Friday, December 15, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, December 15, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7655, 2017-12-15

CONTESTANTS
Denise Littlejohn, a project manager from West Hollywood, California
Kiersten Brown, a writer and retail clerk from Champlain, New York
Craig Tollin, a professor from Roanoke, Virginia (whose 1-day cash winnings total $22,001)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, here and at home. Good to have you with us once again. Winning on Jeopardy! is good. Winning big is better. Winning big after you've been in third place for half the game is, I imagine, the best. That's what Craig did on yesterday's program. Kiersten and Denise, we are delighted to have you ladies with us. Good luck. Here we go into the Jeopardy! Round. Let's have some fun with these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
COKE SLOGANS THROUGH THE YEARS (3/5)
TREES (3/5)
VOTE-CABULARY (5/5)
TV NICKNAMES (3/5)
BEFORE THE EURO (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MAIN STREAM MEDIA (3/5) (Alex: Each correct response will include the name of a river.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Craig: 8 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W
Kiersten: 8 R, 2 W
Denise: 6 R (including 1 DD), 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 8
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,200

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Denise found the Daily Double on the 9th clue. Craig had $400, Kiersten had $1,000, and Denise was at $1,200. Denise made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,200.

BEFORE THE EURO $600: This former currency of Austria sounds like a coin once used in the United Kingdom

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Kiersten: $3,400
Denise: $2,600
Craig: $1,400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Denise Littlejohn is from West Hollywood here in southern California. You, I understand, love to do karaoke, and you once did it in Morocco?

Denise: I did. Was out to dinner with some friends. There was a duo playing. One dinner companion said, "She wants to sing with them." And I looked at him, and I said, "I do?" I did. And I did. It was a lot of fun.

Alex: Great.

Alex: Kiersten Brown is from Champlain, New York. Is it true you got your passport just because you wanted to see your favorite comedian perform?

Kiersten: I did, I did. She was performing at Just For Laughs up in Montreal, which--

Alex: Who was this?

Kiersten: Sarah Millican. She's a British comedian and someone that is just hilarious. Her comedic timing is amazing and really relatable to a lot of people. She was doing a work-in-progress tour, getting ready for her next tour. And I said, "I wanna go," and my husband said, "Let's go."

Alex: Okay, good.

Alex: Craig Tollin is from Roanoke, Virginia. He is a professor, and he picked biochemistry as his major why?

Craig: Because I read Jurassic Park when I was 13, and I told myself, "I'm gonna make some dinosaurs when I grow up." That seemed like the coolest thing.

Alex: You're going to make dinosaurs?

Craig: That's what I had told myself when I was 13, let's say.

Alex: Even then, you were deluding yourself. I think that's the message we take away from all of this.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
TV NICKNAMES $200: Mac on "It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia" has this for a real name, just like a fast food icon
(Craig: What is McDonald?)
(Alex: Give me the full name.)
(Craig: What is Mac McDonald?)

TV NICKNAMES $800: In one episode of "South Park" this character goes south of the border & is referred to as Mantequilla

MAIN STREAM MEDIA $200: Hercule Poirot is on vacation in Africa in this mystery mainstay

MAIN STREAM MEDIA $600: Mark Twain talks about his career as a steamboat pilot in this memoir
(Kiersten: Tales on the Mississippi?)

COKE SLOGANS THROUGH THE YEARS $800: 2009:
"Open" this

COKE SLOGANS THROUGH THE YEARS $1000: 1969:
These 4 words, also heard in a jingle
(Kiersten: What is "Buy the world a Coke"?)
(Denise: What is "I'd like to teach"?)

