Wednesday, December 13, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, December 13, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7653, 2017-12-13

CONTESTANTS
Bryce Johnson, an analytics manager from Evanston, Illinois
Rachel Schemmel, a teacher from Ridgewood, New Jersey
LaKedra Pam, a physician from Baton Rouge, Louisiana (whose 2-day cash winnings total $32,800)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, and welcome. The Ides of December--will they be good or bad for our players today? Bryce, Rachel and LaKedra--welcome, good luck. Jeopardy! Round begins now. Here are the categories for you...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THEY SAY IT KEEPS YOU SHARP (5/5)
CONGRESSIONAL POWERS (5/5)
TV REBOOTS & REVIVALS (4/5)
SHAKESPEARE PLAY BY GRADUALLY EASIER CHARACTER (5/5)
ROBERTS' RULES (3/5)
OF "ORDER" (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Bryce: 13 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
LaKedra: 10 R, 0 W
Rachel: 4 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Bryce found the Daily Double on the 4th clue. LaKedra had $400, Rachel had $200, and Bryce was at $600. Bryce wagered $1,000.

OF "ORDER" $800: Originally observed in hens, it's the social hierarchy in animal groups

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Bryce: $5,600
LaKedra: $1,800
Rachel: -$200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Bryce Johnson is from Evanston, Illinois. And he is lucky to be with us here today, because I understand your wife almost set you on fire at your wedding?

Bryce: This is true. My wife, Purvi, and I had a traditional Indian wedding, which has a fire up on the altar. And at certain parts of the wedding, she was supposed to put a couple drops of butter into the fire, but she misheard and was putting in tablespoons at a time, so we had a burning cauldron of butter, kind of, by the end of the ceremony. It smelled delicious, but was a bit more dangerous than I expected.

Alex: But you didn't catch fire?

Bryce: No, I'm totally fine.

Alex: Close.

Bryce: A little bit.

Alex: But no cigar. All right.

Alex: Rachel Schemmel from Ridgewood, New Jersey is a teacher who also does work in her spare time as what?

Rachel: On the side, I do some color and style analysis work. I advise women on the internet about what the best colors and lines are that harmonize with the natural colors and lines of the body.

Alex: Well, good for you. You've got two occupations going.

Alex: LaKedra Pam has one occupation. She is an OB-GYN physician. This past baseball season, there was a players' week in which the guys could use their nicknames and also any kind of socks they wanted to wear. And there were some really crazy socks. You collect those kinds of things.

LaKedra: I do, yes, because I have to wear scrubs a lot as an OB-GYN, so usually my socks are the only part of my outfit where I can express myself. So I have about 50 pairs of all kinds of crazy patterns and colors.

Alex: Terrific.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
TV REBOOTS & REVIVALS $1000: Original star Tori Spelling was also in the 2016 remake of this cult classic, a staple of the Lifetime Movie Network
(Rachel: What is 90210?)

ROBERTS' RULES $400: Robert of Courtenay, Latin emperor of this Byzantine city, was forced to flee at the end of his life

ROBERTS' RULES $1000: Robert the Wise was King of Naples but spent 1319 to 1324 in this French town then allied with the papacy

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Bryce: $8,800
LaKedra: $5,000
Rachel: $1,000
Last edited by Archivists on Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, December 13, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THAT'S AMAZING! (5/5)
ASIAN RIVERS (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
WEBBY AWARDS 5-WORD ACCEPTANCE SPEECHES (4/5)
RELIGION (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MUSIC DOC SUBJECTS (2/5)
CONTRONYMS (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Bryce: 10 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W (including 1 DD)
LaKedra: 10 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Rachel: 5 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
LaKedra snagged the next Daily Double on the 15th clue. LaKedra had $10,600, Rachel had $3,800, and Bryce was at $14,400. LaKedra wagered $1,600.

