Monday, December 18, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: Monday, December 18, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by TenPoundHammer »

AFRET CMS wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:44 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:00 pm
teapot37 wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:55 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:47 pm * What do "I Am" and "Mrs. Carter" have to do with Beyonce?
Her 2008 album "I Am… Sasha Fierce" and her husband Jay-Z, whose real name is Shawn Carter.
Yep, none of that rings even the faintest of bells for me.
You're not alone on that one. Both hints were WAY over my head. Only two things I know about her are that her last name is/was Knowles and she once performed at a Super Bowl halftime. Oh, and she's famous -- I guess that makes three things.
Yo AFRET CMS, I'm happy for you and imma let you finish, but Beyonce had one of my least favorite songs of all time.

Seriously, I would rather shove a power drill in my ear canal than listen to "Single Ladies" or "If I Were a Boy" again.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Add me to those who have American Gothic on a very short list of paintings they can identity on sight.
Elijah Baley
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Elijah Baley »

AFRET CMS wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:57 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:23 am
I still don't know who Philip K. Dick is but he must be a wheelhouse for other people.
Pretty prolific SF author, so he's well-known among science fiction fans. Had a LOT of his original works adapted to movies and TV, many of them (such as "Blade Runner" and "Total Recall" fairly popular and well known. Wikipedia lists 13 works (original, not written specifically for performance). Not a record for an author, but high on the list for SF writers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_a ... ip_K._Dick

But his titles were often more intriguing than the retitling of the adaptation -- the inspiration for the two movies listed above were published as "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" and "We Can Remember It for You Wholesale."
And his works are mostly very short stories. They're usually along the lines of the kind of stories that were done on The Twilight Zone, i.e., what if everything stays the same but you tweak this one fact - what would the world look like then? They're easy to read and again - mostly no more than a few pages. It's worth investing in an anthology of his works - if you're at all into a somewhat old-fashioned kind of science fiction.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:25 pm RRR 18.6%
RRW 10.5%
RWR 9.5%
WRR 8.1%
RWW 12.1%
WRW 11.3%
WWR 9.4%
WWW 20.5%
Thank you very much!!

I had seen this data somewhere else and haven't been able to re-find it.
--Peter
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Peter the accountant wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 4:04 pm
OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:25 pm RRR 18.6%
RRW 10.5%
RWR 9.5%
WRR 8.1%
RWW 12.1%
WRW 11.3%
WWR 9.4%
WWW 20.5%
Thank you very much!!

I had seen this data somewhere else and haven't been able to re-find it.
The season index pages on J! Archive have a list of links at the bottom; "Final Jeopardy! Round statistics" will have what you're looking for.
tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

AFRET CMS wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:42 pm
alietr wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:41 pm Well, that was disappointing. I've spent a fair amount of time in Gdansk, and was excited that a category about Gdansk came up ... except you didn't need to know anything about Gdansk to get any of the clues.
I precalled "Danzig" and "Polish Corridor" as possible $200 clues, but I guess they weren't even worth the minimum.
I pre-called (well, I hoped to see) Gunther Grass. His Danzig trilogy is the first thing I think of when I think of Gdansk.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 5:29 pm The season index pages on J! Archive have a list of links at the bottom; "Final Jeopardy! Round statistics" will have what you're looking for.
I'm sure that's not where I saw the stats, but its better to go to a trusted resource anyway.

Thank you again!
--Peter
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

Elijah Baley wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:48 pm And his works are mostly very short stories.
While he wrote quite a few short stories, Dick wrote 44 novels and The Man in the High Castle, The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, Ubik, Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said, the Valis trilogy, and A Scanner Darkly, are his best known works. The Minority Report and We Can Remember It For You Wholesale are really his only short stories that rate with these novels.
I would prefer not to.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bartleby wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:24 pm
Elijah Baley wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:48 pm And his works are mostly very short stories.
While he wrote quite a few short stories, Dick wrote 44 novels and The Man in the High Castle, The Three Stigmata of Palmer Eldritch, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?, Ubik, Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said, the Valis trilogy, and A Scanner Darkly, are his best known works. The Minority Report and We Can Remember It For You Wholesale are really his only short stories that rate with these novels.
A Scanner Darkly may be my favorite. It's also the only one that has had a reasonably faithful film adaptation. Definitely worth seeing. Blade Runner is the only other PKD film adaptation that's in any way faithful. In this case it's not faithful to the plot (which is probably just as well) but it is faithful to some of the themes and some of the feel. Other PKD-inspired films are problematic at best. Why anyone bought into Total Recall as a mindscrew movie is a complete mystery. (The original one. Haven't seen the more recent version.) The way the film is done...
Spoiler
It is COMPLETELY impossible that the action is all taking place inside Quaid's head. If the filmmakers wanted me to consider that as a viable possibility, that means they have no clue how to present that as a viable possibility. So, the movie's either an incoherent cheating mess or is a middling ok action/adventure/sci-fi flick about stuff that actually verifiably happened to a guy, but the guy himself isn't sure it happened.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:51 pm
Bartleby wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:24 pm
A Scanner Darkly may be my favorite. It's also the only one that has had a reasonably faithful film adaptation. Definitely worth seeing. Blade Runner is the only other PKD film adaptation that's in any way faithful. In this case it's not faithful to the plot (which is probably just as well) but it is faithful to some of the themes and some of the feel. Other PKD-inspired films are problematic at best. Why anyone bought into Total Recall as a mindscrew movie is a complete mystery. (The original one. Haven't seen the more recent version.) The way the film is done...
Spoiler
It is COMPLETELY impossible that the action is all taking place inside Quaid's head. If the filmmakers wanted me to consider that as a viable possibility, that means they have no clue how to present that as a viable possibility. So, the movie's either an incoherent cheating mess or is a middling ok action/adventure/sci-fi flick about stuff that actually verifiably happened to a guy, but the guy himself isn't sure it happened.
How faithful one feels Blade Runner is to the original material depends in part on which ending for the film one considers.
stephanie
Valued Contributor

Post by stephanie »

Had to do a double take when I saw the Philip K. Dick category. I had been rereading my copy of "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep" so he'd been on my mind lately. This past Saturday we watched our old VHS copy of Total Recall. Then the following night at the bookstore I spent my time reading "We Can Remember It for You Wholesale" and wishing I owned a nice collection of his short stories. Then, of course, there's a whole category on Jeopardy! about him. You never know what will turn up on Jeopardy!.
Not Jeopardy! material :(