TREES $600: The yellow poplar is also known as this flower tree, for obvious tree

TREES $1000: The bald type of this flourishes in swamps

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Craig: $4,600
Kiersten: $3,400
Denise: $1,200
Last edited by Archivists on Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, December 15, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
NON-AMERICAN GODS (4/5)
HISTORICAL ODD PAIRS (3/3)
ONLY "U" (5/5)
ALL MY... (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
EXODUS (5/5)
LIVE IN TEXAS (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Denise: 9 R, 0 W
Craig: 10 R (including 1 rebound), 2 W (including 2 DDs)
Kiersten: 5 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 2
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Craig snagged the next Daily Double on the 11th clue. Craig had $6,600, Kiersten had $6,200, and Denise was at $4,800. Craig wagered $2,000.

LIVE IN TEXAS $1600: You'll fit in with all the friendly people living in this big city named for a man buried in Padua, Italy
(Craig: What is El Paso?)
(Alex: Saint Anthony.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Craig who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 20th clue. Craig had $8,200, Kiersten had $6,200, and Denise was at $8,800. Craig wagered $1,000.

ALL MY... $2000: In 1947 Karl Malden & Ed Begley, Sr. stared in this playwright's first success, "All My Sons"
(Alex: Craig?)
(Craig: I can't pull it.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
LIVE IN TEXAS $2000: If you like the sound of living near the Trinity River, try this town that began as an Army outpost in 1849

NON-AMERICAN GODS $1600: In the Bible Elijah got the better of prophets of this Canaanite fertility deity

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Denise: $13,600
Craig: $10,800
Kiersten: $8,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MOVIE SETTINGS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Three-quarters for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Denise: Wager $8,001 to cover Craig.
Craig: You ought to wager to cover Kiersten, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you should choose between wagering $0 and maximizing your winnings with a wager of all $10,800. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $6,400 (to shut out Kiersten) or less than $5,200 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Kiersten). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Denise.
Kiersten: Consider risking between $2,201 and $3,000. This will top a $0 wager by Craig while still beating Denise on the Triple Stumper (should Denise wager to cover Craig's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The setting for this 1994 Oscar-winning animated film was inspired by Kenya's Hell's Gate National Park

FINAL SCORES
Kiersten: $8,600 + $7,999 = $16,599 (What is The Lion King?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Craig: $10,800 + $6,401 = $17,201 (What is The Lion King) (2nd place: $2,000)
Denise: $13,600 + $8,001 = $21,601 (What is The Lion King?) (New champion: $21,601)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $8,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Craig: $13,800, 18 R, 3 W (including 2 DDs)
Denise: $13,000, 15 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Kiersten: $8,600, 13 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $35,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Craig: 19/60 = .317
Denise: 16/59 = .271
Kiersten: 14/58 = .241
Team: 49/63 = .778

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
TV NICKNAMES $1000: On "WKRP in Cincinnati", Tim Reid played the DJ with this nickname, also a certain plant

BEFORE THE EURO $800: Seen here is an example of the former currency of this European nation

VOTE-CABULARY $1000: You'll find the common people of ancient Rome at the start of this word for a direct popular vote on an issue
(Denise: What is plebeian?)

MAIN STREAM MEDIA $400: This Strauss waltz, Opus 314, was originally a choral piece
(Denise: What is the Vienna waltz?)

TREES $200: (Kelly of the Clue Crew shows a tree on the monitor.) The tallest living tree, the coast redwood, loses its lower branches as it grows, revealing the slender trunk that distinguishes it from this giant tree with an immense trunk
(Alex: We have less than a minute to finish these clues.)

ONLY "U" $400: With varying markings, there are more than 10 species of this mammal, including the hooded one seen here

ONLY "U" $1200: For toddlers, they're also called training pants
(Alex: I wear them.)
[Laughter]
(Kiersten: So does my daughter.)

LIVE IN TEXAS $800: In this city near Dallas you can see your Cowboys & Rangers play home games
(Kiersten: What is Fort Worth?)

EXODUS $1200: In Chapter 3 Moses is "afraid to look upon God" in the form of this amazing sight
(Alex: With less than a minute.)

