's an avid sports fan. And what's this about superstitions relating to the teams you follow?

Sarah: Well, particularly with Kentucky basketball. College basketball is a huge thing in Kentucky.

Alex: Oh, yes.

Sarah: And one of the superstitions we have is that if someone leaves the room, and the team goes on a run, starts scoring a lot of points, the person can't come back to the room. 'Cause the idea is that the team started doing well when that person left, so they can't come back until, like, something bad happens with the team.

Alex: But they wouldn't know that the team has done well.

Sarah: They would. You just tell 'em to stay out of the room, you know, "We've gone on a run," and that's the superstitions. Maybe it's based on that.

Alex: All right. Good for you. It's helped the teams. They've done well over the years.

Alex: Ian Shin, professor from Lewiston, Maine. You're big with Legos, aren't you?

Ian: I am. When I started teaching at Bates College last year, I decided that I would decorate my office with Legos. And I would buy one set a month, to pace myself. And I say that I'd keep them for students who are nervous or upset, so they can fidget with something, but they're actually for me.

[Laughter]

Alex: For you. Good for you.

Alex: LaKedra Pam, an OB-GYN physician who works in prisons also. Tell me about that.

LaKedra: So I work for the Louisiana State University system, and part of that involves taking care of women who are incarcerated in the state prison. I do normal Well Woman check-ups and things like that, but I also do prenatal care for women who are incarcerated while in prison--while pregnant.

Alex: All right. Good for you.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ROBERT SIEGEL SIGNS OFF $800: (Robert Siegel reads the clue.) I've done interviews about the craft of acting with giants from George Clooney to Stacy Keach; I fed Stacy the line "The queen, my lord, is dead" & he recited a speech from this tragedy

"DOUBLE" FEATURE $400: It's the musical symbol indicated here

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
LaKedra: $8,400
Ian: $2,200
Sarah: $2,200
Last edited by Archivists on Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, December 12, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
MAMMAL PLANET (4/4)
____ING ON POETRY (2/5)
SCENES FROM AN ITALIAN RESTAURANT (4/5)
"IM" THE LAW (4/5)
EUROPEAN HISTORY (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
5, 5 (3/4, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Alex: Each correct response will be two words, five letters each.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
LaKedra: 7 R, 0 W
Ian: 8 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Sarah: 5 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 3 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 8
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $13,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Ian snagged the next Daily Double on the 13th clue. LaKedra had $10,000, Ian had $7,800, and Sarah had a deficit with -$600. Ian wagered $3,000.

EUROPEAN HISTORY $1200: Following a military coup, in the mid-1970s this nation granted independence to all of its colonies except Macau

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Sarah who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 21st clue. LaKedra had $12,000, Ian had $11,200, and Sarah had a deficit with -$200. Sarah wagered $1,000.

5, 5 $1200: Named for a frontiersman, it has a blade curved to a sharp point at the end

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
____ING ON POETRY $800: "Something there is that doesn't love a ____"

____ING ON POETRY $1600: "With his cruel bow he laid full low the harmless ____"
(Sarah: What is arrow?)
(Alex: "Rime of the Ancient Mariner".)

SCENES FROM AN ITALIAN RESTAURANT $1600: In the final scene of this film, Secondo makes a frittata for brother Primo in the Paradise restaurant
(Sarah: What is Cinema Paradiso?)

EUROPEAN HISTORY $1600: England had 3 kings in 1483: Edward IV, Edward V & Richard III, all members of this dynastic house

EUROPEAN HISTORY $2000: After landing at this town south of Rome in Jan. 1944, Allied troops were pinned in the area until they broke through in May
(Sarah: What is Tripoli?)

5, 5 $2000: In a recording studio, it's an electronic cue to help the musicians keep time

____ING ON POETRY $2000: "Oh, weep for ____! Though our tears thaw not the frost"

"IM" THE LAW $2000: 2 "IM"s in a row are in this sentencing statement regarding the awful results of a crime
(Alex: We have less than a minute now.)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
LaKedra: $15,600
Ian: $11,600
Sarah: $2,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FRENCH CITIES

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Two-thirds for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
LaKedra: Wager $7,601 to cover Ian, but no more than $11,599 so as not to fall behind Sarah's doubled score. If you're a fan of shoretegic wagering, you might risk $3,601.
Ian: You'll want to wager between $0 (venusian) and $3,600 (martian), and you'll win the game if LaKedra wagers enough and gets it wrong.
Sarah: Unfortunately, your score is less than the difference between the scores of the first and second place players, so unless they both blunder, you're competing for second place and have no hopes of first. Wager as much as you desire, but remember, you'll have better chances of advancing to second place if you have a larger sum left over on a Triple Stumper.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The name of this city in the Département du Nord comes from the Flemish for "church of the dunes"

FINAL SCORES
Sarah: $2,000 - $1,999 = $1 (What is [illegible]) (3rd place: $1,000)
Ian: $11,600 - $7,599 = $4,001 (What is Bordeaux?) (2nd place: $2,000)
LaKedra: $15,600 - $7,601 = $7,999 (What is Normandy?) (2-day champion: $32,800)
(Alex: [To LaKedra] Comes from the Flemish for "church." The Flemish for church is kerk.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $14,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
LaKedra: $16,600, 22 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Ian: $9,800, 14 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Sarah: $2,200, 10 R (including 1 DD), 4 W
Combined Coryat: $28,600

BATTING AVERAGES
LaKedra: 22/59 = .373
Ian: 14/59 = .237
Sarah: 10/59 = .169
Team: 46/63 = .730

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
GOOD CAUSES $200: The group "Helping" these animals works to save them from poaching for their horns, an illegal commodity in Asia
(Sarah: What are elephants?)

