2018 Current Events Study Guide

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: 2018 Current Events Study Guide

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

davey wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:11 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:50 am I was checking to see if they'd announced the Nobel winner for Literature yet, and I discovered that I had no memory of last year's winner. Like a vague, oh yeah that happened I guess, but Dylan 2 years ago overshadowed it.
There will be no Nobel Prize for Literature this year, a fact that may itself work its way into a J! clue...next time they have the #metoo category... ;)

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/04/worl ... ademy.html
See, and those headlines came up when I searched, but until you mentioned it just now, nothing clicked. But yeah, I guess I read that at some point too. Heck, it's probably in this thread somewhere.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:38 pm
davey wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:11 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:50 am I was checking to see if they'd announced the Nobel winner for Literature yet, and I discovered that I had no memory of last year's winner. Like a vague, oh yeah that happened I guess, but Dylan 2 years ago overshadowed it.
There will be no Nobel Prize for Literature this year, a fact that may itself work its way into a J! clue...next time they have the #metoo category... ;)

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/04/worl ... ademy.html
See, and those headlines came up when I searched, but until you mentioned it just now, nothing clicked. But yeah, I guess I read that at some point too. Heck, it's probably in this thread somewhere.
Nope, I think I was too clever for my own good when it was announced in May. "I'll just cover this during Nobel Week," I likely thought. And now I thought I already covered it back then as hinted at by my calling Chemistry the penultimate award. (Economics can go rot.)

:oops:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
earendel
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by earendel »

Denis Mukwege and Nadia Murad are awarded the Nobel Peace Prize for their work to end sexual violence as a weapon of war. Mukwege is from the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Murad is from Iraq. Both are the first from their respective countries to win any sort of Nobel Prize.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

So since the ugliness of the last few weeks hardly needs a post of its own, rather than just state the obvious, I thought I'd leave a SCOTUS post up in case anyone needs to memorize it for trivia purposes.

Current Supreme Court of the United States:

name/president who appointed them/sworn in/confirmation vote

Clarence Thomas, GHW Bush, 10/23/1991, 52-48
Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Clinton, 8/10/1993, 96-3
Stephen Breyer, Clinton, 8/3/1994, 87-9
Chief Justice John Roberts, GW Bush, 9/29/2005, 78-22
Samuel Alito, GW Bush, 1/31/2006, 58-42
Sonia Sotomayor, Obama, 8/8/2009, 68-31
Elena Kagan, Obama, 8/7/2010, 63-37
Neil Gorsuch, Trump, 4/10/2017, 54-45

Brett Kavanaugh, Trump, 10/6/2018, 50-48
Volante

Post by Volante »

And in bonus fake Nobel news!

https://earther.gizmodo.com/the-economi ... 1829596766
William Nordhaus, a Yale economist and Paul Romer, the former head of the World Bank, are this year’s recipients of the Nobel prize in economics for their pioneering work on climate change and technological innovation.
What Nordhaus did was basically build a bridge between models of carbon pollution, climate change, and economics. The goal was to look at how climate change affected society and as the Nobel committee put it in its announcement, “closing the loop [of] how the path of economic activity leads to emissions of fossil carbon.”
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Volante

Post by Volante »

https://deadspin.com/refs-flag-excessiv ... 1829613626

Drew Brees (Saints) breaks the NFL all time passing yardage record set by Peyton Manning three years ago.
Play was stopped, a whole thing went on involving the NFL and the NFL Hall of Fame.
And in absolutely predictable fashion, the Saints were flagged for excessive celebration. :lol:
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Mitch Albom sequel to The Five People You Meet in Heaven: The Next Person You Meet in Heaven

Bill O'Reilly & Martin Dugard book: Killing the SS: The Hunt for the Worst War Criminals in History
Volante

Post by Volante »