RELIGION $1600: Omni & 1 Nephi are part of this foundational text

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Bryce who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 23rd clue. LaKedra had $15,000, Rachel had $5,800, and Bryce was at $14,800. Bryce wagered $4,000.

ASIAN RIVERS $800: From its source in Turkey's Lake Hazar, it travels south to Al Qurna, Iraq where it becomes part of the Shatt al Arab
(Bryce: What is the Euphrates?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
WEBBY AWARDS 5-WORD ACCEPTANCE SPEECHES $1200: This comic & "Baskets" clown:
"How am I on time?"

MUSIC DOC SUBJECTS $400: The 4-hour "Long Strange Trip"

MUSIC DOC SUBJECTS $1200: "Shut Up & Sing", from a group not ready to make nice

MUSIC DOC SUBJECTS $1600: "I'll Be Me", a country legend struggling with Alzheimer's on a farewell tour
(Alex: He died this past year.)

ASIAN RIVERS $2000: Indonesia's longest river, the Kapuas, flows around 700 miles on this, the world's third-largest island

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Bryce: $18,000
LaKedra: $16,200
Rachel: $5,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD LITERATURE

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Bryce: Wager $14,401 to cover LaKedra. If you feel like using Shoretegy, try wagering $2,801.
LaKedra: Your score is within 4/5ths of Bryce's, so wager between $3,601 (venusian) and $4,599 (martian), beating Bryce's maximum safe bet of the difference between your scores while still covering against a doubled score on Rachel's part.
Rachel: There's no way you can cover a rational wager by LaKedra, but if LaKedra decides for some reason to wager everything, you can eke out a win on a Triple Stumper if you wager no more than $2,200.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In a 1967 novel this Nobel Prize winner wrote, "The secret of a good old age is simply an honorable pact with solitude"

FINAL SCORES
Rachel: $5,800 - $5,800 = $0 (Who is Singer) (3rd place: $1,000)
LaKedra: $16,200 + $13,000 = $29,200 (Who is Garcia Marquez?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Bryce: $18,000 + $14,401 = $32,401 (Who is Marquez?) (New champion: $32,401)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $8,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Bryce: $21,800, 23 R (including 1 DD), 1 W (including 1 DD)
LaKedra: $16,200, 20 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Rachel: $5,800, 9 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $43,800

BATTING AVERAGES
Bryce: 24/60 = .400
LaKedra: 21/59 = .356
Rachel: 9/58 = .155
Team: 54/63 = .857

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
CONTRONYMS $2000: To delay a trial you ask for one of these, but it can also mean to just keep going
(LaKedra: What is stay?)
[Originally ruled incorrect; ruled correct before the first Daily Double]

THAT'S AMAZING! $800: (Sarah of the Clue Crew demonstrates.) Thanks to a phenomenon known as total internal reflection, you can trap a laser beam inside a stream of water, the same principle that enables this type of cable to carry your internet or TV signal

MUSIC DOC SUBJECTS $2000: "Time is Illmatic", about the making of this rapper's debut album

THAT'S AMAZING! $1600: (Kelly of the Clue Crew demonstrates.) Stretch a coil of nitinol, then put it in hot water, & it returns to its original form; made of nickel & titanium, it's a shape memory one of these metallic mixtures

ASIAN RIVERS $1200: We've hijacked a view of this huge seaport from its Garden Bridge over Suzhou Creek

ASIAN RIVERS $1600: This river's most notable tributaries, including the Ravi & Sutlej, are located in the Punjab plain
(LaKedra: What is the Ganges?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
pecking order
Mother, May I Sleep With Danger?
Constantinople
Avignon
the Book of Mormon
the Tigris
Zach Galifianakis
the Grateful Dead
the Dixie Chicks
Glen Campbell
Borneo
Gabriel García Márquez
a continuance (or stay)
a fiber optic cable
Nas
an alloy
Shanghai
the Indus
Last edited by Archivists on Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD LITERATURE

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In a 1967 novel this Nobel Prize winner wrote, “The secret of a good old age is simply an honorable pact with solitude”