EXODUS $2000: The painting showing the celebrations after the crossing from Egypt is titled "The Song of" this sister of Moses

EXODUS $1600: It was made of shittim wood, 2.5 cubits in length, 1.5 cubits in breadth & height
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
the schilling
Ronald McDonald
Butters
Death on the Nile
Life on the Mississippi
happiness
"It's the real thing"
the tulip tree
cypress trees
San Antonio
Arthur Miller
Fort Worth
Baal
The Lion King
Venus Flytrap
Italy
a plebiscite
the "Blue Danube"
a sequoia
a skunk
pull-ups
Arlington
the burning bush
Miriam
the Ark
Last edited by Archivists on Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MOVIE SETTINGS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The setting for this 1994 Oscar-winning animated film was inspired by Kenya’s Hell’s Gate National Park

Craig Tollin: 10800+6401=17201
Kiersten Brown: 8600+7999=16599
Denise Littlejohn: 13600+8001=21601 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
The Lion King

Daily Doubles
Denise: 1200+1200
Craig: 6600-2000
Craig: 8200-1000

Coryats
Craig: 13800
Kiersten: 8600
Denise: 13000

Combined: 35,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Craig: 4600
Kiersten: 3400
Denise: 1200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Kiersten’s story mentioned needing a passport to see her favorite comedian, Sarah Millican. NHOH, so that is what YouTube is for.

The players were 3/3 on the FJ! clue. I got it. I expect Hammer to get it. That must mean it will go over 90% in the poll. With 1994 and Kenya in the wording there is no reason to go with The Jungle Book or Madagascar.

Craig could not solve his DDs, so Denise was in first place for the FJ! round. Clear advantage for the leader in this game.

Kiersten will be the first in the Archive with that first name spelling.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Never seen the movie, but WECIB.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I have the "mind map of Padua" to thank for getting that Daily Double. I wouldn't have known it a month ago.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=637&p=266853&hilit=padua#p266853
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Played FJ off website. Drew a blank... rather than focusing on Kenya, I focused on the canyon or whatever they mentioned in the clue. Might have clicked at a different time.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:10 pmThat must mean it will go over 90% in the poll.
Maybe 95%. Like you said, they basically steered you away from every other possible choice.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran Only "U".

TV Nicknames for $200 was a bogus clue. Even with "McDonald" and "give me the full name", I had no idea. And I WORK at a McDonald's.

NHO "Keep Austin Weird". I saw no way to pick that over any of the other 47,000 big towns in TX. What was the TOM there?

NHO "Vote with your feet" and don't recognize "Death on the Nile" either.

Saw no way to pick a season that Coke would be the official drink of. "Winter" made sense given how often Coke advertises using Santa.

I also didn't think to add "it's" to "the real thing" and come up with the 4 words, as I was also too busy trying to whittle "I'd like to teach the world to sing" into 4 words.

Took me about half of the music time, but I got there. At first I missed "animated" and started to guess Jurassic Park. Let's see, big animated movie. Toy Story was 1995, Aladdin was 1992... oh, uh, duh. Lion King it is.

Lach Trash: Butters
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:38 pm I have the "mind map of Padua" to thank for getting that Daily Double. I wouldn't have known it a month ago.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=637&p=266853&hilit=padua#p266853
Same here. I maybe would've WAGged the right answer, instead of chanting "San Antonio! From St. Anthony of Padua!!" like I did today. Thank you for that.

'Greek sun god starting with H' gave me pause, thinking "a 2k clue can't be that easy"...then came FJ. Um, thanks for the bit of stat padding J! writers?
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

R: 25, W: 4, costing 3200
FJ!: :mrgreen: Finally
Coryat: 19,800
LT: Cypress, Baal

Managed to run Exodus, missed the run in Vote-cabulary and Only "U" by their last clues. Got stumped by TV Nicknames and Live in Texas. The lack of a pure literature category definitely helped my score today.

Once I re-read FJ, it came to me. I missed the Kenya part on the first reading, and was trying to think of US national parks. Once I got to Africa, the answer seemed pretty obvious.

