FJs for the 12/25/17 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 12/25/17 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:50 pm

A prefatory poem he wrote to one of his novels tells of "the dream-child moving through a land of wonders wild and new"
59%
As a response to new developments there, this territory was carved out of the Northwest Territories in 1898
92%
Originally called Rural Retreat, this 19th century presidential home has a name that’s a synonym for “retreat”
59%
 This list of 12 may have been inspired by a biblical garment decorated in 4 rows, the top being sardius, topaz & carbuncle
67%
Following a show’s success in 2011, this group began advertising, “You’ve seen the play…now read the book”
79%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
20%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
1%
STATES BY COUNTIES $1000: Pulaski, Pope, Champaign
80%
ONE-WORD BOOK TITLES $800: In 18th century Scotland, David Balfour seeks the return of his stolen inheritance
28%
TIME FOR SECONDS $400: "On the shore dimly seen through the mists of the deep", begins the second verse of this patriotic song
69%
L. Frank Baum or C.S. Lewis was my incorrect guess for the Monday FJ! clue.
12%
The 12 Tribes of Israel was my incorrect guess for the Thursday FJ! clue.
5%
The 12 Days of Christmas was my incorrect guess for the Thursday FJ! clue.
16%
The 12 signs of the zodiac was my incorrect guess for the Thursday FJ! clue.
2%
BEGINS WITH A SILENT LETTER $400: These breeches named for a body part were all the rage in late 18th century men’s fashion - I was correct in getting knee breeches.
14%
My correct response for the Friday FJ! clue was something shorter than "The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints."
68%

Total votes: 133

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: FJs for the 12/25/17 week

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:45 pm
seaborgium wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:06 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:44 am Yeah, I think we can throw that Breeches clue in the "horribly under valued" pile.
"Breeches named for a body part" in BEGINS WITH A SILENT LETTER is not worth more than $400 regardless of how many people get it right.
Then why did so few get it right if it was so easy?
Because there was a picture, probably. And maybe the presence of "breeches" in the clue made people think that it was going to be a completely new word that didn't contain "breeches."
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:24 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:44 am Yeah, I think we can throw that Breeches clue in the "horribly under valued" pile.
"Breeches named for a body part" in BEGINS WITH A SILENT LETTER is not worth more than $400 regardless of how many people get it right.
Because there was a picture, probably. And maybe the presence of "breeches" in the clue made people think that it was going to be a completely new word that didn't contain "breeches."
I still don't see how it's a supposedly "easy" clue. "Knee Breeches" has zero other hits in the archive as a correct response, and only one hit even in the text of a clue, so it's clearly not common knowledge.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:30 pm
seaborgium wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:24 pm
I still don't see how it's a supposedly "easy" clue. "Knee Breeches" has zero other hits in the archive as a correct response, and only one hit even in the text of a clue, so it's clearly not common knowledge.
Because there are so few body parts beginning with silent letters that breeches touch or are adjacent to.

P.S. You put "easy" in quotation marks as if I said it. I didn't. Maybe it wasn't easy, but it still wasn't undervalued.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:24 pm Because there are so few body parts beginning with silent letters that breeches touch or are adjacent to.

P.S. You put "easy" in quotation marks as if I said it. I didn't. Maybe it wasn't easy, but it still wasn't undervalued.
So an impossibly difficult clue =/= undervalued. By that logic, the "flight simulator" FJ! that no one on this forum got right should be in the $200 box.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:37 pm
seaborgium wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:24 pm Because there are so few body parts beginning with silent letters that breeches touch or are adjacent to.

