2018 Current Events Study Guide

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: 2018 Current Events Study Guide

Post by alietr »

File this one under 'probably not J! material but interesting nonetheless'.

Bill Gold, who designed many of the most iconic movie posters (Casablanca, The Exorcist, Dirty Harry, and many more), has passed away:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/ob ... 86dc88bfd1
IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by IronNeck »

alietr wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 1:39 pm File this one under 'probably not J! material but interesting nonetheless'.

Bill Gold, who designed many of the most iconic movie posters (Casablanca, The Exorcist, Dirty Harry, and many more), has passed away:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/ob ... 86dc88bfd1
Wow, he had an extraordinarily long career and was able to transition seamlessly from the 40's style of movie posters to the 70's, no easy task. Among many other classics, Gold is responsible for the iconic A Clockwork Orange poster as well as Cool Hand Luke.

It's a shame that great movie posters are largely an element of the past. Nowadays, in the era of the Internet and ubiquitous, high resolution trailers, they're unnecessary, but there was a real skill and art to them. I particularly like great posters for movies that weren't good.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

https://earther.com/alberto-may-make-a- ... 1826433747

The first named storm of the 2018 hurricane season, Alberto, might become the first on record to hit Lake Michigan. (Other named storms, including hurricane level ones, have hit the three Great Lakes to the east, Huron, Erie and Ontario. Because obviously a lake named Superior needs to feel -more- smug about itself...)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

From the Greek:  Christian fellowship or communion, with God or, more commonly, with fellow Christians.

Nationally televised live event:
Spoiler
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Gotta have a vanity post every once in a while.

The newest member of the animated rock band Gorillaz is Ace, a member of the Gangreen Gang as seen on The Powerpuff Girls. He takes over bassist duties while Mac serves time in jail.

https://www.cbr.com/the-gorillaz-ace-powerpuff-girls/
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 10:57 pm From the Greek:  Christian fellowship or communion, with God or, more commonly, with fellow Christians.

Nationally televised live event:
Spoiler
Spoiler
Who would have thought the end of a spelling bee would rile people up? #spellingbee started looking a little like #jeopardy there. That said, he was the first winner of the spelling bee under the RSVBee program, which is essentially an at large bid. Karthik took 2nd to Naysa Modi, the national runner up, at the county bee.
Volante

Post by Volante »

Guatemala's getting in on the volcano action now.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-guat ... SKCN1IZ0Y7
Guatemala’s Fuego volcano spewed black smoke and ash into the sky on Sunday, prompting the evacuation of some 100 people and forcing the capital’s La Aurora international airport to shut down its only runway.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Volante

Post by Volante »

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-star ... SKCN1J02SJ

Howard Schultz steps down as Starbucks CEO. Rumors are he's planning a political career. I'm certain #RaceTogether won't come back and bite him on the hashtag.
Starbucks’ board named Myron Ullman, previously chairman and CEO of struggling retailer J.C. Penney Co, as its new chair
So at least the company is left in capable hands
Volante

Post by Volante »

Designer Kate Spade (K♠) has died.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44374844
The 55-year-old fashion designer Kate Spade has been found dead in her New York apartment.

New York police are investigating her death as an apparent suicide.

She was found dead in her Park Avenue apartment at 10:20 local time (15:20 BST) by her housekeeper, a law enforcement official said.

The designer, whose name is Katherine Brosnahan, co-founded Kate Spade Handbags in 1993. The brand now has hundreds of branches around the world.

She sold her namesake company in 2007.

The firm was bought by rival New York designer Coach last year in a deal worth $2.4bn (£1.8bn).
Only initial designer I got from that category, too. :?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

IHOP is flipping the P and changing its name to IHOb with the announcement of the new name coming on June 11th.
Volante

Post by Volante »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-44386487
Jerry Maren, the last surviving actor to play a Munchkin in the original Wizard of Oz film, has died in California at the age of 98.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:55 am IHOP is flipping the P and changing its name to IHOb with the announcement of the new name coming on June 11th.
I Had One bob...damn, screwed it up by a letter.

International House of breakfast?
Total game show career losings = $171,522
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Volante wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:19 pm https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-44386487
Jerry Maren, the last surviving actor to play a Munchkin in the original Wizard of Oz film, has died in California at the age of 98.
Millionaire just reran an episode yesterday where he was in a question.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:55 am IHOP is flipping the P and changing its name to IHOb with the announcement of the new name coming on June 11th.
My bet is on "Breakfast."
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The President is Missing, a novel by James Patterson and Bill Clinton, is now in stores.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:17 pm
My bet is on “this is a stunt for a new promotional item, the name is not really changing, and everyone is a mark for taking it seriously.”
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

9021amyers wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:47 pm
seaborgium wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:17 pm
My bet is on “this is a stunt for a new promotional item, the name is not really changing, and everyone is a mark for taking it seriously.”
Or it could be a genuine New Coke style misfire that will have a big rollout and an even bigger retraction after the move inevitably hurts them. I go back and forth between that possibility and the one you suggest. I guess you could say I'm... waffling.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:46 pm The President is Missing, a novel by James Patterson and Bill Clinton, is now in stores.
And within arm's reach of my chair that faces the TV. I was curious about why Patterson is so popular, so I figured this would be a good place to see his work for the first time. 500 pages and change with 128 chapters gave a laugh as I flipped through the book. It was a long wait from posting about this more than a year ago to it finally being released.

Opus: Too funny with the waffling line.

Whether it turns out to be a marketing risk or publicity ploy it's still the kind of thing J! might use and that is what matters. Has anyone considered Pb is lead? ;)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

To be fair, it's actually flipping the entire name. The 'P/b' is the only thing that you can tell has flipped.
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

The Washington Capitals are the 2017-2018 Stanley Cup Champions, winning their first Stanley Cup in franchise history. They defeat the Vegas Golden Knights four games to one, with Vegas reaching the Stanley Cup Finals in their inaugural season. Capitals forward Alexander Ovechkin won the Conn Smythe Trophy as playoffs MVP.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell