2018 Current Events Study Guide

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

9021amyers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1400
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:22 am
Location: Atlanta

Re: 2018 Current Events Study Guide

Post by 9021amyers » Wed May 09, 2018 1:49 pm

Woof wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 1:38 pm
IronNeck wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 1:09 am
earendel wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 4:11 pm
President Trump pulls US out of the nuclear deal with Iran, citing continuing efforts on Iran's part to develop such weapons and support for terrorist organizations such as Hezbollah and the continuing conflicts in Iraq, Syria and Yemen.
President Trump also specifically cited Israel's recently intelligence coup that indicated Iran was lying all along and repeatedly violating the deal. He withdraws despite a number of European diplomats trying to convince him to stay, including (interestingly enough) Boris Johnson.
To be clear, Israel's "coup" disclosed that Iran had a weapons program *prior* to the start of the agreement. None of their intelligence, or anyone else's, has suggested that Iran has pursued nuclear weapons since the inception of the agreement.
But it did guarantee around-the-clock saber-rattling on Fox News, which is 45’s sole source of information.

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 5906
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: 2018 Current Events Study Guide

Post by alietr » Wed May 09, 2018 5:19 pm

Um ... just the facts here, please, before this quickly spins out of control. Any editorializing can be done on Reretaken Down.

9021amyers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1400
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:22 am
Location: Atlanta

Re: 2018 Current Events Study Guide

Post by 9021amyers » Wed May 09, 2018 5:43 pm

California will become the first state to require new homes to be installed with solar panels, beginning in 2020.

Increased solar energy production is leading to a utilities dilemma known as the “duck curve.”


IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1270
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 12:26 am

Re: 2018 Current Events Study Guide

Post by IronNeck » Wed May 09, 2018 7:24 pm

Woof wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 1:38 pm
IronNeck wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 1:09 am
earendel wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 4:11 pm
President Trump pulls US out of the nuclear deal with Iran, citing continuing efforts on Iran's part to develop such weapons and support for terrorist organizations such as Hezbollah and the continuing conflicts in Iraq, Syria and Yemen.
President Trump also specifically cited Israel's recently intelligence coup that indicated Iran was lying all along and repeatedly violating the deal. He withdraws despite a number of European diplomats trying to convince him to stay, including (interestingly enough) Boris Johnson.
To be clear, Israel's "coup" disclosed that Iran had a weapons program *prior* to the start of the agreement. None of their intelligence, or anyone else's, has suggested that Iran has pursued nuclear weapons since the inception of the agreement.
Wrong. What's truly astonishing about your claim is that EVEN people strongly in favor of the Iran deal openly admit that yes, Iran is pursuing nuclear weapons. I can quote a number of secondary sources, but here is the primary one, which you evidently didn't watch;



Meanwhile, I would love to know from what source you get that statement, or if it's editorializing?

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 5984
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: 2018 Current Events Study Guide

Post by Volante » Wed May 09, 2018 7:49 pm

IronNeck wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 7:24 pm
SpoilerShow
Woof wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 1:38 pm
IronNeck wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 1:09 am
earendel wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 4:11 pm
President Trump pulls US out of the nuclear deal with Iran, citing continuing efforts on Iran's part to develop such weapons and support for terrorist organizations such as Hezbollah and the continuing conflicts in Iraq, Syria and Yemen.
President Trump also specifically cited Israel's recently intelligence coup that indicated Iran was lying all along and repeatedly violating the deal. He withdraws despite a number of European diplomats trying to convince him to stay, including (interestingly enough) Boris Johnson.
To be clear, Israel's "coup" disclosed that Iran had a weapons program *prior* to the start of the agreement. None of their intelligence, or anyone else's, has suggested that Iran has pursued nuclear weapons since the inception of the agreement.
Wrong. What's truly astonishing about your claim is that EVEN people strongly in favor of the Iran deal openly admit that yes, Iran is pursuing nuclear weapons. I can quote a number of secondary sources, but here is the primary one, which you evidently didn't watch;



Meanwhile, I would love to know from what source you get that statement, or if it's editorializing?
Take it to Retaken Down otherwise I'll have to call in the big guns. This is definitely not the thread for that.

