Thursday, December 28, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Re: Thursday, December 28, 2017 Game Recap and Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

29 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Hinny, Six Characters in Search of An Author, Constantine, Lane, Orkneys, Modest Mussorgsky
Douglas Squasoni
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bartleby wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:01 pm Always beware of Greeks bearing gifts
As the ancient Trojans can tell you, it's really the gifts bearing Greeks that'll get you.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

earendel wrote: Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:07 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:40 pm Nothing Biblical can be connected to the Zodiac can it?
Not definitely, but there is a lot of astrological speculation. Here are two articles - they don't even agree on which tribe of Israel gets associated with which zodiac sign.

http://www.usbible.com/Astrology/stars_of_israel.htm

http://www.llewellyn.com/journal/article/472
Wow. Thanks for the lesson. Seems weird to try to marry astrology to the Bible in the interest of making either one more credible. How does anybody still believe in astrology, ghosts, angels, aliens, etc, since the advent of cell phones (cameras)? See Randall Munroe comic if you haven't yet:

https://xkcd.com/1235/
(I don't know how to insert the graphic)

I don't think FJ writers will touch this association of 12 things with 12 things :!:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:40 pm Were there 12 months at the time (September, October, November and December are 7,8,9, and 10 after all)?
I certainly hope so, their calendar would drift out of sync very quickly if there wasn’t. (I think the discrepancy between the root words of the month and it’s place on the calendar was when the start of the year was moved from March to January.
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:56 pm Forgot about ole Modest Mussorgsky.
He’s a pretty Modest guy.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $27,400
42 R/3 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :oops:
LT: hinny, walking papers, Six Characters in Search of an Author, Lonelyhearts, The Heart is a Lonely Hunter, Peter Capaldi, bell, autonomous

I think I would have gotten this right at any other time of year, but the pull of the 12 Days of Christmas was just too strong. Strong enough that I ignored my own birthstone. Not my best work.
Sprinkles are for winners.
earendel
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by earendel »

dhkendall wrote: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:45 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:40 pm Were there 12 months at the time (September, October, November and December are 7,8,9, and 10 after all)?
I certainly hope so, their calendar would drift out of sync very quickly if there wasn’t. (I think the discrepancy between the root words of the month and it’s place on the calendar was when the start of the year was moved from March to January.
The Jewish calendar is a lunar calendar with 12 months of 29 or 30 days each. An intercalary month is added every 2 or three years to keep it in line with the solar calendar.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."