Thursday, December 14, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, December 14, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by davey »

Elijah Baley wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:26 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:06 am
John Boy wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:59 am never heard about John Cleese's affinity for lemurs. Ask me what animal (esp. in tropical climes) he wants to help, I guess parrot every time. Oh well.
He's only interested in dead parrots.
E's probably pining for the fjords!

And I thought that the three TS for Steinbeck was kind of embarrassing for the guys - their middle school English teachers probably spent the rest of the evening sobbing. And yet Craig knew Leviathan before Alex finished reading the clue. The vagaries of trivia, I guess.
I thought David Hume was an impressive get for Craig too...I had no problem getting 5/5 on Steinbeck, though I've only read TGoW... (and also In Dubious Battle, so I would have been set if that came up...!) and a teacher read us The Red Pony when I was in grade school. I knew Cannery Row because there was a movie in the '80s with Nick Nolte and Debra Winger...I never saw it either but I read reviews and I remember Nolte played a character named Doc...Come to think of it, I probably read Of Mice and Men too - I know I've seen the play/movies...

I can't remember the last time I thought about the Goodyear blimp...that's my excuse for not getting any farther than Akron = tire on this one.. and since that seemed unlikely, a vague awareness that aviation was in the picture...thinking it must be something newfangled, I ended up with drone...
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

davey wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:21 pm and a teacher read us The Red Pony when I was in grade school.
Yikes, that's some harsh subject matter for grade schoolers.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:38 pm
davey wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:21 pm and a teacher read us The Red Pony when I was in grade school.
No kidding. I'm a HUGE Steinbeck fan, and I cannot handle "The Red Pony."
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

At my middle school, we read The Red Pony and The Pearl Fishers in 6th or 7th grade.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

John Boy wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:59 am never heard about John Cleese's affinity for lemurs. Ask me what animal (esp. in tropical climes) he wants to help, I guess parrot every time. Oh well.
He's not dead. He's restin'.
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

squarekara wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:41 pm
No kidding. I'm a HUGE Steinbeck fan, and I cannot handle "The Red Pony."
We read The Red Pony and The Pearl from Steinbeck in middle school, and Of Mice and Men early in high school. I gotta imagine a lot of the themes/nuances went over my head then.
davey

Post by davey »

Elijah Baley wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:44 pm
At my middle school, we read The Red Pony and The Pearl Fishers in 6th or 7th grade.
It's The Pearl. The Pearl Fishers is an opera by Bizet...
davey

Post by davey »

They made us tough back then...
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

davey wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:06 pm
Elijah Baley wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:44 pm
It's The Pearl. The Pearl Fishers is an opera by Bizet...
D'oh. Well, middle school was a long time ago.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

R: 26, W: 6, costing 6000
FJ: :oops:
Coryat: 14400
LT: capricious

Not a lot to discuss about the game, with the posting so late. It's all been covered.

Yes, the writers won Steinbeck, but the players won the rest of the board. I'm bad at keeping track of TSs on my score sheet, but those are the only ones I had noted in the J! round.

To mis-quote Crocodile Dundee, "Steinbeck and me, we ain't mates." Read The Grapes of Wrath in High School. Hated it then (probably due to to a combination of poor teaching and the fact that I found Jaws far more interesting to read.) I guess I should add it to my long and growing list of good literature that I need to read.

I fell down the Wright brothers rabbit hole (Akron? Columbus? Dayton? Whatever. They're all in Ohio), and then deconstructed Wingfoot to wing and foot. So my answer was "human-powered airplane." As soon as the answer was revealed, I knew wingfoot was referring to the Goodyear logo.

Or is it the Goodrich logo? "Hey look! It's the Goodrich blimp!" That !@#$ commercial has forever confounded the two companies in my mind.
--Peter
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

The players saved Steinbeck for the latter half of the Jeopardy! round. If I had been in that situation, the pause would have helped me precall the 5 main novels. I knew Grapes of Wrath, Of Mice and Men and The Red Pony, then guessed correctly on East of Eden and Cannery Row based on the box values alone and relativity obscurity of those titles.

Got nowhere fast on FJ. Sad, because I was recently talking to a consultant at work about Jeopardy! and told her how weak I am on Americana. Well, it happens that she's from Ohio and she rattled off a bunch of trivia nuggets about her state, including the Akron - Goodyear connection. Didn't really stick, I guess.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

davey wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:21 pm I thought David Hume was an impressive get for Craig too...
I got that one because he was the only philosopher named David I could think of.

FJ... no chance. Seems like if it's an airship, the category should have been GERMANIANA.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

And not knowing Cleese's fondness, and hoping that the clue was looking for something that hadn't yet died, I blurted out the only Madagascar animal I could think of that fascinates some people, and the only one I've ever actually held (or rather, had on my hand; I didn't try to grasp) -- the hissing cockroach.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madagasca ... _cockroach
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Surprised myself by running the Steinbeck category.
stephanie
Valued Contributor

Post by stephanie »

John Boy wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:59 am I never heard about John Cleese's affinity for lemurs. Ask me what animal (esp. in tropical climes) he wants to help, I guess parrot every time. Oh well.
I'm just nerd enough to own this:
Attachments
JohnCleese_lemurs.jpg
JohnCleese_lemurs.jpg (351.09 KiB) Viewed 3761 times
Not Jeopardy! material :(
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

stephanie wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2017 1:05 am
John Boy wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:59 am I never heard about John Cleese's affinity for lemurs. Ask me what animal (esp. in tropical climes) he wants to help, I guess parrot every time. Oh well.
I'm just nerd enough to own this:
Who knew British humor owed so much to lemurs? W. S. Gilbert owned at least three pet lemurs over the years.