IronNeck
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1270
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 12:26 am

Re: 2018 Current Events Study Guide

Post by IronNeck » Wed May 09, 2018 8:22 pm

Volante wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 7:49 pm
IronNeck wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 7:24 pm
SpoilerShow
Woof wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 1:38 pm
IronNeck wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 1:09 am
earendel wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 4:11 pm
President Trump pulls US out of the nuclear deal with Iran, citing continuing efforts on Iran's part to develop such weapons and support for terrorist organizations such as Hezbollah and the continuing conflicts in Iraq, Syria and Yemen.
President Trump also specifically cited Israel's recently intelligence coup that indicated Iran was lying all along and repeatedly violating the deal. He withdraws despite a number of European diplomats trying to convince him to stay, including (interestingly enough) Boris Johnson.
To be clear, Israel's "coup" disclosed that Iran had a weapons program *prior* to the start of the agreement. None of their intelligence, or anyone else's, has suggested that Iran has pursued nuclear weapons since the inception of the agreement.
Wrong. What's truly astonishing about your claim is that EVEN people strongly in favor of the Iran deal openly admit that yes, Iran is pursuing nuclear weapons. I can quote a number of secondary sources, but here is the primary one, which you evidently didn't watch;



Meanwhile, I would love to know from what source you get that statement, or if it's editorializing?
Take it to Retaken Down otherwise I'll have to call in the big guns. This is definitely not the thread for that.
Why? Woof disputed a current event of public record. I provided sources/evidence for the claim. He did not.

It's quite telling, though, that you take issue with my factual post, but have no problem with this or this, both of which are blatantly off-topic editorializing. Hmm...I wonder why?

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 5906
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: 2018 Current Events Study Guide

Post by alietr » Wed May 09, 2018 9:52 pm

I will repeat since my earlier post was seemingly overlooked, I have no trouble with this discussion being in Reretaken Down, but please end it in this thread NOW.


You know ... or else.

User avatar
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month
Posts: 1782
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:23 pm
Location: Sherman Oaks, CA
Contact:

Re: 2018 Current Events Study Guide

Post by RandyG » Wed May 09, 2018 9:53 pm

IronNeck wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 8:22 pm
Volante wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 7:49 pm
IronNeck wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 7:24 pm
SpoilerShow
Woof wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 1:38 pm
IronNeck wrote:
Wed May 09, 2018 1:09 am


President Trump also specifically cited Israel's recently intelligence coup that indicated Iran was lying all along and repeatedly violating the deal. He withdraws despite a number of European diplomats trying to convince him to stay, including (interestingly enough) Boris Johnson.
To be clear, Israel's "coup" disclosed that Iran had a weapons program *prior* to the start of the agreement. None of their intelligence, or anyone else's, has suggested that Iran has pursued nuclear weapons since the inception of the agreement.
Wrong. What's truly astonishing about your claim is that EVEN people strongly in favor of the Iran deal openly admit that yes, Iran is pursuing nuclear weapons. I can quote a number of secondary sources, but here is the primary one, which you evidently didn't watch;



Meanwhile, I would love to know from what source you get that statement, or if it's editorializing?
Take it to Retaken Down otherwise I'll have to call in the big guns. This is definitely not the thread for that.
Why? Woof disputed a current event of public record. I provided sources/evidence for the claim. He did not.

It's quite telling, though, that you take issue with my factual post, but have no problem with this or this, both of which are blatantly off-topic editorializing. Hmm...I wonder why?
Don't be a jackass. A moderator has asked that this whole discussion be taken to another thread.
"The COMPLETE GUIDE To Republican Ethics: tRump Edition" is right ===> here

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 5984
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: 2018 Current Events Study Guide

Post by Volante » Thu May 10, 2018 11:05 am

Rick Moranis supplied his voice for Dark Helmet on a recent The Goldbergs (he was not in the suit)
He'll also be showing up in an SCTV retrospective coming out in 2019.
https://news.avclub.com/the-moranissanc ... 1825917473

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 5984
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: 2018 Current Events Study Guide

Post by Volante » Thu May 10, 2018 10:27 pm

Heck with it...it almost feels like it keeps happening because of my volcano tags earlier and doesn't want to be left out

Kilauea has been bubbling regularly on the big island of Hawaii. It might even classically erupt like a stratovolcano rather than the shield volcano it is (though not as disasterously).
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-hawa ... SKBN1IB2CA

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8745
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: 2018 Current Events Study Guide

Post by dhkendall » Sat May 12, 2018 7:40 pm

Volante wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 10:27 pm
Heck with it...it almost feels like it keeps happening because of my volcano tags earlier and doesn't want to be left out

Kilauea has been bubbling regularly on the big island of Hawaii. It might even classically erupt like a stratovolcano rather than the shield volcano it is (though not as disasterously).
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-hawa ... SKBN1IB2CA
At my last trivia outing they asked what island Kilauea was on during the current events round. Our team was evenly split between Maui and Hawaii. We chose the former even though the team scribe (me) wasn’t sure about it. Wish I saw this post then.

(In fact, as best I can tell, it was posted two hours after that question was asked at trivia!)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 5906
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: 2018 Current Events Study Guide

Post by alietr » Sun May 13, 2018 6:42 am

The Hawaiian islands are generally larger the farther south and east you go because the "hot spot" that has been creating them is moving that way. The island gets built up, the hot spot moves away, and the island begins to erode. Also, how long the hot spot is under where the island is created affects its size. Kilauea is where the hot spot is now, and is creating more of the island of Hawaii.

