2018 Current Events Study Guide

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

9021amyers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: 2018 Current Events Study Guide

Post by 9021amyers »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:31 pm Is this guy looking for a third clue appearance?
Spoiler

#7544, aired 2017-06-01 WHAT'S THE SCORE? $400: John Isner 70, Nicolas Mahut 68 in the 5th set of the longest match in the history of this sport
#7119, aired 2015-07-23 TODAY'S TENNIS STARS $1200: (I'm John Isner.) In June 2010 I won what was to that time the longest match in history--over 11 hours--in this Grand Slam tournament

22-22 in the 5th set (against South African Kevin Anderson) with Nadal & Djokovic still to come. I figure if I post about it then the first match will finally end.
John Isner has everyone like Shao Khan in Mortal Kombat 3 with this match where they stay tied forever...

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

https://deadspin.com/angelique-kerber-e ... 1827601228
Angelique Kerber made short work of Serena Williams in the final, 6-3, 6-3, to capture her first Wimbledon title
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Volante

Post by Volante »

France 4 - Croatia 2
https://deadspin.com/france-topple-croa ... 1827611515

France wins their 2nd Cup in 20 years (their previous, and only prior, win was 1998)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

Novak Djokovic defeated Kevin Anderson in straight sets for his fourth Wimbledon gentlemen’s singles title, and his 13th Grand Slam single’s title overall. Djokovic’s Slam total ranks fourth in the history of men’s tennis, just behind Pete Sampras’ 14.

Novak may be the third-greatest player of all-time, but had the misfortune of spending his career playing alongside the first and second-greatest players in Federer and Nadal: in his prime between 2013 and 2015, Novak was better than either of them. After earning the Career Grand Slam at the 2016 French Open, though, Djokovic entered a prolonged slump, while both his rivals have experienced late-career resurgences. Perhaps this victory means Novak will have his own second act.

At this point, the Great Triumvirate may rule the court forever.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Another film reboot of Charlie's Angels is in the works. The "Angels" will be played by Kristen Stewart, Naomi Scott, and Ella Balinska. Elizabeth Banks will direct the film and also play Bosley.

The original film version, released in 2000, starred Cameron Diaz, Drew Barrymore, and Lucy Liu. Bill Murray played Bosley.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/entertainment ... ar-BBL6okn
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Blue Lion wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:43 am Another film reboot of Charlie's Angels is in the works. The "Angels" will be played by Kristen Stewart, Naomi Scott, and Ella Balinska. Elizabeth Banks will direct the film and also play Bosley.
Kristen Stewart? Oh my, what a horrible miscast. This is as bad as when they cast Nicole Kidman in The Stepford Wives. (She's playing the woman who ISN'T a robot? Seriously? How can we tell?)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Tour de France winner: Geraint Thomas
Nickname: G

Pitched a no-hitter: Sean Newcomb (Braves 4 & Dodgers 0)
Who?:  Some nobody that will never do another thing in his career and was unheard of before today.

2-out hit in the 9th by Chris Taylor. Newcomb was then of course yanked with 134 pitches thrown.

I know we have to be nice to J! contestants. Does that apply to athletes from the opposite coast as well?
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:23 pm Tour de France winner: Geraint Thomas
Nickname: G

Pitched a no-hitter: Sean Newcomb (Braves 4 & Dodgers 0)
Who?:  Some nobody that will never do another thing in his career and was unheard of before today.

2-out hit in the 9th by Chris Taylor. Newcomb was then of course yanked with 134 pitches thrown.

I know we have to be nice to J! contestants. Does that apply to athletes from the opposite coast as well?
Depends. The opposite coast to Atlanta would be ... Morocco?
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

This was the last thread on page one, so I'll bump with it looks like Lance Bass could be perhaps maybe buying The Brady Bunch house: http://www.latimes.com/business/realest ... story.html
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Charlotte Rae, who played Mrs. Garrett on Diff'rent Strokes and The Facts of Life has passed away at age 92. In related news, this might be the saddest Tweet I've ever seen.
bridges.png
bridges.png (312.91 KiB) Viewed 5721 times
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:55 am Charlotte Rae, who played Mrs. Garrett on Diff'rent Strokes and The Facts of Life has passed away at age 92. In related news, this might be the saddest Tweet I've ever seen.

bridges.png
Yes, very sad. For some earlier work by Charlotte Rae she played "The Twitch" with Bilko's boys betting how many times she would tug, twich, pull while giving a presentation.
Spoiler
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

Today (8/8), ESPN2 has been transformed into “the Ocho,” the channel devoted to obscure sports invented by the 2004 movie Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story.