GOOD CAUSES $800: Here's the logo of the NRDC, this Defense Council

ANAGRAMMED STATE CAPITALS $1000: I NEED MOSS
[Applause for LaKedra running the category]

HOLIDAY SONGS $600: You better not do these 2 things because "Santa Claus Is Coming To Town"
(Ian: What are shout and cry?)

ROBERT SIEGEL SIGNS OFF $200: (Robert Siegel reads the clue.) One memento I've kept is a framed chip of this; I was rushed to the scene in November 1989 to cover its stunning fall

ROBERT SIEGEL SIGNS OFF $400: (Robert Siegel reads the clue.) I always had fun interviewing the other Robert Siegel, who edited the Onion & wrote the movie "The Founder" about this hamburger tycoon

ROBERT SIEGEL SIGNS OFF $600: (Robert Siegel reads the clue.) On January 20, 1981, the day Ronald Reagan was sworn in, I was in West Germany covering this other big story, the end of a 14-month crisis

ROBERT SIEGEL SIGNS OFF $1000: (Robert Siegel reads the clue.) I was NPR's first journalist based overseas, sent to London in 1979 not for "All Things Considered" but to prepare for the launch of this show at the other end of the day
(Alex: And our thanks to Robert Siegel, and we wish him good luck as he leaves All Things Considered.)

MAN MAKES THE CLOTHES $400: Wallets and watches, as well as clothes, are part of the line of this designer

MAN MAKES THE CLOTHES $600: Known for his A-line silhouette, this Frenchman also had a sense of smell, with a 1964 fragrance simply called "Y"
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

"DOUBLE" FEATURE $1000: George Orwell called it "a vast system of mental cheating"
(Ian: What is doublespeak?)

"DOUBLE" FEATURE $200: Damage to the cornea may be the culprit if you experience this in one eye
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

EUROPEAN HISTORY $800: During World War I, the fact that this wife of the tsar was a German princess by birth helped make the royals unpopular

5, 5 $800: Colorful expression for what the person here is said to have

MAMMAL PLANET $1600: Resembling the leopard, this New World cat is a great swimmer & can hunt in water, but prefers an ambush from land, disabling its prey with a bite from its powerful jaws
(Alex: And you can see more of Big Cat Week all this week on Nat Geo WILD.)

MAMMAL PLANET $1200: The heart rate of this animal AKA a woodchuck decreases from 75 beats a minute to 4 during hibernation
(Ian: What's a beaver?)
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
the Braille Institute
Macbeth
a double sharp
Portugal
a Bowie knife
wall
albatross
Big Night
York
Anzio
a click track
Adonais
a victim impact statement
Dunkirk
rhinos
natural resources
Des Moines
cry and pout
the Berlin Wall
Ray Kroc
the Tehran hostage crisis (or the release of the hostages in Iran)
Morning Edition
(Michael) Kors
Yves Saint Laurent
doublethink
double vision
Alexandra
a green thumb
a jaguar
a groundhog
Last edited by Archivists on Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FRENCH CITIES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The name of this city in the Département du Nord comes from the Flemish for “Church of the Dunes”

LaKedra Pam: 15600-7601=7999 (2x = $32,800)
Ian Shin: 11600-7599=4001
Sarah Woodring: 2000-1999=1

Correct response:
Spoiler
Dunkirk (LaKedra – Normandy) (Ian – Bordeaux) (Sarah – What is [scribbling])

Daily Doubles
LaKedra: 200-1000
Ian: 7800+3000
Sarah: minus 200 +1000

Coryats
LaKedra: 16600
Ian: 9800
Sarah: 2200

Combined: 28,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
LaKedra: 8400
Ian: 2200
Sarah: 2200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

LaKedra certainly earned the applause for running ANAGRAMMED STATE CAPITALS. I can never do it from the comfort of home and she did it on stage.

Hmm. If LaKedra bets for Ian doubling that is 23,200. If she adds a buck that makes her wager 7,601. If you take away 7,601 from LaKedra’s 15,600 that leaves her with 7,999. Does Ian bet to be at 8000 or higher on a miss? Nope. But he did make sure Sarah could not beat him as he stayed just above 2000 doubling.

