2018 Current Events Study Guide

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: 2018 Current Events Study Guide

Post by seaborgium »

triviawayne wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:32 am
dhkendall wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:17 pm
Bamaman wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:31 am Mort Walker, creator of Beetle Bailey, has died st the age of 94.
Beetle's stint in the army lasted much longer than the Korean War itself.
So did some obscure TV show about the Korean War...took place in a MASH unit I believe...
You really should check out the link you removed when quoting him.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:09 am
triviawayne wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:32 am
dhkendall wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:17 pm
Bamaman wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:31 am Mort Walker, creator of Beetle Bailey, has died st the age of 94.
Beetle's stint in the army lasted much longer than the Korean War itself.
So did some obscure TV show about the Korean War...took place in a MASH unit I believe...
You really should check out the link you removed when quoting him.
didn't even notice it was a link
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Blue Lion »

Baseball player Oscar Gamble died at the age of 68. He hit 200 homers in 17 seasons, but is best remembered for having the best Afro in major league history. Unfortunately, Gamble had to lose his Afro (and an endorsement deal with Afro Sheen) because he was traded to the Yankees--which had strict rules about facial hair.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

FBI ineptitude, non-political variety.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/02/03/s ... wj6ud1xMDW
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Father Time is still undefeated.

Feel free to revisit this post if #12 hoists the Lombardi in 2019. Or 2020.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:17 pm Father Time is still undefeated.

Feel free to revisit this post if #12 hoists the Lombardi in 2019. Or 2020.
He threw for 505 yards and three TDs. Father Time may be undefeated, but he didn’t win this battle.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Just so we have an actual post with the details...

Philadelphia Eagles def. New England Patriots 41-33 (is there any defense in this league anymore...) to win Super Bowl LII. This is the Eagles' first Super Bowl win in three tries, and their first league title in 58 years. Nick Foles, who started the year as a backup to the injured Carson Wentz, was named MVP.

Justin Timberlake performed the halftime show, for the first time since the assinine 'wardrobe malfunction' controversy during the half of SB XXXVIII in 2004.

I think that covers all of the trivia angles (at least the ones that migth show up on a generalist show like J!)?
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

xxaaaxx wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:11 am Justin Timberlake performed the halftime show.
And he was not involved in any wardrobe malfunctions this time. :D
--Peter
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

xxaaaxx wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:11 am Just so we have an actual post with the details...

Philadelphia Eagles def. New England Patriots 41-33 (is there any defense in this league anymore...) to win Super Bowl LII. This is the Eagles' first Super Bowl win in three tries, and their first league title in 58 years. Nick Foles, who started the year as a backup to the injured Carson Wentz, was named MVP.

Justin Timberlake performed the halftime show, for the first time since the assinine 'wardrobe malfunction' controversy during the half of SB XXXVIII in 2004.

I think that covers all of the trivia angles (at least the ones that migth show up on a generalist show like J!)?
At one point in the halftime show Prince appeared on some sort of video screen, while JT performed "I Would Die 4 U".
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:48 am
xxaaaxx wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:11 am Just so we have an actual post with the details...

At one point in the halftime show Prince appeared on some sort of video screen, while JT performed "I Would Die 4 U".
Thereby cementing the SB's stranglehold on bad taste writ large.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

That was probably assured when Martin Luther King appeared in a truck commercial.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Bamaman wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:12 pm That was probably assured when Martin Luther King appeared in a truck commercial.
Agreed. My journalist friend and I had a lengthy discussion of when such things enter the public domain. Regardless, it left a bad taste in my mouth.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

After the game, NBC showed an episode of This is Us in which it was revealed that Jack Pearson (played by Milo Ventimiglia) saved his family (including the family dog) from the fire that burned down their house; however, he later died in the hospital as the result of smoke inhalation.

I have a feeling that a This is Us question will come up on the next online test.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Blue Lion wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:31 pm After the game, NBC showed an episode of This is Us in which it was revealed that Jack Pearson (played by Milo Ventimiglia) saved his family (including the family dog) from the fire that burned down their house; however, he later died in the hospital as the result of smoke inhalation.

I have a feeling that a This is Us question will come up on the next online test.
Not J! and more six-figures on Millionaire: Rebecca (Mandy Moore) bought a Mars Bar from the hospital vending machine while being unaware of the rush of medical attention for her husband.

Every grade school kid learns you don't go back in the house once you have escaped from a fire. Jack, safely outside, went back in not only to get the dog but to also pick up a bag's worth of family mementos. And then there are the smoke detector batteries, the slow cooker...

More Millionaire type again: Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle is the first movie since Titanic in 1997-98 to open in December and to top the box office in February.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Woof wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:27 pm
Bamaman wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:12 pm That was probably assured when Martin Luther King appeared in a truck commercial.
Agreed. My journalist friend and I had a lengthy discussion of when such things enter the public domain. Regardless, it left a bad taste in my mouth.
I think the bad taste is Tide :lol:
(best ad campaign of the night)
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

twelvefootboy wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:28 pm
I think the bad taste is Tide :lol:
(best ad campaign of the night)
... especially if you just finished binge watching both seasons of Stranger Things earlier in the day.
davey

Post by davey »

The speech is not in the public domain. Its use was approved by (part of) the King family...

https://www.wabe.org/ad-using-mlk-speec ... ng-family/
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Later in the speech used in the ad, King criticized car commercials.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:02 pm Not J! and more six-figures on Millionaire: Rebecca (Mandy Moore) bought a Mars Bar from the hospital vending machine while being unaware of the rush of medical attention for her husband.
Mars is a privately-owned company and is famous for its secrecy. Some years ago, Mrs. Blue Lion was writing an article about Uncle Ben (a Mars-owned brand) for the Oxford Encyclopedia of Food and Drink and got blown off by the company's PR department. It wasn't anything personal; Mars had also recently blown off a Wall Street Journal reporter.

That said, last fall Mars granted a rare Golden Ticket to a reporter from NJ.com, and allowed her to visit the company's headquarters and tour the candy factory.

Fun fact: In 1995, Mars ran a contest to choose a new M&Ms color to replace tan. At a University of Michigan basketball game we attended, fans were given ballots and asked to choose the new color. Of course we voted for blue--which, as it turned out, was the winning color nationwide.
Last edited by Blue Lion on Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

xxaaaxx wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:11 am I think that covers all of the trivia angles (at least the ones that migth show up on a generalist show like J!)?
One more possible item: "The Champion", by Carrie Underwood featuring Ludacris (the song that opened the Super Bowl broadcast), rose to #1 on iTunes, surpassing “Say Something,” “Filthy,” and “Can’t Stop the Feeling!” all by Justin Timberlake.