2018 Current Events Study Guide

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: 2018 Current Events Study Guide

Post by MarkBarrett »

Volante wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:27 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 12:14 am Since not everyone pays so much attention to the movies as others the full title of the Rockwell & McDormand film is: Three Billboards Outside Hibbing, Missouri
Ebbing, Missouri*

But the Beatty/Dunaway bit might come up. They were the presenters last year, so they must've done a good job to earn a call back...
The ghost of Roger Maris must be haunting me. Thanks. I'll fix my post.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Volante wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:48 pm Best Original Song - Remember Me (Coco, Kristen Anderson-Lopez and Robert Lopez, also of 'Let It Go' infamy)
Robert Lopez completed an EGOT when he won for "Let It Go," and this win makes him the first person to win more than one of each award.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Something else from the ceremony that may get a J! mention is the phrase "inclusion rider" -- Frances McDormand advocated for them in her acceptance speech. (It's a contract provision -- usually something that an A-list actor would negotiate for -- guaranteeing diversity among the entire cast and crew of a film.)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

They could probably make a complete Current Active Volcano Events category... (or if J! drops the ball, someone enterprising could make one for the SHC... 8-) )
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-japa ... SKCN1GI0KN
Shinmoedake, in a largely rural area some 985 km (616 miles) from Tokyo on Japan’s southernmost main island of Kyushu, had been erupting on a smaller scale since March 1, when entrance to the 1,421 meter-high peak was restricted.

Television footage showed smoke and ash billowing high into the sky, with lava visible deep inside a crater at the mountain, which featured in the 1967 James Bond movie “You Only Live Twice”
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Two of the more famous (or infamous depending on one's rooting interest) NFL referees are retiring: Ed Hochuli & Jeff Triplette

Charger fans can't cheer too loudly for Ed "Guns" Hochuli's departure as his son Shawn is getting a promotion.
earendel

Post by earendel »

Speaking of the NFL, Pizza Hut has replaced Papa John's as its official pizza.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
badgerfellow
One and Done

Post by badgerfellow »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:54 pm Two of the more famous (or infamous depending on one's rooting interest) NFL referees are retiring: Ed Hochuli & Jeff Triplette

Charger fans can't cheer too loudly for Ed "Guns" Hochuli's departure as his son Shawn is getting a promotion.
Another of Ed's fine contributions: being the Logical Fallacy Referee.

Volante

Post by Volante »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43313147
Coca-Cola is planning to produce an alcoholic drink for the first time in the company's 125-year history - with an alcopop-style product in Japan.

It is keen to cash in on the country's growing taste for Chu-Hi - canned sparkling flavoured drinks given a kick with a local spirit called shochu.

The product is typically between 3% and 8% alcohol by volume.
Note, this is not the company's first -intoxicating- drink...as the 'Coca' part of the name comes from one of its first ingredients: cocaine.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-43296489
The wreck of [the USS Lexington, aka 'Lady Lex'] that was sunk during World War Two has been found off the coast of Australia.
The US Navy confirmed the ship had been discovered by a search team led by Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen.
Volkswagen is putting the Beetle into hibernation next year, but will be introducing an electric van based on the Bus
https://jalopnik.com/the-volkswagen-bee ... 1823577839
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Volante wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:22 am
The wreck of [the USS Lexington, aka 'Lady Lex'] that was sunk during World War Two has been found off the coast of Australia.
The US Navy confirmed the ship had been discovered by a search team led by Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen.
Speaking of Paul Allen ... I'll tell my story about him ... I was on a team that was evaluating his potential investment in cable companies. One of my bosses and I flew out to Seattle for the meeting where his investment company would be making their final decision. We were told that it was possible he would show up at the meeting, but it was unlikely. The meeting was going on, and around noon, some guy poked his head into the room and looked around. I said to myself, "Great! They're finally bringing lunch in!" He comes into the room, walks to the head of the table, and sits down. It was Paul Allen. I had mistaken one of the wealthiest men in the world for a waiter (and my boss had thought the same thing, so it wasn't just me). Which is how unassuming he is. And yes, I did get to answer one of his questions.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

alietr wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:50 pm
Volante wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:22 am
Speaking of Paul Allen ... I'll tell my story about him ... I was on a team that was evaluating his potential investment in cable companies. One of my bosses and I flew out to Seattle for the meeting where his investment company would be making their final decision. We were told that it was possible he would show up at the meeting, but it was unlikely. The meeting was going on, and around noon, some guy poked his head into the room and looked around. I said to myself, "Great! They're finally bringing lunch in!" He comes into the room, walks to the head of the table, and sits down. It was Paul Allen. I had mistaken one of the wealthiest men in the world for a waiter (and my boss had thought the same thing, so it wasn't just me). Which is how unassuming he is. And yes, I did get to answer one of his questions.

http://78.media.tumblr.com/1a61a7651b7b ... o2_250.gif
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

Blue Lion wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:31 pm After the game, NBC showed an episode of This is Us in which it was revealed that Jack Pearson (played by Milo Ventimiglia) saved his family (including the family dog) from the fire that burned down their house; however, he later died in the hospital as the result of smoke inhalation.

