2018 Current Events Study Guide

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

9021amyers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1377
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:22 am
Location: Atlanta

Re: 2018 Current Events Study Guide

Post by 9021amyers » Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:52 am

Bamaman wrote:
Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:31 am
That is the first time I have ever seen any of Cop Rock. That was so bad it was funny. It might have worked today in the multi-channel universe.
Being too young to remember Cop Rock, but old enough to be exposed to many jokes about it in popular culture, I always had imagined a much grittier soundtrack than Randy Newman twee pop.

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 8202
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: 2018 Current Events Study Guide

Post by MarkBarrett » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:18 pm

Kacey Musgraves:
7th on Nashville Star on Season 5
March 2018 album: Golden Hour
Previous albums: Same Trailer Different Park and Pageant Material

Charles Frazier new book: Varina about Varina Howell Davis the wife of Jefferson Davis

HBO movie: Paterno with Al Pacino playing Penn St. coach, Joe Paterno. Barry Levinson is the director.

Netflix TV show: Lost In Space with Parker Posey playing Dr. Smith (If you are a fan of the 1965 TV series then watch the trailer at your own risk. If you love the 1998 movie then it may be your cup of tea.)

9021amyers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1377
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:22 am
Location: Atlanta

Re: 2018 Current Events Study Guide

Post by 9021amyers » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:45 pm

Pro wrestling heel masquerading as a golfer Patrick Reed wins the 2018 Masters Tournament, despite the best efforts of All-American faces Rickie Fowler and Jordan Spieth.

Reed has a local connection to Augusta, having led the golf team at what was then called Augusta State University to back-to-back NCAA Division I national golf championships in 2010 and 2011; it accomplished this feat in spite of being a Division II school in all sports except golf. In 2013, Augusta State merged with nearby Georgia Health Sciences University; the combined institution’s new name, Georgia Regents University, was met with universal disapproval. By 2015, the school’s name was changed again, this time to Augusta University. Everyone seems fine with this.
Last edited by 9021amyers on Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

clprez
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 737
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:01 pm

Re: 2018 Current Events Study Guide

Post by clprez » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:42 pm

I have a feeling that there's bound to be a clue on the MLB player Shohei Ohtani soon.

The following are stats that I got from https://deadspin.com/shohei-ohtani-is-v ... 1825094229 are unbelieveable. He is so exciting to watch.
He leads the Angels in home runs, batting average, and OPS, and is second in runs batted in, and today he took a perfect game into the seventh inning. He threw 65 total pitches through the first five innings and racked up 10 f**king strikeouts.
Yes, he's both a pitcher and a DH.

User avatar
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 8202
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:37 am
Location: San Francisco

Re: 2018 Current Events Study Guide

Post by MarkBarrett » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:53 pm

clprez wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:42 pm
I have a feeling that there's bound to be a clue on the MLB player Shohei Ohtani soon.

The following are stats that I got from https://deadspin.com/shohei-ohtani-is-v ... 1825094229 are unbelieveable. He is so exciting to watch.
He leads the Angels in home runs, batting average, and OPS, and is second in runs batted in, and today he took a perfect game into the seventh inning. He threw 65 total pitches through the first five innings and racked up 10 f**king strikeouts.
Yes, he's both a pitcher and a DH.
A great start although a lot of it has been against the A's. The remote got a workout this afternoon with Ohtani working towards a perfect game, Dodgers/Giants in a close one, and that green jacket event.

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 5863
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: 2018 Current Events Study Guide

Post by alietr » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:26 am

clprez wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:42 pm
I have a feeling that there's bound to be a clue on the MLB player Shohei Ohtani soon.

The following are stats that I got from https://deadspin.com/shohei-ohtani-is-v ... 1825094229 are unbelieveable. He is so exciting to watch.
He leads the Angels in home runs, batting average, and OPS, and is second in runs batted in, and today he took a perfect game into the seventh inning. He threw 65 total pitches through the first five innings and racked up 10 f**king strikeouts.
Yes, he's both a pitcher and a DH.
Yeah, he's a pitcher and a DH and yesterday when he pitched they DH'ED FOR HIM! NL pitchers hit for themselves EVERY GAME THEY PITCH IN. This somehow offends me.

9021amyers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1377
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:22 am
Location: Atlanta

Re: 2018 Current Events Study Guide

Post by 9021amyers » Mon Apr 09, 2018 9:15 am

alietr wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:26 am
clprez wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:42 pm
I have a feeling that there's bound to be a clue on the MLB player Shohei Ohtani soon.

The following are stats that I got from https://deadspin.com/shohei-ohtani-is-v ... 1825094229 are unbelieveable. He is so exciting to watch.
He leads the Angels in home runs, batting average, and OPS, and is second in runs batted in, and today he took a perfect game into the seventh inning. He threw 65 total pitches through the first five innings and racked up 10 f**king strikeouts.
Yes, he's both a pitcher and a DH.
Yeah, he's a pitcher and a DH and yesterday when he pitched they DH'ED FOR HIM! NL pitchers hit for themselves EVERY GAME THEY PITCH IN. This somehow offends me.
Alas, he can’t DH for himself; the value of getting four at-bats from even a diminished Albert Pujols outweighs the value of batting Ohtani twice, then leaving a hole in the middle of the order to fill for the rest of the game.

Peter the accountant
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 437
Joined: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:13 am

Re: 2018 Current Events Study Guide

Post by Peter the accountant » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:37 pm

alietr wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:26 am
Yeah, [Ohtani is] a pitcher and a DH and yesterday when he pitched they DH'ED FOR HIM! NL pitchers hit for themselves EVERY GAME THEY PITCH IN. This somehow offends me.
I'm slowly coming to understand there are weird quirks in the AL DH rules. If Ohtani were to hit for himself as a pitcher, he could not stay in the game as a hitter when he came out as a pitcher. That leaves a team having to send in a pinch hitter every time the pitcher's spot comes up, or forcing any reliever to hit for themselves as well.

I don't get offended at the different rules in the AL vs NL. As a fan, it's fun to consider the different strategies that come into play in the two leagues.

As a side note - I fully expect the Angles to tweak their pitching rotation slightly as interleague games come up so that Ohtani will be sure to start in a game in every interleague series. There's no way they're going to have him sit out a 3 game series while visiting an NL team just because his spot in the rotation won't come up.
--Peter

9021amyers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1377
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:22 am
Location: Atlanta

Re: 2018 Current Events Study Guide

Post by 9021amyers » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:04 pm

Peter the accountant wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:37 pm
alietr wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:26 am
Yeah, [Ohtani is] a pitcher and a DH and yesterday when he pitched they DH'ED FOR HIM! NL pitchers hit for themselves EVERY GAME THEY PITCH IN. This somehow offends me.
I'm slowly coming to understand there are weird quirks in the AL DH rules. If Ohtani were to hit for himself as a pitcher, he could not stay in the game as a hitter when he came out as a pitcher. That leaves a team having to send in a pinch hitter every time the pitcher's spot comes up, or forcing any reliever to hit for themselves as well.

I don't get offended at the different rules in the AL vs NL. As a fan, it's fun to consider the different strategies that come into play in the two leagues.

As a side note - I fully expect the Angles to tweak their pitching rotation slightly as interleague games come up so that Ohtani will be sure to start in a game in every interleague series. There's no way they're going to have him sit out a 3 game series while visiting an NL team just because his spot in the rotation won't come up.
A team forfeits the designated hitter for the game if the player in the DH slot moves to a position in the field, but that player can essentially bat for himself if he enters the game as a relief pitcher. It would seem, then, that the optimal role for Ohtani would be an everyday DH who comes in to pitch when the Angels need a guy to go once through the batting order in the later innings.

squarekara
LEGO my Ego
Posts: 549
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:49 am
Location: Land o' Lincoln

Re: 2018 Current Events Study Guide

Post by squarekara » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:43 pm

Billy Mitchell has had his scores wiped from the Twin Galaxies record books and has been banned from competitive arcade gaming. They've at long last determined that his high-scoring games were the result of emulation software, not achieved on authentic arcade hardware. Fans of the movie "King of Kong" can cheer for Steve Wiebe who now gets credit for the first million-point Donkey Kong game.

IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1270
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 12:26 am

Re: 2018 Current Events Study Guide

Post by IronNeck » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:36 pm

squarekara wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:43 pm
Billy Mitchell has had his scores wiped from the Twin Galaxies record books and has been banned from competitive arcade gaming. They've at long last determined that his high-scoring games were the result of emulation software, not achieved on authentic arcade hardware. Fans of the movie "King of Kong" can cheer for Steve Wiebe who now gets credit for the first million-point Donkey Kong game.
As someone who has followed speedgaming for a long time and is friends with a lot of the people involved, I need to correct the various inaccuracies above;

1. Billy Mitchell has not been "banned from competitive arcade gaming". He has merely been banned from the Twin Galaxies website and his scores deleted.
2. Twin Galaxies is not a "record book". It's one of the first, but also the most irrelevant site keeping track of record times. Since 90+% of top players nowadays don't even bother submitting there, most of their world records are laughably off. Props to new owner Jace Hall for trying to regain a sliver of credibility and relevance with this ruling, though.
3. Billy's 3 1 million+ scores were either played on MAME (an arcade emulator) or otherwise obtained illegitimately, but his earlier world record from 1982 on Donkey Kong (the first version of MAME came out in 1998) is possibly legitimate.
4. Steve Wiebe's 1 million+ game was recorded over 3 years after King of Kong (which is still dishonest BS and an insult to the word "documentary") came out in 2007.

I also wouldn't get too excited. The verification of speedruns by TG back then was laughable to non-existent, despite their onerous submission process. Todd Rogers and Billy Mitchell are the two most high-profile cheaters, but there are undoubtedly many, many other cheated scores. Most of them won't be discovered, since they were recorded by people far less famous or arrogant than Mitchell or Rogers and were never world records.

But considering Wiebe was caught using an illegal game board at one point, even by the Barney Fifes at Twin Galaxies, I would be highly suspicious of his score also.

User avatar
xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1887
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:29 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: 2018 Current Events Study Guide

Post by xxaaaxx » Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:48 pm

Are there prizes for this? Are these people more famous than I'm aware of? If not, then that's a lot of cheating, and for what?

9021amyers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1377
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:22 am
Location: Atlanta

Re: 2018 Current Events Study Guide

Post by 9021amyers » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:04 pm

xxaaaxx wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:48 pm
Are there prizes for this? Are these people more famous than I'm aware of? If not, then that's a lot of cheating, and for what?
Level of fame depends on whether you think of the word “twitch” as something other than a muscle spasm.

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2942
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: 2018 Current Events Study Guide

Post by davey » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:05 pm

xxaaaxx wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:48 pm
Are there prizes for this? Are these people more famous than I'm aware of? If not, then that's a lot of cheating, and for what?
Certainly not for Jeopardy! current events study...

squarekara
LEGO my Ego
Posts: 549
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:49 am
Location: Land o' Lincoln

Re: 2018 Current Events Study Guide

Post by squarekara » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:53 pm

IronNeck wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:36 pm
I also wouldn't get too excited.
This is a pop culture blip for me, not a passion or a creed, so thanks for the details. However, this story was reported by the Chicago Tribune and other major outlets that identify Twin Galaxies as the largest tracker of scores in video gaming. Due to exposure through "King of Kong," it's likely the one most familiar to laymen. Do forgive the general term "record book" in my original post. I know it's not a Trapper Keeper in a desk drawer, but, whatever the archival means, Mitchell is no longer permitted to submit scores for consideration therein. Wiebe was the central figure of "King of Kong," and, with the scrapping of Mitchell's status, Wiebe's million-point score on Donkey Kong is currently acknowledged by TG as the first, regardless of when it was achieved. For the purposes of J! current events, I think any potential use of this story will be necessarily tied to "King of Kong"--maybe even in a film documentary category.

To put everything in perspective, let us mention
SpoilerShow
that Khloe Kardashian has given birth to her first child, a daughter. Cavs forward Tristan Thompson is the father.

IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1270
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 12:26 am

Re: 2018 Current Events Study Guide

Post by IronNeck » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:37 pm

squarekara wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:53 pm
IronNeck wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:36 pm
I also wouldn't get too excited.
This is a pop culture blip for me, not a passion or a creed, so thanks for the details. However, this story was reported by the Chicago Tribune and other major outlets that identify Twin Galaxies as the largest tracker of scores in video gaming.
Believe it or not, "major outlets" get shit wrong all the time. About everything. Most people just don't realize it because they're not experts on the given subject they're watching or reading. Also, think about what sounds better in an article; "Largest Tracker of Scores in Gaming Bans Billy Mitchell!" or "Antiquated and Irrelevant Website Bans Billy Mitchell!"?

Billy Mitchell being banned is indeed big news in the speedgaming world, but only because he is a very notorious figure, and any punishment of a famous cheater is always big news. Twin Galaxies, however, was a relevant website for speedgaming back around 2003 or so. (Right before the creation of Speed Demos Archive, which is itself irrelevant now, too!) That's like 5 lifetimes ago in speedgaming, heh.

I actually doubt this makes Jeopardy except maybe asking a player to identify the arcade game in question.

MattKnowles
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 427
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:33 pm

Re: 2018 Current Events Study Guide

Post by MattKnowles » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:04 am

Fortnite BR is a free to play multiplayer shooter/survival/cartoonish video game created by Epic Games and available on PC, consoles, and mobile. It's shown up on Learned League and J6! already. If you have no idea what this game is then consider watching the first minute of this tutorial which might help you answer clues about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FehINTf9a_4. Player Unknown Battle Grounds (PUBG) might be considered a predecessor of the game. It seems like most trivia clues are pinning the answer by referencing Epic Games.

John Krasinski stars in and directs "A Quiet Place" which also features his wife Emily Blunt.

Dwayne Johnson stars in "Rampage"

The film adaptation of Ernest Cline's "Ready Player One" is directed by Steven Spielberg.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 5929
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: 2018 Current Events Study Guide

Post by Volante » Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:18 pm

Milos Forman, director of One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Amadeus and Man on the Moon, has died
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-43767278

IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1270
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 12:26 am

Re: 2018 Current Events Study Guide

Post by IronNeck » Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:27 am

xxaaaxx wrote:
Thu Apr 12, 2018 9:48 pm
Are there prizes for this? Are these people more famous than I'm aware of? If not, then that's a lot of cheating, and for what?
Missed this, and it's a damn good question. While players with a world record do tend to get more views, subs, and cheers on Twitch (the last two of which involve money), it's a very minor amount of additional fame and fortune. At best.

But as it's been noted elsewhere, the more small-time and marginal an endeavor, the more vicious, petty, and underhanded.

User avatar
Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1380
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:12 pm
Location: Canton, Michigan

Re: 2018 Current Events Study Guide

Post by Blue Lion » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:03 pm

DBear wrote:
Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:50 pm
The Alliance of American Football announced its formation.

From Wikipedia

"The Alliance of American Football is a proposed professional football league set to play in February 2019, one week following the NFL's Super Bowl championship game. It is founded on March 20, 2018, by Charlie Ebersol, director of the original ESPN 30 for 30 documentary and son of NBC Sports president Dick Ebersol and will be overseen by former NFL general manager Bill Polian, former Pittsburgh Steelers safety Troy Polamalu and executive J.K. McKay. Advisers also include Hines Ward, Justin Tuck and Dick Ebersol himself. The Alliance will begin a 12-week season kicking-off February 9, 2019, on CBS. One regular-season game per week will air on CBS Sports Network, and culminating with the championship game the weekend of April 26–28, 2019 on CBS."

Certainly looks to be more serious than Vince McMahon's talk of bringing back the XFL.
Steve Spurrier will coach Orlando's AAF team. He won the Heisman Trophy as quarterback at the University of Florida in 1966 and later coached the Gators. Spurrier has asked Tim Tebow, who quarterbacked for him at Florida, to join Orlando. Tebow is currently playing AA ball in the Mets' system.

Spurrier, nicknamed "the Head Ball Coach", became the first Heisman winner to coach a Heisman winner when Florida's Danny Wuerffel won the award in 1996.

https://www.si.com/college-football/201 ... -tebow-aaf

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BeatrisL, boson, Google [Bot] and 35 guests