Remember this schedule: I could see the writers having fun with a “sports on the Ocho” category.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Michael Moore documentary out next month: Fahrenheit 11/9

Nov. 9th (11/9) was day in 2016 AP called the election for Donald Trump.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8632862/
Volante

Post by Volante »

Apropos of nothing...nothing at all...World Of Warcraft's 7th expansion, Battle for Azeroth, launched 13 Aug.

The Eagles album, "Their Greatest Hits (1971-1975)" has been certified 38x platinum and is now the best selling album of all time, dropping Michael Jackson's Thriller into a distant second at only 33x platinum.
RIAA also said that the Eagles' "Hotel California," released in 1977, is now 26x platinum and makes it the third best-selling album of all-time.

The last time RIAA tallied sales for the Eagles' greatest hits album was in 2006, when it said it was 29x platinum. Sales and streams for "Thriller" were last updated last year.
https://apnews.com/3c0b39a1bb5b4e44aafe ... f-all-time
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Volante wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:02 pm
RIAA also said that the Eagles' "Hotel California," released in 1977, is now 26x platinum and makes it the third best-selling album of all-time.

The last time RIAA tallied sales for the Eagles' greatest hits album was in 2006, when it said it was 29x platinum. Sales and streams for "Thriller" were last updated last year.
https://apnews.com/3c0b39a1bb5b4e44aafe ... f-all-time
[/quote]

On my last trip from Michigan to Jersey, I listened to both of those albums. Our library belongs to the Hoopla consortium, which allows cardholders to download from a vast library of recorded music. (I also downloaded some Springsteen.)

Aretha Franklin's passing is very big news here in the Detroit area. Facts that might come up: In 1987 she became the first female performer inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Franklin had 112 songs on the various Billboard charts, including 77 on the Billboard Hot 100. She had two Billboard Hot 100 #1 hits: “Respect” (1967) and “I Knew You Were Waiting (For Me)” (1989, with George Michael). Her best known songs include “Respect”, “Think” (which she famously performed in The Blues Brothers), and “(You Make Me Fell Like a) Natural Woman”, a song written by Carole King. She had 20 #1 songs on the Billboard R&B charts, the most recent of which was “Freeway of Love” (1985). Her father, C.L. Franklin, was a famous Baptist minister and civil-rights activist in Detroit; Reverend Franklin, UAW head Walter Reuther, and Martin Luther King led a march in Detroit in 1963, after which Dr. King delivered a version of his "I Have a Dream" speech.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

California official state sport: surfing

Governor Brown signed the bill this week and the writers could easily make a fair FJ! clue with the material here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._state_sports
Volante

Post by Volante »

Kalashnikov is making an electric car
https://jalopnik.com/the-russian-compan ... 1828558067
Volante

Post by Volante »

Flash card update time:
Malcolm Turnbull is out as Australian PM. In is Scott Morrison.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-45292637
Scott Morrison has become Australia's new prime minister after Malcolm Turnbull was forced out by party rivals in a bruising leadership contest.

Mr Turnbull is the fourth Australian PM in a decade to be ousted by colleagues.
Clue Jungry
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Clue Jungry »

Forbes released its lists of the highest-paid actresses and actors for 2018.

For the women, Scarlett Johansson led with $40.5 million, followed by Angelina Jolie, Jennifer Aniston, Jennifer Lawrence, and Reese Witherspoon. For the men, George Clooney was No. 1 with $239 million, almost all of which came from the sale of Casamigos Tequila to a British conglomerate. The other actors in the Top 5 are Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, Robert Downey, Jr., Chris Hemsworth, and Jackie Chan.