FJ wagering: See yesterday's discussions. From what I can tell, it's exactly the same situation: 3/4 for 2nd place and 1/2 for 3rd place. Craig was in 2nd place both days and wagered the same both days. 1st place made the standard wager to cover a double by 2nd both days. Third place is difficult to figure out both days.
--Peter
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Movie categories generally scare the daylights out of me but got lucky with the easy clue, so no problems here to cap off a 5/5!

Like TPH, negged with Christmastime on the top row Coke clue just because of how much advertising they do around that time. I also agree that a bunch of the 2k clues seemed on the easier side.. if my religion professor had assigned the entirety of Exodus instead of parts of it, I would have gotten five of the six bottom row clues.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

Finally getting around to watching these live again.

Coryat: $30,800
DDs: 2/3
FJ!: :mrgreen:

Ran Vote-cabulary, Before The Euro, WWSO Historical Odd Pairs. Only miss in the Coke category was $400.

The players thought of the correct ad campaign, but not the right phrase for "It's The Real Thing".

"Have a Coke and a smile" is forever linked to the "Thanks, 'Mean' Joe!" commercial in my head.

Thanks to my former pastor for mentioning St. Anthony of Padua every week during the Prayers of the Faithful. St. Anthony = San Antonio.

Instaget FJ!. 1994 + animated film + Kenya = WECIB. Elton John wrote "Circle of Life" while on safari in Kenya, probably in the place mentioned in the clue.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Congrats Denise! Well played! :D

48R for goats, instaget &LT: RONALD McDonald; Death on the NILE; Life on the Misissippi (Twain); "It's the Real Thing"; (NHO: "Open Happiness" 2009, DOH!); Tulip Tree (Poplar; have them!); Bald Cypress (Also!); San Antonio > St Anthony of Padua; Canaanite God = Baal;
Get on MDD; Arthur Miller, playwright: All My Sons; ran Trees, Gods, Euro. :)
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

34 R
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Ronald McDonald, Death on the Nile, Life on the Mississippi, Cypress, (San Antonio)
Douglas Squasoni
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

This could have been a Kid's Week FJ.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

FJ category had me cringing, but this was a big hanging slow curve over the middle of the plate.
trash: Ronald Macdonald, Life on the Mississippi, Tulip, Baal, the San Antonio DD.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

yay, Denise! I thought she played pretty cool. I don't know if she was clamming in the middle, or just couldn't beat the buzzer.

What was the skunk clue about? I loved the category, but a PICTURE of the animal? Might be good for an ESL (English as a Second Language) drill.

The picture of the tulip tree was not a good one, they are very symmetric even if they aren't artificially pruned. But the flowers and leaves photo were distinctive. This must be a YEKIOYD, easy for me, I planted ten of them this year alone. The "Bald" TOM should have been enough for the Cypress, if the swamp TOM wasn't.

Please lower the FJ poll forecast to 94%. My wife was using our shared brain cell tonight and got FJ. Spoiler for brain joke:
Spoiler
The meme for Guinea Fowl is that they only have one brain cell. And they share it. The more birds you have, the dumber they are. We can vouch for that from our birds. :lol: When you first get them, you don't need TV, they are a trip to watch
I was floundering to remember the animated movie Shaq was in (the time frame seemed right) and the missus said Lion King before I could remember and reject and start over. I would not have got there.

Craig's DD's cost him a lead going in. I Pavlov'd Arthur Miller based on the year for a genuine WAG wingshot hit.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I heard "What is Leaven?" when an eight-letter response was called for and was expecting a reversal.

Would have been surprised if that wasn't a triple-get.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

OSXpert wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:43 pm I heard "What is Leaven?" when an eight-letter response was called for and was expecting a reversal.
Same here. I immediately went back and turned on the captions and they said "leavened." So I wasn't too surprised by the lack of reversal. I figured if there'd been a reversal, the captioner would have put it in that way.