So an impossibly difficult clue =/= undervalued. By that logic, the "flight simulator" FJ! that no one on this forum got right should be in the $200 box.
So (body part that begins with a silent letter = knee) = impossibly difficult.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:41 pm So (body part that begins with a silent letter = knee) = impossibly difficult.
It must be if virtually nobody got it right. I'm sure you thought goop.com was a no brainer too.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:43 pm
seaborgium wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:41 pm So (body part that begins with a silent letter = knee) = impossibly difficult.
It must be if virtually nobody got it right. I'm sure you thought goop.com was a no brainer too.
I don't know why that's your example, but yes, "Gwyneth Paltrow" + "website" = "goop" is a simple association.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:46 pm
I don't know why that's your example, but yes, "Gwyneth Paltrow" + "website" = "goop" is a simple association.
It's my example because it's another top box clue that I remember polling hideously low. If it's below 50% for us and a TS on the show, then clearly the writers dun goofed because I really doubt THAT high a number of any given sample is going to have a collective brainfart.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:51 pm
seaborgium wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:46 pm
It's my example because it's another top box clue that I remember polling hideously low. If it's below 50% for us and a TS on the show, then clearly the writers dun goofed because I really doubt THAT high a number of any given sample is going to have a collective brainfart.
To be fair, it was in a category called WHY DOES THAT SOUND FAMILIAR?, which to me implies that the responses are largely going to be just on the edge of one's consciousness. I think Goop would have been better polled by asking whether those who negged or clammed slapped their foreheads upon its reveal.

Again, I think "knee breeches" failed because people simply didn't expect that the clue had spotted them two thirds of the correct response, and were trying to come up with an entirely different word preceded by "knee." It's more complex than simple obscurity.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:00 pmAgain, I think "knee breeches" failed because people simply didn't expect that the clue had spotted them two thirds of the correct response, and were trying to come up with an entirely different word preceded by "knee." It's more complex than simple obscurity.
But you still admit it's complex. Top boxes are supposed to be easy, not "TS on the show, <20% when polled from a sampling of people who usually get 50 clues right per night".
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:06 pm a sampling of people who usually get 50 clues right per night".
I think you have a tendency toward exaggeration
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

seaborgium wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:00 pm Again, I think "knee breeches" failed because people simply didn't expect that the clue had spotted them two thirds of the correct response, and were trying to come up with an entirely different word preceded by "knee." It's more complex than simple obscurity.
The clue should probably have just asked "Breeches named after this body part..."
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:06 pm
seaborgium wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:00 pmAgain, I think "knee breeches" failed because people simply didn't expect that the clue had spotted them two thirds of the correct response, and were trying to come up with an entirely different word preceded by "knee." It's more complex than simple obscurity.
But you still admit it's complex. Top boxes are supposed to be easy, not "TS on the show, <20% when polled from a sampling of people who usually get 50 clues right per night".
What if, of the 68 who did not report getting it, 51, say, voted in a poll that the correct response turned out to be simpler than they expected?
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:00 pm Again, I think "knee breeches" failed because people simply didn't expect that the clue had spotted them two thirds of the correct response, and were trying to come up with an entirely different word preceded by "knee." It's more complex than simple obscurity.
That may be part of it. For me, the bulk of it was that the words "knickers" and "knickerbockers" came immediately to mind. They had the silent letter up front. They described the apparel in question. It just wasn't possible for me to push them aside and get to the correct response in time.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:21 pm
That may be part of it. For me, the bulk of it was that the words "knickers" and "knickerbockers" came immediately to mind. They had the silent letter up front. They described the apparel in question. It just wasn't possible for me to push them aside and get to the correct response in time.
I wish "clam diggers" were synonymous with "knee breeches" or "knickers" right now.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Could not think of Lewis Carroll, joke-answered Wes Craven (Nightmare on Elm Street)
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Very grumpy about the fuss over prepositions but gave Mormon Church of Latter Day Saints as response IDK TBVH if TPTB would credit that or no.
Possibly a neg on many variations, I suppose a KISS response "Mormons" would be least risky. Knickerbockers here, I always imagined it's derived from German for joint >> implies 'knee'. Seems I got "My knickers in a knot," as IN FACT:
Spoiler
Origin of the word Knickerbocker
Word Origin and History for Knickerbocker. "descendant of Dutch settlers of New York," 1831, from Diedrich Knickerbocker, the name under which Washington Irving published his popular "History of New York" (1809).
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:21 pm
I settled on the right answer, but would be lying if I said knickerbockers didn't come to mind for an instant. Fortunately, I couldn't remember where on my body my bock is located.

Of course, "Ahnold" may be able to make a case that he has a bahd bock from a weight-lifting injury... but I don't lift weights. On purpose, anyway.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Peter the accountant
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Peter the accountant »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :(
:( :( :mrgreen:

With Champaign in the list, I might have gotten to Illinois. But I certainly didn't get there fast enough to claim a right answer.
--Peter
ClosingTime
Valued Contributor

Post by ClosingTime »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: