Tuesday, December 19, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, December 19, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7657, 2017-12-19

WE ASKED: Leonard Maltin.

CONTESTANTS
Jordan Garroway, a mechanical engineer from Rochester, New York
Lisa Beth Davis, a retired Army master sergeant from Altadena, California
Kate O’Connor, an insurance salesperson from Florence, New Jersey (whose 1-day cash winnings total $21,000)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. A most exciting game to kick off our week here on Jeopardy! yesterday. If today's match matches that, then you folks at home are in for a great treat. Lisa Beth and Jordan, welcome aboard. Kate, good to see you again. Good luck, here we go. The Jeopardy! Round and the first category celebrates the season...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
CHRISTMAS MOVIES WITH LEONARD MALTIN (3/5)
SOUNDS LIKE A LIQUOR BRAND (4/5)
AMERICAN HISTORY (4/5)
FIRST LADIES OF THE WORLD (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
"SOCIAL" (5/5)
SECURITY! (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jordan: 12 R, 0 W
Kate: 5 R, 2 W
Lisa Beth: 7 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 4 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 6
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,400

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Lisa Beth found the Daily Double on the 8th clue. Kate had $800, Lisa Beth had $400, and Jordan was at $800. Lisa Beth wagered $1,000.

FIRST LADIES OF THE WORLD $600: "Destilando Amor" & "Huracán" are telenovelas featuring Angélica Rivera de Peña, First Lady of this country

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Jordan: $3,200
Lisa Beth: $1,800
Kate: -$200

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Is there such a thing as love at first sight? Jordan Garroway thinks so. He's from Rochester, New York, and he married a woman after the first date.

Jordan: Well, it wasn't right after it. It was a few years later, but yeah, I met my wife supposedly in preschool. Neither of us remember that, but we've been married for five years now, and...

Alex: So it was love at first sight?

Jordan: Absolutely.

Alex: Yeah. Good for you.

Alex: Lisa Beth Davis. Retired Army master sergeant.

Lisa Beth: Yes.

Alex: That must be really tough for a woman because a master sergeant is giving orders most of the time. How was it for you?

Lisa Beth: I'm pretty bossy. I'm the oldest, so I know how to tell people what to do.

Alex: You're the oldest in your family. Did you have brothers?

Lisa Beth: I have sisters.

Alex: Sisters. And you boss them around.

Lisa Beth: Oh, yes.

Alex: So you learned how to do it.

Lisa Beth: Yes.

Alex: Good for you. Thank you for your service also.

Alex: Kate O'Connor is our champion. She is from New Jersey. You seem like such a quiet, nice lady. And you got kicked out of a Cirque du Soleil show?

Kate: Yes. I got kicked out of a Cirque du Soleil show in Las Vegas for falling asleep.

[Laughter]

Alex: I won't ask.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
AMERICAN HISTORY $600: First performed in 1897, this musical work was designated the official march of the United States in 1987
(Lisa Beth: What is "Stars And Stripes"?)
(Alex: Yes. Forever.)
[Originally ruled correct; ruled incorrect before the Daily Double]

FIRST LADIES OF THE WORLD $1000: Rosario Murillo is now First Lady & vice president of her country, standing beside this husband, a fellow Sandinista
(Lisa Beth: Who's Daniel Noriego?)
(Kate: Who's Noriega?)

SECURITY! $400: No, pocketing 2 company pens does not call for a "full" this with your hands locked behind the offender's neck
(Lisa Beth: What's a body search?)

SOUNDS LIKE A LIQUOR BRAND $1000: Australian wilderness grain-grinding buildings

CHRISTMAS MOVIES WITH LEONARD MALTIN $400: (Film critic Leonard Maltin presents the clue.) I found the laughs mild & sparse in this reworking of "A Christmas Carol" starring Bill Murray as a vernal TV executive
(Lisa Beth: What's Scrooge?)
[Originally ruled correct; ruled incorrect before Double Jeopardy!]

CHRISTMAS MOVIES WITH LEONARD MALTIN $1000: (Film critic Leonard Maltin presents the clue.) Bing Crosby introduced the timeless song "White Christmas" in this 1942 film about a hotel in the country
(Alex: And of course, our thanks to Leonard Maltin for that category.)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Jordan: $6,800
Kate: $2,400
Lisa Beth: $1,000
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, December 19, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE CITY OF NICKNAMES (3/5)
MORE THAN ONE MEANING (4/5)
MICROBIOTA (3/3)
DEAD MEN TELL SOME TALES (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
ANGELS IN AMERICA (3/4, including 1 correct Daily Double)
"HOPE"FUL ENTERTAINMENT (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Kate: 6 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Lisa Beth: 10 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 4 W
Jordan: 4 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 6
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $10,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Jordan snagged the next Daily Double on the 17th clue. Kate had $7,200, Lisa Beth had $4,200, and Jordan was at $8,000. Jordan wagered $1,000.

DEAD MEN TELL SOME TALES $800: The Stage Manager says, "Doc Gibbs died in 1930", but a minute later the doc is chatting away in this play
(Jordan: What is Death of a Salesman?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Lisa Beth who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 23rd clue. Kate had $7,200, Lisa Beth had $5,400, and Jordan was at $6,600. Lisa Beth wagered $3,000.

ANGELS IN AMERICA $800: Here is this group of the United States Navy doing its thing with precision & grace
(Alex: Less than a minute to go now.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE CITY OF NICKNAMES $1600: On France's Garonne River, it's the "City of Wine" & has a wine theme park called that

THE CITY OF NICKNAMES $2000: Guangzhou, China, which is also known by this English name, is "The City of Five Goats"

MORE THAN ONE MEANING $2000: A coffin, or the gloomy feeling that comes upon you as it's being carried
(Lisa Beth: What is dread?)

DEAD MEN TELL SOME TALES $2000: The dead Leon, son of Kilgore Trout, recounts this author's 1985 "Galapagos"

DEAD MEN TELL SOME TALES $1200: The spirits of Heisenberg & this Danish mentor remember the A-bomb in the play "Copenhagen"
(Lisa Beth: Who's Kierkegaard?)

ANGELS IN AMERICA $1600: It looks like a ray, but between the category title & its tail, you should know it's called this
(Lisa Beth: What's an angel fish?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Kate: $9,600
Jordan: $7,400
Lisa Beth: $6,800

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD WAR II

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Three-quarters for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Kate: Wager $5,201 to cover Jordan.
Jordan: You ought to wager to cover Lisa Beth, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you should choose between wagering $0 and maximizing your winnings with a wager of all $7,400. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $6,200 (to shut out Lisa Beth) or less than $3,000 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Lisa Beth). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Kate.
Lisa Beth: Consider risking between $601 and $2,400. This will top a $0 wager by Jordan while still beating Kate on the Triple Stumper (should Kate wager to cover Jordan's doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The book "From the Volcano to the Gorge" tells the story of this World War II battle

FINAL SCORES
Lisa Beth: $6,800 + $6,800 = $13,600 (What is Iwo Jima?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Jordan: $7,400 - $6,200 = $1,200 (What is Etna?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Kate: $9,600 + $9,600 = $19,200 (What is Iwo Jima?) (2-day champion: $40,200)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $14,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Kate: $9,600, 11 R, 2 W
Jordan: $8,400, 16 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Lisa Beth: $4,200, 17 R (including 2 DDs), 8 W
Combined Coryat: $22,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Lisa Beth: 18/60 = .300
Jordan: 16/59 = .271
Kate: 12/58 = .207
Team: 46/63 = .730

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
AMERICAN HISTORY $400: This period in the South can be divided into presidential (1865-1867) & Congressional or Radical (1867-1877)
(Kate: What is antebellum?)

CHRISTMAS MOVIES WITH LEONARD MALTIN $200: (Film critic Leonard Maltin presents the clue.) Will Ferrell is a delight in this 2003 film whose cast also includes old pros like Ed Asner & Bob Newhart

CHRISTMAS MOVIES WITH LEONARD MALTIN $600: (Film critic Leonard Maltin presents the clue.) Edmund Gwenn was the real deal as Kris Kringle, working as a department store Santa, in this delightful 1947 film

CHRISTMAS MOVIES WITH LEONARD MALTIN $800: (Film critic Leonard Maltin presents the clue.) In the perennial favorite "A Christmas Story", Peter Billingsley plays this boy who wants nothing more than a Red Ryder BB gun

"HOPE"FUL ENTERTAINMENT $1600: In The Who's "My Generation", "Things they do look awful c-c-cold", which leads to this wish
(Lisa Beth: What is "I hope they don't heat up"?)

MORE THAN ONE MEANING $800: This word can refer to the boat on the left or the pile on the right

MICROBIOTA $400: Demodex folliculorum is one of these tiny parasitic arachnids that live on you in or near your hair follicles
(Jordan: What are lice?)

MICROBIOTA $1200: A form of life discovered in the 1970s, Archaea can thrive in harsh environments, like this park's Octopus Spring
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Mexico
"Stars And Stripes Forever"
Daniel Ortega
a full nelson
bush mills
Scrooged
Holiday Inn
Our Town
the Blue Angels
Bordeaux
Canton
a pall
Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.
Niels Bohr
an angel shark
Iwo Jima
Reconstruction
Elf
Miracle on 34th Street
Ralphie
"I hope I die before I get old"
junk
mites
Yellowstone National Park
Last edited by Archivists on Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD WAR II

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The book “From the Volcano to the Gorge” tells the story of this World War II battle

Kate O’Connor: 9600+9600=19200 (2x = $40,200)
Lisa Beth Davis: 6800+6800=13600
Jordan Garroway: 7400-6200=1200

Correct response:
Spoiler
Iwo Jima (Jordan – Etna)

Daily Doubles
Lisa Beth: 400+1000
Jordan: 8000-1000
Lisa Beth: 5400+3000

Coryats
Kate: 9600
Lisa Beth: 4200
Jordan: 8400

Combined: 22,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round:
Kate: 2400
Lisa Beth: 1000
Jordan: 6800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Alex could have easily served up rebounds to Kate & Jordan for Lisa Beth’s errors on the Sousa march and the Murray movie instead of accepting the incorrect responses and twice having to later deliver the bad news.

For the Tuesday archivist: This is another game with a “We Asked”
Spoiler
Uncle Alex: Lisa Beth Davis, retired Army master sergeant. That must be really tough for a woman because a master sergeant is giving orders most of the time.

It’s not the first time and won’t be the last time as Kate joins the club of leaders betting it all in the FJ! round. A harder clue and Jordan wins with $1200.

For me the clue was hard enough to cause a miss as I guessed Gallipoli. My thinking was perhaps Turkey was a spot for something high & low. The major problem with that is of course that’s WWI and I did not have the sense during think time to distinguish that my guess did not fit the category.

I was on my way to the solve as time ended when I thought about Suribachi and the flag raising. So much for having seen both 2006 Clint Eastwood films (Flags of Our Fathers and Letters from Iwo Jima) doing me any good in 2017.

Kate sat back and let her opponents shoot themselves in the foot multiple times. While a 9600 Coryat is nothing special, 2 wins and $40K plus is always a nice accomplishment.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Judges were really slow on the draw today. They missed "Stars and Stripes [Forever]" AND "Scrooge[d]"?

Why are the tough boxes so tough lately?

====

Didn't know France had anything to do with the Vietnam War. That whole History category just went over my head.

Akie Abe = Japan, huh? Honestly could've taken 400 guesses. Guessing they wanted "It kinda almost sorta vaguely maybe sounds like a Japanese name" and nothing more, huh?

Also don't recognize the term "social butterfly" or "social secretary".

Bombay sounds like a liquor brand?!

"Quarry" can mean a hunted animal?!?

Also NHO "Five People You Meet in Heaven" or "Angel investor".

Lach Trash: "Holiday Inn", angel shark

====

Precalled that I would miss FJ! Iwo Jima has a volcano?!
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

What a great bunch of contestants!

It seems like there are a disproportionate number of contestants from Rochester. Is that the continuing influence of the now greatly reduced Eastman Kodak Company? Or the very technically oriented University of Rochester? Or am I simply suffering from confirmation bias?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

floridagator wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:27 pm It seems like there are a disproportionate number of contestants from Rochester. Is that the continuing influence of the now greatly reduced Eastman Kodak Company? Or the very technically oriented University of Rochester? Or am I simply suffering from confirmation bias?
There have only been two this season. http://mattcarberry.com/Jeopardy/j-markets34.html
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

"WTF? Make her say 'Forever'!!!"
we have a change in scoring...
"Oh come on, she left off the D! Clear as day!!"
the judges have reviewed the tapes...

grumblegrumble

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:27 pm Akie Abe = Japan, huh? Honestly could've taken 400 guesses. Guessing they wanted "It kinda almost sorta vaguely maybe sounds like a Japanese name" and nothing more, huh?
That, and Japan's prime minister is Shinzo Abe. File that under the category of "sometimes you just have to know things" (though I'm surprised his name has only come up once before).

I don't think I've seen any WWII movies related to it (and some day I'll finish watching The Pacific), and I've never heard of the book, but in thinking of the intersection of 'places with volcanos' and 'places with famous WWII battles', Iwo Jima seemed like the right fit.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I toyed with the idea of Corregidor, which I googled and does have a Volcano, but I did land on Iwo Jima.

I precalled both reversals - I think that Alex should have given her some time on the Stars and Stripes response.
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

Coryat: $21,400
DDs: 2/3
FJ!: :(

Precalled at least the second reversal.

My Bob Harris-style thought process for Final follows: "Volcano... volcano... that sounds like Hawaii... what battles were fought around Pearl Harbor? Um... uh... I think Midway was a WWII battle... and I think it's in the Pacific... ummm... go with it! <clackety-click-whap-clackety>" Safe to say Iwo Jima never even entered my mind. Then of course I had the "coulda had a V8" moment when the correct response was revealed. Darn.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

OSXpert wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:48 pm I did land on Iwo Jima.
Thank you for your service!

For "Star Wars," I said "New Hope." Judges?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 3:28 pm Alex could have easily served up rebounds to Kate & Jordan for Lisa Beth’s errors on the Sousa march and the Murray movie instead of accepting the incorrect responses and twice having to later deliver the bad news.
Yeah, he kinda scrooged the pooch there.
Vowela

Post by Vowela »

I thought "Stars and Stripes" was used often enough that I'd have accepted it, but I can see that going either way, really. "Scrooge" should definitely not have been accepted, but I also didn't hear that she pronounced it that way. The difference between Scrooge and Scrooged is easy to miss if you're not paying really close attention to the pronunciation.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I caught the "Scrooge" pronunciation, and the initial acceptance caused me to question myself about whether I was wrong and there was also a "Scrooge" I had never heard of.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Vowela wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:30 pm I thought "Stars and Stripes" was used often enough that I'd have accepted it, but I can see that going either way, really. "Scrooge" should definitely not have been accepted, but I also didn't hear that she pronounced it that way. The difference between Scrooge and Scrooged is easy to miss if you're not paying really close attention to the pronunciation.
I feel that the most appropriate way to handle "Stars and Stripes", even if not strictly by the book, would be to pause and give her time to add "Forever" before time ran out and rule her incorrect if she didn't.

I wonder if the card indicated "DNA: Scrooge" for "Scrooged". That would get Alex and the judges attuned to listening for the final "d". Even if it didn't, I think someone should have caught it right away. In any case, it's clear that she didn't know the correct response; anyone who did would be very careful to enunciate the "d". (I liked that movie better than Maltin did, FWIW.)

Trying to ninja edit in respose to Ironhorse: there's a musical version of Scrooge with Albert Finney (1970, I think), and the Alastair Sim version of A Christmas Carol is sometimes called Scrooge.

And, yes, I was bothered that the opponents were deprived of rebounds in both cases.

I got FJ--lucky guess.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Linear Gnome wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:51 pm I wonder if the card indicated "DNA: Scrooge" for "Scrooged". That would get Alex and the judges attuned to listening for the final "d". Even if it didn't, I think someone should have caught it right away. In any case, it's clear that she didn't know the correct response; anyone who did would be very careful to enunciate the "d". (I liked that movie better than Maltin did, FWIW.)
So did Pauline Kael. She also liked Ghostbusters 2. I think Bill Murray just really clicked with her. It's too bad she'd retired by the time Groundhog Day came out. I would've loved to read that review.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

W: 25, R: 2, costing 1200
FJ: :oops:
Coryat: 14,600
LT: Holiday Inn, Angel shark

I got spoiled on one reversal (Scrooged), and wondered why Alex added the rest of the answer to the other.

Got the Holiday Inn LT thanks to my wife's long-time penchant for Bing Crosby movies. That was an easy one for me.

For FJ, I went two places - Italy and the Pacific. Two places where I knew there were volcanoes and battles during WWII. I couldn't come up with any battles in Italy, so searched the islands and came up with Midway. Close, but no cigar. And no volcano - at least not recently.

FJ wagering was unusual. This is the third time in the last couple of weeks where 3rd place has more than 1/2 of the 1st place score. That always makes wagering interesting - and puts a lot of pressure on the players to get it right. Kate had quite the brave (or is it foolish?) FJ wager. Jordan forgot to add the dollar to actually lock out Lisa Beth, giving us the chance for that elusive tie. Alas, it was not to be, as Jordan negged and Kate made the whole issue irrelevant by getting it right. Having watched a few more of Keith William's videos on FJ wagering, I think he might be drinking again today.
--Peter
mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:35 pm
floridagator wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:27 pm It seems like there are a disproportionate number of contestants from Rochester. Is that the continuing influence of the now greatly reduced Eastman Kodak Company? Or the very technically oriented University of Rochester? Or am I simply suffering from confirmation bias?
There have only been two this season. http://mattcarberry.com/Jeopardy/j-markets34.html
It might be recency bias; the two Rochester contestants appeared tonight and last night. No player from that market was on the show last season.
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

Did anyone have any specific reason to go with Iwo Jima over Okinawa? I figured both were likely to have a volcano but since Okinawa is bigger it is more likely to have a gorge. Should have just gone with the more famous one.
flemmingfan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by flemmingfan »

The question referred to the BOOK mentioned.
I think A.T. jumped the gun in accepting the Stars & Stripes answer, he could have asked "be more specific". Just another blunder.