LaKedra Pam: 16200+13000=29200
Rachel Schemmel: 5800-5800=0
Bryce Johnson: 18000+14401=32401 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Gabriel García Márquez (Rachel – Singer)

Daily Doubles
Bryce: 600+1000
LaKedra: 10600+1600
Bryce: 14800-4000

Coryats
LaKedra: 16200
Rachel: 5800
Bryce: 21800

Combined: 43,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
LaKedra: 5000
Rachel: 1000
Bryce: 8800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MUSIC DOC SUBJECTS was won by the writers with three TS clues and two correct by LaKedra. Two for me getting the country trio and the deceased male.

On DD2 LaKedra bet box value 1600 when she trailed by 3800 with half the board remaining. She had an easy quick solve there and more courage in that spot would have got her to a third victory.

Bryce played DD3 at clue 23 and trailed by just 200. In a closer scenario and with fewer clues remaining he went aggressive with 4000. He missed it and dropped to 10800, yet showed how easy it is to recover as he added 7200 to his score in those 7 remaining clues. Ball game!

Sometimes I can’t even explain what goes through my head during the FJ! clue think time. I wrote Sartre. Come on, Mark. The word “solitude” was right there in the wording. That’s just giving one away.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a loss for the Strong Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "big." --Bob
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:40 pm
Sometimes I can’t even explain what goes through my head during the FJ! clue think time. I wrote Sartre. Come on, Mark. The word “solitude” was right there in the wording. That’s just giving one away.
Nothing was coming to me for this FJ, but upon the reveal, I realized "solitude" was the giveaway. D'oh!

I know there's been a fair amount of discussion here about buzzer technique. Today we saw Rachel start with an approach reminiscent of "Press your Luck" or "Sale of the Century." It didn't seem to be working for her, and she ditched it by the second segment. She battled back somewhat with a more traditional one-handed method, but I think the lesson is, if you're a J! hopeful, get to know your "Palm Hoopty" well in advance. Print up the Rifleman's Creed and substitute "signalling device." Do it now.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

"Solitude" took me on a wrong path initially; I thought it was referring to someone in solitude, like a prisoner, as in One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich , and therefore, Alexander Solzhenitsyn - except how could they ever expect people to come up with the spelling? :ugeek: (Even Jeopardy writers couldn't be that cruel - and it turns out the year was slightly off).

So, is there another "Solitude" in some title? Ok, Garcia Marquez.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

squarekara wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:34 pm It didn't seem to be working for her, and she ditched it by the second segment. She battled back somewhat with a more traditional one-handed method, but I think the lesson is, if you're a J! hopeful, get to know your "Palm Hoopty" well in advance. Print up the Rifleman's Creed and substitute "signalling device." Do it now.
Are you sure it was "ditched" and not "Glenn and/or Maggie said you can't do that"?
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:33 pm
squarekara wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:34 pm It didn't seem to be working for her, and she ditched it by the second segment. She battled back somewhat with a more traditional one-handed method, but I think the lesson is, if you're a J! hopeful, get to know your "Palm Hoopty" well in advance. Print up the Rifleman's Creed and substitute "signalling device." Do it now.
Are you sure it was "ditched" and not "Glenn and/or Maggie said you can't do that"?
No, not sure. One would think there'd be sufficient time in the practice rounds to work out the kinks, but who knows? If they didn't say "you can't," they might've said "try something else," or maybe they didn't have to.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

squarekara wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:08 pm
No, not sure. One would think there'd be sufficient time in the practice rounds to work out the kinks, but who knows? If they didn't say "you can't," they might've said "try something else," or maybe they didn't have to.
I almost get the sense that Rachel likely was at sea the whole time and may have tried the two-handed buzzer as a last resort in the first 15 clues.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I read One Hundred Years of Solitude over the summer and got this correct instantly, not that you needed to know anything about the book to get it correct. I didn't really care for the book.