I have a feeling that a This is Us question will come up on the next online test.
Thanks, from a fellow near-Ann Arborite. I reviewed this item an hour before the test, and what you wrote stuck in my brain when I saw an NBC question and had no idea about the clue. So +1 tonight for that.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Anachronism wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:48 pm
Blue Lion wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:31 pm After the game, NBC showed an episode of This is Us in which it was revealed that Jack Pearson (played by Milo Ventimiglia) saved his family (including the family dog) from the fire that burned down their house; however, he later died in the hospital as the result of smoke inhalation.

I have a feeling that a This is Us question will come up on the next online test.
Thanks, from a fellow near-Ann Arborite. I reviewed this item an hour before the test, and what you wrote stuck in my brain when I saw an NBC question and had no idea about the clue. So +1 tonight for that.
My pleasure. Hope you passed with flying colors.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

The Merriam-Webster dictionary added more than 850 words. They include "dumpster fire" and "embiggen", as well as "self-care", "welp", "cryptocurrency", "initial coin offering", and "chiweenie" (a cross between a Chihuahua and a daschhund).

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/even-mer ... 00502.html

New words occasionally come up as Jeopardy categories. I wouldn't be surprised if "embiggen", "cromulent", and "Lisa Simpson" show up in some form.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I don't know how to best word it: McDonald's flipped its arches in honor of International Women's Day today at participating restaurants.
Drangvoor
Contributor

Post by Drangvoor »

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/08/us/p ... ement.html
A: These two commodities were the objects of tariffs imposed by President Trump.
Spoiler
What are aluminum and steel?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/as ... story.html
A: On March 8, President Trump agreed to meet with the leader of this country, something no other president has been willing to do.
Spoiler
What is North Korea?
Volante

Post by Volante »

Drangvoor wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:50 pm https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/as ... story.html
A: On March 8, President Trump agreed to meet with the leader of this country, something no other president has been willing to do.
Spoiler
What is North Korea?
*No serving president.
Spoiler
Jimmy Carter met with Kim Il Sung in 1994, Bill Clinton with Kim Jong Il in 2009.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Retailers on the brink:
  • Toys "R" Us may close all of its stores and liquidate its inventory. Since 1969, the chain has been represented by cartoon mascot Geoffrey the Giraffe. Its jingle was "I don't want to grow up, I'm a Toys 'R' Us kid."
  • Claire's Stores, a fixture in most malls, is on the brink of bankruptcy. It sells jewelry to girls and young women.
China's parliament abolished term limits, thus allowing President Xi Jinping to stay in office indefinitely--and allowing him to come up again on Jeopardy.

At its just-concluded party congress, France's National Front abolished founder Jean-Marie Le Pen's position of "president for life", an honorary office he retained in spite of having been expelled from the party for making anti-Semitic statements. The congress also elected Le Pen's daughter, Marnie, to another term as party president.
Last edited by Blue Lion on Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Volante

Post by Volante »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-43375454
French fashion designer Hubert de Givenchy, who created famous looks for Audrey Hepburn and Jackie Kennedy, has died at the age of 91.
Givenchy was perhaps most famous for creating the iconic "little black dress" worn by Audrey Hepburn in the opening scene of Breakfast at Tiffany's.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Volante wrote: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:22 am http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-43313147
Coca-Cola is planning to produce an alcoholic drink for the first time in the company's 125-year history - with an alcopop-style product in Japan.

It is keen to cash in on the country's growing taste for Chu-Hi - canned sparkling flavoured drinks given a kick with a local spirit called shochu.

The product is typically between 3% and 8% alcohol by volume.
Note, this is not the company's first -intoxicating- drink...as the 'Coca' part of the name comes from one of its first ingredients: cocaine.
Thank you. Less than five minutes after I read this, it came up in FleetWit's weekly "Last Week In The News" quiz.
Sprinkles are for winners.
Volante

Post by Volante »

Boaty update, more just because rather than the chance of another dedicated category. :D
http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-43378290
"Boaty McBoatface" has executed its most daring dive yet.

The nation's favourite yellow submarine swam under a near-600m thick ice shelf in the Antarctic, returning safely to its launch ship after 48 hours away.