Tuesday, December 19, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Tuesday, December 19, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Historically, they've given some leeway on song titles, but these tend to be songs with lyrics, not instrumental pieces with a well-known name in English.
Anachronism
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Anachronism »

Ooh, animated gif shaming... I feel privileged.

Yeah, so maybe you're right. I thought it was more along the lines of the Sgt. Pepper's miss in that people often abbreviate and you know what they're talking about. But music is among my worst categories, so I won't press it.
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

floridagator wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:19 pm
OSXpert wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:48 pm I did land on Iwo Jima.
Thank you for your service!

For "Star Wars," I said "New Hope." Judges?
They're lenient with articles, but if it was me, I'd say no because the title refers to Luke as "A New Hope" and not a generalized "New Hope." I can think of a few other movies that start with "A" and I'd think should require the full title: A Summer Place, A Place in the Sun, etc. But, I feel like this has been discussed and I just can't remember what the consensus was.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:29 am Historically, they've given some leeway on song titles, but these tend to be songs with lyrics, not instrumental pieces with a well-known name in English.
However, that leeway consists of allowing for quotations of the lyrics that include the title (which falls under the umbrella of the "correct responses with extra information are accepted if the extra information is also correct" rule). Lyrics or no, partial titles that aren't a common abbreviation of the complete title cannot be accepted.
davey

Post by davey »

Elijah Baley wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:38 am

They're lenient with articles, but if it was me, I'd say no because the title refers to Luke as "A New Hope" and not a generalized "New Hope." I can think of a few other movies that start with "A" and I'd think should require the full title: A Summer Place, A Place in the Sun, etc. But, I feel like this has been discussed and I just can't remember what the consensus was.
The rule is that initial articles don't matter unless confusion with another work is possible. An H.G. Wells work requires a "The" because someone might confuse it with a Ralph Ellison novel. The sense of the title doesn't come into it. The only issue here is whether they'd consider "A" an internal article or allow the picture's "subtitle" to stand alone.
They've taken the wrong article as long as it's at the beginning. As far as we know. The Summer Place is acceptable to J! Presumably the title tune couldn't be noted as Theme from The Summer Place, however...(Nobody gets A Place in the Sun anyway - triple stumper the last 3 times it or the book it's based on have come up!)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:21 pm Lyrics or no, partial titles that aren't a common abbreviation of the complete title cannot be accepted.
Yes, but don't you think the "common abbreviation" bit leads to some ambiguity here? I don't think "Stars and Stripes" is a common abbreviation for "Star and Stripes Forever," but it wouldn't totally shock me for them to give a BMS for that.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

If you're unsure, just roll with it. "Um, what is, uh, New Hope?"
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

For FJ I interpreted volcano to mean Italy and went with Anzio.

I was happy to see the microbiota category as I am currently reading I Contain Multitudes by Ed Yong which is all about microbes. It's a really good book and I wonder if one of the writers was inspired by it to create the category.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:28 pm Uncle Alex: Lisa Beth Davis, retired Army master sergeant. That must be really tough for a woman because a master sergeant is giving orders most of the time.
The local FOX station showcased this exchange on this morning's news with the tagline "What is foot-in-mouth?"
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

davey wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:57 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:09 am
dhkendall wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:02 am Judges: "Social planner" for "social secretary" in "SOCIAL" $400?
Perhaps. Seems like the job title "secretary" is sort of taboo these days.
Problem is, "social planner" is used widely for another kind of job entirely, in the same orbit as "urban planner."

I'm not seeing that "social secretary" is used much anywhere outside of the White House.
"Social planner" calls to mind Planned Parenthood or "Community Organizer."
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

This is the second game in recent Jeopardy! history where 'pall' was a TS

I panicked when I saw FJ - ended up with Guadalcanal mostly because I couldn't come up with anything else. Once again, FJ proves that when in doubt, go for the most obvious choice

Lisa Beth got lucky with military related material on 2 big clues

Once again, Alex blows up the internet with a sexist comment. Hard to tell what Lisa Beth was thinking because she was so composed, but she seemed pretty unfazed. Surprised that the producers don't try to steer Trebek away from making such comments
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:31 pm
seaborgium wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 12:21 pm Lyrics or no, partial titles that aren't a common abbreviation of the complete title cannot be accepted.
Yes, but don't you think the "common abbreviation" bit leads to some ambiguity here? I don't think "Stars and Stripes" is a common abbreviation for "Star and Stripes Forever," but it wouldn't totally shock me for them to give a BMS for that.
You're right. I'll go to my backup argument that any claim to "Stars and Stripes" as an abbreviated title was laid to waste when George Balanchine used it as the title for his ballet set to Sousa's music!
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

morbeedo wrote: Once again, Alex blows up the internet with a sexist comment. Hard to tell what Lisa Beth was thinking because she was so composed, but she seemed pretty unfazed.
Perhaps one of the benefits of going through military bootcamp is the development of a thick skin.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $35,400
45 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: ("Stars and Stripes Forever"); full nelson; bushmills; Holiday Inn; pall, Our Town (DD); angel shark
Bamaman wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:48 amAnother Guadalcanal here. A canal is kind of like a gorge. I did consider Iwo Jima and Midway.
Ditto all of this.
Lefty wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:22 amBecause Mount Suribachi is well known as a feature of Iwo Jima (due to the flag raising there), and even though it might not (for all I knew) be a volcano, it might well be one, being on an island within the Ring of Fire, and having the same ending as "hibachi".
The shared etymological component of the two words actually means "bowl." Hibachi means "fire bowl," but it's the "hi" part that refers to fire. Suribachi literally means "grinding bowl," and it is the Japanese word for a mortar (as in a mortar and pestle).
Sprinkles are for winners.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

FYI I completely forgot WWII had a Pacific Theatre and guessed “Battle of Sicily”. :oops:
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
flemmingfan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by flemmingfan »

Wow. I sure wouldn't admit that.