I also had "stay" for that clue, so I liked the reversal. I had "subpar" for the golf/computer question, but that would be someone good at golf and bad at computers.

surprised at the Constantinople stand and stare.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Rachel definitely had bad luck in drawing opponents.

No chance for me as I was in the wrong part of the world with Solzhenitsyn. Obvious upon reveal.

Good game to watch as it went down to the last clue.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Floundered on FJ. It seemed like a vaguely Salinger-esque thing to write so I went with that. Realized too late that "World Literature" implied a non-US author. NHO Marquez or the quoted work.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:09 pm
squarekara wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:08 pm
I almost get the sense that Rachel likely was at sea the whole time and may have tried the two-handed buzzer as a last resort in the first 15 clues.
Maybe they'll introduce a whack-a-mole style bonus speed round one day.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:09 pmI almost get the sense that Rachel likely was at sea the whole time and may have tried the two-handed buzzer as a last resort in the first 15 clues.
She rang in with that technique on the very first clue. I thought it was interesting and wondered if it would continue to work for her. So I was alert to the motion and watched it happen over many failed ring-in attempts throughout the round.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

R: 21, W: 0
FJ!: :(
Coryat: 18,000

The Glen Campbell clue really annoyed me because I knew about the song and his situation, but couldn't pull his name up in time.

FJ! - I didn't have a chance. Would have wagered nothing based on the category alone, then spent the think time coming up with some kind of clever response. Maybe "Why did I hate literature so much in high school?"

I liked the J! round nod to one of last week's FJ answers. Very clever, these writers.

FJ! wagering: based on the responses, it didn't matter. But LaKadra overwagered by my math, which showed a max wager for her of 10,399 (to keep from falling below Rachel on a TS). Alternatively, her max would be 4599 to stay ahead of a double by Rachel and a neg by her and Bryce.
--Peter
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Only LaKedra gave a fully correct response for FJ. Bryce's incomplete response got him full credit and a return engagement. I think they do this consistently with Hispanic surnames, so Bryce won within the established rules and I don't object to that. (In fact, I'd have been incensed if they hadn't given him credit, given the precedents.) I just object to the established rules.

My first thought on FJ for some reason was Kipling. But I knew he wasn't writing novels in the 1960s! On another night, I'd have been like other hapless boardies, spinning my wheels and noticing the TOM too late. Tonight, I actually saw the TOM after about 5 seconds and mentally wrote down García Márquez with a great deal of confidence. (Well, ok, I didn't include the accents.)
Last edited by opusthepenguin on Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Good game all around but I'm quite bummed LaKedra couldn't stick around - I liked her a lot! Regardless, congrats to Bryce on taking out a strong champ.

Instagot Final despite knowing nothing else about the book. :lol: ... Locked in on Solitude immediately and took a half second to make the connection to Marquez so I'm 3/3 this week. Kind of surprised to see a bunch of folks call a miss on this Final but I absolutely understand simply overthinking it.

No problem scooping up the two country music clues either - curious to see how either would do in a poll.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
Golf

Post by Golf »

Peter the accountant wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:59 pm FJ! wagering: based on the responses, it didn't matter. But LaKadra overwagered by my math, which showed a max wager for her of 10,399 (to keep from falling below Rachel on a TS). Alternatively, her max would be 4599 to stay ahead of a double by Rachel and a neg by her and Bryce.
$10399 is horrible, why allow third place a chance? Any wager between $1801 and $4599 is acceptable. In theory, if confident in the category you wager $4599, otherwise $1801.
Last edited by Golf on Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

NHO any of those "order"s except "mail order bride".

Also didn't recognize anything in Robert's Rules either.

Hacker is a golf term?!

Webby felt like it was upside down. I thought the bottom two were far easier than the top ones.

Those first two Music Doc clues were also very tough IMO.

Lach Trash: Dixie Chicks, Glen Campbell

Yet another FJ! where I've NHO the correct response as far as I know.