9021amyers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1400
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:22 am
Location: Atlanta

Re: 2018 Current Events Study Guide

Post by 9021amyers » Sun May 13, 2018 9:10 am

alietr wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 6:42 am
The Hawaiian islands are generally larger the farther south and east you go because the "hot spot" that has been creating them is moving that way. The island gets built up, the hot spot moves away, and the island begins to erode. Also, how long the hot spot is under where the island is created affects its size. Kilauea is where the hot spot is now, and is creating more of the island of Hawaii.
The hot spot under the earth’s crust doesn’t move: the tectonic plate moves over it.

User avatar
Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1386
Joined: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:12 pm
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan

Re: 2018 Current Events Study Guide

Post by Blue Lion » Sun May 13, 2018 10:53 am

Volante wrote:
Thu May 10, 2018 10:27 pm
Heck with it...it almost feels like it keeps happening because of my volcano tags earlier and doesn't want to be left out

Kilauea has been bubbling regularly on the big island of Hawaii. It might even classically erupt like a stratovolcano rather than the shield volcano it is (though not as disasterously).
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-hawa ... SKBN1IB2CA
My wife and I drove through Hawaii Volcanoes National Park when we stayed on the Big Island. Kilauea was rumbling at the time, but the park was open. At one of the observation areas, we were greeted by nenes. The nene, a species of goose, is the state bird of Hawaii. I don't know if it has come up on Jeopardy, but it often comes up on the New York Times crossword puzzle.

9021amyers
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1400
Joined: Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:22 am
Location: Atlanta

Re: 2018 Current Events Study Guide

Post by 9021amyers » Mon May 14, 2018 11:16 am

In a 7-2 decision, the Supreme Court has ruled the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act of 1992 unconditional. The law, which placed a federal ban on sports betting in states where it was not already established (namely, Nevada), was challenged by the state of New Jersey. It, along with all other states, are now free to regulate gambling on sports in the manner they wish.
Last edited by 9021amyers on Mon May 14, 2018 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
triviawayne
On the Diving Board, Ready to Jump In
Posts: 1069
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:50 pm

Re: 2018 Current Events Study Guide

Post by triviawayne » Mon May 14, 2018 11:21 am

9021amyers wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 11:16 am
In a 7-2 decision, the Supreme Court has ruled the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act of 1992 unconditional. The law, which placed a federal ban on sports betting in states where it was not already established (namely, Nevada), was challenged by the state of New Jersey. It, along with all other states, are now free regulate gambling on sports in the manner they wish.
What is interesting is that depending on where you are, most of the gambling that is done on sports that people think is illegal is actually legal.

In Pennsylvania, all those Super Bowl block games and NCAA brackets you do at work and with your friends are legal as long as all the money that goes into it is paid out of it--got that straight from the District Attorney.
Total game show career losings = $171,522

User avatar
earendel
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 510
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:22 pm
Location: mired in the bureaucracy

Re: 2018 Current Events Study Guide

Post by earendel » Mon May 14, 2018 5:15 pm

The U.S. officially opened its embassy in Jerusalem, moving it from Tel Aviv.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 9041
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: 2018 Current Events Study Guide

Post by Bamaman » Tue May 15, 2018 12:56 am

9021amyers wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 11:16 am
In a 7-2 decision, the Supreme Court has ruled the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act of 1992 unconditional. The law, which placed a federal ban on sports betting in states where it was not already established (namely, Nevada), was challenged by the state of New Jersey. It, along with all other states, are now free to regulate gambling on sports in the manner they wish.
It was actually 6-3. Breyer, Ginsburg, and Sotomayor dissented.

User avatar
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur
Posts: 5984
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2011 11:42 pm
Contact:

Re: 2018 Current Events Study Guide

Post by Volante » Tue May 15, 2018 10:44 am

Bamaman wrote:
Tue May 15, 2018 12:56 am
9021amyers wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 11:16 am
In a 7-2 decision, the Supreme Court has ruled the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act of 1992 unconditional. The law, which placed a federal ban on sports betting in states where it was not already established (namely, Nevada), was challenged by the state of New Jersey. It, along with all other states, are now free to regulate gambling on sports in the manner they wish.
It was actually 6-3. Breyer, Ginsburg, and Sotomayor dissented.
Breyer was a partial dissent. He concurred with the majority of the ruling, but they can't score it 6-1-2

User avatar
alietr
Site Admin
Posts: 5906
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2011 1:20 pm
Location: Bethesda, MD

Re: 2018 Current Events Study Guide

Post by alietr » Tue May 15, 2018 11:32 am

Dapper Tom Wolfe, novelist ("The Right Stuff", "The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test") and journalist is dead at 88.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Leander and 37 guests