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-awar ... SKCN1MK02A

Taylor Swift has now won a record four Artist of the Year AMAs, the most awarded female artist and one shy of tying the AMA record (24, Michael Jackson). For 2018, she also won Tour of the Year, Favorite Female Artist (Pop/Rock), and Favorite Album (Pop/Rock) for reputation

New Artist of the Year went to Camila Cabello who also got Collaboration of the Year and Video of the Year for Havana

Panic! at the Disco is still a thing that exists

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_ ... ds_of_2018
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:42 pm Mitch Albom sequel to The Five People You Meet in Heaven: The Next Person You Meet in Heaven
The Washington Post's review of the book is titled "Reading ‘The Next Person You Meet in Heaven’ is hell"
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Fine, I'll do it:

The painting "Girl with a Balloon" by famed artist Banksy was ripped to shreds immediately after it sold for $1.4 million at a London auction house.
Spoiler
Betty Grissom (91) died and will be buried at Arlington National Cemetery where husband (astronaut) Gus is interred.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Pope Francis canonize Paul VI & Salvadoran Archbishop Oscar Romero.
Volante

Post by Volante »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-45881852
Anna Burns has been named the winner of this year's Man Booker Prize - becoming the first author from Northern Ireland to triumph.

Milkman, set in an unnamed Northern Irish city during the Troubles, is a coming-of-age story about a young girl's affair with a married man.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

Middleweight world boxing champion Saul “Canelo” Alvarez signed the largest contract in sports history, a $365 million deal with the upstart DAZN streaming service to broadcast his next 11 fights. The agreement comes after HBO, Canelo’s previous TV partner, recently announced it would discontinue boxing coverage at the end of 2018.
Peachbox
Sports Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Peachbox »

Barcelona's Sagrada Familia to pay authorities 36 million euros ($41 million) over 10 years to obtain a building permit and make other improvements, 136 years after construction began.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

Peachbox wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:26 pm Barcelona's Sagrada Familia to pay authorities 36 million euros ($41 million) over 10 years to obtain a building permit and make other improvements, 136 years after construction began.
Normally, a church building project would receive lenient treatment from the regulating bodies, but the Sagrada Familia’s facade is really Gaudi.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

9021amyers wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:52 pm
Peachbox wrote: Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:26 pm Barcelona's Sagrada Familia to pay authorities 36 million euros ($41 million) over 10 years to obtain a building permit and make other improvements, 136 years after construction began.
Normally, a church building project would receive lenient treatment from the regulating bodies, but the Sagrada Familia’s facade is really Gaudi.
Could have been worse. The owners of the Tower fell behind in their taxes, and the city of Pisa slapped a lien on it.
Volante

Post by Volante »

https://thetakeout.com/dorcas-reilly-cr ... 1829973051
Dorcas Reilly, the creator of the green bean casserole, has died at the age of 92.
In 1955, Reilly created what Campbell’s calls “the mother of all comfort foods” by combining two pantry staples. Back then, it was called “Green Bean Bake;” last year, the digital version of the recipe got 2.7 million visits during the holidays, per the AP.
Volante

Post by Volante »

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-irel ... SKCN1N10SJ
Michael D. Higgins, a left-wing former arts minister who enjoyed the support of three of the four largest political parties, easily won re-election to the largely ceremonial role with 56 percent of the vote, the electoral commission said.
More likely to show up in some form is the following:
Irish voters also looked set to remove the offense of blasphemy from the constitution in a referendum held alongside the election. Exit polls and early results indicated the measure had been backed by more than two-thirds of voters.

It is currently illegal to publish or speak of anything “grossly abusive or insulting in relation to matters sacred by any religion”.

The exit polls are the latest sign of the waning influence of the Catholic religion in Ireland, five months after voters overwhelmingly backed a bid to overturn a ban on abortion.

An attempt to charge British broadcaster Stephen Fry last year for referring to god as “capricious, mean-minded (and) stupid” was dropped last year. One police source told the Irish Independent the case was abandoned because they failed to find “a substantial number of outraged people” as required by law.
Volante

Post by Volante »