No chance for me on the FJ! clue. I did high school French translation of “church” to get église. Never heard of that city. I then went for the pope path and wrote Avignon. As for any place in France including Paris and other than Nice or Marseille any pin the tail on the map work would be a blind guess. Looks like I was only about 1,000 miles off.
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

This Final reminded me of a TOC Final from 2015:

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5104

I've also seen the movie, so this fortified my answer right away.
Leander

Post by Leander »

If I hadn’t misread Flemish as French, I might have gotten this FJ, instead of fruitlessly going down the “eglise” path.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a draw for the Weak Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "small." --Bob
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

All three players got "good for you"s from Alex after their interviews. Rejoice.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran the Anagrammed and Double categories, and got all but "I'll Be Home for Christmas" in Holiday Songs.

Why did the Robert clues "zoom in" like the other clues, just to show the contestants again?

Those poetry clues were very obscure IMO. I knew "bridge of sighs" (not "size") from "776 Stupidest Things Ever Said", but NHO the rest.

Lach Trash: double sharp, click track. I thought "double sharp" was very tough relative to the other ones. I'm a nearly lifelong piano player and I've only seen them a handful of times.

My precall was that FJ! would be a NHOI for me, since I've kinda been on a roll there lately. I know there's something called Dunkirk, but not what. Even Alex saying "kirk" had me stumped.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:28 pm I thought "double sharp" was very tough relative to the other ones. I'm a nearly lifelong piano player and I've only seen them a handful of times.
I thought that was quite undervalued, too.

For FJ, I just went straight to Flemish -- Dutch -- kirk -- done(kirk). :)
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Instaget FJ. In the past I would've played with the words and maybe figured it out. Then came that Kierkegaard FJ a while back, which prompted me to look up whether Dunkirk had a similar etymology, so I knew this factoid cold.
hscer

Post by hscer »

German and Flemish are close enough, and Dunes starts with "Dun" to boot. Ian's wager definitely confused me, although seeing it be above Sarah's doubled score does explain it.
Now Completed: TD 224 - Airplane!
Coming Eventually: hscer's 3rd TD

Twitter: http://twitter.com/hscer
Sporcle: http://www.sporcle.com/user/hscer
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Yeha, I'm kind of flabbergasted that this was a triple stumper. Church -> kirk -> Dunkirk.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

R: 27, W: 2, costing 2000
Coryat: 18,200
FJ!: :(
LT: double sharp, (braille)

Why, oh, why can't J! ask real questions about State Capitals? Apparently, that's in their charter or something, because they never seem to do that. At least I managed to get one. Thank you, letter X.

No chance on FJ for me. I guessed that Flemish might be close to German, but knowing Kirche (thank you, Herr Bohner) didn't help me get to the answer. You'd need to know that Flemish uses a hard "ch" where German uses a soft "ch", then switch to the French side of Flemish for "dune", then reverse the order. That's a long way to go for the solve. (Yes, a bit of post mortem googling was involved here.) That, or you'd need to know French geography and guess the right city in northern France. Definitely a tough question today.

On further reflection, simply reversing the English from "church of the dunes" to "dune church" might get you there. I'll have to keep that path in mind in the future. Knowing a smattering of foreign languages is always helpful in J!, but simply putting words in different orders might be enough.

Ian seemed to be more concerned about staying ahead of Sarah than staying ahead of LaKedra. His wager kept him ahead of Sarah for 2nd place rather than wagering 3599 to stay ahead of LaKedra if both he and LaKedra were wrong. Had he wagered correctly, he would have won today.

I am happy to see LaKedra win another game. She had a strong game again today, even while Ian was giving her a run for her money.
--Peter
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

29 right.

Holiday (3), State (3), Good (0), Clothes (2), "Double" (1), Siegel (4)
Mammal (2), Poetry (1), Italian (3), "IM" (3), European (4), 5,5 (3)

Lach Trash: Macbeth, House of York

Instaget FJ. A combination of three things: knowing that Dunkirk was in the north, "dunes", and I was also thinking of Kirche and Kierkegaard, as some users above have mentioned.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Looks like the FJs leveled up. Could not get this one. Wandering around Brittany, never got to Dunkirk. I got double sharp, but agree it seems undervalued for the second row. Answered guide vocal for click track.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I will be checking "I saw the movie Dunkirk" on the weekly poll, but I did not get this FJ. My precalls were Nice, Le Havre, and Carcasonne, but the clue did nothing for me. I at least now know that Flemish is related to Dutch.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

"Iran Hostage Crisis" should never have been accepted for what occured on 01-20-81. No BMS was utter bullsh*t.
Tybalteon
Valued Contributor

Post by Tybalteon »

I knew that "church" in Dutch was "kerk" and made the connection to Dunkirk at the very end since Dutch is related to Flemish. Challenging clue though!

I can't wait to see more from LaKedra tomorrow! She's a lot of fun and I hope she continues doing well
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Ian. Buddy. Ouch. You strike me as a guy who's going to play with the figures afterwards and realize what happened. That one's going to hurt for a while.

This was not my night to try unjumbling state capitals. Really impressed by LaKedra's run.