TD 364 - 2017 in Review - FINAL STANDINGS

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Re: TD 364 - 2017 in Review - FINAL STANDINGS

Post by SenseiCAY »

sims wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:38 pm Man, I started out so strong...

I did really like how you jazzed up the standings and the race to the top with a narrative.
Thanks - morbeedo from TD 363 gets the credit for the jazzed up standings - I saw how he did the last one and modified my little program to output something similar.
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

classicroadster wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:58 am
xxaaaxx wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:44 pm
I will never, ever figure this game out. I've had a keen knack for picking sheep lately, even when taking time to think over my answers, and yet here I have my best wire-to-wire perfomance in ages, and it was in a TD I forgot about and had to rush to submit my answers literally 30 seconds before the deadline.
Same here...I'm running an experiment in TD 365 where I take time to submit then come back a couple days later and just sort of wing it on a piece of paper. The results through Q3: Entry, 22 points (2 sheep). Wing it: 12 points (no sheep). So maybe next one I'll just wing it without any real consideration.
I gotta try this - on TD 363, my first instinct on Q3 (alliterative names) was Chevy Chase, but then I second-guessed myself and went with Jasper Johns because I drive through Chevy Chase every week. Went from what would have been a singleton to a runaway sheep.
classicroadster
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by classicroadster »

SenseiCAY wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:47 am
I will never, ever figure this game out. I've had a keen knack for picking sheep lately, even when taking time to think over my answers, and yet here I have my best wire-to-wire perfomance in ages, and it was in a TD I forgot about and had to rush to submit my answers literally 30 seconds before the deadline.
Same here...I'm running an experiment in TD 365 where I take time to submit then come back a couple days later and just sort of wing it on a piece of paper. The results through Q3: Entry, 22 points (2 sheep). Wing it: 12 points (no sheep). So maybe next one I'll just wing it without any real consideration.
I gotta try this - on TD 363, my first instinct on Q3 (alliterative names) was Chevy Chase, but then I second-guessed myself and went with Jasper Johns because I drive through Chevy Chase every week. Went from what would have been a singleton to a runaway sheep.
Update through Q7 on TD 365. Entry: 43 points (5 sheep out of 7). Wing it: 29 points (no sheep, and 3 doubletons)...just winged it with TD 366 so we'll see!
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

classicroadster wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:54 am
Update through Q7 on TD 365. Entry: 43 points (5 sheep out of 7). Wing it: 29 points (no sheep, and 3 doubletons)...just winged it with TD 366 so we'll see!
Not too surprising. I'm gonna wing 366 and see what happens.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

SenseiCAY wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:18 am
classicroadster wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:54 am
Not too surprising. I'm gonna wing 366 and see what happens.
I'm going to start spreadsheeting TDs to figure out optimum strategy.
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

I am trying the mantra "the answer I most medium suspect" (thanks, Dwight Schrute).

I don't think it's helped.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

acthomas wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:55 pm I am trying the mantra "the answer I most medium suspect" (thanks, Dwight Schrute).

I don't think it's helped.
Darn, I was thinking of trying that. I was going to toss out the ones I usually avoid and the ones I usually go with, and select whatever was left in the middle. Now you tell me it doesn't help. I guess I'm left with blindfolded darts -- can't be any worse than how I usually score.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Thanks for running a fun TD. I look forward to your next one.

A CAUTIONARY TALE

Not to be boastful, but if I hadn't missed two questions by getting the line letters wrong, I would have had half as many points as I accrued and would have won by a country mile. (I got 11 points instead of 2 on one and 10 points instead of 2 on the other and lost the four point bonus for not using a lifeline.) There's a lesson to always check your work. I think this was the first one I entered from my phone with its tiny screen and perhaps I dictated the answers and the phone or autocorrect changed it. For TD 365, which I had already submitted before the reveal on this one went south, the host graciously PMed me my submission and let me recheck it. TD 366, which I submitted today, did not require any letters.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

SenseiCAY wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:25 am
sims wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:38 pm Man, I started out so strong...

I did really like how you jazzed up the standings and the race to the top with a narrative.
Thanks - morbeedo from TD 363 gets the credit for the jazzed up standings - I saw how he did the last one and modified my little program to output something similar.
Nooo, vermonter gets all the credit, not stupid old me :P
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Wpwells wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:30 am I'm going to start spreadsheeting TDs to figure out optimum strategy.
Or better still, spreadsheet my TD answers and do the opposite.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Very clever TD, SenseiCAY. Thanks for hosting it. Most enjoyable.
SenseiCAY
Jeopardy Participant

Post by SenseiCAY »

floridagator wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:08 pm Thanks for running a fun TD. I look forward to your next one.

A CAUTIONARY TALE

Not to be boastful, but if I hadn't missed two questions by getting the line letters wrong, I would have had half as many points as I accrued and would have won by a country mile. (I got 11 points instead of 2 on one and 10 points instead of 2 on the other and lost the four point bonus for not using a lifeline.) There's a lesson to always check your work. I think this was the first one I entered from my phone with its tiny screen and perhaps I dictated the answers and the phone or autocorrect changed it. For TD 365, which I had already submitted before the reveal on this one went south, the host graciously PMed me my submission and let me recheck it. TD 366, which I submitted today, did not require any letters.
Yeah, sorry about that - I'm probably going to stop requiring letters on questions where it's not matching one list of answers to another list - requiring it only seems to catch people making silly mistakes, not people who actually mistake one answer for another. You certainly made it interesting despite those two answers.
Wpwells

Post by Wpwells »

SenseiCAY wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:21 am
floridagator wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:08 pm Thanks for running a fun TD. I look forward to your next one.

A CAUTIONARY TALE

Yeah, sorry about that - I'm probably going to stop requiring letters on questions where it's not matching one list of answers to another list - requiring it only seems to catch people making silly mistakes, not people who actually mistake one answer for another. You certainly made it interesting despite those two answers.
No need to apologize. Attention to detail is certainly an issue in trivia. I think this is akin to an RTFQ error in LL.